Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not that this is groundbreaking news, but this is why people need to take preseason quotes from players with a huge grain of salt.  Every year, "things are different".  Well, last year was different, until it wasn't.  NOW it's different, again?  Year after year after year, lather rinse and repeat.  These are kids.  They don't have a high level view of the program.

I mean, outside of a haircut, a moderate shave, and some lost baby fat, I don't see much difference.  To hear the $9.95-ers banking on August player quotes, you'd think Quinn had morphed into a more mobile Tom Brady.

He nails 3 of the deep shots and doesn’t trip on himself to get the 1st and that’s the difference in an elite game and a 56 QBR game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not that this is groundbreaking news, but this is why people need to take preseason quotes from players with a huge grain of salt.  Every year, "things are different".  Well, last year was different, until it wasn't.  NOW it's different, again?  Year after year after year, lather rinse and repeat.  These are kids.  They don't have a high level view of the program.

I mean, outside of a haircut, a moderate shave, and some lost baby fat, I don't see much difference.  To hear the $9.95-ers banking on August player quotes, you'd think Quinn had morphed into a more mobile Tom Brady.

You honestly didn’t hear much about Ewers from any of the 9.95ers throughout camp. I guess when there isn’t a QB battle the exaggerations and info dries up.

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The best one was Collins and Bledsoe are wrecking shop rushing the passer.  Guards can not block them. Turned out the guards can not block 

• Haha 3

Most of Quinn’s passing yards were YAC. That isn’t a knock either as a lot of that is good play design and Quinn getting the ball where it needs to go.

He still has absolutely no feel for the deep ball. He throws the ball to the sky instead of down the field and I’m not sure why. Rice put us in a box and had a pretty good game plan, they just have no where near enough talent for it to have mattered. A big reason the run game struggled is because Rice had zero concern for any ball with more than 15 air yards on it, and that belief only strengthened with every deep ball Quinn threw.

If Quinn looks the same in Tuscaloosa and Sark is reluctant to give Malik a shot, the defense will have to give a Herculean effort just to keep the game close.

14 minutes ago, SKA the boss said:

"Once he settled in..."

"...was this close..."

Sark's interview at the end of the first quarter was concerning when he said the O line needed to communicate better and QE was nervous. Nervous? WTF?

You are at home after a full season and an off season playing against the one team you're assured to smoke by 50 points. If there ever was a time to come out with some swagger and John Wick fuck you up attitude, this was it. 

It fits actually. While I agree with your take he shouldn't be nervous after being QB1 all last season, I'd guess Fall Camp was no contact for QBs. Couple that with an OL that hasn't gelled yet on pass pro in particular, and I could see some potential for live bullets "rust" in game 1. I was particularly interested to see how the OL would handle stunts/blitzes and creative lineups this game since they didn't handle it so well last season. I think once they "know" what they're supposed to do, then that talent will be able to assert itself with authority. Question is, how soon can they get it together. Likewise with Ewers.

Keep in mind that the OL practices against a particular defense and probably get's to know their tendencies. Rice wasn't obligated to play by that script. They don't have to be superior talent to generate confusion in the OL.

Ewers' first half poise was shit and he took sacks he shouldn't have. Hell, he self-sacked once. 995'rs pumped his improved footwork, haircut, mature approach, faster release, deep ball connections and going through his progressions. I think he failed under live fire and reverted to poor habits. But he just might adjust and be better in game 2. He'd best get it together soon though or make way for next man up.

1 hour ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

and Shadeur Sanders was close to an 8 TD game.  That kind of stuff happens in every game but whatever makes people sleep better at night, I guess.  He's a game manager.  We can win with him if the OL can run block and the D plays top 10-20 type Defense.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

After watching that Nash tweet I somehow feel worse about Ewers than I already did.

Most of those throws were absolute shit and anyone trying to defend him is grasping at straws.

Odd take.  Not sure Brooks would have 100% scored had he not dropped it, but the rest looked good.

I will say the one where Whitt's helmet took the ball out of Sander's hands was weird, though not sure who to really blame that on.  Was it just a fucked up play?

shocked his hair cut didn’t make him better. Maybe he can pick up a few empty water bottles and get a leadership award.

He’s been “this” close to being great for like 14 games as a starter and as soon as he connects on the long balls he’s there….

Answer Waiting GIF

3 hours ago, immamac said:

So I think people don’t understand that what Quinn is supposed to be able to do is be elite.  That’s not to say the team isn’t a good team or Quinn isn’t elite, but a big xii championship isn’t most fans want. They want a playoff berth and connection on deep balls is the difference between playoffs and dogshit big xii championship contention

the good news is it’s not like he has a noodle arm, he has the arm just not the touch yet. Hopefully he finds the touch soon. 

Eh. I’d take a shitty conference championship. 

But you’re right, if he’s the 1st round pick many made him out to be, we should be in the playoffs, and it’s abundantly clear that he is not. 

I do think the rest of the team is good enough  to win the conference if we play to his strengths and that would be more forward program progress.  

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Odd take.  Not sure Brooks would have 100% scored had he not dropped it, but the rest looked good.

I will say the one where Whitt's helmet took the ball out of Sander's hands was weird, though not sure who to really blame that on.  Was it just a fucked up play?

Don't forget DBs hitting receivers before the ball arrived. 

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Because he doesn't want to take the hit.

So in high school, he never faced pressure? Semi-serious question. We've got a guy who was - across the board, and by all metrics - the #1 QB in the USA. And for the life of him cannot hit a deep ball. Really cant even come close. How does that go unnoticed?

19 minutes ago, Foosters said:

So in high school, he never faced pressure? Semi-serious question. We've got a guy who was - across the board, and by all metrics - the #1 QB in the USA. And for the life of him cannot hit a deep ball. Really cant even come close. How does that go unnoticed?

I dunno. I don't follow recruiting. But from his first games as a starter at UT, it was apparent that Quinn was afraid to step up and make a throw if that also meant taking a hit.

And that's understandable, but it's also an unfortunate requirement for the position.

• Hook 'Em 1

I will say, we are all piling on Quinn, and that’s ok because he’s the quarterback getting paid, etc. But the offensive line was way more concerning to me. Fucking Rice was setting the interior line of scrimmage all throughout the first half. It looked extremely similar to last year, but we had Bijan able to pull a Barry Sanders for 5 yard gains.

DJ is very young so I still think he can be great, it just may not be this year, which really sucks.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I will say, we are all piling on Quinn, and that’s ok because he’s the quarterback getting paid, etc. But the offensive line was way more concerning to me. Fucking Rice was setting the interior line of scrimmage all throughout the first half. It looked extremely similar to last year, but we had Bijan able to pull a Barry Sanders for 5 yard gains.

DJ is very young so I still think he can be great, it just may not be this year, which really sucks.

Especially DJ getting blown the fuck up which had nothing to do with stunts.

It fits actually. While I agree with your take he shouldn't be nervous after being QB1 all last season, I'd guess Fall Camp was no contact for QBs. Couple that with an OL that hasn't gelled yet on pass pro in particular, and I could see some potential for live bullets "rust" in game 1. I was particularly interested to see how the OL would handle stunts/blitzes and creative lineups this game since they didn't handle it so well last season. I think once they "know" what they're supposed to do, then that talent will be able to assert itself with authority. Question is, how soon can they get it together. Likewise with Ewers.
Keep in mind that the OL practices against a particular defense and probably get's to know their tendencies. Rice wasn't obligated to play by that script. They don't have to be superior talent to generate confusion in the OL.
Ewers' first half poise was shit and he took sacks he shouldn't have. Hell, he self-sacked once. 995'rs pumped his improved footwork, haircut, mature approach, faster release, deep ball connections and going through his progressions. I think he failed under live fire and reverted to poor habits. But he just might adjust and be better in game 2. He'd best get it together soon though or make way for next man up.

My problem with the O line quote goes back to the “iron sharpens iron” axiom that people love to throw around. Our O line should have had a field day based on how good our D played after facing them all summer long, tendencies be damned. We’re bigger, better, stronger, right?
And Campbell is the only new face, so, what is there to gel?
Sark did them no favors with the bone-headed go for it on 4th on your own 30 on the first drive. That just smacks of beyond narcissistic stupidity.
I support your optimism, but that opening series was a red flag for me, and I really believe this team is going to be good.

The biggest problem with Ewers and the deep ball is that he sees it a half second too late.  He has no anticipation in his game at all.  All of those throws he missed yesterday should have been thrown earlier than he threw them.  Maybe it's a trust thing with his receivers or maybe he just doesn't see it until it is too late.  I really don't care which way it is, I'm really fucking tired of sub par QB play at UT.  If he isn't the answer then move on to the next guy who may be the answer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

14 minutes ago, Hate said:

The biggest problem with Ewers and the deep ball is that he sees it a half second too late.  He has no anticipation in his game at all.  All of those throws he missed yesterday should have been thrown earlier than he threw them.  Maybe it's a trust thing with his receivers or maybe he just doesn't see it until it is too late.  I really don't care which way it is, I'm really fucking tired of sub par QB play at UT.  If he isn't the answer then move on to the next guy who may be the answer.

Hardly top 50 in QBR against Rice is not our standard 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet