NFL week 17 / Bills DB Damar Hamlin seriously injured, taken away via ambulance- MNF game suspended

shadow_operative2.0

48 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

The people in the studio saying nothing like this ... 

Chuck Hughes died on the field 

Darrel Stingley was hit by Jack Tatum and became a quadraplegic 

I think there’s a lot of stuff that happened pre-internet that most people have no clue about. 

My parents went to the TCU-Baylor game in Waco in 1971. They were sitting behind the TCU bench. At some point during the first quarter, TCU’s coach (former Longhorn assistant Jim Pittman) walked around behind the bench, had a massive heart attack, and died right there. 

The game continued, and TCU ultimately won. Crazy story…

https://amp.foxsports.com/stories/other/the-night-tcu-baylor-rivalry-met-tragedy

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Dr Phil WIth Hair said:

Sorry.  Stepped away for a sec.  You cannot transport him until he is stable enough to travel.  It could also mean he was stable and everything he needed was in the ambulance until his family could be located and brought to him.  Then you go to the L1 Trauma Center to further treatment.

Sounds like he's not stable if they already intubated him 🥺

Thanks for the response 

5 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Another doc 

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I forget his name, but weren't both of his parents also Drs?  I'm guessing if you're going to pick a place to collapse a Westlake game full of Drs is a good spot

Any youth football stadium has an AED. There is no question an NFL franchise had one readily available within seconds.  Cincy and Bills medical staffs probably jumped on it asap. 

6 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I’m not sure why there was a delay in postponing it. Probably discussion of a reschedule and exiting the crowd. Calm down.

I could be wrong but I feel like there could have been a plan to get back on the field from Goodell/NFL.

Then, the players and coaches were like, “nah, fuck you, we’re calling it.”

Then this lead to more waiting.

Edited by DaggerHorns
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Are you people seriously unable to read the last 5 words of Bayless tweet? Save the Karening. There were posters here trying to figure out the logistics of the situation 

Yes we did, he basically said what had no business being said at the time followed by a C.Y.A. just in case his initial thoughts were not OK to say at the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I think there’s a lot of stuff that happened pre-internet that most people have no clue about. 

My parents went to the TCU-Baylor game in Waco in 1971. They were sitting behind the TCU bench. At some point during the first quarter, TCU’s coach (former Longhorn assistant Jim Pittman) walked around behind the bench, had a massive heart attack, and died right there. 

The game continued, and TCU ultimately won. Crazy story…

https://amp.foxsports.com/stories/other/the-night-tcu-baylor-rivalry-met-tragedy

The Texas-TCU game in 1974 was less than a month after what happened to Kent Waldrep. Though I was born after WWII.

1 minute ago, DaggerHorns said:

I could be wrong but I feel like there could have been a plan to get back on the field from Goodell/NFL.

I think that's exactly what happened.  The head coaches came together on field a second time, and seemed to agree it was time to head to the locker rooms.  This was after the 5-minute "get ready" signal.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Unsubstantiated feelings are leading to emotional jimmyjazz conclusions. None of us know what was going on. 

3 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Yes we did, he basically said what had no business being said at the time followed by a C.Y.A. just in case his initial thoughts were not OK to say at the time.

Fuck Skip Bayless.

However, I didn’t read that tweet the same as you did. He addressed all the issues and wrapped up by pointing out that it’s irrelevant given the circumstances.

Edited by lilMAC25

4 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Jeremy Renner got a Best actor nomination for Hurt Locker. I don’t have a problem with people calling him that. Who’s his character on avengers, Hawkeye?

Hurt Locker is the best movie he's been in and his best performance. But most people haven't seen it. 

Referring to him as "hurt locker guy" 15 years later is funny. 

I could be wrong but I feel like ther could have been a plan to get back on the field from Goodell/NFL.

Disagree.   There are policies that cover injuries, and return to play after injuries.  Refs train to know the rules and procedures and what to do though unfortunately in the heat of the moment, not all are capable of applying a more rational, reasonable standard in the seconds where millions are watching.

NFL coaches are (largely) very smart sons of bitches and exceptional in crisis situations.  I'm not surprised Taylor and McDermott were the two to take control of the situation.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Are you people seriously unable to read the last 5 words of Bayless tweet? Save the Karening. There were posters here trying to figure out the logistics of the situation 

I took 12 yo boys home from hoops practice. One of them made the same point Bayless tried to make simply because he wanted to see the game. The other 3 boys jumped his ass because they knew any talk of seedings, etc were irrelevant. 12 year olds knew. In short, shut the fuck up. 

5 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Sounds like he's not stable if they already intubated him 🥺

Thanks for the response 

that's not what stable means. you can be intubated and stable. you can be critically ill and stable, although it is generally advised that medical personnel refrain from using "stable" to describe a condition. 

in the most generous sense, stable just refers to the steadiness of vital signs. you can have vital signs that are out of normal range, but would still be considered stable because they aren't changing or fluctuating rapidly.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Any youth football stadium has an AED. There is no question an NFL franchise had one readily available within seconds.  Cincy and Bills medical staffs probably jumped on it asap. 

It's part of our coaches' gear for any highschool sports event. There's also one at every stadium and gym these days. Was more trying to make a joke about the number of doctors that would be in attendance at a Westlake game 

2 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

This guy claims to be Hamlin's friend and marketing representative.

Are his vitals normal because of the intubation and pressors (meds to regulate blood pressure)?  Or did they normalize on their own?  If they are still breathing for him, my experience tells me it is the former.  But, I have no clue and everything is just speculation.....and I would LOVE to be wrong.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

I took 12 yo boys home from hoops practice. One of them made the same point Bayless tried to make simply because he wanted to see the game. The other 3 boys jumped his ass because they knew any talk of seedings, etc were irrelevant. 12 year olds knew. In short, shut the fuck up. 

SO emotional.

2 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

NFL coaches are (largely) very smart sons of bitches and exceptional in crisis situations.  I'm not surprised Taylor and McDermott were the two to take control of the situation.

Well Taylor is kind of a dumbass but he's a prolific leader of men.

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ve had to use it before and I haven’t taken a refresher course in 25 years.  Chest compressions are no longer recommended?  I recall reading that somewhere years ago. 

Probably confusing that with mouth to mouth. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, naija said:

that's not what stable means. you can be intubated and stable. you can be critically ill and stable, although it is generally advised that medical personnel refrain from using "stable" to describe a condition. 

in the most generous sense, stable just refers to the steadiness of vital signs. you can have vital signs that are out of normal range, but would still be considered stable because they aren't changing or fluctuating rapidly.

Remind everyone of your specialty again? 

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ve had to use it before and I haven’t taken a refresher course in 25 years.  Chest compressions are no longer recommended?  I recall reading that somewhere years ago. 

No -- chest compressions are critical. It's the breathing into the person that they said you could hold off on somewhat (lots of people don't want to do that part) but my understanding is you really should.

• Hook 'Em 3