Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Not all conversations need to happen with our children.  The kids who were massacred in Sandy Hook were 6-7 years old.  That age is too young to discuss this sickness of the right and the impotence of the left to do something about it.   We absolutely should show the carnage of Parkland, Uvalde and others.  The right seems to revel in showing aborted fetus images they should see the aftermath of this.  

But the young ones should not be having this crap in their heads.   Just as they shouldn't have 5.56 in their bodies. 

Too late. If you didn't want that, we shouldn't have started doing school shooter drills as often as tornado and fire drills. Kids already have that shit in their heads from school and being taught how to survive a free fire situation.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Not all conversations need to happen with our children.  The kids who were massacred in Sandy Hook were 6-7 years old.  That age is too young to discuss this sickness of the right and the impotence of the left to do something about it.   We absolutely should show the carnage of Parkland, Uvalde and others.  The right seems to revel in showing aborted fetus images they should see the aftermath of this.  

But the young ones should not be having this crap in their heads.   Just as they shouldn't have 5.56 in their bodies. 

Ah, so you mean literally the child actor shouldn't be brought into this? 

Because that ad isn't meant for children to see, but for voters.

8 minutes ago, Nivek said:

And for the record, I haven't talked to my young kid about this even though privately it's been a huge issue in my mind. He need to be thinking about Pokemon and Minecraft, not if a gunman is going to come shoot up his classroom.

And for the record, I haven't talked to my young kid about this even though privately it's been a huge issue in my mind. He need to be thinking about Pokemon and Minecraft, not if a gunman is going to come shoot up his classroom.

I was born in 72. Used to have the dreams/nightmares about nuclear war and the aftermath. Most kids I knew did as well.

Mass shootings fills that headspace for kids today. I really wish we would do something about it.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, Tuco said:

I was born in 72. Used to have the dreams/nightmares about nuclear war and the aftermath. Most kids I knew did as well.

Mass shootings fills that headspace for kids today. I really wish we would do something about it.

had the same realization the other day myself. this feels a lot different, though. more real and the threat is from within

14 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Same. I'll be 50 in a couple months. The crazy thing is we could really do nothing about total destruction via nuclear war. But we have every tool we need to cut back -- if not totally eliminate -- gun violence in schools but a certain segment just will not entertain undertaking even the most basic measures to try and curb it just a tiny bit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

had the same realization the other day myself. this feels a lot different, though. more real and the threat is from within

It is different.  Nuclear war was a threat that really never materialized.   Mass shootings are a common place.  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Tuco said:

There are many things we could do about it, but there’s a vocal minority of citizens and a powerful lobby that has bought and paid for the politicians on one side of the aisle that won’t allow or even entertain doing anything about it.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Here’s some good news:

CHICAGO (AP) — Most U.S. adults want to see gun laws made stricter and think gun violence is increasing nationwide, according to a new poll that finds broad public support for a variety of gun restrictions, including many that are supported by majorities of Republicans and gun owners.

The poll by the University of Chicago Harris School of Public Policy and The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Researchshows 71% of Americans say gun laws should be stricter, including about half of Republicans, the vast majority of Democrats and a majority of those in gun-owning households.

The poll was conducted between July 28 and Aug. 1, after a string of deadly mass shootings — from a New York grocery store to a school in Texas and a July 4 parade in Illinois — and a 2020 spike in gun killings that have increased attention on the issue of gun violence. Overall, 8 in 10 Americans perceive that gun violence is increasing around the country, and about two-thirds say it's increasing in their state, though less than half believe it's increasing in their community, the poll shows.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:31 AM, fattyflattie said:

I can tell you from talking with the neighbors that they appear more prepared, and have actually put in measures more than a door lock. So sure, they aren’t immune from it. Maybe you should take a look and see which schools have had the issue. Pretty, pretty sure the column stacks up hard on one side. 

Let's see if we can put on our big brain thinking caps and identify what might be a contributing factor here:

• Traditional public schools: 91,328
  • Public charter schools: 7,427
  • Private schools: 32,461

Education Statistics: Facts About American Schools

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Let's see if we can put on our big brain thinking caps and identify what might be a contributing factor here:

There’s no point in arguing with him. Some people are stupid, some choose to be. He’s the latter.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/17/2022 at 3:39 PM, Nivek said:

I get the sentiment, but kids adapt. I grew up doing nuclear attack practice in grade school. Fallout shelter signs were common. The children still play in war zones. 

I have no children, so maybe I'm way off, but I think we shelter them too much anyway. Americans (suburban ones and mostly white) want childhood to be a sterile bubble. 

The tourniquet training is something that should be learned by everyone because I've read that many injuries in addition to gunshot wounds can be profoundly mitigated by simple training on putting pressure on a wound and applying a tourniquet where possible.  The article I read suggested we all have tourniquets on or near us for first aid.

If Trauma Babe has already weighed in, I of course defer to her or any other medical professionals.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/17/2022 at 7:59 PM, Nivek said:

It is different.  Nuclear war was a threat that really never materialized.   Mass shootings are a common place.  

That would seem to argue for preparing kids, no?

