Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

3 hours ago, immamac said:

It's like you didn't even read the post. You are agreeing with me not "totally disagree"ing. I'm talking about 3 seasons from now. Quinn coming back wasn't part of the plan and it actually isn't "perfect" timing - it derailed Maalik staying and having a stacked QB room and it delays the chemistry development from a brand new receiving corps and a brand new QB. It's not perfect for anyone and Quinn peaking this year would have been "perfect" timing, because if he did we are playing for a national championship in a few days time. Quinn has development in front of him and he's already at a very incredibly high floor, there's a lot to be excited about with his return, but overall it wasn't part of the plan and he is behind schedule by a full season in most people's minds from a marginal improvement, just elite quarterback at any level. Quinn's ceiling is higher than most NFL quarterbacks who are starting right now in the league.

um, quinn + arch is a much more stacked qb room than arch + maalik.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Bruh.

Everyone expected this year to be Quinn's final year in college. Texas was planning for that to be the case. MM and Arch would have competed for QB1 next year or we would have been hoping for Arch to be ready next year. I assume MM doesn't leave this quickly if the narrative and expectation around Quinn staying another year hadn't shifted.

Either way, like he said, you do what it takes to keep Quinn another year as long as it makes sense to do so. Sets us up nicely for a another good run next year. Gives Arch another year to allow his actual game to match or surpass the outsized public expectations of his game too.

Any preseason talk of Quinn leaving after this year was with the assumption that Manning would take over in 2024.  Also, there was no scuttlebutt about Quinn being a first round pick in the NFL during this season. With Arch redshirting, Quinn staying in 2024 started to make sense months ago. 

Any talk of Maalik Murphy having a chance to start at Texas had to come from his camp. MM is talented but still raw, hence the transfer to Duke and not a big time program.  Arch signing with Texas sealed MM's fate. I'm grateful he stayed this year, got us a couple of wins when Quinn was out, and will root for him to succeed for the rest of his career. 

But Quinn staying in 2024, MM transferring, and Arch being the backup who takes over in 2025 made the most sense then, and now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AnotherLawyer said:

Is this the thread where we discuss moving VY to WR?

Nope.

This is the thread where we talk about the fact that Quinn has been tutored for 2 1/2 years at Texas, apparently mainly by a QB coach who is not an OC, and still has many, if not all, of the problematical habits he showed when he got here.

Although, you're close... we also discuss whether Arch would hit one out of four throws from the 12-yard line.

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

I also think people are overblowing the "Manning family plan" for Arch. The CFB world looks nothing like it did in the late 90's. All of his peers (other 5 star QB recruits) would be looking into transferring if it takes them 3 years to land a starting gig. With social media, its hard for him to avoid the narrative that he's being "wasted" on the bench. Do the experiences of his grandfather and uncle matter? Yes. Is Arch an independent being with free will. Also yes.

I'm not predicting that he transfer, nor am I advocating for him to start to avoid a transfer. Only pointing out that this place puts WAY too much on what happened with his uncles.

While it is true that things are different than when his uncles were in college, the factors you are referring to will have zero impact on his draft position. 

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

While it is true that things are different than when his uncles were in college, the factors you are referring to will have zero impact on his draft position. 

My point was that its not unreasonable for a college age kid to succumb to peer/external pressure and go against the wishes of his family. But if you have specific insight into Arch's thinking, please do share.

18 minutes ago, Foosters said:

My point was that its not unreasonable for a college age kid to succumb to peer/external pressure and go against the wishes of his family. But if you have specific insight into Arch's thinking, please do share.

Of course I don't.  

But I can surmise, based on what I have read and seen and those both indicate to me that he takes counsel from his family very seriously.  Much more than whatever is being said on social media.

I'll go with that until I see something that convinces me otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 2

After all the shit we've had to endure with the qb room over the last decade, I can't believe we're turning our nose up at bringing back an experienced starter that will be a top 10 qb in the country next year at minimum all because of some vague notion of timing.

Especially after we just got our asses kicked by a qb that has been in college since Sam Ehlinger was a true sophomore. 

Not saying I want Quinn to hang around for 7 years; but I'll take bringing an experienced qb into the SEC. 

Exactly how good are y'all expecting Arch to be at this point in his career? 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

After all the shit we've had to endure with the qb room over the last decade, I can't believe we're turning our nose up at bringing back an experienced starter that will be a top 10 qb in the country next year at minimum all because of some vague notion of timing.

Especially after we just got our asses kicked by a qb that has been in college since Sam Ehlinger was a true sophomore. 

