The Texpatriates Thread

Goredho

10 hours ago, mchookem said:

geesus. i feel for you guys.

not gonna lie...as I sit outside enjoying a lovely evening of my 10th day as a new Coloradan (Coloradoan? 🤔), it feels a bit like...

star-wars-millenium-falcon.gif

I'm surprised I haven't heard of more heat strokes this past weekend. I mowed the lawn midday (stupid) and was sweating and drinking water while indoors in 68 degree A/C for the next 3 hours. 

Edited by Vegas64

10 hours ago, mchookem said:

not gonna lie...as I sit outside enjoying a lovely evening of my 10th day as a new Coloradan (Coloradoan? 🤔), it feels a bit like...

If you feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced, that’s just the people back in Texas having summer brownouts.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Vegas64 said:

I'm surprised I haven't heard of more heat strokes this past weekend. I mowed the lawn midday (stupid) and was sweating and drinking water while indoors in 68 degree A/C for the next 3 hours. 

I hiked 12 miles last weekend and was good until about 11am and then, whoa nelly, the sun said fuck you and I had to sit in the shade and drink for 15 minutes or so.

14 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Shave maybe a decade off the age of those tits girl?

I don't look like a ten year old, I was accurate in my description, it's one of the few advantages I get in this life and I'll just leave it at that.

2 hours ago, Vegas64 said:

you're a terrible person.  just saying.

• Haha 2

The reason I fancied Portugal was that it has no political or strategic value whatsoever, so it probably would be one of the last places other countries would want to intervene in.  I don't want to go to a place that is car dependent, has extreme weather, and has bad healthcare.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, troph said:

I don't look like a ten year old, I was accurate in my description, it's one of the few advantages I get in this life and I'll just leave it at that.

Not what I was implying, just that the hardware was not 20 years old. Bad joke. Sorry if it landed differently. 

42 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Not what I was implying, just that the hardware was not 20 years old. Bad joke. Sorry if it landed differently. 

all good just sounds creepy to say 10 years old.  btw no installation was required, certified organic, third party approved, 5 star reviews.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, mchookem said:

And yesterday was hot as fuck.  That's about as hot as it gets here.  It was 40* when I woke up in the mountains this morning. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The reason I fancied Portugal was that it has no political or strategic value whatsoever, so it probably would be one of the last places other countries would want to intervene in.  I don't want to go to a place that is car dependent, has extreme weather, and has bad healthcare.   

We are looking there as well. That said, we might just travel around for a couple of years and then settle.

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

We are looking there as well. That said, we might just travel around for a couple of years and then settle.

In another thread--Chopper I believe mentioned something similar.  I'll dig around and see if I can find it.  If nothing else, the thread is about relocating abroad so should be informative: 

Another place that I found interesting and enjoyed was Quito, Ecuador.  It's in the mountains so it's not terribly hot and there are lots of American expats. But alas, there are untapped resources in the region so....

Edited by Mdhorn

8 hours ago, Vegas64 said:

your grass is growing?

I have this crazy fucking idea.  A world where Texans vote in a greater and greater percentage of the population.]

Then the top down corruption will change to people who actually want to serve the state of Texas and its citizens.  So I am not fucking leaving yet.  Family is like for most folks, an anchor.  I have a dream where more reasonable people wake up and we change the state from within.

I know it sounds crazy, but we just gotta wake some folks up and let them know hey, if you vote it won't be only old white people making the policies in the state anymore.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

In another thread--Chopper I believe mentioned something similar.  I'll dig around and see if I can find it.  If nothing else, the thread is about relocating abroad so should be informative: 

Another place that I found interesting and enjoyed was Quito, Ecuador.  It's in the mountains so it's not terribly hot and there are lots of American expats. But alas, there are untapped resources in the region so....

I didn't know this thread existed. Thanks for cluing me in. Yes the wife and I are on the pathway to (hopefully) a Portugal golden visa. They stopped processing applications for the past 6 months due to a change in government so we have made zero progress since I first mentioned it on surly. The nice thing about their program is if one spouse learns the language then they can become a citizen, get a passport, and under the Schengen regs the whole family can live in any of the participating countries if you later decide you want a change of pace from Portugal. I'll be happy anywhere I don't have to pay $25k per year in health care expenses before insurance kicks in. We lived in europe before and loved the lifestyle.

FWIW a friend just spent some time in Seward and Homer, AK and is thinking that might make sense for them -- for 6 months of the year anyway.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Not in TX, but we’re also looking at making a run to more blue pastures. We would have probably moved before but our oldest is dead set on graduating from the school she has attended all her life. Both kids have already said they are leaving the state post graduation, all the parents are entering hardcore GQP territory, so there isn’t anything holding us back other than my job which I should be able to just fly in for a couple times a month. We looked pretty seriously at buying a condo in Chicago, but IL is a clusterfuck for different reasons as well. We’ve been looking hard at coastal NC lately although I’m not sure it qualifies as a lot more blue/purple and climate change is probably going to screw it. If the oldest ends up at UNC like she plans, that probably becomes the most realistic option.

Going to be interesting the next few years as like minds migrate to like areas. We are way down the rabbit hole at this point and only going further.

• Hook 'Em 4

Going to be interesting the next few years as like minds migrate to like areas. We are way down the rabbit hole at this point and only going further.

Jeffrey Gundlach has been predicting this for a while now.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Democrats have been doing it for a while, even if politics wasn’t necessarily a driving force for a lot of people.

Republicans are starting to migrate politically though. There’s a steady stream of them coming into TX and FL. It’s why I don’t think this state is actually that close to flipping. One of the reasons, anyway.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Democrats have been doing it for a while, even if politics wasn’t necessarily a driving force for a lot of people.

Republicans are starting to migrate politically though. There’s a steady stream of them coming into TX and FL. It’s why I don’t think this state is actually that close to flipping. One of the reasons, anyway.

They can have 109 degrees.  I'm out ASAP.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

TN has a steady stream also, no state income tax is the biggest thing I hear besides politics. Property is also still cheap here although that has changed drastically the last 2-3 years. I can still find tracts for relatively cheap as long as it doesn’t have ducks or a farmer isn’t after it, but those numbers are going up steadily.

On 6/22/2022 at 1:29 PM, Gil Bang said:

I can get you something south of San Diego for that.  About 100 miles south. 

You joke but I'm currently developing a business that'll allow me to work from anywhere so the wife and I (and maybe the kid if she wants) can go down to Ensenada area. Low cost of living, nice beaches, and wife's family is from Mexico and she and I both speak Spanish. 

As long as our families are here and not willing to move down there we're most likely going to be here, but down the line we really want to do it. Same 3 hour window time zones as the US, and with the advancements in internet and streaming I'll still be able to watch all the sports I do now and won't have to watch at 3 am like if we went overseas. 

Edited by Hermanator

I have this crazy fucking idea.  A world where Texans vote in a greater and greater percentage of the population.]
Then the top down corruption will change to people who actually want to serve the state of Texas and its citizens.  So I am not fucking leaving yet.  Family is like for most folks, an anchor.  I have a dream where more reasonable people wake up and we change the state from within.
I know it sounds crazy, but we just gotta wake some folks up and let them know hey, if you vote it won't be only old white people making the policies in the state anymore.
They will vote, the results are going to suck. Latinos, rural youth, new transplants. GOP GOP.

12 hours ago, gmr548 said:

He's not just talking about moving to a state or liberal/conservative city where politics lean one way or the other, which is what we've had for eons.  He's been talking about basically two United States with completely opposite laws and governments.  Something we have never seen like this and what looks like is coming.    

The people we bought our place from here in Colorado were conservative (they left a Trump flag on the pole, lol).  They were selling this place to move to South Dakota for at least partially political reasons.  I know two other families that have left Colorado due to the prevailing politics in the last few years.  One also moved to South Dakota.  The other moved to Texas.

I think we are seeing a great migration 2.0.  Or a better term might be “the Great Segregation”.  

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 7/11/2022 at 11:17 PM, F250 said:

Spain and Portugal are baking just like us with 100+ degree temperatures and their grid taking a beating.

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20220711-france-swelters-braces-for-heatwave-sweeping-spain-portugal

Happy Youtube GIF by Hyper RPG

In the back of my mind I was worried about that.  Anyway, we are currently researching step 1 - US mountain towns for the summer. Europe will wait, we are going to spend 4-6 weeks in Colorado or Oregon next summer and see if that starts to solve our personal heat concerns.

Edited by troph

3 minutes ago, Goredho said:

The people we bought our place from here in Colorado were conservative (they left a Trump flag on the pole, lol).  They were selling this place to move to South Dakota for at least partially political reasons.  I know two other families that have left Colorado due to the prevailing politics in the last few years.  One also moved to South Dakota.  The other moved to Texas.

I think we are seeing a great migration 2.0.  Or a better term might be “the Great Segregation”.  

I’m ok with it, while it won’t help the poor if the SCOTUS is saying states rights and gerrymandering is a-okay, then it’s best to play musical chairs and move on. We’ve got 30 years of that law and order to deal with no sense in fighting it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Two early leaders are Bend, OR and Carbondale, CO… deschutes and the roaring fork. I’m thinking it will be hard to go wrong with either. House hunt is on… Truckee is a distant third, truckee river would be great but eventual taxes probably not.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, midtown said:

14 hours ago, gmr548 said:

2 hours ago, midtown said:

He's not just talking about moving to a state or liberal/conservative city where politics lean one way or the other, which is what we've had for eons.  He's been talking about basically two United States with completely opposite laws and governments.  Something we have never seen like this and what looks like is coming.    

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

Fmr Austin-American Statesman journalist, Bill Bishop, and fmr UT sociologist, Robert Cushing, have been on top of this trend since the mid-2000s. They're the first I recall ever discussing it as an emerging trend. Bishop had a series of articles in the Statesman that got translated into a book called "The Big Sort."

Going far beyond the simplistic red state/blue state divide, journalist Bill Bishop (in collaboration with sociologist and statistician Robert Cushing) marshals original data and incisive reporting to show how Americans have sorted themselves geographically, economically, and politically into like-minded communities over the last three decades.

Homogeneity may be a perk of the unprecedented choice our society offers—but it also breeds economic inequality, cultural misunderstanding, political extremism, and legislative gridlock. This is the story of our times, and its reality poses a profound threat to democracy, but no one before now has seemed to notice, let alone been able to describe, its causes and consequences.
The nation we live in—our culture, economy, neighborhoods, and churches—has been sculpted by the Big Sort over the past thirty years:

• People with college degrees were relatively evenly spread across the nation's cities in 1970. Thirty years later, college graduates had congregated in particular cities, a phenomenon that decimated the economies in some places and caused other regions to flourish.

• The generation of ministers who built sprawling mega-churches in the new suburbs learned to attract their stadium-sized congregations through the "homogenous unit principle." The new churches were designed for cookie-cutter parishioners, what one church-growth proponent described as "people like us."

• In 1976, only about a quarter of America's voters lived in a county a presidential candidate won by a landslide margin. By 2004, it was nearly half.

• Businesses learned to target their marketing to like-minded "image tribes," a technique used by Republicans in the 2004 campaign.
Living in politically like-minded groups has had its consequences. People living in homogenous communities grow both more extreme and more certain in their beliefs. Locally, therefore, governments backed by large majorities are tackling every conceivable issue. Nationally, however, Congress has lost most of its moderate members and is mired in conflict.

Like Robert Putnam's Bowling Alone, Richard Florida's The Rise of the Creative Class, and Thomas Frank's What's the Matter with Kansas?, THE BIG SORT explores the connection between cultural evolution, economic change, and the power of place. THE BIG SORT, however, is the first account that systematically ties cultural and economic evolution to the changing political landscape of America.

http://www.thebigsort.com/book.php

• Hook 'Em 4

Oh look, North Carolina gets #1 for business from CNBC, even with its evil Democratic governor. 

Texas took #5, due to:

"Residents, meanwhile, have limited options for child care. Health-care resources are stretched, too, in the state with the largest percentage of people without health insurance. Texas is another one of the five states with no anti-discrimination law for nondisabled residents. And it is further chipping away at inclusiveness under Republican Gov. Greg Abbott.

"While multiple measures aimed at transgender youth and their parents have either died in the legislature or been stalled in court, the deeply controversial election law that went into effect this year has made Texas one of the most difficult states to vote in, according to researchers at Northern Illinois University.

"Put it all together, and Texas finishes at No. 49 for Life, Health and Inclusion, dragging down its overall ranking.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/13/north-carolina-is-no-1-in-americas-top-states-for-business.html

But people also move to states like Texas and Florida because they are warm and as we get older, are more sensitive to the cold.  I wonder if there's been a lull in gay or NYC liberals moving to Florida?  Now, people are probably seeing Arizona, VA and North Carolina as retirement destinations, which will and has helped flip them.  

North Carolinians call NY transplants "half-backs", because many move to Florida for the weather, and then realize it's too hot, so they move halfway back New York aka North Carolina. 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, troph said:

Two early leaders are Bend, OR and Carbondale, CO… deschutes and the roaring fork. I’m thinking it will be hard to go wrong with either. House hunt is on… Truckee is a distant third, truckee river would be great but eventual taxes probably not.

I hope you enjoy Representative Boebert!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

Good.  The more of those assholes that leave the state, the better.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1