the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

7 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Kevin has spent years degrading himself in order to condition for this kind of humiliation. It's like a version of shame cross training. He's now impervious to embarrassment. I respect him for it. He now has the power to lay on his back on the house floor and light his farts while the next round of votes are tallied. That's how powerful he has become. 

Please tag me if he does so. I will log in to my carrier to see it. 

44 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

random house gop member gets up and talks shit about democrats.

twitter : i wonder when the dems will start negotiating to get this done.

Simple negotiation for the Democrats: Rs abstain so that Jeffries wins. Ds will let Moderate R A,B,C lead committee x,y,z.

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

They'd never make it to the general.  A vote for Jeffries would guarantee that they lose in a primary.

Unless those people switch parties.  A pitch could be made that they don't want their legacy to be tied to this shitheel party, and they'll have 2 years (and Dem money) to convince the voters to keep them in place with the new letter beside their name.  

5 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

They'd never make it to the general.  A vote for Jeffries would guarantee that they lose in a primary.

Which would like ensure D's take back most of those seats.  It's hard for us to grasp in Texas, but there are still moderately drawn, moderately voting districts across a fruited plain where a moderate Democrat beats a MAGA Republican 4 times outta 5.  

27 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

if there are no presents, it's 5 (222 -> 217).  if that one woman (r) keeps voting present, then it's 433 total which means 217 takes it, which means he would have to lose 6.  of course if the present is an r (like it has been), then it's 5 additional besides her (222 -> 216).

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The HFC is everything the GOP says about The Squad. 

Too extreme, won’t compromise, can’t govern, doesn’t negotiate in good faith. Absolute children masquerading as grown adults 

I believe the phrase you're looking for is "every accusation is a confession."

I really hope the Dems are working behind the scenes to get some moderate R's to vote for Hakeem as mentioned in this thread, and also, getting a few more to vote 'present' thereby lessening the number needed.  Instead of just sitting on the sidelines with popcorn and beer and whatever.  But...it's still the Democratic Party...sigh.

4 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

I really hope the Dems are working behind the scenes to get some moderate R's to vote for Hakeem as mentioned in this thread, and also, getting a few more to vote 'present' thereby lessening the number needed.  Instead of just sitting on the sidelines with popcorn and beer and whatever.  But...it's still the Democratic Party...sigh.

there are no moderate R's

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

A49531B0-157B-495A-AD55-72E9CE7C3CAC.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

That’s not realistic and it’s dumb to place fault with Dems anywhere in this clown show.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

It is truly ironic when current-day Republicans claim they are the party of Frederick Douglass and reconstruction.

Well they sold out Reconstruction to get the Presidency in 1876. Seems kind of odd to demand goodwill for a policy voluntarily abandoned almost 150 years ago.

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

the best part of this is the outcome is essentially decided by vote 60, but the poor clerk still has to read off the remaining 370 names just so we can get to the exact same result as the last five votes.

For once, I'd like Pence to get in there and stop the reading of the votes.  It's pointless.  It's a formality.  Oh the irony for your handpicked guy, Donald.  

5 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

No that's not going to happen. Why would they want to vote present? Just keep voting for Jefferies. 

The republicans have to fight their civil war and the Democrats need to be adding fuel to that fire. Right now is just the beginning, any talk to republicans right now needs to be to the majority side about moving back towards the middle to keep the most radicals from obstructing down the line. A sort of "they won't let you get anything done and you know it. So when the time comes meet us and we'll get things done without them". That needs to be the message. 

For now there's zero chance the small maga minority gets anyone they want to be speaker. McCarthy's play is to keep failing, step aside, or call for plurality winner to force the magas to vote for him or watch Jefferies win. Which would drive a deeper wedge between them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Interesting that they only adjourned for a few hours. They must think they can come up with some sort of agreement. It would be even more embarrassing if they came back tonight and nothing changed. Maybe the dems wouldn't give them until tomorrow. 

11 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

That is insane. There are no Republicans moderate enough to basically be Democrats. And Hakeem couldn't do shit without a majority, it would have to be a coalition. So you essentially would need to convince some Republicans to essentially leave the Republican Party for two years of a few committee memberships.

Just now, Mo Horn said:

Interesting that they only adjourned for a few hours. They must think they can come up with some sort of agreement. It would be even more embarrassing if they came back tonight and nothing changed. Maybe the dems wouldn't give them until tomorrow. 

If they couldn't do anything last night I am not sure what they think they can do this afternoon.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

No that's not going to happen. Why would they want to vote present? Just keep voting for Jefferies. 

The republicans have to fight their civil war and the Democrats need to be adding fuel to that fire. Right now is just the beginning, any talk to republicans right now needs to be to the majority side about moving back towards the middle to keep the most radicals from obstructing down the line. A sort of "they won't let you get anything done and you know it. So when the time comes meet us and we'll get things done without them". That needs to be the message. 

For now there's zero chance the small maga minority gets anyone they want to be speaker. McCarthy's play is to keep failing, step aside, or call for plurality winner to force the magas to vote for him or watch Jefferies win. Which would drive a deeper wedge between them. 

The magas are better off allowing Jeffries to win than dealing with McCarthy at this point. He's not going to forget this embarrassment. Plus, they will always have enough votes to recall Jeffries. 

12 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

They wouldn’t vote for Jeffries. That’s a nonstarter. It would take Democrats voting for a Republican candidate with very high personal credibility, a rules package that amounts to power sharing, and it would be Democrats that vote for them, with enough Republicans “voting present” to make it stick.

HIghly, highly, unlikely, but apparently Justin Amash was outside House Chambers trying to gin up interest this afternoon. 

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

If they couldn't do anything last night I am not sure what they think they can do this afternoon.

Not sure either, but no reason to come back until tomorrow, when they have to, unless they think they can come up with a deal. Or as I said, the dems wanted to make them come back tonight and wouldn't vote for an adjournment for the day. Or, the gop is just wandering in the dark, which may be more accurate. 

1 minute ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

The magas are better off allowing Jeffries to win than dealing with McCarthy at this point. He's not going to forget this embarrassment. Plus, they will always have enough votes to recall Jeffries. 

Which would be nuts as it just puts them right back where they are now. Just looking even dumber than they do. Just the fact that a Democrat would be speaker even for a minute in a republican led house would be the utmost of hilarity and embarrassment. 

There's no play for McCarthy. He offered the moon and they told him yes then when the vote came they stuffed it up his ass. This is what happens when you play Monopoly with children. No one wins and it just devolves into shit. 

12 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That’s how all reporters should address him. “Mr. Santos, if that is your real name...”

I read that in the voice of "the Torch" in "Top Secret"............'How do we know you're not really Mel Torme'?

• Haha 2