Not saying I want Quinn to hang around for 7 years; but I'll take bringing an experienced qb into the SEC. 

Exactly how good are y'all expecting Arch to be at this point in his career? 

Well, there is a history of #1 5 star QBs that are generally pretty good in their 1st or 2nd year.  Bryce Young, Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Caleb Williams, Tua Taguoviola to name a few of the more recent ones that helped their teams compete in the CFP.  If you got that level of quarterback play, would you sit that player for a guy that is a very good QB but not a great one yet?  We are all assuming here, but Arch isn't some 3 star QB coming out of high school.  Let's let these boys compete.  Fun to have a talented QB room.  Hurts was benched for Tua.  Rattler was benched for Williams.  It's not uncommon for the back up to be better especially when they are 5 star recruits.  Hell Justin Fields was backing up Jake Fromm and I think anyone thinks Fromm was the better QB there.  Either way, this is all speculation but I really like Arch's skill set.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

...  Exactly how good are y'all expecting Arch to be at this point in his career? 

This point? He's about where pretty much everyone expected.

Nine months from now? I expect him to be more accurate and to see the field at least as well as Quinn does. I look for the QB competition to be intense. I don't have any kind of lean about the outcome, so I won't be particularly surprised at who winds up as QB1.

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

This point? He's about where pretty much everyone expected.

Nine months from now? I expect him to be more accurate and to see the field at least as well as Quinn does. I look for the QB competition to be intense. I don't have any kind of lean about the outcome, so I won't be particularly surprised at who winds up as QB1.

Spoiler alert: Ewers is our starting QB next year. 

15 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Rattler was benched for Williams.

Yeah, because they had to.  It was in the middle of the game and pretty much every Texas player and fan was like "what the fuck was THAT?" two hours later.

I'm sure most of you have seen this, and it's probably posted repeatedly in here, but I'm going to post again, in case someone else missed it.  Apparently written right about the time he portaled, or was portallng, to UT.

Dear Longhorns

Story by Quinn Ewers  • 6h

It’s always been my dream to be a Longhorn. 

Every Saturday for as long as I can remember, my family would be glued to the TV watching Texas play. Just the other day my mom was telling me about when I was two years old, and we watched Vince Young and the 2005 team win the Rose Bowl together. (Apparently, I had kid-size Longhorn gear and everything.) Stuff like that just reminds me how, at my core, it’s always been Texas. 

And now, 16 years and a transfer later, I’m getting a chance to create my own legacy with the Longhorns. Surreal right? 

For Vince to give me his stamp of approval on Twitter … that was an amazing moment for me. What he was able to do for the program, what he’s left behind — he’s a legend. So to be in the same conversation as him in any way is an honor. But I’m also not gonna get too far ahead of myself. I’m just focused on being the best quarterback I can be. 

I’m just trying to keep the main thing the main thing. 

And for me, that’s always been football. 

I’m a simple guy, so it wasn’t some big moment that started my quarterback dreams. Honestly, one of my favorite memories is just throwing the football around with my dad in our backyard. I know it might seem small. It’s not anything crazy like hurdling over somebody in middle school on the way to the end zone (haha, we can talk about that another time), or winning state championships, or breaking records. But I love that my football journey started with the man who introduced me to the game.

And now that I’m writing this Players’ Tribune article, I know y’all have questions. The biggest one probably being: Why UT now? Why did I go all the way to Ohio State in the first place?

… Can I be honest with y’all? 

There’s a lot of pressure that comes with this kind of thing. There was already a lot of pressure when I made this decision the first time, and now that I’ve gone through the process again, there might have been even more pressure the second time around. 

I didn’t just choose to go anywhere. I chose a program I truly believe in. I chose to come home.
Quinn Ewers

Finding a balance between inside and outside expectations has always been challenging for me. On the outside, from the trolls to the people who love you, inviting so many opinions and perspectives into a choice like this is never ideal. And on the inside, I’m always trying to figure out how to balance having a lot of confidence in myself with also wanting to stay as humble as possible in order to see things clearly. 

It’s hard to make life-changing decisions when you’re only 17 or 18 years old. But this time I really just tried to block out all the noise, and focus on what I wanted for myself. It took a lot of prayer, but I’m confident in the choice I made. 

If you’re looking for a messier answer, you won’t find that here. I enjoyed my time at Ohio State, and I look back on it as a lesson that’s pushed me to where I’m meant to be. I’m grateful for the experience.

