Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

3 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Can they portal during the tourney? My fear is we can’t hire a coach until summer and big portal names are gone. To be fair I don’t know the portal schedule for mbb 

Beard and Schaefer turned around the roster in year 1 in big part to the portal. 

I don't know why the next coach can't do the same. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Can they portal during the tourney? My fear is we can’t hire a coach until summer and big portal names are gone. To be fair I don’t know the portal schedule for mbb 

The NCAA tournament ends on April 3. CDC better have a damn coach in place no later than May 1. Plenty of time 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Same.  The facts needed to reach this decision have been available since day one, approximately.

According to Minton (yeah, but I don't think he's going to wildly misrepresent anything), there wasn't any real investigation by the University.

If I had to guess, it would be simply dithering on the part of the BoR/Eltife.

The facts are that he's a really good basketball coach that they didn't want to lose, so they were hoping something would materialize in order to keep him that wouldn't tarnish the brand any further.  Nothing materialized.  

2 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

*alleged fight.  The whole point is we do not know what happened that led to his arrest.

It seems likely there was a two-way fight, but we do not know that at this point.

Conduct unbecoming can be as simple as not having the judgment to extract himself from the situation in a manner that avoided embarrassing UT. Alleged fight or no fight. Assuming arguendo that she was the aggressor and the only person who acted violently in any way (and, I think that’s highly unlikely), he still didn’t extract himself from the situation, resulting in his arrest & mugshot photo & video. Even if DA ultimately dismisses charges, still doesn’t undo conduct unbecoming. I thought dismissal of Beard & of charges would both happen, I also continue to think there’ll be a settlement to avoid discovery for all. I suspect there’ll also be a settlemt btwn Beard & his (presumably soon-to-be-ex-)fiancée, to avoid her suing & airing Beard dirty laundry, compromising future coaching opportunities. I’d add that now that Minton chose the aggressive path, politically motivated DA may be more not less apt to press charges (not that DA’s are political or anything). All stupid and unnecessary. Still undefeated, it seems- can even make you flush your dream job. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, txindep said:

Conduct unbecoming can be as simple as not having the judgment to extract himself from the situation in a manner that avoided embarrassing UT. Alleged fight or no fight. Assuming arguendo that she was the aggressor and the only person who acted violently in any way (and, I think that’s highly unlikely), he still didn’t extract himself from the situation, resulting in his arrest & mugshot photo & video. Even if DA ultimately dismisses charges, still doesn’t undo conduct unbecoming. I thought dismissal of Beard & of charges would both happen, I also continue to think there’ll be a settlement to avoid discovery for all. I suspect there’ll also be a settlemt btwn Beard & his (presumably soon-to-be-ex-)fiancée, to avoid her suing & airing Beard dirty laundry, compromising future coaching opportunities. I’d add that now that Minton chose the aggressive path, politically motivated DA may be more not less apt to press charges (not that DA’s are political or anything). All stupid and unnecessary. Still undefeated, it seems- can even make you flush your dream job. 

This motherfucker is a lawyer. 

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Yep. Anyone who’s ever served on a Board knows it’s extremely unified and takes on the personality of the Chairman / President. There are rarely dissensions. I’ve coming into my third year on a Board and there have been zero times anyone has disputed Chairman initiatives. 

Wow! Almost three whole years, on one Board! You must be an expert. 

image.gif.36516a22c1949aa706cdde9b89906cd3.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’ve been on about a dozen boards and I’ve lawyered for a lot more, I’ve been a committee chair several times and board chair - yeah chairman - and some with very large budgets (well into 8 figures). Well functioning boards rarely have dissension - in the actual vote tally - that is true but that’s because the hard work of keeping people informed and allowing for questions happens in advance. I can also tell you that when a massive and unexpected decision is forced on the organization, a lot of discussion happens and yes the CEO or president has a lot of influence, so would the chairman in a structure that grants a lot of power to that position but the idea that it’s just one guy dictating when massive consequences are at play is laughable, unless the notion is the board is a fiefdom and not actually a well functioning governing body. The leader would set the tone, the strategy sure, of course. But I don’t know a single well functioning board that hasn’t had robust conversation around such unexpected and important decisions, often asking for outside input from hired experts.  The BoR might not operate that way - as we’ve seen UT make stupid decisions on more than one occasaion hinting at dysfunction - but any board that functions well will have a culture of consensus building and allowing for discussion and questions prior to the unanimous vote.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, txindep said:

*coaching

*fiancée

How much per hour do you have to pay for correct spelling?

It goes beyond that.

There is inconsistency in how he punctuates The University/the University (and university shouldn't be capitalized anyways)
He also writes in sentence fragments.  
And, as I mentioned earlier, he likes passive sentence structure. 

And LOL at this gem:
"Additionally, it is my opinion shared by others that any potential charges against Coach Beard will be declined very soon."

"Wow. Your opinion is shared by others? Wow. Reinstate Coach Beard immediately."  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

It goes beyond that.

There is inconsistency in how he punctuates The University/the University (and university shouldn't be capitalized anyways)
He also writes in sentence fragments.  
And, as I mentioned earlier, he likes passive sentence structure. 

And LOL at this gem:
"Additionally, it is my opinion shared by others that any potential charges against Coach Beard will be declined very soon."

"Wow. Your opinion is shared by others? Wow. Reinstate Coach Beard immediately."  

To be fair he probably had someone else write it and they had 20 minutes to get it out there. Sounds like there might have been an ambush today. There’s nothing worse than having to run that hard with a letter or document. A well crafted lawyer letter can take 2-3 hours for a page or two. Your eyes spin, you can have blurred vision and the like when you realize you have 5 mins to get it on paper and over for review before sending it.  

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, troph said:

To be fair he probably had someone else write it and they had 20 minutes to get it out there. Sounds like there might have been an ambush today. There’s nothing worse than having to run that hard with a letter or document. A well crafted lawyer letter can take 2-3 hours for a page or two. Your eyes spin, you can have blurred vision and the like when you realize you have 5 mins to get it on paper and over for review before sending it.  

Ambushed?  DERKA called this two days ago.  Others chimed in having heard similar rumors. It was on other boards.

If Perry Minton got "ambushed", he's no Roy Minton.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Ambushed?  DERKA called this two days ago.  Others chimed in having heard similar rumors. It was on other boards.

The letter looked like he was surprised. I’m certainly not defending him. But I’m willing to give the benefit of the doubt. There might have been rumors but you can’t write the response until you get the communication that you have until 10am to resign or you’re fired for cause. Only then can you start your written response. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I fucking heard it was going down this week  (though had the day wrong) and my contacts are like 3rd degree of separation from the powers that be.  It wasn’t that much of a secret.  Guarantee he heard the same whispers, that said he might have been too pig headed to believe  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, troph said:

The letter looked like he was surprised. I’m certainly not defending him. But I’m willing to give the benefit of the doubt. There might have been rumors but you can’t write the response until you get the communication that you have until 10am to resign or you’re fired for cause. Only then can you start your written response. 

Do you think Texas would put a double secret deadline in place?  "OK, if he doesn't resign by 10 AM Thursday, we're firing him.  Shhh."

I don't believe for a minute they didn't issue an ultimatum.  There is no way talks weren't going on.  Minton is covering his ass.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, troph said:

Thanks for your professional insights. I think what you say rings true. It sure feels like the university blindsided them. Man, they don't mess around! 

Why are people taking the lawyer's word as true that there was no investigation? This is the University of Texas. I can assure you that there was a private investigation. I am guessing the lawyers saw the body cam footage, talked to the police, heard the call, etc. This isn't a court of law.  

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Do you think Texas would put a double secret deadline in place?  "OK, if he doesn't resign by 10 AM Thursday, we're firing him.  Shhh."

I don't believe for a minute they didn't issue an ultimatum.  There is no way talks weren't going on.  Minton is covering his ass.

Where did I say UT didn’t make the “offer”? I suspect that offer - if you call it that - was as late as this morning. It might have been yesterday afternoon. Just guessing based on my practice - UT played hard ball and delivered the notice with not much time for beard to decide. I’ve only done that or received that “you’ve got until tomorrow 10am” deadline more than a few times. Or the guy just sucks at writing.

I’ve also been in negotiations that aren’t negotiations. You try and the other side doesn’t want to really talk. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if UT wasn’t engaging in frenetic discussions. Then one afternoon, two days since the last discussion, boom ultimatum. Hell beard’s attorney mighta been working on an entirely different matter and BOOM letter / email / call dropped with the ultimatum. After all beard did that to UT in the middle of the night. I’ve been vindictive as fuck for my clients when it’s warranted - of course in a way like that not in a way that harms the case. 

I really don’t care I was just offering an alternate view as there’s a lot of UT is bad ass and Beard’s lawyer is shit talk and let’s be honest - Texas has made it’s fair share of pre-litigation fuckups and sometimes a lawyer was in a hurry, other times maybe he’s just a bonehead. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

Why are people taking the lawyer's word as true that there was no investigation? This is the University of Texas. I can assure you that there was a private investigation. I am guessing the lawyers saw the body cam footage, talked to the police, heard the call, etc. This isn't a court of law.  

Can they do that? Like officially and legally? Serious question. I have no idea.

I assume there's someone feeding info to the UT lawyers but I didn't think they would necessarily have official access to that info.

If more information comes out and he was completely blameless factually instead of just in spin-land, I am going to be very upset. But this whole business of chastising him over having bad taste in women, to the point where he can be fired, I can't get behind that at all. Some of the most successful people in all industries (surgeons, professors, C-suiters, engineers, lawyers, whatever it is) have absolutely embarrassing home lives. Hell, half the reason some guys become workaholics is to spend less time at home with their toxic spouses.

3 minutes ago, troph said:

Where did I say UT didn’t make the “offer”? I suspect that offer - if you call it that - was as late as this morning. It might have been yesterday afternoon. Just guessing based on my practice - UT played hard ball and delivered the notice will not much time for beard to decide. I’ve only done that or received that “you’ve got until tomorrow 10am” deadline more than a few times. Or the guy just sucks at writing. I really don’t care I was just offering an alternate view as there’s a lot of UT is bad ass and Beard’s lawyer is shit and let’s be honest - Texas has made it’s fair share of pre-litigation fuckups and sometimes a lawyer was in a hurry, other times maybe he’s just a bonehead. 

No disrespect intended.  I simply don't believe they had no idea this might be coming down the pike.

One question:  would it be beyond the pale for UT to meet with Beard post-arrest?  Would Minton have put the kibosh on that?  UT isn't law enforcement, they're the employer.  I have no good feel how that might have played out.

25 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

UT does things right. No mention of "couching" or anything of the sort.

I worry though that Rianne Brashears or whatever Brassiere is going to get unnecessary phone calls as her number is right there. “Yes! I would like to pick up my belongings. Which ones? All of them ma’am!” 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

No disrespect intended.  I simply don't believe they had no idea this might be coming down the pike.

One question:  would it be beyond the pale for UT to meet with Beard post-arrest?  Would Minton have put the kibosh on that?  UT isn't law enforcement, they're the employer.  I have no good feel how that might have played out.

Dude I don’t sense disrespect, I’m just a bit more nuanced then most. So I add what about this and what about that to the discussion. I think they knew he could be fired at any time and if he wasn’t advising beard of that he’s definitely a shitty lawyer. I’m just saying it’s very possible he didn’t know it was coming right then and he didn’t know it was resign or be fired. At that moment he had maybe a couple of hours to try and get UT to walk it back. That’s an adrenaline spike for sure that could result in silly use of the English language rather than being indicative that he’s an idiot. But fuck maybe he’s a dolt. I don’t really care.

as for meeting with UT, text book answer is no don’t do it, but I could see with counsel present where he might given his position he was innocent. It’s dicey though if prosecution is probable. My only experience with civil cases with criminal implications involve embezzlement and if there was an investigation the suspect wouldn’t talk and under oath he took the fifth. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Idk if this is just a defense attorney thing, but his lawyer sounds like an ambulance chaser and he can't even be bothered to fucking spell shit right. I would be beside myself if I was paying an attorney that much and he sent out a letter that wasn't at least spell checked. Rudy vibes.

Minton typing his response…

5A457D54-0CCA-4FC6-AA3E-734AD35C9056.gif

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Idk if this is just a defense attorney thing, but his lawyer sounds like an ambulance chaser and he can't even be bothered to fucking spell shit right. I would be beside myself if I was paying an attorney that much and he sent out a letter that wasn't at least spell checked. Rudy vibes.

Bad taste in women and lawyers...Good thing he's a kickass basketball coach.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Can they do that? Like officially and legally? Serious question. I have no idea.

I assume there's someone feeding info to the UT lawyers but I didn't think they would necessarily have official access to that info.

One of my family members was an Assistant DA here in Austin for 30+ years. UT does pretty much whatever they want. She says you wouldn't believe how much criminal player conduct never got out. UT keeps direct contact w the DA's office. Or, if it did get out, it would get watered down. In one case, a matter of armed robbery became a "fist fight." (Remember that one?)

UT probably did their own investigation, which is why they felt so comfortable with their decision. Beard and his lawyer suck. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Perry Minton is the name many very good lawyers in town say to call for a criminal case, in some cases without a second of hesitation.  Bad facts don’t make him a bad lawyer. And as 98% of us expected before the delays occurred Ut had beard by the nuts and they let him go as expected. Not a damn thing his criminal lawyer can really do about that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

One of my family members was an Assistant DA here in Austin for 30+ years. UT does pretty much whatever they want. She says you wouldn't believe how much criminal player conduct never got out. UT keeps direct contact w the DA's office. Or, if it did get out, it would get watered down. In one case, a matter of armed robbery became a "fist fight." (Remember that one?)

UT probably did their own investigation, which is why they felt so comfortable with their decision. Beard and his lawyer suck. 

Gotcha. So it's not official but it's how the world works? Makes sense to me.

• Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

If more information comes out and he was completely blameless factually instead of just in spin-land, I am going to be very upset. But this whole business of chastising him over having bad taste in women, to the point where he can be fired, I can't get behind that at all. Some of the most successful people in all industries (surgeons, professors, C-suiters, engineers, lawyers, whatever it is) have absolutely embarrassing home lives. Hell, half the reason some guys become workaholics is to spend less time at home with their toxic spouses.

Well pepper your angus, because everything from here on out is going to be a PR spin job to get Beard back on the sideline as soon as possible. When the case is dropped in a few weeks you are going to think Beard’s lawyer won the Super Bowl with the type of smoke he is going to blow up people’s asses. Prepare for lots of lawyer statements and image rehab tricks. None of it means he shouldn’t have been fired at Texas.

As a matter of fact, the spin job tactics they are about to deploy are targeted for the type of people just like you who think the exact thing you just posted.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I think these were the old days of Dodds, McCombs and Jamail. Patterson and subsequently CDC don't seem to have this going for them like the old guard did. I knew some wild shit that used to go down circa 2007-2010 that never made it out and police were involved. That's a much much different UT than today's. 

• Hook 'Em 5

15 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Gotcha. So it's not official but it's how the world works? Makes sense to me.

My former employer is a very wealthy and influential alumnus. He was a guy who would get a call from the university in the middle of the night to come make thing$ right. 

My guess is that UT covered their ass with their own personal investigation, with assistance from APD, and they saw and heard everything they needed.  

Good luck with a lawsuit, Beard. 

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

My former employer is a very wealthy and influential alumni. He was a guy who would get a call from the university in the middle of the night to come make thing$ right. 

My guess is that UT covered their ass with their own personal investigation, with assistance from APD, and they saw and heard everything they needed.  

Good luck with a lawsuit, Beard. 

Alumnus

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

I think these were the old days of Dodds, McCombs and Jamail. Patterson and subsequently CDC don't seem to have this going for them like the old guard did. I knew some wild shit that used to go down circa 2007-2010 that never made it out and police were involved. That's a much much different UT than today's. 

Do you remember who Charlie Strong's first meeting as coach was with when he first arrived in Austin? It was with APD. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Wow! Almost three whole years, on one Board! You must be an expert. 

image.gif.36516a22c1949aa706cdde9b89906cd3.gif

In my current capacity. Very rarely are there disagreements on any Board, particularly one that functions. Are you disputing this?

46 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

What is Minton's hourly rate?  He could have ran spell check and probably clocked a couple more grand in billing. 

• immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi
  • immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi