the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

I know- was just posting Kinzinger’s take.

In Kinzinger's defense, at least it's the proper framing.

Republicans theoretically have the majority. If they cannot chose a Speaker and govern, it is on THEM to approach the Democrats and offer something that seriously moves the needle for Dems, WITH guarantees that make it virtually impossible for the Republicans to lie and back out of, which they would otherwise 100% attempt to do. 

Which brings us back to the same place. The only thing approaching impossible for Republican reps to back out of is formally switching parties. 

Based on repeated Republican lies, backstabbing and ratfuckery, Democrats would be colossally stupid to give anyone still calling themselves Republican any benefit of the doubt. 

• Hook 'Em 7

A third party has emerged. This isn't how I expected it to happen. 

Back in the day, when websites likr this were strongly moderated, I posted that our congress would one day look like British parliament, with factions and fights and pure stupidity and not much getting done, but lots of people being loud for their own benefit. 

So, now that the republican party is eating it's own face, I suspect there will be more breakdowns and factions soon.

As someone who believes most politics is self serving more than public serving, I find this whole thing interesting... Donald Trump has destroyed the republican party, and I think it was intentional...but he's even screwed this up, too. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

That AEI clip above of Mike Johnson.  That's Arthur Brooks on the panel with him, former head of AEI.  He was at UT a couple of weeks ago.  He said in no uncertain terms that Mike Johnson would be put forth as the GOP's pick for Speaker and that his past would come back to haunt him.  I had no fucking idea who Mike Johnson is/was, and still really don't.  But Arthur and AEI have make or break powers beyond my imagination because of the money they raise around policy, not politicians.  But as usual, Arthur was right.  And Mike is fucked as well.  this is gonna go around and around for awhile it seems...

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

More relevant as of late, the Rs can’t even get someone to the floor to vote on. Literally nothing the Dems can do, even if they wanted to. 

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

As was said pages ago, they believe cutting a deal with Dems is cutting a deal with their sworn enemies. They would rather burn it all down. 

Yep.  They won't let a moderate get near the floor for a vote, because he/she might cut a deal with some Dems and sideline Gym/Matt.

27 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Been wrong before, but reading the tea leaves I think Johnson might be the guy. Which sucks.

He's said good things about Pelosi and the Democrats.  Gym and Matt will make sure he doesn't get it.

27 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Been wrong before, but reading the tea leaves I think Johnson might be the guy. Which sucks.

Don't fret. I'm sure Gaetz or another GQP fucktard will figure out a reason to bring a motion to vacate within a week or two. 

40 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

It really sucks - seems he hates Ukraine, was on Trump's impeachment defense team, considers Gym to be his mentor, voted against certifying Biden's win, wants charges brought against Biden.

But he said nice things about Pelosi, so he's finished.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, immamac said:

What if we crowdsourced a candidate for this and did it as a PAC or something lol. We can choose anyone in the country to do it, why not get everyone behind someone from the outside - this could be our breakout from NIL hahaha

i nominate nicole

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

A "Christian" that supports an adultering, lying, vulgar POS?

Sure Jan.

11 hours ago, Zonahorn said:

Hearing somebody say, “I’m a man/women of faith and it guides me” is always a giant red flag

Yup. He’s along for the ride on being a Christian, just like he’s on the ride for being about Trump. None of his convictions are real. 

10 hours ago, Zonahorn said:

The GQP has offered nothing to Democrats. There is nothing to negotiate or be bipartisan over.

Unrelated aside, how is the political climate in Arizona looking for 2024

20 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yup. He’s along for the ride on being a Christian, just like he’s on the ride for being about Trump. None of his convictions are real. 

Unrelated aside, how is the political climate in Arizona looking for 2024

The epitome of “anonymous Republican/source shits on Trump or the base”

Things are looking pretty good here, the Republicans are still too insane to win a general 

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

At this point, this might just be like Brexit. You have to sit in the shittier, completely unnecessary world of consequences for years until people realize who was responsible and punishes them accordingly. 

Also notable is that both brexit and this shit were heavily underwritten by russian propaganda and disinformation absolutely dissolving the idea of objective truth and a common set of facts. It's the same intellectually disengaged and rhetorical grievance filled shitty arguments both here and in the UK. 

It's an absolute coup of cultural victory for russia to so successfully export their poison abroad. I wish it weren't so predictable that the Republicans would greedily drink from that cup in hopes of snatching power. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Drool 1

At this point, this might just be like Brexit. You have to sit in the shittier, completely unnecessary world of consequences for years until people realize who was responsible and punishes them accordingly. 

I’ve been waiting a long time for that. But it seems things keep getting shittier and the people who need to realize never do.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Well the good news is unlike the Brexit folks, our MAGA folks are fatter and likely to die sooner with a worse health care system.  So we got that going for us, which is nice.  

It's why they're so desperate to overhaul schooling, books, and culture wars involving children.  The last gasp of a dying way of life is upon them and they want to pass the baton but don't know how.  Rewriting history and banning drag shows just leaves even the dumbest of our children like, "Wait, what?  I wanna read the cool dragon books my friends do and not be creeped out by our vice principal who is always asking to take pictures of us to show to Jesus."  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If Mike Johnson cannot get 217, then no one can.  He is the ideal, believes nothing, party over country Trumpublican bullshit artist.  I pray he fails but a late Trump endorsement could end this I fear. 

Yeah, a Trump endorsement really helped Gym. 

He had a handful of present votes in his roll call and 20 absences.  They still haven't taken anyone to the floor with 217 confirmed votes. 

Just now, Js1 said:

Yeah, a Trump endorsement really helped Gym. 

He had a handful of present votes in his roll call and 20 absences.  They still haven't taken anyone to the floor with 217 confirmed votes. 

Mike Johnson isn’t Gym Jordan.  Johnson straddles the party much better. He’s low key enough to pull it off sadly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If Mike Johnson cannot get 217, then no one can.  He is the ideal, believes nothing, party over country Trumpublican bullshit artist.  I pray he fails but a late Trump endorsement could end this I fear. 

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Mike Johnson isn’t Gym Jordan.  Johnson straddles the party much better. He’s low key enough to pull it off sadly. 

Trump endorse Gym and Gym made sure everybody knew he'd do what Trump wanted.

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

On the bright side, Johnson could work with democrats and get away with it. 

He's pro-Russian, so I don't see it going well.

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

He had some present votes and 20 people absent - it was around 25 total.  At no point did he come out to say he spoke to those 20 missing members and got assurances of their votes.  He gave the dreaded "we are confident we will have the votes" 

As we've seen over and over, this party cannot count votes to save their lives.  He may pull it off, but "confidence" they "will"  have the votes versus actually having the votes are two different things.

• Hook 'Em 1