This new chapter in my life and career has been a long time coming, though, and I couldn’t be more excited about what’s next for this program. Coach Sarkisian and I have a good relationship, and I totally trust him and our staff. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t be here right now. It’s that simple. 

I didn’t just choose to go anywhere. I chose a program I truly believe in. I chose to come home.

So with that being said….

We’re ready for this year. 

There’s a different type of confidence in the air right now. It’s refreshing, and it’s exciting. It’s Coach Sarkisian’s second year, and everyone’s aware of the expectations. And we all know it won’t happen overnight. But we’re ready to rise to the occasion. 

As for me? 

Y’all should know I’m one of the most competitive people out there. Officially starting my quarterback career as a Longhorn is a dream come true, and I’m prepared to give everything I’ve got to help this program get to where it needs to be. 

It all starts now. 

Hook ’em. 

I glad I found that.  Adds some depth and character to the young man that his quiet demeanor and shyness in interviews fail to deliver.   I'd say he's delivered on a lot of what he said in that first open letter.  

I know he's not complete, and he knows it too.  He's a good fit for Sark, because they both are introspective and understand being humble and self aware is the first step to self improvement.   I can't wait to see how much he improves going into 2024 and the future, whether he declares or comes back.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Spoiler alert: Ewers is our starting QB next year. 

Talking  Arch, not Quinn. Arch is going to get better, and it is likely we see a serious competition for QB1.

23 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

FIFY....because while all of that my happen someday, when comparing apples to apples, this is total fantasy wish-casting.  You think QE isn't going to be better over the same time-period? Oh, wait, you're the one who said he didn't improve year-over-year from Freshman to Sophomore.  So there's that...

See above.

areyoustupidforrestgump.jpg

Edited by Tex Long

In spite of it all, the discussion in this thread is so much better than the QB threads of even three years ago when we were having to decide between a slap in the face and a kick in the balls.

I'm not saying there's a problem, but even if there were, it would be the best kind to have.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/2/2024 at 3:00 PM, The_Great_Hornsby said:

How in the world could anyone want to start a redshirt freshman over a junior QB who just led his team to the CFP? If the name wasnt Manning, nobody would be saying this. Another year for Manning to develop isnt a bad thing. Hold an open competition, let iron sharpen iron. We are in a dream position. 

Sir, this is the football board and we are a bunch of fuckin’ tards!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

Look, I think you seem to be a great guy and you run a wonderful message board that brings me tons of enjoyment but your football takes aren’t always the best.

As good as Quinn can be, he’s behind schedule. I guarantee he and his family are surprised he’s not preparing to be a 1st round pick in April. Him coming back is a business decision plain and simple. Does he love Texas? I think so. Does he want to win titles? Yeah, I believe so. But his #1 goal has always been getting to the NFL — and he should be going there in 2024 but isn’t.

Maalik was gone the minute Arch signed with Texas. That he got in for any meaningful playing time is remarkable. Seems like a great kid and I wish him nothing but success. We are just fine with where we are. Sark will likely pick up another stud QB in next year’s class, who will be a couple years behind Arch.

And speaking of chemistry, put talent with talent and you’ll get results.

I do agree with you at being at peace with the Sugar Bowl result. I don’t hate Washington. And they beat us plain and simple. They’re easy to root for over Harbaugh. We got the last Big 12 title and won 12 games. We have a solid foundation as we head to SEC.

We’re gonna be just fine at QB.

Is Quinn really behind schedule though? How many starts does he have 22 or 23? I think skipping his senior year of high school hurt more than practicing with the buckeyes for a year helped his development. Of course that's just my opinion which is what 90% of this board is. 

On 1/2/2024 at 2:33 PM, The_Great_Hornsby said:

What a weird, stupid take. The ball was thrown way too wide and high and if he does jump up to high point it, he is out of bounds and him catching it means fuck all. He played it right. The throw was not ideal. I take bigger issue with the playcalling sequence for the 4 plays rather than just that final play. 

You get to the spot and jump vertically. He got to the spot and went for the lean and pose. Look at his feet. He jumps vertically and he has plenty of room to come down in bounds. Anyone who doesn't think that has never had any decent athletic ability. AD is a player who plays hard exactly 3 or 4 plays a game and soft the rest. Lazy route running, allowing himself to physically get overwhelmed vs smaller DBs. Par for the fucking course for him and Worthy. There was nothing wrong with that throw. He simply lost the physical battle with a DB 6 inches shorter than him. Want to.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You get to the spot and jump vertically. He got to the spot and went for the lean and pose. Look at his feet. He jumps vertically and he has plenty of room to come down in bounds. Anyone who doesn't think that has never had any decent athletic ability. AD is a player who plays hard exactly 3 or 4 plays a game and soft the rest. Lazy route running, allowing himself to physically get overwhelmed vs smaller DBs. Par for the fucking course for him and Worthy. There was nothing wrong with that throw. He simply lost the physical battle with a DB 6 inches shorter than him. Want to.

