Post a pic that makes you lol

Born Burnt

holy shit what a dumbass.  Eye doctor wrote about it

Ophthalmologist here. It’s not very clear but to me it looks like the dart penetrated her globe quite centrally. If you’re wondering what’s going to happen to this poor girl, I can try to give you a sense of how this kind of case usually plays out. A quick check on Google shows a dart tip length is about 25 mm, and the average adult globe length is 24-26 mm. With the speed of the dart it almost certainly wound have speared the retina after passing through her cornea and lens. After arriving at the hospital and examined by the on call ophthalmologist, and probably after a CT scan, she’ll be rushed into emergency OR. She’ll then get her cornea stitched up to close her globe. She’ll be admitted after that. Then the next day the vitreoretinal surgeon will come and examine her and find a huge hole in her retina, probably going all the way through and out the other side. She’ll be blind by now because of a traumatic cataract — her lens has turned opaque after the lens coating (capsule) is breached. She’ll then be listed for another surgery to extract the jelly (vitreous) and blood inside her eye, and maybe close up the back part of her eye. She’ll still be blind after the surgery because they will have filled her eye with either gas or silicone oil to keep her retina attached. After they surgery and a week or two close monitoring she’ll be discharged. 6-8 weeks later if things have gone well she’ll be referred to the cornea service to deal with the scar in her cornea. If it’s in the middle part she’ll go for a corneal transplant requiring lifelong medications to prevent rejection. After that (or maybe even before) she’ll start having problems with eye pressure and the glaucoma service will be called in. She’ll start on glaucoma drops but they’ll fail and she’ll wind up with a special eye pressure lowering surgery. At some point the retina will develop funky new blood vessels that cause scarring and permanent visual loss. She’ll then be started on monthly intra-ocular injections to try to stop that process, maybe with some success. A few years later when her corneal graft starts failing and her eye pressure can no longer be controlled she’ll be sent to her final destination — oculoplastics. By now she can’t see anything because of the glaucoma, corneal cloudiness and retinal problems, and her eye will be in pain because her eye pressure is constantly high and the eye surface is not healing itself properly. She’s got a painful blind eye. The oculoplastics doctor will counsel her about evisceration — basically scooping out all the contents of the eye and leaving just the white shell. She’ll say no for a while but then finally relent, and she’ll wind up with an implant, which generally should look pretty decent. So she’ll be a one-eyed young lady. I’ve seen plenty, and it’s very sad.

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Edited by mulletpelini
pero no quiero ser pirata!

• Replies 36.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crash_davis

• nnm

• Armybrat

• Message Board User

19 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I’m normally pretty stoic with wack shit on the internet but that had me cringing so hard my whole body was tense.  Ugh.  Everyone there was a fucking idiot, and I cannot imagine the post-drunk wake up nightmare both of them will have the next day.  Jesus.  

geriatric thor or the pirate girl

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I’m normally pretty stoic with wack shit on the internet but that had me cringing so hard my whole body was tense.  Ugh.  Everyone there was a fucking idiot, and I cannot imagine the post-drunk wake up nightmare both of them will have the next day.  Jesus.  

all of this

47 minutes ago, Homercles said:

was the guy trying to hit the dart board?  if so he’s the worst dart player in history.  or was he trying to get it as close to her head as possible?  

If God says "can I play through", they you'd better say yes

Eagle Creek Golf Club lightning

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/holy-in-one-lightning-strike-leaves-mezmorizing-display-on-golf-course/70009143

also from the linked article

Edited by Wally Fairway
maybe this should be in the "holy shit" thread....too lante
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I’m gonna go with yes since that happened for real to someone about a week ago

I saw that and others over the years. The weld was on the inside edge. There was no reason to stick his head through there because he probably couldn’t even see it from the outside. Well, there was one reason, but I already mentioned that. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

Off topic but not sure where else to post? Does anyone know where one could find the old thread, or at least the images from the thread on the old shaggy, of the shitty Colt McCoy/Longhorns mannequins? I found the shaggy thread but it's dead, and I can't seem to find it anywhere else. I saw one of them in the wild at a wine display today and it made me go down a rabbit hole of searching to no avail.