I'm a week behind on this thread. Better shut up until I catch up.

• Hook 'Em 1

The reasoning behind trauma first aid being taught in schools now is abhorrent, but it's something that should have been included as a part of our public education for a long time, much like financial literacy.

But can parents trust the science of first aid to not be woke??

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

The reasoning behind trauma first aid being taught in schools now is abhorrent, but it's something that should have been included as a part of our public education for a long time, much like financial literacy.

But can parents trust the science of first aid to not be woke??

Back in the 80s, our HS taught bandaging techniques as part of the 9th or 10th grade health curriculum.

No sure students in the primary grades (K-2) are ready to learn how to apply first aid to gunshot victims. 

On 8/23/2022 at 4:38 PM, Satchel said:

Here’s some good news:

CHICAGO (AP) — Most U.S. adults want to see gun laws made stricter and think gun violence is increasing nationwide, according to a new poll that finds broad public support for a variety of gun restrictions, including many that are supported by majorities of Republicans and gun owners.

The poll by the University of Chicago Harris School of Public Policy and The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Researchshows 71% of Americans say gun laws should be stricter, including about half of Republicans, the vast majority of Democrats and a majority of those in gun-owning households.

The poll was conducted between July 28 and Aug. 1, after a string of deadly mass shootings — from a New York grocery store to a school in Texas and a July 4 parade in Illinois — and a 2020 spike in gun killings that have increased attention on the issue of gun violence. Overall, 8 in 10 Americans perceive that gun violence is increasing around the country, and about two-thirds say it's increasing in their state, though less than half believe it's increasing in their community, the poll shows.

Means fuck all while we continue to suffer under minority rule. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

For wanting to stop more Uvaldes, we sure seem to be doing the opposite. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/08/25/federal-court-texas-21-handguns/

18 year old shoots up a school with an AR? Better make it easier for 18 year olds to buy and carry handguns too, just to be safe. 

was going to post this as well.  

Why activist judges suck on the right.  The society that people lived in the 1700-1800s is a far cry from today.  Firearms back then were technologically inferior and the law allows for changes in technology to adapt.  Plus a 18 yr old cannot purchase a handgun but can possess it?  If that is the case does the minor in possession (alcohol) get tossed out due to precedence? 

20 minutes ago, HornPhD said:

Back in the 80s, our HS taught bandaging techniques as part of the 9th or 10th grade health curriculum.

No sure students in the primary grades (K-2) are ready to learn how to apply first aid to gunshot victims. 

In the absence of meaningful action by the state, it's better than nothing. They are plenty old enough for standard first aid, at the very least (which I wasn't taught until almost high school lol what a joke)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I get the sentiment, but kids adapt. I grew up doing nuclear attack practice in grade school. Fallout shelter signs were common. The children still play in war zones. 

I have no children, so maybe I'm way off, but I think we shelter them too much anyway. Americans (suburban ones and mostly white) want childhood to be a sterile bubble. 

The tourniquet training is something that should be learned by everyone because I've read that many injuries in addition to gunshot wounds can be profoundly mitigated by simple training on putting pressure on a wound and applying a tourniquet where possible.  The article I read suggested we all have tourniquets on or near us for first aid.

If Trauma Babe has already weighed in, I of course defer to her or any other medical professionals.

I wondered this as well.  I know some young women who had an insecure childhood, no stability, evictions, and limited education.  Their dreams are crap, their ability to work as a laborer is good but their ability to work for a goal is just garbage.  Their ability to reason through decisions is garbage and their focus is on the immediate gratification.    They have a good work ethic but they are fools with money.  

My kids live in la-la land.  They are much younger and have bank accounts.  They have money for school and are working towards saving money.   They earn some and spend a portion and the rest goes into their account.   Two of the boys want to be doctors.  My daughter wants to be a singer.  My sons promised to each give her $10,000 a month.   My boys are 10 and 5.  This is what they should be doing.  Not worrying about the proper procedure to treat gunshot victims.   

Our values are completely fucked if we think little kids shouldn't live in a world of disney, but train them for a world of Fallujah.  

17 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

In the absence of meaningful action by the state, it's better than nothing. They are plenty old enough for standard first aid, at the very least (which I wasn't taught until almost high school lol what a joke)

I get your point.

Here is an example health and safety unit for 1st grade:

Unit II: Safety, First Aid, and Injury Prevention

MSC Standard: Students will demonstrate the ability to apply prevention and intervention knowledge, skills, and processes to promote safe living in the home, school, and community.

Objectives- The student will be able to:
a. Practice basic safety rules to be used in the home
– Kitchen safety
– Harmful products
– 911 for emergencies
– Gun safety
– Safety around pets and other animals
b. Describe how to respond appropriately to emergency situations
– Minor injuries (cuts, scrapes, splinters, etc.)
– Choking
– Calling 911
– Storms/Floods

c. Practice basic safety rules to be used in the community
– Crossing the street safely
– Wearing seatbelt in car
– School Bus Safety
d. Give examples of confusing and uncomfortable feelings
e. Identify the three types of touches: okay, not okay, and confusing
f. Use the “No, Go, Tell, Keep Telling” strategy for personal body safety
g. Identify adults who can help in an abusive situation.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

They literally just lowered the age for handguns.

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

was going to post this as well.  

Why activist judges suck on the right.  The society that people lived in the 1700-1800s is a far cry from today.  Firearms back then were technologically inferior and the law allows for changes in technology to adapt.  Plus a 18 yr old cannot purchase a handgun but can possess it?  If that is the case does the minor in possession (alcohol) get tossed out due to precedence? 

This decision is just legally absurd to me. So the founders didn't envision any limitations whatsoever to a personal right to have a firearm for an adult? They would have never imagined the fantastical nightmare of gun violence we're experiencing. And anyway, why stop there, where's all the founder statements about "adults" and what age they envisioned that being. I just don't see any real guiding principles at work here. Garbage. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

My daughter wants to be a singer.  My sons promised to each give her $10,000 a month.   My boys are 10 and 5.  This is what they should be doing.

Your young sons should not be worrying about how they are going to support their deadbeat sister later in life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

tuesday was my daugther's first day back. At the drop off, there were 5 or 6 cops from four different agencies (PD, sheriff, DPS, BP) standing around the entrance. One had a rifle in a sling at the ready position.

what the fuck kind of world do we live in?

A republican one. thank the next one you see.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

tuesday was my daugther's first day back. At the drop off, there were 5 or 6 cops from four different agencies (PD, sheriff, DPS, BP) standing around the entrance. One had a rifle in a sling at the ready position.

what the fuck kind of world do we live in?

The kind where children are routinely slaughtered in schools and we do fuck all to stop it.  Also, @immamac, wtf with this ygifs guy?

54 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

The kind where children are routinely slaughtered in schools and we do fuck all to stop it.  Also, @immamac, wtf with this ygifs guy?

What the fuck did I do?  Some words online about Trump supporters doing harm to others which has actually happened in real life?  don't lump in with those fuckers

You equate letters on a screen with physical violence in the real world?  Seinfeld trivia night get you twisted up from reality man?  

Edited by YGIFS

Your young sons should not be worrying about how they are going to support their deadbeat sister later in life.

They are not worried. They want to help her. The oldest wants a lambo, the youngest wants to be a snake, but since he cannot he’s settling on being a doctor. I told him law was the equivalent of his first suggestion but he declined.
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

They are not worried. They want to help her. The oldest wants a lambo, the youngest wants to be a snake, but since he cannot he’s settling on being a doctor. I told him law was the equivalent of his first suggestion but he declined.

This him?

image.png.eb6d40f3539a8e6cb8d1bfc21a1fc052.png

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

What the fuck did I do?  Some words online about Trump supporters doing harm to others which has actually happened in real life?  don't lump in with those fuckers

You equate letters on a screen with physical violence in the real world?  Seinfeld trivia night get you twisted up from reality man?  

Lobo, give it a rest

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

So that begs, what’s the ratio of public to private shooting incidents. I can think of a dozen of one, and not a single one of the other, even though they make up 20% of all schools. 

8 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

There’s no point in arguing with him. Some people are stupid, some choose to be. He’s the latter.

I know I’ve told you this before. But you’re the only one who’s insults actually cut. From your other posts I truly believe you are learning disabled. I know it’s uncouth to bring up whatever you have going on up there, but for fucks sake, leave the name calling to people aren’t bereft of even a high school intelligence. 

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

So that begs, what’s the ratio of public to private shooting incidents. I can think of a dozen of one, and not a single one of the other, even though they make up 20% of all schools. 

I don't know that ratio, which is exactly why I used the phrase "what might be a contributing factor here".  I mean, if you won't even account for the greater than 3:1 ratio of public to private schools when you are presupposing your scorecard, then you aren't arguing in good faith.

50 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Lobo, give it a rest

7 year old had an active shooter drill today.  I was with the "dad's club" group to help with dropoff and had to listen to parents complain about it...that it was too much for kids to handle.  So how about this?.......you give yourself and your cunt of a fucking gaping shitheap of a brain a rest and mind your fucking business.  When we need to hear from a fucking taint...we'll call you fuckface.  Shut your fucking mouth and know your fucking place in lower-middle life in American shitbag.  

• Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

7 year old had an active shooter drill today.  I was with the "dad's club" group to help with dropoff and had to listen to parents complain about it...that it was too much for kids to handle.  So how about this?.......you give yourself and your cunt of a fucking gaping shitheap of a brain a rest and mind your fucking business.  When we need to hear from a fucking taint...we'll call you fuckface.  Shut your fucking mouth and know your fucking place in lower-middle life in American shitbag.  

Somebody needs a wellness call, and a permaban.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't know that ratio, which is exactly why I used the phrase "what might be a contributing factor here".  I mean, if you won't even account for the greater than 3:1 ratio of public to private schools when you are presupposing your scorecard, then you aren't arguing in good faith.

That’s fine, I’m actually surprised there are that many privates. I’ll take a look at some point but I’d guess the ratio of incidents is 25:1. 

7 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Shouldn't you be in a meeting or something?

12 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3