Let’s talk crime in America

Satchel

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That article is actually pretty decent in that it doesn't attribute the crime wave to any one certain thing and certainly not the "democrat" governing Houston or any of the other bills of goods that right wingers are trying to sell.

What it does note is that crime seems to correspond to social unrest and we have had a shit ton of it over the last 3-4 years with Covid and politics and other things.

Also, that article lacks a bit of perspective in that it does not mention the per capita homicide rate in Houston, where it doesn't even crack the top 10. 

And, that same site, datalytics, indicates that Houston homicide is actually trending down by almost 6% this year-to-date.

My point, which got lost in the weeds, wasn’t that I’m putting this at the feet of Dems. It’s that they’re finally admitting it’s real, albeit too late. Well, at least sane people. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

2 hours ago, Satchel said:

Meanwhile:

For roughly two weeks now, since the FBI executed a court-authorized search of Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence for documents pilfered from the White House by the former president, Georgia Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene has been calling for the dissolution of federal law enforcement. “Defund the FBI!” Greene tweeted on August 8, a sentiment she would echo in multiple follow-up posts, coupled with demands that the Justice Department be dismantled and Merrick Garland—against whom Greene has filed impeachment articles—be removed as attorney general. A few days after her original screed, Greene shared a campaign-style grainy montage of Fox News talking heads and cable news clips, a series of sound bites meant to terrify white conservatives into believing that the FBI is enforcing the law with color-blind vigor. “Joe Biden has weaponized the FBI and DOJ against President Trump and his supporters,” the accompanying text on the post warned. “This isn’t the first time. and it won’t be the last.” The only surefire way to fight to the power, the ad suggests? With a “Defund the FBI” hat or T-shirt, which Greene just so happens to be selling on her fundraising website for $30 a pop

Please learn to paste as plain text for the love of fuck. This is just black on black if you're using dark mode.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The other aggy has arrived! All we are missing is our Russian troll and this will be a real party

It’s gonna be ok.  This is the anger step in your grief cycle.  Bargaining, denial and acceptance will be tough but you can get through it.

Edited by Incredulity
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

One odd irony is that Texas, of all places, has been pretty progressive in doing things like drug and alternative courts to try to address incarceration nation.  It's been an ongoing thing for 25-plus years.  Kind of like the Kochs were/are actually big proponents of prison reform and the predecessors to the First Step Act were actually sponsored by pre-Trump Republicans and had solid bipartisan support.  The usual suspects in the Senate gutted a lot of it when it passed.

Dallas County DA John Creuzot, who is now progressive, but was pretty "conservative" in the past (meaning the "good" kind, not what passes for it today), practically invented the drug diversion court.  He's had some non-prosecution policies that have caught some shit and I'm not sure they're ultimately the way to go, but it is sure as hell worth a try.

One of the problems is that crime is a difficult sociological problem with a lot of causes a lot of ins, outs, what-have-yous.  A blunt force approach of more policing, more arrests, more convictions and more (longer) sentencing does zero to address the problems.

Anyone that tries to tie crime rates to one simple correlation, like progressive prosecution, reduced police presence, bail reform, or lenient sentencing is trying to sell you a bill of goods.

No, but it's easy to do, requires little thought and effort, is easier to profit off, and helps get re-elected. 

You have to have very strong convictions to do the right thing even at the expensive of your own personal profit in order to not take that path. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Odd. Why are so many Texans outraged that so many of the jan6 defendants are spending their pre-trial time in jail?  The ones that acted violently?

Those are ok.  They’re white and wear wrap around shades so they’re pretty ok people.

double the number of criminal courts in the top 15 counties
One new criminal district court in Harris county since 1985 even though there's 2.1 million more people here has a lot to do with the backlog. Which, again for those in the back, Republicans want because they can run on that.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

41 minutes ago, elfenix said:
58 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:
double the number of criminal courts in the top 15 counties

One new criminal district court in Harris county since 1985 even though there's 2.1 million more people here has a lot to do with the backlog. Which, again for those in the back, Republicans want because they can run on that.

Correct 

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Not true. Would much rather convictions of the backlogged and them be on their way with serving their time.  The messaging will work either way.  

There is a real and literal bandwidth problem with the Texas court system. The state population has doubled since the 80s, and we have not doubled the number of courts in our state. So lines are longer and waits are longer for court dates. 

Because court dates are farther away and because we have a constitutional right to a speedy trial, if the courts can't give you a speedy trial they can't hold you in jail. Your favorite grievance about bail and releasing criminals is a real problem, but it has a real and identifiable solution in adding more judge seats in proportion with our increased population to fix the underlying systemic issue. And hot wheels ain't gonna be making that situation any better. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Your favorite grievance about bail and releasing criminals is a real problem,

My favorite grievance? Far from true. It does suck we have so many criminals here, tho.  I don’t disagree with anything you wrote. More courthouses, judges, and prisons. Let’s do it. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

More courthouses, judges, and prisons. Let’s do it. 

I do disagree with more prisons. We are the most imprisoned society on earth. And we use that prisoner population as slave labor because the 13A carved that out. And it costs far more per prisoner to put them in prison than to rehab them and get them back into society. 

More prisons is more costs, and more taxpayer money to private prisons and their shareholders. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Wait Houston streets are a warzone?
I mean, mine is, but it oftentimes looks like a frat party spilled into the street as we walk through the remnants of seltzer cans on a Saturday morning.
I guess I'm in danger of some mid-20s slut vomiting in the grass next to my house after leaving McIntyres, but I don't think that's showing up in a crime report.

Dude, there are nerf bullets in my yard. To this day, I still find some lodged in a shrub or two. This is after that gang war that featured no less than 15 combatants in broad daylight unloading on one another. I got his by a stray as well. I am lucky to be alive.
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I do disagree with more prisons. We are the most imprisoned society on earth. And we use that prisoner population as slave labor because the 13A carved that out. And it costs far more per prisoner to put them in prison than to rehab them and get them back into society. 

More prisons is more costs, and more taxpayer money to private prisons and their shareholders. 

I figured you would. But, we have a large portion of society that’s unable to keep themselves from breaking  the law. Another couple grand a year in taxes to not share space with undesirables is a no brainer. 

Stopbreakingthelawasshole.gif.true liar

Harris county stats show the following things:
1 - crime DECLINING.

2 - dem judges are higher bonds for murder defendants than Repub judges.

BTW, I think that the recent rise on crime was mostly due to social and economic factors more than it was due to any political act/event by any person/party.

But, that doesn’t rile up voters.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

BTW, I think that the recent rise on crime was mostly due to social and economic factors more than it was due to any political act/event by any person/party.

Of course it is.  I don’t believe the why matters to voters, at all. 

Edited by fattyflattie
*believe

10 hours ago, Js1 said:

Wait Houston streets are a warzone?

I mean, mine is, but it oftentimes looks like a frat party spilled into the street as we walk through the remnants of seltzer cans on a Saturday morning.

I guess I'm in danger of some mid-20s slut vomiting in the grass next to my house after leaving McIntyres, but I don't think that's showing up in a crime report.

Sorry for two weeks ago

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Harris county stats show the following things:
1 - crime DECLINING.

2 - dem judges are higher bonds for murder defendants than Repub judges.

Moreover, Republicans offer no solutions, let alone good ones.  About all they can come up with is raising penalties and sentences, and they haven't even seriously tried to do that in a while.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

When I told my Fox News poisoned Dad I was going to NYC alone, he kept fretting about how dangerous it was and really being a downer and I was really irritated about him trying to damper my enthusiasm.

After about the seventh lecture, I told him to compare the crime rates to Alabama and asked him why he doesn’t lecture me all the time about how dangerous my every day life should be.

He stopped bugging me after that.

I better head to the realignment thread and inform everyone it looks like New Mexico has the inside track on the next invite to the SEC.

Edited by Jhawkmvp

13 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

We’ll see who the voters believe, that’s the beauty of this conversation. I just voted and I have to say there were a lot of old people there, I didn’t see many charismatic young men like myself. Could mean something, but probably not. 

Did you mail it from Moscow or St Petersburg?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Moreover, Republicans offer no solutions, let alone good ones.  About all they can come up with is raising penalties and sentences, and they haven't even seriously tried to do that in a while.

Their whole modus operandi is:

Step 1: Say Democrats are bad

Step 2: Rarely offer specifics as to why

Step 3: Say “vote for me”

Step 4: Be asked why you’d make a better candidate

Step 5: Rinse and repeat

That’s the hardcore Republican mindset…to a T. And the mindset is that strong. Those two double digit IQ bozos with the “I’d rather be Russian than a Democrat” t shirts? Yeah that’s them in general.

They “follow” politics at the most superficial of levels, they have no engagement in same sans the dates every 2-4 years that they show up to vote against their own interests, and they can never bring themselves to vote for a Democrat because they’re that wrapped up in their stupid, feeble identity politics. It’s not about policies, it’s not about candidate “qualities,” it’s about “is there a D or an R next to his or her name?” That’s how you get 74 million voters for a career conman who never actually succeeded at anything worthwhile…and they said they voted for him because “he’s a success.” Yeah, he was a success at continuing to fool idiot rubes like them into supporting him when he didn’t give two bits of a shit about them. 

And as to the same ones that keep coming back here just to get knocked back down like a bowling pin in the same two-bit alley they’ve always been sitting, I have no idea why the rest of you are even bothering. You already know that they are terminally ill with Dunning Kruger. Their capacity to actually learn something that runs contrary to what they feel they want to believe? Yeah, that’s a dubious proposition at best.

• Hook 'Em 7

Republicans offer no solutions because that’s against conservatism. Conservatism is against change. It’s literally in the definition.

“commitment to traditional values and ideas with opposition to change or innovation”

They want to keep the status quo because the status quo benefits them. They already have all rights and privileges. High crime doesn’t bother them, they’ don’t live in neighborhoods with high crime. They don’t want to fix the crime problem because then they can’t run on that issue. They need to keep getting elected for one reason, to lower taxes to make more money. That’s it. That’s their only goal. 

• Hook 'Em 4