It looked like a shitty throw from this angle. AD was already moving sideways and there’s no way he could have stopped and jumped vertically. Momentum would have taken him out of bounds. The throw is so high you can barely see it in the frame.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MrBig said:

It looked like a shitty throw from this angle. AD was already moving sideways and there’s no way he could have stopped and jumped vertically. Momentum would have taken him out of bounds. The throw is so high you can barely see it in the frame.

I still think given the DB alignment a speedout near the pylon is a dub. It's unfortunate pressure rushed the throw.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

6 inches?  lulz.  Come on, man, we're not your wife.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Is Quinn really behind schedule though? How many starts does he have 22 or 23? I think skipping his senior year of high school hurt more than practicing with the buckeyes for a year helped his development. Of course that's just my opinion which is what 90% of this board is. 

I think the Ewers family thought the minute he was draft-eligible he'd be gone to the NFL, especially after two seasons as the starter at a blue-blood school like Texas. His injury concerns are real, which is another reason why I think Arch will get substantial, meaningful playing time in 2024.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrBig said:

This play has been nitpicked to death.  Quinn throws the ball to spot where he thinks Mitchell is going.  Mitchell  decides to turn his body to the left almost making a 360 degree turn, despite the ball being throw to his right shoulder.  The DB is squared up and in much better position to react/jump for the ball than Mitchell. So Mitchell is turning his body (the wrong way) to square up to try and make the catch and doesn't have time to get in a good position to jump for the ball.  The DB was in a better position when the ball arrived and made a good play, bottom line. Nothing wrong with the throw under the circumstances, imo.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Thatguy said:

... AD is a player who plays hard exactly 3 or 4 plays a game and soft the rest. Lazy route running, allowing himself to physically get overwhelmed vs smaller DBs. Par for the fucking course for him and Worthy. There was nothing wrong with that throw. He simply lost the physical battle with a DB 6 inches shorter than him.

Basically true. AD and X are both really, really good...most of the time, but sometimes not, and especially on plays when they aren't the - or at least a - major target. In this case, AD  turned the wrong way, tried to adjust, but let a smaller guy literally hold him down. Coulda been called DPI, but wasn't. 

Before the game, I thought we'd need to score 40+ to win. Got halfway there in the first half, and a quarter of the way more in the second half. Third quarter woes again.

14 hours ago, MrBig said:

Interesting route...

56 minutes ago, AnotherLawyer said:

It saddens me not only that there are so many stupid people...but that they choose to display their stupidity so publicly. Quinn is QB1. He's a RS-Soph returning as the Heisman frontrunner who had a season stat line of 272 of 394 for 69.0%, 3,479 yards, an 8.8 ypc, with 22 TD against 6 INT and a 158.6 passer rating, but, more importantly, a 12-1 regular season with a Big 12 championship and 0:01 and one misread pass away from playing for a national championship in a game where the other team had a nearly perfect outing until the very end of the 4th quarter. If you want Arch over Quinn for next season right now, you probably still think John Chiles should starts and VY should be moved to WR.

Kindly go fuck your own faces so you can stop the noise pollution coming from your own mouths but, in any event, pretty please with sugar on top, shut the fuck up.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything in your post except the part where you call Ewers the frontrunner for the 2023 Heisman. He's on the 'watch' list, for sure, but the front runner? I don't think so. Based on Quinn's past health history, I fully expect Arch to get serious playing time next season when Quinn is inevitably sidelined with some kind of injury.

EDIT: Well, fuck me. I see that Ewers is tied with Carson Beck and Jalen Milroe in current Vegas' betting odds for the 2024 Heisman. I'll go get my shinebox.

Edited by C-Man
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I don't necessarily disagree with anything in your post except the part where you call Ewers the frontrunner for the 2023 Heisman. He's on the 'watch' list, for sure, but the front runner? I don't think so. Based on Quinn's past health history, I fully expect Arch to get serious playing time next season when Quinn is inevitably sidelined with some kind of injury.

A lot of gambling sites have him as odds on favorite right now....

Edited by BurntOrange&White