Top Gun 2

Red Five

4 hours ago, futureman said:

Interstellar in IMAX was much better than Inception.

Interstellar IMAX was probably the best thing I’ve ever seen.  The soundtrack was incredible with the deep organ bass from Zimmerman. 

Interstellar was marred by having the stupidest fucking robot design imaginable. Seeing this thing destroyed all suspension of disbelief; if you design a piece of key mission equipment like this you deserve for the mission to fail.

interstellartarsrobot.jpg.0f79c1250e652734af0c7e52ba3a9156.jpg

On 5/22/2023 at 6:46 PM, Sam Lin said:

Interstellar was marred by having the stupidest fucking robot design imaginable. Seeing this thing destroyed all suspension of disbelief; if you design a piece of key mission equipment like this you deserve for the mission to fail.

It worked just fine, didn't it?

On 5/22/2023 at 8:46 PM, Sam Lin said:

TARS was awesome. You should feel bad 

• 1 month later...

Rewatching this thing for literally the 10th time. It's just a real well made movie.  Use the same attention to detail in the cinematography, score, editing and writing for a movie about Bea Arthur reading the phone book and you made one of the best movies of the year.

Then add in Tom Cruise's literal willingness to die for his craft, and the director's complete reverence for the subject matter and fans, and you have the best movie of the 2020's (so far).

Edited by Parliament

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Watching this again right now on my flight.  Watched Top Gun first.  The acting in this one is so much better.  Also Glen Powell is awesome.  

I caught the last 15 mins on MGM+ just a little while ago. It really is a fun movie. And probably better than the OG Top Gun.

Yeah, nobody was watching the original Top Gun for the acting.  Michael Ironside probably delivered the best performance in the original film, which is pretty sad.  He went right back to being the bad guy in every other movie after that, so it was a real stretch to play a good guy for once.  Val Kilmer eventually became a decent actor after 'Top Gun', but he was 1-dimensional at best.  

This one had a still relatively unknown cast, but most delivered well in their roles.  Really cool that Glen Powell is making the effort to appear in person to receive this award on Friday on campus:  https://www.texasexes.org/about-us/awards/outstanding-young-texas-ex-award  Guessing he sticks around for the game to be recognized on the field.  Most of the time they give "famous" people a OYTEX or DAA orange jacket, they send in a video message and that's it.  Thankfully, Owen Wilson will never had that conundrum, right Brisket ;)   

Anyway, between Glen Powell and Depeche Mode on Friday night on campus, I'm considering possibly swinging both ways for the night.

Yeah, nobody was watching the original Top Gun for the acting.  Michael Ironside probably delivered the best performance in the original film, which is pretty sad.  He went right back to being the bad guy in every other movie after that, so it was a real stretch to play a good guy for once.  Val Kilmer eventually became a decent actor after 'Top Gun', but he was 1-dimensional at best.  
This one had a still relatively unknown cast, but most delivered well in their roles.  Really cool that Glen Powell is making the effort to appear in person to receive this award on Friday on campus:  https://www.texasexes.org/about-us/awards/outstanding-young-texas-ex-award  Guessing he sticks around for the game to be recognized on the field.  Most of the time they give "famous" people a OYTEX or DAA orange jacket, they send in a video message and that's it.  Thankfully, Owen Wilson will never had that conundrum, right Brisket    
Anyway, between Glen Powell and Depeche Mode on Friday night on campus, I'm considering possibly swinging both ways for the night.

Goddamn I’m an underachiever. 2 of these people were high school classmates of mine (Glen and Amy).
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

This one had a still relatively unknown cast, but most delivered well in their roles.  Really cool that Glen Powell is making the effort to appear in person to receive this award on Friday on campus:  https://www.texasexes.org/about-us/awards/outstanding-young-texas-ex-award  Guessing he sticks around for the game to be recognized on the field.  Most of the time they give "famous" people a OYTEX or DAA orange jacket, they send in a video message and that's it.  Thankfully, Owen Wilson will never had that conundrum, right Brisket ;)   

Real Genius came out in 1985.  Top Gun was 1986

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

Yeah he was hilarious in that but hardly what I’d call multi-layered acting.  Shit, top secret was his funniest role because he played it so straight.  But it was not exactly thespian level. 

7 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

And Top Secret! was before that, I think.

Let's not forget that Top Gun is a fantastic popcorn movie. It is iconic for everybody who grew up in the 80's, at least. I think you'd have a very hard time finding anybody between the ages of 45 and 60 who have not seen Top Gun multiple times. Yes, Top Gun 2 copied some of the same tropes as the first one -- the beach football scene vs beach volleyball, Goose singing "Great Balls of Fire" in the bar and his son singing in a par and so on -- but did them with a winking nod to the crowd. We were all in on the "gag" so to speak. You could tell TG2 director was a fan of the original movie, which, let's all remember wasn't made to win Oscars. It was a summer blockbuster made by Jerry Bruckheimer and Don Simpson and I wonder if even Paramount had any idea it would do the business that it did. Tony Scott was kind of Ridley Scott's lesser movie-maker brother at the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Let's not forget that Top Gun is a fantastic popcorn movie. It is iconic for everybody who grew up in the 80's, at least. I think you'd have a very hard time finding anybody between the ages of 45 and 60 who have not seen Top Gun multiple times.

Inspired one of my friend's Dad to construct a home theater system to go with his new 27" Sony TV when it came out on VCR. It. was. awesome (for it's day).

• 3 months later...

The (insert nameless/faceless nation) build another Death Star and Maverick has to rely on small, bear-like creatures to help him defeat the (insert nameless/faceless nation), all the while having to face his father?

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

The (insert nameless/faceless nation) build another Death Star and Maverick has to rely on small, bear-like creatures to help him defeat the (insert nameless/faceless nation), all the while having to face his father?

I’m sold!

Here’s 120mil with another $100 mil on hold.

Can you make one of these bear-like creatures gay or trans or black?

If they do it right, TG3 will pick up right at the end of TG2. Maverick and Jennifer Connelly lovingly cruising through the air in the P-51 when all of sudden 3 Sukhoi Su-57 appear and cruise has to take them out with a rubber band and only 2 paper clips. Sadly, Jennifer falls from the P-51 during one of Maverick's crazy maneuvers and he has to watch her fall like Stallone watching that gal fall at the beginning of Cliffhanger, which works out well as Stallone is the hard ass Navy brass that gives orders to Maverick that Maverick ignores while he seeks revenge. Throw in Maverick's internal need to raise Jennifer's daughter means he must survive the un-survivable mission to kill the men who caused Jennifer's death while also needing to get back stateside within 48 hours to be best man at Rooster and Hangman's wedding. 

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Top Gun 3 happening, with the Top Gun 2 director returning

I mean, it'll get my money.  But I have to say this disappoints me.  TG2 had such great closure, from reconciling with Goose's kid who we met in TG1, to ending up with Penny Benjamin.  That's perfect.  Maybe this is a movie using the name, and it's not really a continuation of Maverick's story.  I'm down for some cool dogfighting and I don't need Maverick in it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

Bring back Kelly McGillis as the Jabba the Hutt character?

• Haha 2

The original TG was a monumental film in 1986, far superior in quality and action than its contemporaries. Every part of production was exceptional. It was cutting edge and changed the industry.

That youthful and fashionable actors were showcased cant be lost. Dialogue no longer resonates, but I do think there’s something to Tarantino’s commentary about the different layers of TG, as a story about coming to grips with homosexuality. “Don’t write a check with your mouth that your butt cant cash” and “flying by the seat of your pants.”

TGII did not change the world like TG did, except remind audiences and executives that there’s more to cinema than greenscreens, universes, and capes.

2 hours ago, gernblansten said:

If they do it right, TG3 will pick up right at the end of TG2. Maverick and Jennifer Connelly lovingly cruising through the air in the P-51 when all of sudden 3 Sukhoi Su-57 appear and cruise has to take them out with a rubber band and only 2 paper clips. Sadly, Jennifer falls from the P-51 during one of Maverick's crazy maneuvers and he has to watch her fall like Stallone watching that gal fall at the beginning of Cliffhanger, which works out well as Stallone is the hard ass Navy brass that gives orders to Maverick that Maverick ignores while he seeks revenge. Throw in Maverick's internal need to raise Jennifer's daughter means he must survive the un-survivable mission to kill the men who caused Jennifer's death while also needing to get back stateside within 48 hours to be best man at Rooster and Hangman's wedding. 

I'll prepay for that movie ticket.

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

2 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

I’m sold!

Here’s 120mil with another $100 mil on hold.

Can you make one of these bear-like creatures gay or trans or black?

32f978ea-e991-4424-9a28-7a86dc311a05_tex

2 hours ago, gernblansten said:

Man, that sounds like an impossible mission!

That’s sounds like your just ripping off Iron Eagle 2 and 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

I mean, it'll get my money.  But I have to say this disappoints me.  TG2 had such great closure, from reconciling with Goose's kid who we met in TG1, to ending up with Penny Benjamin.  That's perfect.  Maybe this is a movie using the name, and it's not really a continuation of Maverick's story.  I'm down for some cool dogfighting and I don't need Maverick in it.

3 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Agre with above, should have let it end there.  But Top Gun 3: The Search For More Money

TG2 ended well but Maverick is one of the best and most likeable characters ever on film and it’s great that they’re gonna give us more of it.  Whoever made/wrote the sequel—and I’m sure Cruise had a lot of input—didn’t fuck around with bullshit story lines.  They gave us what we wanted.  Simple but not easy.  If TG3 is more of the same it’ll be awesome and bring cinematic joy to a billion people.  And yeah it’ll make a bunch of money.  This is a good thing. 

• Like 1

TG2 ended well but Maverick is one of the best and most likeable characters ever on film and it’s great that they’re gonna give us more of it.  Whoever made/wrote the sequel—and I’m sure Cruise had a lot of input—didn’t fuck around with bullshit story lines.  They gave us what we wanted.  Simple but not easy.  If TG3 is more of the same it’ll be awesome and bring cinematic joy to a billion people.  And yeah it’ll make a bunch of money.  This is a good thing. 

Maverick was kind of a hot dog for much of TG. I see it now and root for Iceman. Maverick gets people killed. Didnt learn his lesson.

In fact, in TGII, certainly he was killed instantly when he commandeered aircraft and ejected going mach speed. The rest of the movie is a last second dream as he falls to earth.
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, gernblansten said:

If they do it right, TG3 will pick up right at the end of TG2. Maverick and Jennifer Connelly lovingly cruising through the air in the P-51 when all of sudden 3 Sukhoi Su-57 appear and cruise has to take them out with a rubber band and only 2 paper clips. Sadly, Jennifer falls from the P-51 during one of Maverick's crazy maneuvers and he has to watch her fall like Stallone watching that gal fall at the beginning of Cliffhanger, which works out well as Stallone is the hard ass Navy brass that gives orders to Maverick that Maverick ignores while he seeks revenge. Throw in Maverick's internal need to raise Jennifer's daughter means he must survive the un-survivable mission to kill the men who caused Jennifer's death while also needing to get back stateside within 48 hours to be best man at Bob and Hangman's wedding. 

Fify

3 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

That’s sounds like your just ripping off Iron Eagle 2 and 3

*you're

41 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Maverick was kind of a hot dog for much of TG. I see it now and root for Iceman. Maverick gets people killed. Didnt learn his lesson.

In fact, in TGII, certainly he was killed instantly when he commandeered aircraft and ejected going mach speed. The rest of the movie is a last second dream as he falls to earth.

Eskimo……you stink. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

please.  it’s not that hard to survive if you are hurtling through the stratosphere at Mach 10 and your aircraft explodes. 

Maverick got Kelly McGillis pregnant and she hid it from him. Mav's kid is the new pilot. Plot twist... it's a she. Mavette hooks up with Rooster for some cock a doodle do, gets pregnant and during the big dogfight a missile has lock on her. Rooster tries to knock it down, misses and Maverick does a kamikaze to save her. Flash forward to Mavette accepting Mav's MOH holding Baby Pete. Squadron fly over, roll credits.

Send my royalties to Burnt Ends.

• Drool 1

On 1/13/2024 at 1:45 PM, RPM said:

Maverick got Kelly McGillis pregnant and she hid it from him. Mav's kid is the new pilot. Plot twist... it's a she. Mavette hooks up with Rooster for some cock a doodle do, gets pregnant and during the big dogfight a missile has lock on her. Rooster tries to knock it down, misses and Maverick does a kamikaze to save her. Flash forward to Mavette accepting Mav's MOH holding Baby Pete. Squadron fly over, roll credits.

Send my royalties to Burnt Ends.

This wouldn't be very believable since Kelly McGillis was past childbearing age in TG.

Back in the early 90s, when I was wandering aimlessly around campus after finals on my way to my beater Mazda, the Z102 gods would smile upon me and crank up slow ride within 30 seconds of engine start. That song has hung with me since then as my stress reliever, my wtf just happened song. In that way, I am hangman. 

image.gif.bd68fafa795fc836cb027661a224c21a.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1