Alamo Bowl: Texas vs. Washington - 8pm on ESPN

Pancho

1 minute ago, jinx said:

Sark decided to let Brooks ride the pine and let Ewers play run and shoot football and completely abandoned the running game just like he did in every loss this year. He hasn’t learned anything. 

So we should have been running it down multiple scores in the second half? We had a drive in the first half where we ran three times and punted. It's hard to be three yards and a cloud of dust in the 21st century.

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

So we should have been running it down multiple scores in the second half? We had a drive in the first half where we ran three times and punted. It's hard to be three yards and a cloud of dust in the 21st century.

This. I don't think Robinson should've been the #1 back with Bjian/Roschon in civvies but I understood starting him as a thank you of sorts for his contribution. I thought Brooks should've gotten the majority of carries but at the end of the day, he had 18 yards rushing on six carries. It's not like we were gashing them in the run game. The only thing that worked was the short passing game, which we relied on. Again, the most important thing here was seeing if Ewers was fixable or not. He didn't look like he did in the first quarter of the Bama game but he also didn't look like the lost babe in the woods that he was against Oklahoma State either.

As far as the defense goes, Jett Bush played a significant amount last night. Soon enough, he -- and others like him -- will be bumped off the depth chart. Until then, we're not where we want to be on that side of the ball. But we got some dudes coming in next year and I'm looking forward to it.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Somewhere I read that KRob was third on the RB depth chart for whatever reason (I'm guessing experience), so he got the start and some extra carries as a result.

I'm positive to neutral on Sark, but I do think he has a stubbornness as to his predetermined "hierarchy" of players and resists deviating from it, as exemplified by refusing to give Card a shot and moving Brooks up the depth chart over the season, or for this game.

Lord knows, little RBs have given us fits over the years, so his size shouldn't be an automatic disqualifier.  But Brooks seems more effective as a straight up RB.

Tying this back to a theory I had earlier in the season, I feel like Sark can't quite believe his eyes when talent doesn't live up to its "billing," or maybe what he sees in practice.  I rather firmly believe that he was taken aback by the level of "functional" or "applied" talent he had on the roster when he first got here.

And, it is conceivable that he used KRob's status as a former Bama player as a proxy for his actual, functional ability as an RB.

Or maybe he was RB3 and Brooks RB4 simply because KRob added a dimension to the running game featuring BIjan and RoJo.  But when RB3 became RB1, clearly some adjustment in thinking was required that didn't seem to happen.  Or maybe it was to try to keep KRob on the roster.

24 minutes ago, jinx said:

Sark decided to let Brooks ride the pine and let Ewers play run and shoot football and completely abandoned the running game just like he did in every loss this year. He hasn’t learned anything. 

Meh. It's a bowl game. I can't get too worked up over playing an upperclassman over a freshman when the starters are out. 

Now, if this happens in Tuscaloosa . . . 

10 hours ago, dr99 said:

Roschon is the last guy in all of CFB I thought would not put the team first and play. He's not afraid of getting injured in the Senior Bowl though.

just spitballing, but I wonder if he had some type of injury.  IIR he was dinged in the Kansas game and was questionable going into the Baylor game.  He was his usual badass self vs. Baylor.  Maybe whatever injury he had in the Kansas game wasn't completely healed so he decided to rest it and not risk re-injury.  Yes, he can get hurt again in the Sr. Bowl - but less likely if he's fully healed.   Just a thought. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Everyone is trying to act like they understand these players opting out and doing what is in their best interests, whatever. For our best players to skip the game was selfish and having them standing there smiling on the sideline was ridiculous. Why were you there? To support the team? Bullshit. Get on with making your money, don't pretentiously stand around patting guys on the back like you give a shit, it's insulting, in fact it was kind of surreal. Let me tell you this since it appears no one around you is, skipping the game is not ok, the coaches and players will pretend it is, but of course it's not ok. 20 years ago none of those players would even acknoledge your presence, they would have told you to get the fuck off the feild. Hats off to the all the Washington players who finished out the season and actually did support their teamates. I always respected RJ and I think Bijan is amazing, but you guys have tarnished your record here and I predict you will regret this when you are old

I don't feel this sentiment as strongly as you do, but I did think it was silly for them to be on the sideline "supporting the team" and yucking it up up all smiles while their former teammates were getting their asses handed to them on the field.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Everyone is trying to act like they understand these players opting out and doing what is in their best interests, whatever. For our best players to skip the game was selfish and having them standing there smiling on the sideline was ridiculous. Why were you there? To support the team? Bullshit. Get on with making your money, don't pretentiously stand around patting guys on the back like you give a shit, it's insulting, in fact it was kind of surreal. Let me tell you this since it appears no one around you is, skipping the game is not ok, the coaches and players will pretend it is, but of course it's not ok. 20 years ago none of those players would even acknoledge your presence, they would have told you to get the fuck off the feild. Hats off to the all the Washington players who finished out the season and actually did support their teamates. I always respected RJ and I think Bijan is amazing, but you guys have tarnished your record here and I predict you will regret this when you are old

Counterpoint: it's OK.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Bored-Ape-Longhorn.jpg

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Banishing our future NFL players when they opt out isn’t a recipe for success. I want guys like Bijan and Roschon around the program long-term — recruiting and using their platforms to propel us forward. A.K.A. we need more alums like Quandre Diggs and less like DeShon Elliott…

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

It didn't bother me before the game that our two best RBs opted out.  I thought they both had good reason to in the context of the opt out era.  That said, actually seeing them on the sideline as it became clear we were likely losing irritated the fuck out of me.

I'd like to think that Bijan sat to give the other RBs the spot light in a game he thought Texas wins without him.  I'd like to think RJ sat to get healthier, but that if you had told him "Texas will lose if you don't play."  He would have.

And Texas does win, without both guys, if "1" catches fucking balls that hit him in the hands.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Banishing our future NFL players when they opt out isn’t a recipe for success. I want guys like Bijan and Roschon around the program long-term — recruiting and using their platforms to propel us forward. A.K.A. we need more alums like Quandre Diggs and less like DeShon Elliott…

Yea don’t banish the opt outs.

But I’d banish fucking worthy to the pine for a while.
  • Hook 'Em 3

As far as the defense goes, Jett Bush played a significant amount last night. Soon enough, he -- and others like him -- will be bumped off the depth chart. Until then, we're not where we want to be on that side of the ball. But we got some dudes coming in next year and I'm looking forward to it.

I don’t know when yall will ever learn. 2nd team guys generally serve a purpose. That is do your job. It’s not flash. It’s not make game changing plays. It is damn difficult to play minimal plays and do it at a high level. It’s an MLB not a designated pass rusher. But I get it y’all would rather see guys run fast out of the play. And in the Portal era, you may need more loyal guys with tempered expectations to serve well in practice but also do their job in limited roles. Of Bush’s 15 plays, he made 3 tackles at reasonably the depth that anyone else would have. On a per play basis, that tackle rate probably ranks top 5 in the conference on run plays and pass plays for this season.

We only had 7 QB pressures. None of which were 2nd team Dline men. The UW OLine spent more time at the 2nd level than any other team this season. The starting LBs had 5 solo tackles in the run game at an average of 6 yards per rush. They also were unblocked on the long TD run (played so poorly it probably wasn’t even a missed tackle) and missed a tackle on a 3rd and short.

Our coverage was actually decent, but the UW Oline won their matchup rather handily. In both the run and pass game. We’ve proven to be solid upfront this year so my guess is that UW is quite good. And they were prepared.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hozz said:

It didn't bother me before the game that our two best RBs opted out.  I thought they both had good reason to in the context of the opt out era.  That said, actually seeing them on the sideline as it became clear we were likely losing irritated the fuck out of me.

I'd like to think that Bijan sat to give the other RBs the spot light in a game he thought Texas wins without him.  I'd like to think RJ sat to get healthier, but that if you had told him "Texas will lose if you don't play."  He would have.

And Texas does win, without both guys, if "1" catches fucking balls that hit him in the hands.

Given the stakes involved, I don't fault Bijan and Rojo for opting out.

The run game struggled last night for several reasons and it wasn't for lack of talent. The OL wasn't blocking for chit is one reason and insisting on running KRob up the middle while said OL wasn't blocking for chit like he could ever be a feature back was another.

Brooks is the future and he should have gotten a lot more touches. KRob is a utility / change of pace back. He will never be more than that. His proper usage is sweeps, screen passes, wheel routes, etc., with maybe an occasional inside run if the OL is playing well (they weren't), but outside zone mo better.

Frankly, I'd like to have seen some Jaydon Blue last night too. I like KRob, but if the implication is he would leave because of not being featured, then so long, good luck, Brooks and Blue thank you very much.

Last night's overall team performance did not elevate Sark's resume. He is pulling in talent though. If he can fill positions of need in the portal, on balance, he's doing great on that front, but he needs to do a better job of prepping the team for games, game plans, personnel usage, making adjustments and game management.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I don't care that we didn't have Bijan or Ro. I don't care that Keilan started.  Glad he did. As most of us suspected he's not the guy. Now that thats out of the way, Brooks is. Also, Baxter up. That said I also don't care that we didn't run the rock more because WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH OUR PASSING GAME. Line up and pass it again, until we can throw and catch like we damn should. JFC!  We still need the practice. Its a fucking worthless bowl. UW was/is not a top 10 (15) team and we couldn't old barely  score on them. It was a glorified scrimmage where we looked like a bunch of fkn amateurs. We should have lit up the fkn scoreboard on that weak ass D. Damn it Sark, Evers, unWORTHY!! Get your shit together you fkn gimps!!!!!

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I don’t know when yall will ever learn. 2nd team guys generally serve a purpose. That is do your job. It’s not flash. It’s not make game changing plays. It is damn difficult to play minimal plays and do it at a high level. It’s an MLB not a designated pass rusher. But I get it y’all would rather see guys run fast out of the play. And in the Portal era, you may need more loyal guys with tempered expectations to serve well in practice but also do their job in limited roles. Of Bush’s 15 plays, he made 3 tackles at reasonably the depth that anyone else would have. On a per play basis, that tackle rate probably ranks top 5 in the conference on run plays and pass plays for this season.

We only had 7 QB pressures. None of which were 2nd team Dline men. The UW OLine spent more time at the 2nd level than any other team this season. The starting LBs had 5 solo tackles in the run game at an average of 6 yards per rush. They also were unblocked on the long TD run (played so poorly it probably wasn’t even a missed tackle) and missed a tackle on a 3rd and short.

Our coverage was actually decent, but the UW Oline won their matchup rather handily. In both the run and pass game. We’ve proven to be solid upfront this year so my guess is that UW is quite good. And they were prepared.

Did you miss the stat where they said Penix had been sacked once in 518 pass attempts this season coming into the game last night? And he threw 50-something passes without a sack against us. They move him around, he's elusive and he gets rid of the ball quickly. I don't think he's that great and his touch leaves a lot to be desired but UW won 11 games this year. And we had one of the 3-4 best players in the country sitting out last night. Hard to believe there are people that are devastated that we lost a glorified spring game to a team who had a better season than we did.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Angilau on the sideline was even worse.  The fucker is transferring to Oregon and is on our sideline for a bowl game

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

Did you miss the stat where they said Penix had been sacked once in 518 pass attempts this season coming into the game last night? And he threw 50-something passes without a sack against us. They move him around, he's elusive and he gets rid of the ball quickly. I don't think he's that great and his touch leaves a lot to be desired but UW won 11 games this year. And we had one of the 3-4 best players in the country sitting out last night. Hard to believe there are people that are devastated that we lost a glorified spring game to a team who had a better season than we did.

They hold like a 2008 Mike Leach team.
  • Hook 'Em 1

This was a nationally televised* (OK, cable) bowl game and some of y'all act like it was the orange-white scrimmage. When Texas plays a higher-ranked opponent in a bowl game that's practically next door to Austin, I expect to see a certain level of intensity and execution. Fuck Tom Herman but I bet his team wins this game.

And I agree with the poster above, it's not cool with me that team leaders just sit out the bowl game, regardless of their pro prospects. If a player is on scholarship for a season, I expect them to be available to play that full season including any bowl game (unless there is a legitimate reason such as an injury).

This was a winnable game for Texas and I'm pretty pissed about losing.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3