the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

They all know 2024 is going to be a shit tsunami and that’s why so few want the Speaker job.  

Anybody who takes the Speaker's job is going to spend the next year being hammered by Trump and Gym and Matt for not using Congress to help Trump in his legal woes.

Nobody wants that when they have to worry about their own election.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Anybody who takes the Speaker's job is going to spend the next year being hammered by Trump and Gym and Matt for not using Congress to help Trump in his legal woes.

Nobody wants that when they have to worry about their own election.

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer group.

• Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, locodos said:

I feel like a decent portion of this thread is wishcasting.  The dangerous and deranged folks are not going to just slink away.  They're going to be a problem.  You know the assholes who claim to want small government, but say that they need to "bleed the beast" by taking as much public money as they can figure out how to scam.  The same folks who post 
"at some point good men will have to do bad things"   

Those traitorous assholes are a big problem and there is a whole industry set up to monetize and normalize them.

I agree with the sentiment that they aren't "going away." 

But make no mistake they are doing serious damage to their brand by shanking each other out in the open like this.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, The Dog said:

I agree with the sentiment that they aren't "going away." 

But make no mistake they are doing serious damage to their brand by shanking each other out in the open like this.

I'm talking about the boys in Eastern Washington St, Idaho, etc...  They aren't watching CSPAN.  Or TV at all.

Multiple smart people on this thread have argued that the Democrats should just stand by and watch the shit show, believing that it’s damaging the republican party. I just don’t agree.

The Democrats had an opportunity to help elect a speaker who’s only mostly a moron. They should have jumped at the opportunity to help him get over the hump. Things are going to get dangerous from here on out. Trump gains power from this shit show. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Multiple smart people on this thread have argued that the Democrats should just stand by and watch the shit show, believing that it’s damaging the republican party. I just don’t agree.

The Democrats had an opportunity to help elect a speaker who’s only mostly a moron. They should have jumped at the opportunity to help him get over the hump. Things are going to get dangerous from here on out. Trump gains power from this shit show. 

There was never an official vote for Emmer, probably for this very reason.  

21 hours ago, Bullneck said:

This is a stupid post.  

I fully realize this is largely the GOP’s doing, and the term “both sides” is too loaded to use at this point, so I retract that - but seriously, the podcast episode  covers a lot of the background behind deficit spending and the politics around it. As a history buff it was really interesting and didn’t push into false-equivalency territory - apologies if I made it sound that way. 

11 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

que?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It's pretty much game theory to me - a twist on prisoners' dilemma. Yeah, the best outcome for all is to cooperate, but Dems can't trust GOP to keep their word if they supported McCarthy or others.  So it's absolutely rational, and the right decision without reliable cooperation, to vote for Jeffries as a block and let the GOP figure it out.  Because whatever the outcome comes from that decision, it's better than getting shivved by the Republicans after trying to help the less crazy wing of their party out.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

It's pretty much game theory to me - a twist on prisoners' dilemma. Yeah, the best outcome for all is to cooperate, but Dems can't trust GOP to keep their word if they supported McCarthy or others.  So it's absolutely rational, and the right decision without reliable cooperation, to vote for Jeffries as a block and let the GOP figure it out.  Because whatever the outcome comes from that decision, it's better than getting shivved by the Republicans after trying to help the less crazy wing of their party out.  

The key question none of us know the answer to is whether there have been discussions and whether there was a potential deal there or not that the Dems turned down. It is difficult to speculate without knowing the answer, but IF they are just sitting back and not working options in private with moderates, then I believe that is a mistake. Helping a moderate to get back in control helps advance bipartisan legislation. 

• Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I read stuff like this and I think to myself about how insanely brainwashed you have to be to believe that. Millions of these rubes littered from coast-to-coast really believe this. I almost wish Biden would just come out and say I’m handing everyone’s SSI checks that believe this to a deserving undocumented migrant instead. 

He should put a huge Joseph R. Biden signature on the checks.

• Hook 'Em 3

50 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

1) Of whom are you speaking?

2) Why would we help elect someone like that?

3) Do you not believe the failure of the GQP to elect a speaker will result in a coalition government with a different set of House rules (MTV) and more sensible legislation than what a mostly moron might do?

4) Trump is running out of runway.  He'll be a non-factor this time next year.  

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The key question none of us know the answer to is whether there have been discussions and whether there was a potential deal there or not that the Dems turned down. It is difficult to speculate without knowing the answer, but IF they are just sitting back and not working options in private with moderates, then I believe that is a mistake. Helping a moderate to get back in control helps advance bipartisan legislation. 

Whether or not there have been discussions doesn’t matter.  Biden thought he had a deal with McCarthy and McCarthy backed out.  Any promises of cooperation can’t be trusted so it’s rational to then not help. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, locodos said:

I feel like a decent portion of this thread is wishcasting.  The dangerous and deranged folks are not going to just slink away.  They're going to be a problem.  You know the assholes who claim to want small government, but say that they need to "bleed the beast" by taking as much public money as they can figure out how to scam.  The same folks who post 
"at some point good men will have to do bad things"   

Counterpoint: They couldn't get their picks over the hump last week - Gym was their standard bearer, and even with a public vote, there were enough who wouldn't support him. The moment it went to secret ballot, it was clear that a huge chunk of the House GOP hates him.

1 hour ago, locodos said:

I'm talking about the boys in Eastern Washington St, Idaho, etc...  They aren't watching CSPAN.  Or TV at all.

But they will also never accept anybody but an election-denying MAGAt, and a large enough chunk of the House GOP has shown they don't want that.  

Which is why we have this stalemate.

Wishcasting in this instance, would be the the hardcore MAGA Republicans (Gym, Matt, Boebert, etc.) are too afraid of sending Emmer or somebody considered a moderate/RINO by Trump/Gym/Matt to a floor vote, for fears that the Dems will put him or her over the top after having arranged a deal with him/her.  So the Republicans will not be sending anybody to a full floor vote until things get much worse.