Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

51 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

One of my family members was an Assistant DA here in Austin for 30+ years. UT does pretty much whatever they want. She says you wouldn't believe how much criminal player conduct never got out. UT keeps direct contact w the DA's office. Or, if it did get out, it would get watered down. In one case, a matter of armed robbery became a "fist fight." (Remember that one?)

UT probably did their own investigation, which is why they felt so comfortable with their decision. Beard and his lawyer suck. 

Cedric Benson kicking a door in to "take back his plasma TV" comes to mind lol

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

He isn't one of the all-time best college recruiters for nothing.

so, the GF is a florida state grad.  I took her to the FSU-Auburn national championship game at the rose bowl.  She was a sorority girl, and had a ton of friends come to the game, so we went to a half-dozen pre and postgame tailgates.  So, one of the tailgate hosts was/is a Tampa lawyer.  He's the older brother of one of her sorority buddies, and he's a frat guy himself.  Introductions are made.  I'm introduced as "Gil".  Tampa lawyer asks if I went to FSU (I'm wearing a FSU shirt that the GF furnished).  The GF pipes up and says no, that I'm a Cal Poly guy, but that she regularly does a load or two of burnt-orange laundry, as that's where my fandom is. 

Tampa lawyer laughs, and tells me Mack was his pledge brother, and that they are still tight.  He pulls me aside and says hey, I'm sure you know that Mack's a tremendous recruiter, but, unless you've seen 20-something Mack recruit pussy for himself, you haven't seen anything.

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

Yeah, that's pretty much the realization that I came to after the first few days of this shitshow. We've all known a few couples that had a fiery relationship and were constantly having blowout fights. I can't for the life of me figure why people willingly put up with that shit, but people are wired different ways.

1.) If he sticks with his fiance, even if everything was her fault/made up BS, there's a non-negligible chance that the cops get called to their house again. I've heard rumors that there have been other incidents with the two of them in public, and if that's the case, I just cant see the University rolling the dice that this incident wont repeat. 

2.) If he cuts bait with her immediately, how confident can you be that something similar wont go down with another women he dates. He is an intense fiery guy that I'm guessing like to throw a few back every now and again. It took all of 18 months here in Austin for this shit to go down. 

This wasnt just a public verbal spat that someone recorded on their phone and uploaded to the internet. That shit would blow over, and a second chance would be expected. This was an arrest for DV with Beards mugshot all over the internet. Much harder to justify second chances when there's an arrest in the mix. The primary purpose of this university is not to win basketball games, or at least that is not what the people making the decisions here would consider the primary purpose of the university to be. And ultimately that's all that matters. 

WHAT THE FUCK DOES "CUT BAIT" MEAN? 

• Haha 2

Perry Minton . . . my wife went to HS with him and half of you degenerates.  She seems to think he was fairly unremarkable, but certainly not stupid.  I knew his Dad through one of the MBFC associates I dated, and I barely remember Perry hanging around trying to score beer in the "Red Room".  

I would not want to be on the other side of the courtroom from Roy, Charlie Burton, John Foster, or Rip Collins, that's for sure.  Those guys were legal animals.  If Perry inherited half his Dad's skills, he probably did what he could for Beard, bad spelling and the vapors notwithstanding.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, kevwun said:

I'm talking about a news story down the road, not new charges.  She can embarrass him anytime she wants going forward.

She already had her cut at that, and folded to greed. She has zero credibility. I agree with porterhouse- if I'm Beard, I run and get far away from her. Admit to bad judgment and get documented professional help. Start over at whatever university, but absolutely without that lunatic holding it over his head.

I also want to say I was wrong about the University of Texas.  I really felt like the business case would overrule accountability and that did not happen.  Props to the leadership at our state's flagship university.  In today's social/ business climate, I find it refreshing and just,

Lastly, wherever Beard might land, I will tell you- few things this side of a championship are sweeter that beating that motherfucker's ass on the basketball court after he leaves your program. We shall all see how that goes.  I would posit that while today it might feel like rock bottom, there are still all of the advantages and support that the Texas program enjoys. The decision  today SUPPORTS reasons for people to continue following the program.  Things are not as bad as they seem.  

1 minute ago, slorch said:

Lastly, wherever Beard might land, I will tell you- few things this side of a championship are sweeter that beating that motherfucker's ass on the basketball court after he leaves your program. We shall all see how that goes.  I would posit that while today it might feel like rock bottom, there are still all of the advantages and support that the Texas program enjoys. The decision  today SUPPORTS reasons for people to continue following the program.  Things are not as bad as they seem.  

Let's not get over our skis here.  When Beard left Tech for UT, he left y'all at the altar.  He came THIS close to a national title.

At Texas, it was all potential so far.  I don't think anyone who was paying attention this year didn't think he had something special going on, but I also don't think anyone thought we were a lock for the Final Four, either.

The arc was clearly upward, though, and then he fucked up.  I honestly couldn't give a damn where he goes from here.  He didn't dump us, he just let us down.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

I really felt like the business case would overrule accountability and that did not happen.

The business case certainly won out here. I think that some people just have different POVs on what the business case of the University of Texas really is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Let's not get over our skis here.  When Beard left Tech for UT, he left y'all at the altar.  He came THIS close to a national title.

At Texas, it was all potential so far.  I don't think anyone who was paying attention this year didn't think he had something special going on, but I also don't think anyone thought we were a lock for the Final Four, either.

The arc was clearly upward, though, and then he fucked up.  I honestly couldn't give a damn where he goes from here.  He didn't dump us, he just let us down.

He's headed to a McNeese St. caliber school

This is pretty much a perfect statement:

“The University of Texas has parted ways with Chris Beard. This has been a difficult situation that we've been diligently working through. Today I informed Mr. Beard of our decision to terminate him effective immediately.

We thank Coach Rodney Terry for his exemplary leadership both on and off the court at a time when our team needed it most. We are grateful he will remain the acting head coach for the remainder of the season.

We are proud of our student-athletes, coaches and staff, who throughout this difficult time have continued to make us proud to be Longhorns.”

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

This is pretty much a perfect statement:

I liked this part better:

The university does not have a preference for his resignation versus his termination.

Look I don't really care where you come down on this topic.  But this is how our lawyers should let their nuts hang when they are speaking on behalf of our University. 

• Hook 'Em 6

4 hours ago, txindep said:

*coaching

*fiancée

How much per hour do you have to pay for correct spelling?

Criminal attorneys don’t bill by the hour. Their entire fee is earned when the payment is made (and usually with additional payments of you go to trial). So spelling is less important. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hornian said:

Criminal attorneys don’t bill by the hour. Their entire fee is earned when the payment is made (and usually with additional payments of you go to trial). So spelling is less important. 

Is Minton billing as a criminal lawyer in his back and forth with UT's legal on matters related to his ongoing employment.  Or lack thereof as it may be?

35 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I liked this part better:

The university does not have a preference for his resignation versus his termination.

Look I don't really care where you come down on this topic.  But this is how our lawyers should let their nuts hang when they are speaking on behalf of our University. 

Is that you Vince? 😉

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Is Minton billing as a criminal lawyer in his back and forth with UT's legal on matters related to his ongoing employment.  Or lack thereof as it may be?

Not sure. But he certainly started out in a criminal lawyer capacity. 

• Like 1

Minton's letter cracks me up. FIRST He states the school never interviewed Beard or Randi. They wouldn't need to since there are hard to ignore pieces of evidence out there like: the actual statement Randi made to the police, the 911 call, photos of the bite and bruises. Just those not yet released things would be enough to end his contract without getting into a "He said, she said" interview.

SECOND, Trew did NOT make an emphatic retraction. She said he didn't 'strangle' me. But she didn't deny other claims in the arrest report. Like bites, bruises, and claims of him being extremely violent. And her letter said she didn't think he 'meant' to hurt her. (The exact words of every GF who endures abuse) She never said she wasn't hurt, she wasn't scared or he wasn't violent. She did say she understood how breaking his glasses set him off and how she could see he may have been acting in self defense. Still, Her walk back was faint and intentionally released on a Friday after five, that's when politicians release bad news to the press in order to increase the likelihood that it goes unnoticed.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

Minton's letter cracks me up. FIRST He states the school never interviewed Beard or Randi. They wouldn't need to since there are hard to ignore pieces of evidence out there like: the actual statement Randi made to the police, the 911 call, photos of the bite and bruises. Just those not yet released things would be enough to end his contract without getting into a "He said, she said" interview.

SECOND, Trew did NOT make an emphatic retraction. She said he didn't 'strangle' me. But she didn't deny other claims in the arrest report. Like bites, bruises, and claims of him being extremely violent. And her letter said she didn't think he 'meant' to hurt her. (The exact words of every GF who endures abuse) She never said she wasn't hurt, she wasn't scared or he wasn't violent. She did say she understood how breaking his glasses set him off and how she could see he may have been acting in self defense. Still, Her walk back was faint and intentionally released on a Friday after five, that's when politicians release bad news to the press in order to increase the likelihood that it goes unnoticed.

Your 2nd point has some flaws... her walk back was definitely meant to be noticed.  It's being used for Beard's defense by Minton.  Also her walk back was carefully worded with obvious legal input...  

7 hours ago, MrX said:

What strikes me is Beard’s criminal attorney is out in front of the dialogue with UT. The termination is a civil matter. Where’s his damn civil trial lawyer?  Amateur hour from his side. 

The civil angle isn't rocket science.  If they file suit, I'm sure they'll get a commercial litigator.  And, they do some civil work as well.

At this point it's just "advocacy," bluster.  Just have to be careful not to make an admission that can be used against Beard, and that transcends civil and criminal.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

ztejas marks thread as unreadable

No, really. Y'all are doing great. Please keep it up. 

I’ve prepped myself for reading this thread by by re-reading any game thread where Charlie Strong was the coach and going into the CR for 30 second intervals. There’s still pain but I’m tolerating it a little better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Texas fans probably need to brace themselves for how fast and how successfully Beard’s image will be rehabilitated and he will be coaching at a significant program. There’s a decent chance he will be coaching a top 20 program in a year or less. I wouldn’t even be surprised if he is immediately hired. 

Bonus prediction.  While many Texas fans will continue to believe that the brand damage and codes of conduct were reason enough to fire him (a lot of surly posters), by this time next year, many Texas fans will be seriously questioning whether firing him was the right decision. 

These views are not necessarily representative of Surly Inc. management and ownership, nor the author. E Pluribus Unum. 

edited to explicitly address comment about code of conduct. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Texas fans probably need to brace themselves for how fast and how successfully Beard’s image will be rehabilitated and he will be coaching at a significant program. There’s a decent chance he will be coaching a top 20 program in a year or less. I wouldn’t even be surprised if he is immediately hired. 

Bonus prediction.  While many Texas fans will continue to believe that the brand damage was reason enough to fire him (a lot of surly posters), by this time next year, many Texas fans will be seriously questioning whether firing him was the right decision. 

These views are not necessarily representative of Surly Inc. management and ownership, nor the author. E Pluribus Unum. 

There are already many Texas fans who seriously question it.  But “brand damage” was not the reason he was fired, if you believe that codes of conduct and value statements aren’t just for show.  

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

There are already many Texas fans who seriously question it.  But “brand damage” was not the reason he was fired, if you believe that codes of conduct and value statements aren’t just for show.  

Yes of course. Post edited to reflect that. 

Bonus prediction.  While many Texas fans will continue to believe that the brand damage and codes of conduct were reason enough to fire him (a lot of surly posters), by this time next year, many Texas fans will be seriously questioning whether firing him was the right decision. 

He will absolutely be hired very soon. Probably after the next season. And not for some podunk school. By that time, no one will even give a shit about this. It's the news cycle culture we live in.

Should have kept him suspended this whole season without pay. Let the off-season play out and see where we are. Not sure what changed from the day he was arrested and yesterday.

This isn't some Art Briles or Paterno scandal. It's his own personal life. Recruits won't care about this. Majority of fans won't. This wasn't even in the news any longer.

His next program will benefit highly from his ability. And some Texas fans will put their chest out about how holy they were for getting rid of some scumbag to protect the brand. Whatever the brand actually represents. Because this same brand let a ton of shit slide and straight up covered up in the 2000s when the football team was on top.
  • Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

He will absolutely be hired very soon. Probably after the next season. And not for some podunk school. By that time, no one will even give a shit about this. It's the news cycle culture we live in.

Should have kept him suspended this whole season without pay. Let the off-season play out and see where we are. Not sure what changed from the day he was arrested and yesterday.

This isn't some Art Briles or Paterno scandal. It's his own personal life. Recruits won't care about this. Majority of fans won't. This wasn't even in the news any longer.

His next program will benefit highly from his ability. And some Texas fans will put their chest out about how holy they were for getting rid of some scumbag to protect the brand. Whatever the brand actually represents. Because this same brand let a ton of shit slide and straight up covered up in the 2000s when the football team was on top.

The university may tolerate being embarrassed on the field/court by its employees but it doesn’t tolerate being embarrassed off of it with mugshots and arrests at 2am for assault 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

FWIW, Erin Hogan on 104.9 The Horn this morning is reporting he is hearing that Chris Beard could be cleared of all charges by the legal system as soon as tomorrow.  Do with that what you will

I heard that as well.  You'd hope that the University and its legal team had enough information to cut Beard loose now, regardless of whether Beard would ultimately be indicted.  If not, it seem like the firing is premature, even if that ultimately would have been the decision.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Revisionist history is what this site does best.

Every game the next coach loses will be a “well if Beard was coaching that game” debate. 

9 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

He's headed to a McNeese St. caliber school

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think it'd be funny if he ended up back at UNLV.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

This post seems reasonable with the information we currently have before us. But just wait until FOIA requests are granted for things like, body cam footage, pictures of bite and bruises on Randi, and most of all the 911 call. The DA of whoever has the tape CANNOT keep it a secret. When the 911 call comes out, plus other evidence gathered  on Dec 12th, Beard will be unhirable. You know there's been the "Why hasn't he been fired already" crowd out there since day one. Think how outraged they'd be when the police release all the evidence.

Also, UT's internal investigation will eventually have to be made public. You can bet the farm that they found enough to fire him and too much dirt that retention is impossible. UT didn't fire Beard in order to err on the side of caution or because as Minton alluded to, fear of the Twitterverse. They fired him for cause, for hitting his GF. My bet and this is just a guess is that UT has emails that they've sent to Beard about Trew and her behavior towards staff on UT road trips. The internal investigation report may actually villainize Randi, but that won't matter if Beard finally got tired of her crap and lit her up.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I heard that as well.  You'd hope that the University and its legal team had enough information to cut Beard loose now, regardless of whether Beard would ultimately be indicted.  If not, it seem like the firing is premature, even if that ultimately would have been the decision.

I keep going back to this: UT also released a letter to Beard’s lawyer in which the school’s VP of legal affairs wrote that Beard “does not understand the significance of the behavior he knows he engaged in.”

I don’t know what dealings Beard and his lawyer has had with UT/AD/Legal Dept since the incident/arrest…so it’s difficult for me not to read into that. Was he just not very contrite or willing to work with UT to rehab his image or take recommended steps or did UT not offer him a path for this at all. The wording of it makes me think Beard did something additional to piss them off since the arrest…but who the hell knows? 

Whatever the reason(s) we weren’t willing to see how the charges played out/to see if they were dropped and that’s about all we do know. 

• immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi
  • immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi