Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I seem to remember there being some concern from some of the On3 guys during the offseason about the nature of Murphy's injury. It was something to do with his foot, and the concern was that it was not healing very efficiently. When you are a big man like Murphy with one of those weird bone injuries in your foot, those things can linger for a long time. I am not sure if that is what we are dealing with here, but I remember the chatter about it in one of the livestreams. 

As someone dealing with a weird stress fracture right now, not only is it painful and difficult to move around, continued pressure on the fracture point can create worse issues. I hope he’s not dealing with what I am because it sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm too lazy to make a complete list, but throughout our last 15 years of misery there have been many teams that were successful even with their backup quarterback on the field. We lost quite a few games to backup QBs, and we've even seen teams win National Championships with backup QBs (Ohio State and Bama). So here's how I see it: Our head coach is apparently "The QB Whisperer", and our backup QB is a guy that's been on campus and learning from this "QB Whisperer" for almost two full calendar years (Maalik enrolled in January 2022). If we can't successfully navigate this situation and win at least 4 out of the next 5 games against BYU, KState, TCU, Iowa St, and TTU (all of whom are having down years), then Sark is not the answer and the sad reality is that we will probably never be a relevant football program ever again. Yes, I still want us to win out and get to the CCG, but I think 4 out of 5 is the realistic bar considering that would give us our first 10-win season since we fired Mack. I'm not happy Quinn got hurt, but I'm at least somewhat excited to see what we really have in Sark as far as quarterback development is concerned. Our remaining schedule is soft as baby shit, so if he is as advertised we're going to be just fine.  

• Hook 'Em 5

29 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

I'm too lazy to make a complete list, but throughout our last 15 years of misery there have been many teams that were successful even with their backup quarterback on the field. We lost quite a few games to backup QBs, and we've even seen teams win National Championships with backup QBs (Ohio State and Bama). So here's how I see it: Our head coach is apparently "The QB Whisperer", and our backup QB is a guy that's been on campus and learning from this "QB Whisperer" for almost two full calendar years (Maalik enrolled in January 2022). If we can't successfully navigate this situation and win at least 4 out of the next 5 games against BYU, KState, TCU, Iowa St, and TTU (all of whom are having down years), then Sark is not the answer and the sad reality is that we will probably never be a relevant football program ever again. Yes, I still want us to win out and get to the CCG, but I think 4 out of 5 is the realistic bar considering that would give us our first 10-win season since we fired Mack. I'm not happy Quinn got hurt, but I'm at least somewhat excited to see what we really have in Sark as far as quarterback development is concerned. Our remaining schedule is soft as baby shit, so if he is as advertised we're going to be just fine.  

You may want to check out some of Kansas State's more recent results, since they've included Avery Johnson in their QB rotation.

Edited by cochamps
  • Rage+1 1

31 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

All that but you have to factor in Murphy's health, which I don't think we know half the story

From Horns247:

“The most impressive fact about Maalik Murphy to me is that he was first offered by three different offensive coordinators at Texas,” Roach said. “Tim Beck made him the first QB offer in the 2022 class, and Mike Yurcich re-offered as soon as he was hired at Texas. When Steve Sarkisian took over, Murphy was once again a priority target for the Longhorns. Though they once had a commitment from Quinn Ewers and were working to flip him while he was pledged to Ohio State, it was clear that Murphy possessed tools that each coach loved.

“One, I think he loves the culture of Texas, the community, you know, the people, everything around it,” Hernandez said of what kept Murphy in Austin. “He’s been excited to be there. He’s kind of changed the way he is. I was there this summer and he picked me up in his car. He was just playing nothing but country music the entire time. He said it’s all he listens to. He was like I love it. He could see I loved it. We’ve been sending each other songs. He’s just really bought in. He really loves it there. Again, the personalty that Maalik has, he’s not one to shy away from competition. There were a lot of opportunities, even coming out of high school going into college, where probably the path seemed smoother to be QB1. He said this program checks the boxes for me and I’m not scared to compete and I’m not going anywhere. He’s a fighter.” 

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

That KSU dude came off the bench and ripped Tech for 5 TDs. Unbelievable talent evaluation there

He was a national top 100 recruit.

1 minute ago, immamac said:

MM isn’t going to lose us games. 

I hope you're right.  The next few weeks are going to be really interesting.

1 hour ago, GTJ1982 said:

If this is the case why did the offense completely stall after the first quarter?  Why doesn't Sark just keep doing something until the defense adjusts?

Quinn seemed to be holding out for the long ball and then checked down when that didn't materialize.   Several times, if he had checked down faster, Brooks would have probably beaten his man in the open field.

Something else that was panifully obivous all game was that we ignored the middle of the field a lot and have been off and on all season.   As bad as our D gets scorched in the middle, our O just skips over using that art of the field a lot.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Quinn seemed to be holding out for the long ball and then checked down when that didn't materialize.   Several times, if he had checked down faster, Brooks would have probably beaten his man in the open field.

Something else that was panifully obivous all game was that we ignored the middle of the field a lot and have been off and on all season.   As bad as our D gets scorched in the middle, our O just skips over using that art of the field a lot.  

Unfortunate because guys like Whittington and JT Sanders could dominate the middle of the field on simple slants and crossing routes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

From Horns247:

“The most impressive fact about Maalik Murphy to me is that he was first offered by three different offensive coordinators at Texas,” Roach said. “Tim Beck made him the first QB offer in the 2022 class, and Mike Yurcich re-offered as soon as he was hired at Texas. When Steve Sarkisian took over, Murphy was once again a priority target for the Longhorns. Though they once had a commitment from Quinn Ewers and were working to flip him while he was pledged to Ohio State, it was clear that Murphy possessed tools that each coach loved.

All this says is "Hey, look how dysfunctional we've been!"

• Fuck You 7

Ive set my expectations incredibly low because I have seen this movie before, and the sequel. I hope it works out but my excitement for the playoffs is gone. 4-1 is probably the best we can hope for unless Quinn comes back for Iowa St.

vs BYU - toss up

vs KSt - toss up

@ TCU - W

@Iowa St - L

vs Tech - W

1 hour ago, UTGrad98 said:

vs BYU - toss up

The last time we played BYU at home we beat them with a young and inexperienced Herp Derp, and that BYU team won 10 games.  Saturday's game ain't no toss up.  Get ahold of yourself.

Edit:  Yes, I did block out 2014, and most of the Charlie Strong era.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

Ive set my expectations incredibly low because I have seen this movie before, and the sequel. I hope it works out but my excitement for the playoffs is gone. 4-1 is probably the best we can hope for unless Quinn comes back for Iowa St.

vs BYU - toss up

vs KSt - toss up

@ TCU - W

@Iowa St - L

vs Tech - W

az616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=630&h=f59196f9d

21 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

vs BYU - toss up

vs KSt - toss up

@ TCU - W

@Iowa St - L

vs Tech - W

Only this actor probably can’t be fired for a bit.  His predecessor was fired prematurely Imo but he was abusing people on set

The last time we played BYU at home we beat them with a young and inexperienced Herp Derp, and that BYU team won 10 games.  Saturday's game ain't no toss up.  Get ahold of yourself.

LOL. You must’ve mentally blocked out 2014… When BYU came into DKR and beat us 41-7…
  • Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

vs BYU - toss up

vs KSt - toss up

@ TCU - W

@Iowa St - L

vs Tech - W

18 pt favorites are now a toss up?

I know we've been battered the past 13 years, but come on.

I think Kansas St can give us a game.  The other 4 teams are trash.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Pound Town said:

18 pt favorites are now a toss up?

I know we've been battered the past 13 years, but come on.

I think Kansas St can give us a game.  The other 4 teams are trash.

Not saying those teams aren't trash. But how many times have The Texas Longhorns been beaten by trash teams over the years? Respect the trash. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UTGrad98 said:

vs BYU - toss up

vs KSt - toss up

@ TCU - W

@Iowa St - L

vs Tech - W

I think the lizards on the road is a more likely loss than the Mormons at home. And it's more of a bragging rights forever game and its a helluva long history. I know it was the same for Baylor, but Baylor flat out sucks.

3 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

I'm sure they'll be practicing a lot of quick dump off's this week. Hopefully Maalik can burn them on a couple. It's not like he's a true freshman.

I want to buy  a prop bet that Sark dials up a deep shot to open the game. It would be so Sark. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TexasPride10 said:

This is wrong. This team isn’t 2006-2009 talented, especially not when banged up. Every game is gonna be a dogfight from here on out. 

Maalik also missed his spring camp due to injury, he’s had to overhaul his throwing mechanics, and learn a completely new offense on top of that. He was a complete project coming out of HS.

He's likely not ready yet, but hopefully he knows enough of the playbook to keep defenses honest until Quinn comes back. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Not saying those teams aren't trash. But how many times have The Texas Longhorns been beaten by trash teams over the years? Respect the trash. 

I get it.  Saturday brought me some very visceral flashbacks.

I was just arguing that these games aren't tossups when you are favored by that many pts.  We may end up performing poorly and making it close or lose, but they are not tossups.

6 minutes ago, Pound Town said:

I get it.  Saturday brought me some very visceral flashbacks.

I was just arguing that these games aren't tossups when you are favored by that many pts.  We may end up performing poorly and making it close or lose, but they are not tossups.

JFC.  We are literally hours past barely beating Houston.  Shut the fuck up.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

We have a weak schedule ahead of us and our QB room is talented, albeit young. You never know how one of them might step up given the opportunity to lead, so I remain positive and excited to see how they respond. The biggest risk in my opinion is Sark's playcalling and coaching. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Everyone talks about Alabama being the turning point for Texas football, but BYU has had the biggest impact on this team’s trajectory into where it is now.

