Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

On 8/26/2022 at 7:11 PM, YGIFS said:

7 year old had an active shooter drill today.  I was with the "dad's club" group to help with dropoff and had to listen to parents complain about it...that it was too much for kids to handle.  So how about this?.......you give yourself and your cunt of a fucking gaping shitheap of a brain a rest and mind your fucking business.  When we need to hear from a fucking taint...we'll call you fuckface.  Shut your fucking mouth and know your fucking place in lower-middle life in American shitbag.  

ron burgundy GIF

• Haha 1

Good Lord, that's horrible.  What ever happened to just blowing whatever you had left on strippers and coke, or pulling a Colonel Slade from "Scent of a Woman" in Manhattan?  

That awkward moment when you hear a gun violence apologist say, "There's lot's of things that can kill.  We can't ban cars, or knives, or a book of matches."  Uh thanks for giving 'em ideas asshole...

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Hey @MC Fresh Breath sorry to hear about this.  Hope all is cool with you.  

Wasn’t on the interwebs last night, so just now finding out.  Sad news all around.  Appreciate the thoughts, Judge.  

Edit:  Bend subreddit indicates it was a kid/young person and there's a 'manifesto' floating about.  Supposedly a colombine fetishist. 

Second edit:  I'm not the only Surly member out here.  I'll be checking in with the other I know to make sure he is OK.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 1

Other Surly member is OK as well.

Watching Police presser.   Shooter was 20 years old.  Two dead, one an 84 year old shopper.  The other a 66 year old Safeway employee who engaged the shooter.  A hero.   Shooter died from self inflicted wound.   Cops found molotov cocktails in shooter's vechicle and a sawed off shotgun as well.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Other Surly member is OK as well.

Watching Police presser.   Shooter was 20 years old.  Two dead, one an 84 year old shopper.  The other a 66 year old Safeway employee who engaged the shooter.  A hero.   Shooter died from self inflicted wound.   Cops found molotov cocktails in shooter's vechicle and a sawed off shotgun as well.

So the shooter was both a bad guy with a gun AND a good guy with a gun

As this seems to be the CR thread for discussing gun issues......hey fellow Texans, how do you feel about the fact that the Texas GQP effectively raised taxes on each and every Texan by around $20-30 per year for one purpose: to declare how much we love AR-15s?

That's right, for no reason other than "we love AR-15s SO MUCH, that if you don't love them as much as we do, you are BANNED from doing business with the state!", the Texas GQP passed a law that will cost Texas taxpayers $500 million to nearly $1 billion a year in extra taxes.  See, most of your basic public infrastructure -- the kind of things you depend on every day, like water systems, sewers, and roads -- are financed by government bonds.  Your local city borrows $500 million to repair and replace your local sewer system, which is falling apart.  You pay for that debt over a period of 20-30 years, just like your home mortgage, including interest.  This is how large projects get done, nationwide (not unique here).  So, with the added cost of interest being part of the bill, one would think that we'd want to be aggressive about finding the lowest rate, and that would be top priority.  Not here, though.  HERE, the top priority is showing how enthusiastically you can masturbate to guns.

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/29/1119973904/texans-are-paying-for-states-ban-on-business-when-firms-stop-investing-in-firear

DAVIES: Daniel Garrett of the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania studied the impact of Texas' anti-ESG laws on the state's municipal bond borrowing. He says the top five lenders left the Texas municipal bond market because they wouldn't support the manufacturing of AR-15-style weapons, the kind of gun used in the Uvalde school massacre.

GARRETT: The banks definitely think they're having an impact. They think these policies are worth leaving Texas over.

DAVIES: Garrett estimates the Texas laws have reduced competition and cost Texas taxpayers an extra 300- to $500 million so far this year in extra interest. Still, those firms are sticking with their ESG policies.

So, the super-cool part of living in Texas is that our insane gun fetish doesn't just costs us in shattered lives and broken bodies, it also costs us CASH MONEY, each and every one of us.  Even you, gun fetishists.  Your family of four pays an extra $80-120 a year in taxes, fees, and charges, JUST for the empty gesture of our legislature making a show of how much it loves guns.

Anyone tired of all the "winning" yet?

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

This thread has several lines of discussion. If including events that put the phrase “well regulated militia” into sharp contrast, but are not about mass shootings, belong in another thread, please point me to that thread.

Are bullets still the number one cause of death among children now that we are back on the highways?

Edited by Willfully Horn
Poor spelling

Back in the 80s, our HS taught bandaging techniques as part of the 9th or 10th grade health curriculum.
No sure students in the primary grades (K-2) are ready to learn how to apply first aid to gunshot victims. 

CSB: Back in the early 90s my HS health class went to the ROTC rifle range we had on campus. We shot .22 rifles at paper targets and got our hunter safety license.

It was a bit redundant for me as I had already gotten my hunter safety certification in 8th grade PE.

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Republicans stopped caring about that baby’s life 5 months ago.

If they ever rid. There are minds to win nevertheless. The ubiquity of evidence that firearms are poorly regulated and have created an unsafe society needs to cease with the background drone and become discordant cacophony that cannot be ignored.

On 9/1/2022 at 12:07 PM, Brisketexan said:

As this seems to be the CR thread for discussing gun issues......hey fellow Texans, how do you feel about the fact that the Texas GQP effectively raised taxes on each and every Texan by around $20-30 per year for one purpose: to declare how much we love AR-15s?

That's right, for no reason other than "we love AR-15s SO MUCH, that if you don't love them as much as we do, you are BANNED from doing business with the state!", the Texas GQP passed a law that will cost Texas taxpayers $500 million to nearly $1 billion a year in extra taxes.  See, most of your basic public infrastructure -- the kind of things you depend on every day, like water systems, sewers, and roads -- are financed by government bonds.  Your local city borrows $500 million to repair and replace your local sewer system, which is falling apart.  You pay for that debt over a period of 20-30 years, just like your home mortgage, including interest.  This is how large projects get done, nationwide (not unique here).  So, with the added cost of interest being part of the bill, one would think that we'd want to be aggressive about finding the lowest rate, and that would be top priority.  Not here, though.  HERE, the top priority is showing how enthusiastically you can masturbate to guns.

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/29/1119973904/texans-are-paying-for-states-ban-on-business-when-firms-stop-investing-in-firear

So, the super-cool part of living in Texas is that our insane gun fetish doesn't just costs us in shattered lives and broken bodies, it also costs us CASH MONEY, each and every one of us.  Even you, gun fetishists.  Your family of four pays an extra $80-120 a year in taxes, fees, and charges, JUST for the empty gesture of our legislature making a show of how much it loves guns.

Anyone tired of all the "winning" yet?

That's just the price of freedom, libtard! 

First day of school for Uvalde.

Glad that Texas used those three months since 19 fourth graders and two teachers were murdered constructively to ensure that it never happens again.

18 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Glad that Texas used those three months since 19 fourth graders and two teachers were murdered constructively to ensure that it never happens again.

I saw a Uvalde parent on the news this morning lamenting that his son was terrified that the cops wouldn't be brave enough to stop another shooting.  He wanted "new cops".  Poor kid.

20 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Hey man, we had a door locking drill the first week of school.  And we're having a district town hall zoom on the 15th, the exact same night...I shit you night...as the booster club social for parents at Abel's on the Lake.  I don't fault the district leadership, it's the fucking school board trying to talk about anything except root causes.

Anyway, at the doors locking/active shooter drill, it was pretty much what it's always been with one more horrifying change.  If during a lockdown, students see an opened door, they should quickly inform a teacher or staffer.  If no teacher or staffer is nearby, the student should attempt to close the door and ensure it has locked itself.  Yeah, my second grader gets to play Hall Cop in the event of an active shooter.  This is the best we've come up with so we don't upset Gov. Shitheap.

• Rage+1 1

30 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Our school district decided to have students mark this day by wearing maroon or white to "honor" the victims of the Uvalde mass shooting.  I have a hard time wrapping my head around this hollow "thoughts and prayers - lite" other than it makes the magats in charge feel better about supporting politicians that can't be bothered to do a single fucking thing to actually address the root of the problem.

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I saw a Uvalde parent on the news this morning lamenting that his son was terrified that the cops wouldn't be brave enough to stop another shooting.  He wanted "new cops".  Poor kid.

And some of the kids refusing to ever set foot in a classroom again. Fuck you, Hot Wheels.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/06/us/uvalde-back-to-school/index.html

(CNN)Zayon Martinez spent his final hour of second grade hiding under a desk while bullets flew through Robb Elementary School.

By the end of the carnage, 19 of his schoolmates and two teachers were killed. Now Zayon, who's supposed to start third grade Tuesday, doesn't want to set foot in another classroom, his father said.

"I went and talked to my son and I told him, 'They're gonna have more cops. They're gonna have higher fencing. And he wasn't having it," said Zayon's father, Adam Martinez.

"He said, 'It doesn't matter. They're not gonna protect us.'"

• Rage+1 4

2 hours ago, The Royal We said:

Our school district decided to have students mark this day by wearing maroon or white to "honor" the victims of the Uvalde mass shooting.  I have a hard time wrapping my head around this hollow "thoughts and prayers - lite" other than it makes the magats in charge feel better about supporting politicians that can't be bothered to do a single fucking thing to actually address the root of the problem.

My wife came home from dropping the boy off and said she forgot he was supposed to wear maroon today in honor of the Uvalde kids and felt bad. And my first response was does he even own anything maroon? Second was, what's the point? So the people who won't make any changes to gun control laws or leadership in Texas can feel like they did something? It's basically a Facebook profile picture filter. Useless.

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 3

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

he wants new cops? Get in line kid.

5 hours ago, The Royal We said:

ditto for my district and ditto for me.

thoughts and prayers and wear maroon. Now I feel better, back to my regularly scheduled programming.

This is the kind of stuff that will slowly move the needle - people going around and live-streaming mass shootings.  In this instance, some guy driving around shooting people in Memphis and live-streaming on facebook

link to one video - it’s bad 

Edited by atomheartbevo

32 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is the kind of stuff that will slowly move the needle

No it won’t. What am I supposed to be looking at? I see a guy with a pet goose on a leash.

Live streams of mass shootings will get shut down and scrubbed quickly. Most people won’t see them. The gun lobby and their hired hands in the GOP are too strong. Nothing is going to change. The lives of innocent children is the price we’ve decided it’s acceptable to pay so that Billy Joe Jim Bob can own an assault rifle and live out his Rambo fantasy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

My wife came home from dropping the boy off and said she forgot he was supposed to wear maroon today in honor of the Uvalde kids and felt bad. And my first response was does he even own anything maroon? Second was, what's the point? So the people who won't make any changes to gun control laws or leadership in Texas can feel like they did something? It's basically a Facebook profile picture filter. Useless.

1. Thoughts
2. Prayers
3. Wear Maroon
4. ???
5. Yeah, that shit don’t work
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is the kind of stuff that will slowly move the needle - people going around and live-streaming mass shootings.  In this instance, some guy driving around shooting people in Memphis and live-streaming on facebook

link to one video - it’s bad 

Had he been white, he would have been peacefully taken in to custody and not shot.

Edited by Johnny Sack

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Had he been white, he would have been peacefully taken in to custody and not shot.

Kelly was out of jail less than 6 months

In April 2021, Kelly, who had been charged with criminal attempted first degree murder, pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and was sentenced to three years in prison, according to Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland.

Kelly served 11 months and was released on March 16, 2022, Strickland said.