The Republican Civil War - it will be because we destroyed ourselves

tx 3 putt

Went to see Dune 2 with my son on Friday afternoon and one the trailers caught my eye -- "Civil War." Guess I've been living under a rock because I had no idea this flick was coming. Thoughts? Terrible timing? Master class in movie release timely-ness? One of the "quotes" from the Hollywood Reporter article really puts a This-is-our-concern, Dude bow on the situation:

The film’s timing has been a source of debate online. “The potential danger is that [right-wing] groups are not known for media literacy or nuance,” wrote one reader in an American Civil war subreddit before the film’s SXSW premiere. “And a psychotic gang of rednecks committing terrorism [in the film] to ‘own the libs’ might be obvious criticism to us, but might be interpreted as a role model to MAGA groups if not portrayed carefully.'”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/alex-garland-civil-war-release-timing-1235852725/

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Abbott gets called a traitor and a coward by GOP hardliners all the time. It just assures me that whomever comes after Abbott will be worse.

Because the rules of the GQP, which are written in stone:

1.  It only gets worse.

2.  There is no bottom.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, pacman said:

Screenshot_20240318_022729_X.jpg

Screenshot_20240318_022706_X.jpg

Along with the mention above of the film set to release, the RNC move has me wondering that besides the $$ grab by the Trump Org for its criminal syndicate if there is also the underlying thought amongst some of them that they don't really need to concern themselves with outreach because they will have other methods of staying in and/or gaining power. 

They've got red states that do their bidding, they've got SCOTUS (Likewise), and they've got the trial run coup from January 6th. I'm not feeling confident regarding the upcoming election and it isn't because the popular vote would be for Trump but  because they've told us who they are and what they are willing to do and too many people (including some of the wealthiest individuals on the planet) not only have gaslit the danger to American democracy but actively support a nationalist supremacist theocracy or at the very least, a fascist authoritarian leader who will defer to those individuals.

• Hook 'Em 6

And the Democrats aren't competent enough to administer the government for a long period of time without fucking up.

If the GOP intends to more permanently seize power once they get the controls again well...it seems inevitable.

21 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

They've got red states that do their bidding, they've got SCOTUS (Likewise), and they've got the trial run coup from January 6th.

They don't have control of the swing states, they don't have control of the DOJ, they don't have control of the military or national guard.  They had a 6-3 majority on the Supreme Court in 2020 and still couldn't get the election overturned. 

• Hook 'Em 7

29 minutes ago, Js1 said:

they don't have control of the DOJ, they don't have control of the military or national guard. 

With all due respect, I would not count on any of the above. 

Why should we assume that MAGA-Trump-Bible-Fascist consciousness has not infiltrated the military, national guard, police forces, intelligence or the DOJ? .... To the same extent as rest of US population.

-- After all, they all are exposed to the same religions and social media/mainstream media that MAGA idiot fascists are.

-- Abbott seems to have no problem sending the Texas Guard to the border. 

-- The police have long been ready and willing to crack heads on "leftists" and "protestors."

-- Don't forget that during W's war crime spree, the majority of Americans supported the use of torture by CIA-Military. NSA surveillance is already unchecked on us. Can't even count on the intelligence agencies to not turn anti-democratic.

One thing we better hope is the majority of the Top Brass Pentagon are not MAGA and keep the military under control. Or use the military to reign in any violence from Trump-loving police and MAGA insurrectionists on and after the election.

If the military go MAGA, game over. Democracy is finished. 

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 2

They don't have control of the swing states, they don't have control of the DOJ, they don't have control of the military or national guard.  They had a 6-3 majority on the Supreme Court in 2020 and still couldn't get the election overturned. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
added quote
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

3 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

With all due respect, I would not count on any of the above. 

Why should we assume that MAGA-Trump-Bible-Fascist consciousness has not infiltrated the military, national guard, police forces, intelligence or the DOJ? .... To the same extent as rest of US population.

-- After all, they all are exposed to the same religions and social media/mainstream media that MAGA idiot fascists are.

-- Abbott seems to have no problem sending the Texas Guard to the border. 

-- The police have long been ready and willing to crack heads on "leftists" and "protestors."

-- Don't forget that during W's war crime spree, the majority of Americans supported the use of torture by CIA-Military. NSA surveillance is already unchecked on us. Can't even count on the intelligence agencies to not turn anti-democratic.

One thing we better hope is the majority of the Top Brass Pentagon are not MAGA and keep the military under control. Or use the military to reign in any violence from Trump-loving police and MAGA insurrectionists on and after the election.

If the military go MAGA, game over. Democracy is finished. 

That question is much, much more open than you ever want it to be.  The only honest way to fill in that answer is "unknown."

2 hours ago, Ben Tobin said:

Speaking strictly for myself, bring it. Sick of this shit.

And yes, this.

I'm an American.  If something incredibly stupid happens, like Texas seceding and engaging in armed conflict with my country, I'll without question or hesitation come to the aid of my country.  And if that means shooting dead any number of my treasonous neighbors who have taken up arms against the United States, then praise the lord and pass the ammunition.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Siap

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/18/politics/paul-manafort-trump-reelection/index.html

Former President Donald Trump’s team is in discussions with Paul Manafort, his 2016 campaign chairman whom he later pardoned, to potentially help with the Republican National Convention in Milwaukee, three sources familiar with the ongoing conversations told CNN.

Manafort, who was one of several individuals who ran Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign, was pardoned by Trump after being found guilty of several financial crimes in 2018.

One source indicated that Manafort would be helping with fundraising around the July convention but noted that no final decisions had been made.

spacer.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Between the Manafort thing and some other stuff involving people extremely loyal to Trump, I take it as a sign that Trump is trying to 100% control the national convention and prevent any Never-Trumpers from appearing or trying to disrupt things, as well as making sure that all delegates are Trump supporters.

I think he's got some fear that a not-insignificant number are against him.

11 hours ago, C-Man said:

Went to see Dune 2 with my son on Friday afternoon and one the trailers caught my eye -- "Civil War." Guess I've been living under a rock because I had no idea this flick was coming. Thoughts? Terrible timing? Master class in movie release timely-ness? One of the "quotes" from the Hollywood Reporter article really puts a This-is-our-concern, Dude bow on the situation:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/alex-garland-civil-war-release-timing-1235852725/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Gonna be a lot of that when Meal Team 6 tries to quick draw and snags the gun on their back fat. 

More like going to grab the hot sauce on their belt and side arm goes off 

7 hours ago, Pods said:

It's a defining feature of fascism that they will come for you eventually.

Everyone is on the list. The only question is your place in line. 

Really not just fascism… but more broadly authoritarianism.

Mao or Stalin were also guilty of having people in their good graces who executed their policies…. Until they weren’t or those policies became a liability. Then they went from executing to being executed. 
Rinse and repeat until the guy on top dies… 

But that’s when the fun really starts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Between the Manafort thing and some other stuff involving people extremely loyal to Trump, I take it as a sign that Trump is trying to 100% control the national convention and prevent any Never-Trumpers from appearing or trying to disrupt things, as well as making sure that all delegates are Trump supporters.
I think he's got some fear that a not-insignificant number are against him.
Slocum's razor. There are only so many people willing to work for him that haven't gotten thrown under the bus.

Can you imagine the cast of ghouls in his next administration?

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists evangelicals

They all adore him.  They think he's a righteous dude.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists evangelicals

So work up a number 6 on 'em?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Oh Marge, we didn't need this bill to tell us your majority is a failure. 

Cracking Up Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Can someone explain to me how they can fucking lie, like fucking bald faced LIE on the floor of congress? I'm pretty sure a fucking full term abortion is illegal in every fucking state in this country, and federally. And yet here she is saying this budget fucking supports it. How in the fuck man?

• Hook 'Em 1

Also will be so on brand if they jettison Johnson because he put a bill on the floor to fund the government. 

That's it.  There's no Ukraine aid.  It's literally a bill to keep the government operating, which is the bare minimum of Congress' job.  

And they're so shortsighted, they've already forgotten the 13-round Kevin McCarthy vote, followed by the MTV and the resulting slap and tickle fight to pick Johnson, really hurt them in the polls.  

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Also will be so on brand if they jettison Johnson because he put a bill on the floor to fund the government. 

That's it.  There's no Ukraine aid.  It's literally a bill to keep the government operating, which is the bare minimum of Congress' job.  

And they're so shortsighted, they've already forgotten the 13-round Kevin McCarthy vote, followed by the MTV and the resulting slap and tickle fight to pick Johnson, really hurt them in the polls.  

None of the people who are pushing for a recall and shutdown are threatened. And they don’t actually care about their colleagues or ever getting a majority.  Republicans yearn to be the permanent minority. 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Any chance this backfires and a coalition forms to elect jefferies?  But are we stuck with the house rule of single motion to vacate for the entire term?

the new Speaker can try to pass a new rules package.  If they have the votes

1 minute ago, bluto said:

Does her motion automatically go to a vote to vacate or is it like a vote to decide to hold a vacate vote? 

the rules are it only takes 1 because they are fucking idiots. 

• Rage+1 1

Yep, goes straight to a vote to vacate their Speakership.  But from my reading, they will do the spending bill first and then the MTV (can delay it up to 2 session days).