In 2011 we beat BYU in DKR (17-16) but that game was where Garrett Gilbert was booed by fans and pulled for Herp Derp and Ash. Garrett Gilbert transferred and we were left with a rotation of McCoy and Ash until Mack got fired.

The 2013 loss against BYU on the road (21-40) was such a beating that it ultimately kicked off the push for Mack Brown to get fired at the end of the season. Everybody knew who Taysom Hill was after the game. 

The next year BYU came into DKR and kicked our ass even worse (7-41) under new coach Charlie Strong. This was one game before the UCLA coin toss fuckup. The Charlie Strong era was over before it even started.

This game should knock everything back into place for us. Sark, a former BYU QB, is coaching Maalik Murphy in his first ever collegiate start at home inside of DKR. If Maalik plays a good game, we’re getting a preview of what’s to come next year in the SEC. Let’s fucking do this. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Everyone talks about Alabama being the turning point for Texas football, but BYU has had the biggest impact on this team’s trajectory into where it is now.

In 2011 we beat BYU in DKR (17-16) but that game was where Garrett Gilbert was booed by fans and pulled for Herp Derp and Ash. Garrett Gilbert transferred and we were left with a rotation of McCoy and Ash until Mack got fired.

The 2013 loss against BYU on the road (21-40) was such a beating that it ultimately kicked off the push for Mack Brown to get fired at the end of the season. Everybody knew who Taysom Hill was after the game. 

The next year BYU came into DKR and kicked our ass even worse (7-41) under new coach Charlie Strong. This was one game before the UCLA coin toss fuckup. The Charlie Strong era was over before it even started.

This game should knock everything back into place for us. Sark, a former BYU QB, is coaching Maalik Murphy in his first ever collegiate start at home inside of DKR. If Maalik plays a good game, we’re getting a preview of what’s to come next year in the SEC. Let’s fucking do this. 

fight-club-punch-self.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

BYU game is going to be tough. Half our starting 22 is having injury issues including the entire secondary outside of Crawford and Taaffe who always play safety like they're injured. 

Starting a new QB against a defense that forces a lot of turnovers. 

Thankfully their offense sucks and their QB can't run. But Houston's defense really sucks and they knocked out our QB and held us to 10 points for the majority of the final 3 quarters. 

No style points this game. Have to hope Maalik is legit and ready after being in this offense for a year and a half and the defense can hold up. Just find a way to win and worry about a suddenly really good looking KSU team next week. 

This is where blowing that game in the Cotton bowl really hurts. We'd have a 1 game margin of error if we had taken care of business against a lesser opponent there. 

Lots of folks have had their feelings hurt by the fact we aren't as good as the bobblehead pundits claimed before the season. No, we're not one of the top four teams in America, but we've improved quite a bit since Sark arrived. In fact, I wouldn't trade where we are now for this point of any other season over the past decade-plus. Let's tighten up that pass D and give Murphy a fighting chance by running the ball well. If we do those things, I'll consider it a positive year regardless of how many games we win. 

• Hook 'Em 4

If Maalik is gonna play well this year, this is the week. There's next to no film on the guy, and he’s at home. I believe in his tools, but I don’t believe in his consistency yet. We will see 

An X-factor is that he’s got a lot of charisma, and the team really responds to him. Very similar to the spark Sam provided as a true freshman.

I hope he lights it up out there. Just gotta protect the ball. 

• Hook 'Em 5

41 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Lots of folks have had their feelings hurt by the fact we aren't as good as the bobblehead pundits claimed before the season. No, we're not one of the top four teams in America, but we've improved quite a bit since Sark arrived. In fact, I wouldn't trade where we are now for this point of any other season over the past decade-plus. Let's tighten up that pass D and give Murphy a fighting chance by running the ball well. If we do those things, I'll consider it a positive year regardless of how many games we win. 

I don’t know that we’re not, actually. No one has looked dominant this year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Atticus said:

This is wrong. This team isn’t 2006-2009 talented, especially not when banged up. Every game is gonna be a dogfight from here on out. 

Maalik also missed his spring camp due to injury, he’s had to overhaul his throwing mechanics, and learn a completely new offense on top of that. He was a complete project coming out of HS.

He's likely not ready yet, but hopefully he knows enough of the playbook to keep defenses honest until Quinn comes back. 

I'm willing to bet whoever pulled the trigger on an offer to Maalik from UT, Michigan, Alabama, Ohio St., Oregon, had a scouting projection that DIDN'T read: "this kid has no tools, no mechanics, and is a COMPLETE PROJECT but I have a hunch.... we should offer yesterday." I get your sentiment, but to be a P5 offer you literally have to be more than a "complete project," so this was a weird way to say he wasn't polished at 17.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers