2023 Rain Thread

South Austin

My father had to briefly serve as a Master-at-Arms during his time in the U.S. Navy during the Cuban Missile Crisis.  I assume the blockade caused all kinds of personnel shitshows as he was a comms NCO by trade.  So he had to present a few miscreants to the Brig over the course of a few weeks.  I remember asking him at like 8 or 9 years old, "What's a Brig"?  And without a hint of humor, but out of a Zucker Brothers movie, he replied, "It's a jail on a Naval ship, but that's not important right now."  I still cry laughing whenever I think of that exchange.  

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It really has been shit.

It really is.  It overstates the rain percentage -- both daily, and for a given hour -- by a crapload.  Like it says in an hour, 70% chance of rain at my house.  Then, 30 minutes later, down to 20%, then right before the hour strikes, 0%.  Because there was never a 70% chance of rain at my house in the first place.

It's functionally useless for rain prediction.

23 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I miss Dark Sky.  Apple claims their app is just Dark Sky with a different name, but it has not been nearly as good.

32 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

My Apple weather app shows 50% chance almost every day on the 10 day, but in the precipitation window it says none expected over the next 10 days. Make up your mind, Ghost of Steve Jobs. 

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It really has been shit.

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It really is.  It overstates the rain percentage -- both daily, and for a given hour -- by a crapload.  Like it says in an hour, 70% chance of rain at my house.  Then, 30 minutes later, down to 20%, then right before the hour strikes, 0%.  Because there was never a 70% chance of rain at my house in the first place.

It's functionally useless for rain prediction.

y'all should check out Forecast Advisor for whatever is the best around here

https://www.forecastadvisor.com/Texas/Austin/78756/

image.thumb.png.af0d6b2384a4bdc29c008fa44c0d31c1.png

here is who they have as most accurate in 2022 for Austin:

image.thumb.png.9f82f8ca1155a2d1122538be097854e2.png

• Hook 'Em 5

It's KXAN app. I also like it because it shows rain and temps for the entire country if you scroll around the map. Did you know we are about 15 degrees hotter than Phoenix? Why the fuck do we all live here?

Wunderground is pretty decent. 

I usually do the 8-14 and 6-10 day forecasts from NOAA to get a general idea of what's coming, then do the 5-7 day precip forecasts for how much rain to expect, and then KXAN for exactly when to expect it.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/
https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/day1-7.shtml

Unfortunately, they all show real, real bad right now. This is like peak height of August shit in mid-June with no end in sight. Remember that nice spring we had? It's going out like the end of Terminator 2.

Terminator Thumbs Up GIF

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Scary in Cedar Park

Yep. Lots of hail. Thank goodness I don’t rely solely on the Apple app (really miss DarkSky but whatever) bc apple app still has no clue it’s hailing buckets of pea to marble size hail on top at my location. 

• Like 1