• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crash_davis

• nnm

• Armybrat

• Message Board User

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Waited tables at a mid-level local steakhouse in college. Dude orders a sirloin. Well done. Then asks for ketchup. He cuts the whole steak into little pieces, like smaller than a dime. Pours half the bottle of ketchup on it. Stirs it all together into a burnt steak/ketchup glop. Eats it with a spoon.
That was over 30 years ago, and it’s seared into my brain.

And now, ours.  Appreciate it!

18 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

BIL’s amigo works for a Wagyu ranch around Flatonia. He sells it to us at the discount they give him. Akaushi Waygu

Separate topic for a different day, but you're 100% correct.  The entire bar for meat grading seems to have moved dramatically over the last 10-20 years.  I can remember splurging on prime beef in my early 20s for a special occasion and it being a really, really good cut of meat.  Now, prime seems to be middle of the road from a quality standpoint and what they pass as "Wagyu" at HEB is not the delicacy that Wagyu was in the past.  I'm jealous of your source, BTW.  There ARE some legitimate local producers in Central Texas that are actually cranking out some really nice beef.  I'm fortunate to have a good friend that raises Black Angus, so we get a side of that every year.  Last year, he finished it with Icelandic seaweed, and it was fantastic.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Holy shit, this was my dad's 2nd ex-wife's maneuver to the letter. She drown everything in heinz. Eggs, potatoes, and any meat. This was the early 80s so no Costco or Sam's options. She'd be buying 2 or 3 bottles at a time.

I remember him taking us all out to dinner to a nice steakhouse & him begging her to order a good cut properly cooked & try it without ketchup. She had one bite, acted like she was going to throw up, & asked the waiter to bring ketchup. He discreetly brought a small ramaken. She asked him for 4 more, then proceeded to make the steak soup like brisket described.

Still not as nauseating as watching her pour a pint of ketchup onto mashed potatoes that were already smothered in brown gravy then mix everything together. I've been in Port o pots that have looked less offensive.

That sounds like what period sex would look like 🤢

• Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 6:27 PM, YGIFS said:

Other than my in-laws, who are cattle ranchers (or were before retirement), I don't trust anyone who eats a steak well-done.  A1's not a big deal to me, I don't like it, but it's not a deal-breaker.  But yeah, its usage typically follows a poorly cooked steak.  That, or ketchup.  I honestly don't get it.  What's the point of eating red meat if you're gonna turn it into a wallet with shitty sauce on top to take the edge off the fact it tastes like ass?  Why not just eat something different and save yourself the calories, heartburn, and cholesterol?  If you're gonna do a steak, go big or go home.  They just sit down to these charred, dark brown hunks of shit, like 4 days a week just to eat "Beef."  And it looks fucking miserable.  At least they use A1 and not ketchup anymore, but still.  

Is it just as you get older?  Because I used to go medium rare, and now medium rare+ or medium.  I guess if this continues, I'll do well done after 70 years old?  But who goes through the trouble and expense of a steak to get it served like rubber dog shit covered in crap sauce?  

The older you get, your steak gets firmer but your meat gets softer.

• Like 1

So even though you were Under Oveur, you were Oveur Dunn?  

Yeah, i guess it's an age thing.  I just think if you're gonna treat yourself to a buncha red meat, eat it proper.  I'd rather indulge in 1 or 2 proper steaks in a week or a month than just slushing down crispy ass brown't sirloins every couple of nights just to eat beef.  I'm getting to that age I gotta make tradeoffs.  Can't just ribeye and wine it up multiple times a week.  What's the point of a charred billfold if it's just blind cholesterol?  And then fucking ketchup on top of it?  Fucking sickening.  

Separate topic for a different day, but you're 100% correct.  The entire bar for meat grading seems to have moved dramatically over the last 10-20 years.  I can remember splurging on prime beef in my early 20s for a special occasion and it being a really, really good cut of meat.  Now, prime seems to be middle of the road from a quality standpoint and what they pass as "Wagyu" at HEB is not the delicacy that Wagyu was in the past.  I'm jealous of your source, BTW.  There ARE some legitimate local producers in Central Texas that are actually cranking out some really nice beef.  I'm fortunate to have a good friend that raises Black Angus, so we get a side of that every year.  Last year, he finished it with Icelandic seaweed, and it was fantastic.  
What if I told you, your black Angus was really a black Hereford?
  • Haha 2

On 4/10/2023 at 6:27 PM, YGIFS said:

Other than my in-laws, who are cattle ranchers (or were before retirement), I don't trust anyone who eats a steak well-done.  A1's not a big deal to me, I don't like it, but it's not a deal-breaker.  But yeah, its usage typically follows a poorly cooked steak.  That, or ketchup.  I honestly don't get it.  What's the point of eating red meat if you're gonna turn it into a wallet with shitty sauce on top to take the edge off the fact it tastes like ass?  Why not just eat something different and save yourself the calories, heartburn, and cholesterol?  If you're gonna do a steak, go big or go home.  They just sit down to these charred, dark brown hunks of shit, like 4 days a week just to eat "Beef."  And it looks fucking miserable.  At least they use A1 and not ketchup anymore, but still.  

Is it just as you get older?  Because I used to go medium rare, and now medium rare+ or medium.  I guess if this continues, I'll do well done after 70 years old?  But who goes through the trouble and expense of a steak to get it served like rubber dog shit covered in crap sauce?  

My mom always liked her steaks well done. She claimed it was because she ate chicken once that was still pink and bloody around the bone and ever since then she had an aversion to any meats that had any hint of blood. I can’t count the number of steaks she sent back to the grill for a few more minutes.

My dad, OTOH, liked his steaks medium rare, but as he got older (around age 75), he liked them done a bit more. The last steak I cooked him was almost medium, and he thought that was the only way steaks should be served. He lived to 90, so I’d guess he would’ve been a medium well guy by 95.

• Like 3

Yeah, maybe it’s circle of life Simba kinda thing.  When you’re young, you like it medium well with no marks.  You get older and appreciate a properly cooked steak done medium rare.  And then you get into old age and you want to eat a boot. I dunno.  No judging.  Just seems like being in denial.  It’s all still red meat going into your bloodstream.  Overcooking the shit out of it doesn’t cook out the choloesterol.