2023 Rain Thread

South Austin

1 hour ago, troph said:

Cloud to ground lightening in the lake Travis area is not a joke tonight it’s extreme and oh this just happened about .5 miles from our place as the crow flies:

IMG_9548.jpeg

IMG_9554.jpeg

IMG_9555.jpeg

Shit  didn’t realize modern houses could catch flame after lightning.  Isn’t the entire structure grounded now a days???

3 minutes ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Shit  didn’t realize modern houses could catch flame after lightning.  Isn’t the entire structure grounded now a days???

I don’t know but convos about lightening rods were taking place here after that.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Woodlands here.

That was one of the most intense storms I’ve ever witnessed.

Apparently there was a 97mph wind gust at IAH.

I’m down by 99/Hardy and people’s backyard trampoline and not so lightweight furniture have been thrown over fences and even into the streets. Rumors that tower at IAH was evacuated due to suspected small tornado. 

32 minutes ago, troph said:

I don’t know but convos about lightening rods were taking place here after that.

9 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

the foundation is grounded, but lightning protection is pretty scarce, at least in residential

Hmm  good to know.  
it seems at least it would be a good idea in multistory houses at the top of hills like this one appears to be 

26 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I’m seabrook/clear lake area. Did a tropical storm just roll in from the north? Was going to sit outside and enjoy it but the wind is crazy 

Hitting Galveston now.  Thunder galore 

I was on a client call and it was so effing loud and I said wow that’s scary. Later I find out from my wife and son who showed up first and called 911 that that scary sound was lightening around the corner incinerating a house. 

Was that on your street ? Or over off bee creek ? Heard there was in The Hills the other week that the same thing happened to.

29 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I’m down by 99/Hardy and people’s backyard trampoline and not so lightweight furniture have been thrown over fences and even into the streets. Rumors that tower at IAH was evacuated due to suspected small tornado. 

58 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Woodlands here.

Relative in Montgomery is claiming they had to have had a small tornado in the area - path smashed through the trees behind their place and all hell broke lose.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Relative in Montgomery is claiming they had to have had a small tornado in the area - path smashed through the trees behind their place and all hell broke lose.

Montgomery County? Surprised they didn't go with Bigfoot as their first story.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

What in the fuck is going this month in weather & climate?  I honestly don't know, I got a C- in Troy Kimmel's class.  

You know damn well what is happening. Yet people on this very site will say it’s just a normal texas summer. Gaia is exacting revenge. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Woodlands here.

It was Absolutley nuts. Lost my back fence. Just ripped it apart and this tree upended from the roots and sitting on my house . d45e1b70e768ace0746c193682c87da0.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6
  • Rage+1 2

Those are some shitty odds for a tornado to hit such a tiny (i.e. not sprawling) town out in the middle of the Big Empty. While even the loss of a few is tragic, for them to have lost multiple people is a real calamity in a community already struggling to retain residents.

• Like 1

That was the most intense thunderstorm I’ve ever witnessed. We’ve been without power since 8 last night and it’s not expected to be restored until 3 at best. This is from a Doppler station a few miles from my house. I’ve never seen blue on a wind speed indicator before.

56a2ce06d53f204d822562400d3c68a3.png

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

I don’t know about that, but anybody on a rise like that should definitely have extra rods even if they theoretically come pre-grounded. We’ve had several houses hit and catch fire around us

It was a really strange storm. I was watching it on the radar and the NWS had a severe warning just to the north of us, but no watch or warning for us at all. It wasn’t until the storm had been going over us for 10 minutes that a warning was issued for our area.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texasdago said:

One of our friends... lives two streets away... had a tree hit by a lightning bolt.  What's cool is he and two other neighbors caught it all on their cameras... pretty bad ass.  Flames and stuff!

Please share

I woke up (west Austin) at ~ 4:30 AM, checked the weather radar, and saw a big blob of rain about to hit just west of us.  Went back to sleep, woke up a couple of hours later, blob was gone, and LCRA Hydromet says we got exactly 0.00" of rain.  The thing just went south and apparently disappeared.

I will complain less than I otherwise would, because fires and tornadoes and hurricane force winds elsewhere, but still, forcefield.

12 hours ago, Horns99 said:

Was that on your street ? Or over off bee creek ? Heard there was in The Hills the other week that the same thing happened to.

On Lakehurst. Yes second in as many weeks.

Still smoldering this morning …

IMG_2216.jpeg

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Here is another radar wind image I found on a weather forum.

3ac078b0a9961e2df1df19fdca600379.png

I was out on the patio when the rain came it but didn't notice the winds being any more than normal when I went inside or when I went out to fire up the generator.  (Lost power for just 30 minutes).  Didn't see any trees down this morning when I walked the dog. (I just didn't notice it being that strong but don't doubt the readings...)

Edited by Grimas

Not bad for first day of summer. Early next week looks shitty but long term the death ridge appears to subside a bit and we get some legit rain chances creeping back in. Need an EPAC system to come in from the SW and feed us that pacific moisture.

spacer.png

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite
  • Hook 'Em 2

That was the most intense thunderstorm I’ve ever witnessed. We’ve been without power since 8 last night and it’s not expected to be restored until 3 at best. This is from a Doppler station a few miles from my house. I’ve never seen blue on a wind speed indicator before.

56a2ce06d53f204d822562400d3c68a3.png

Kprc stopped by my house today and did an interview with me. He said ours was one of the worst he saw. Winning?

At end he asked if I had any questions . I Wanted to ask if Daniella guzmans tits were real but thought that might be a deal killer.

News at 6!

Total damage up to 15k and that’s before the roof. 3070b74f34b799c132d76d6312948753.jpg
I don’t think the fence is gonna make it :(
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Hate said:

Here is another radar wind image I found on a weather forum.

3ac078b0a9961e2df1df19fdca600379.png

any idea where i can find something like this for historical data? want to see what we capped out last night gust wise here

Edited by NoName

1 hour ago, NoName said:

any idea where i can find something like this for historical data? want to see what we capped out last night gust wise here

To get this exact image, you would need RadarScope and their tier 2 data subscription. If you want to provide a location and a time, I can provide a screenshot as I have both.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I just did a trip through the neighborhood - bunch of pine needles on some branches in mine but I saw at least 4 houses with trees with >24" trunks sitting on houses about a mile west of me... (Woodlands)

86daecbda2600088473ae9aae36a5158.jpg
I am aware. So glad I upped my homeowners deductible to 5% this year.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

well we didn't need the relief from the blastfurnace over here, and it's been an exceptionally rainy spring apparently... but Denver area has been hammered for a couple of days. i swear it hailed for a straight hour last night. it was small where we are, pea/pebble size, but it went on forever!

i should have gotten a pic later in the evening, but this was fairly early on...the big pile is from us dumping what had collected on top of the sun shade...we had to go out there and use a big broom to do that five times! the pile was easily over a foot by the time it stopped, plus it covered everything else. it basically rained hail! lol

20230621_210120.thumb.jpg.af6958a8e281a96029eb3648a7979c70.jpg

tore the hell out of everything. seems like every day, if it rains at all, it's going to hail. and it's been raining practically every day for months.

spring is nuts around here! 😳

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

To get this exact image, you would need RadarScope and their tier 2 data subscription. If you want to provide a location and a time, I can provide a screenshot as I have both.

i have tier 1 data sub but not tier 2. maybe i should upgrade...i'll shoot you a PM if i decide not to! thanks!