Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Spoiler -- it's already been decided.  Cornyn is the lead negotiator on the issue, and he already said "no new gun laws."  He made some weak-ass allusion to "mental health stuff" and "school safety."  The only possible McConaughey issue that could overlap with is red flag laws, and I guarandamntee you that the GQP won't agree to anything that makes it harder for any individual to acquire or possess a firearm.

They’re going to punt the issue to the state legislatures who we know will do nothing. 

33 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

But we do. Canada's guns and Mexico's guns come from the United States. Mexico owes it's gun violence problem to guns brought in from the United States.

I figured I’d get that response. There’s a difference between selling and trafficking. Mexicans and Canadians can’t walk into their local gun store or gun show and buy an American-made assault rifle. As for the gun problem in Mexico, the American “War on Drugs” has something to do with that and that’s another failed policy that we should fix. 

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Spoiler -- it's already been decided.  Cornyn is the lead negotiator on the issue, and he already said "no new gun laws."  He made some weak-ass allusion to "mental health stuff" and "school safety."  The only possible McConaughey issue that could overlap with is red flag laws, and I guarandamntee you that the GQP won't agree to anything that makes it harder for any individual to acquire or possess a firearm.

Yeah, I heard something this morning on the news about Cornyn saying negotiations take time and Schumer shouldn’t rush a vote. I figured that meant the GOP just wants to delay so they can wind up doing nothing at all. As usual.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

Is it because he knows much of his constituency could not pass the background check?

If you're not crazy what do you have to fear?  If you don't beat your wife what do you have to fear? If you did not plan to storm the Capitol what do you have to fear? If you don't set plans to kidnap and execute your Governor what do you have to fear?

They want to keep the Proud Boys and 3% groups happy even though they are domestic terrorist groups.

Some background. If you engage in the buying and selling of firearms for profit, you're a dealer. If you're a dealer, you must be federally licensed (FFL) and conduct background checks. 

If you only sell guns occassionally, you're probably not a dealer. But per the ATF, dumb fucks have been convicted after selling as few as 2 firearms because they present themselves as dealers. Anyway, the legitimate, occasional, dude to dude sales are the only sales today that don't require background checks. As just dudes, they don't have access to the database to run a check. Per politifact, 13% of firearms are sold this way.

So there are 2 ways to get expanded background checks:

1 - give everyone access to NICS? Maybe every SSN is allowed to run a free criminal background check once a year? NICS was established in '98 when this shit was nearly all done over the phone so only giving FFLs access to NICS made sense. Given the internet, it seems like it could be expanded without requiring more man power.

2 - (this is what's commonly proposed) require every sale to go through a licensed dealer. This will cost $25-$35 and be added to the purchase price paid by the buyer. Seems reasonable.

Some will argue it's unenforceable without a registry. They're currently largely correct:

Today if an investigator finds a firearm used in a crime and they want to trace it, they contact the manufacturer who tells them which wholesaler or dealer (FFL) it went to. Then the investigator contacts the dealer to see who bought it. He finds the relevant 4473 form. Then they contact that dude to see what he knows... Texas does not require a person to report lost or stolen guns. Only ~11 states did as of 2017... So unless that changes, the dude could simply lie. That's a lot of effort for what may be a dead end.

But of course there's more!

When an FFL dies or goes out of business their pile of 4473s go to the ATF. The ATF has allegedly been digitizing these. Annually, FFLs are subject to inspection. The right wing claims the ATF is taking pictures of 4473s during these inspections to digitize recent purchases. That may all be total bullshit but the ATF is providing FFLs with an eForm 4473 so if they're not already digitized, they will be one day. 

It's not exactly a huge leap to see how the ATF could end up with a database that's maybe 1 year behind new purchases. 

And that's exactly why gun owners want to retain the private sale. It makes it more difficult to create an accurate database. 

So let's say universal background checks pass along with a new AWB. It grandfathers in existing firearms, and the actual impact of these new laws is small... So then there's another terrible school shooting that requires more laws. The ATF has a pretty accurate database now. The AWB is amended or the ATF simply changes one of their definitions so a certain firearm or fire control group or whatever is now considered a machine gun and must be turned in... It seems crazy but this is where many gun owners are when it comes to trusting the ATF. So thats why there will be big push back against something seemingly very minor like universal background checks.

If that sounds fucking dumb to you, Google AutoKeyCard to see a recent example of what can be considered a machine gun.

ALTERNATIVELY, If you simply require lost or stolen firearms to be reported AND give the public limited access to NICS you can require universal background checks without any additional concerns (warranted or not) of an ATF registry.

idc laughing GIF

4 minutes ago, B00M said:

If that sounds fucking dumb to you, Google AutoKeyCard to see a recent example of what can be considered a machine gun.

What's especially wild is that when you combine that ATF rule/ruling with how some IP law is going, merely having a picture of the necessary geometry and a GlowForge or other CNC cutting tools could potentially get you in trouble. 

Gun laws in this country, much like everything else maligned by the GQP, have intentionally been made as shitty and cumbersome as possible. Because then they can easily argue to other uncritical chuds that "WeLl iTs ThIS bAd AlReAdY - think how bad MORE will be!" and the cycle continues. It's crazy how effective the tactic is

• Hook 'Em 2

Was just coming here to post that video. But you know what? I'm sure as he laid there bleeding out and listening to 11 of his students getting murdered, I'm sure he was secretly grateful that AR's are around to take care of our hog problem in the state since there are without a doubt no other ways to deal with it. Take away ARs and we're staring at Planet of the Hogs.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

15 minutes ago, B00M said:

Some background. If you engage in the buying and selling of firearms for profit, you're a dealer. If you're a dealer, you must be federally licensed (FFL) and conduct background checks. 

LOL. Right. Because all arms dealers adhere to those rules. 

7 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

This is so fucking heartbreaking and infuriating. As a husband of an elementary educator I think it’s important to explain how close these teachers become with these students at such a young age. To think every single student of his that was in the classroom at the time was murdered in front of him is unfathomable.

That guy will never be the same, physically or emotionally but what is Texas going to do about it?  Make him carry a gun in case it happens again.

• Rage+1 4

Man, that video.  That poor man.  I don't even know what else to say, other than the fact he's not alone in his experience is the most flat-fucking enraging part of all of this.  It just keeps happening, over and over, and men and women like him who were "lucky" enough to survive have to live with the aftershock as long as they live, all because a bunch of Republicans have gun boners and their elected officials are whores to the gun lobby.

• Rage+1 1

57 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I totally agree with you.   When the whole feral pig rabbit hole started I was merely replying to @'stache when he said something along the lines of nobody hunts or should hunt with an AR (I don't recall the exact words and I'm not attempting to misquote him) and I pointed out that I do use the AR platform for pig hunting / eradication.  

My comment was never meant to be a major talking point but only pointing out a fact that it is a tool I use.  A tool just like the other rifles I own and use.  

I didn't realize the comment would become such a derail.  See.....feral pigs cause untold problems.

Lo siento.  

You purposely interjected the idea that AR-15s are a useful tool for pig hunting for a reason, opposing the idea they serve no other purpose than killing people. 

You are a responsible gun owner, and and you believe you have a right to use the AR-15 tool to eradicate pigs. The other side is arguing that restricting the right could help reduce the kids shot in face problem. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

LOL. Right. Because all arms dealers adhere to those rules. 

I'd never thought about that. The only FFL I knew personally was a straight shooter and never would've risked his freedom like that. 

But I looked it up 

130,525 active FFLs

{ONLY} 5,827 firearm compliance inspections in FY 2020. Given such limited inspections you would hope they target the FFLs that raise flags. Is this decent compliance or a big problem?

Capture+_2022-06-07-12-56-22.png

Capture+_2022-06-07-12-57-08.png

19 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

Was just coming here to post that video. But you know what? I'm sure as he laid there bleeding out and listening to 11 of his students getting murdered, I'm sure he was secretly grateful that AR's are around to take care of our hog problem in the state since there are without a doubt no other ways to deal with it. Take away ARs and we're staring at Planet of the Hogs.

A mature society would handle the hog vs. dead kids dilemma the way Australia reformed their gun laws.  They would provide access to various types of firearms based on established need.  A landowner or property manager or hog eradication business is able to establish the need for a semi auto, large capacity, high velocity rifle, etc. to manage certain wildlife, then they would get a license for it.  Once that license expires, when that company goes out of business, or the property manager retires to an old persons home, the firearm is returned/sold back to a dealer. 

To do all that though we would need to have a mature and responsible political environment to make laws. Muh freedom and anti-gov jack offs having weight in the GOP prevents that

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  They used their normal tactic of delay, saying they want to talk about it and then offer...nothing.  Mental illness is not the issue of course, guns and ammo are.  Strengthening school "defenses"?  The fuck we want school fortresses for?  We don't.  We want common sense gun safety laws. But until the Senate somehow gets fixed, we're never getting them.

image.png.e1d3c2b55bf61f1798f742290f75ec79.png

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

If, as is being reported, that nothing being negotiated in Washington would have interfered with the murderous plans of the Uvalde killer, then Senator Murphy’s question still stands - what are we doing?

masturbating

makes you feel good but doesn't change anything other than your personal serotonin levels

14 minutes ago, B00M said:

I'd never thought about that. The only FFL I knew personally was a straight shooter and never would've risked his freedom like that. 

But I looked it up 

130,525 active FFLs

{ONLY} 5,827 firearm compliance inspections in FY 2020. Given such limited inspections you would hope they target the FFLs that raise flags. Is this decent compliance or a big problem?

Capture+_2022-06-07-12-56-22.png

Capture+_2022-06-07-12-57-08.png

When I was in school, I had a pot dealer who told me he could get me a gun. I suspect that whomever he would’ve gotten it from was either his pot dealer or one of his customers. I would imagine that most guns used by various street gangs of all types are obtained on the black market. I never took him up on the offer.

Once when I was making a large purchase of legal fireworks (after signing a form swearing I would take them out of Ohio in order to use them), the licensed owner of the store approached me and offered to show me some items in the little warehouse out back for which they didn’t have room on the shelves to display. I’m certain he was offering me the chance to buy illegal fireworks. So that would be a way that a licensed dealer could get illegal fireworks into the community. The same is probably true of licensed gun dealers, too. I didn’t take that guy up on the offer, either. (Sometimes I regret that.)

Profit motive is a powerful force and a lot of people are willing to skirt the rules. Most of them never get caught and official statistics won’t reflect that reality.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah fuck those with any conservative views at all 

Yes. Fuck them.  They and you are personally responsible for each death in Uvalde. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

I applaud your efforts.  But masses like you won't move the needle with any Republican in Congress.  They'll tune out the typical voting citizens, no matter how many marches they schedule and no matter how many emails they send.  Maybe they'll listen if some of the wealthy donors and PACs start suggesting that they might want to consider some kinda half-baked gun control legislation.  But we could have 20 more school shootings between now and November and it won't affect the midterms.

I don't disagree, but I'm not going to sit and say I did absolutely nothing. Fuck that.

I think the sane side needs to go hard against the insane side. Label them what they are - SOFT on terrorism. SOFT on public safety. SOFT on preventing mass shootings.

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I think the sane side needs to go hard against the insane side. Label them what they are - SOFT on terrorism. SOFT on public safety. SOFT on preventing mass shootings.

They can call Greg Abbott just plain soft, amirite?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

19 fourth graders and 2 teachers. Two weeks later we get this sort of garbage. I cannot explain how livid and frustrated I am. 

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Holy shit. Preach, man. You are saying what literally millions of us are thinking, saying, screaming.

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Check me if I'm wrong, Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key.

We can do that... we don't even have to have a reason.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread