the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

52 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

And half the country isn't even aware that any of this is happening.

That's how fucked up our politics and "news media" are right now.

It's amazing.

I gotta say, I was pretty checked out for the week after Christmas and didn’t pay attention to much. It was kinda nice. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

The Congressional Leadership Fund agrees with the Club for Growth not to play in open-seat primaries.  @Bateshorn can give more color here, but I think the general feel is that the CLF favors more electable (read: moderate) candidates.  This is a big win for the Never Kevins.  But it's probably an even bigger win for Democrats, who are now going to get even more loony MAGA House candidates running in open seats.

This alone could be enough to swing the House back to the Democrats in 2024.

The Office Yes GIF

On a more micro level: McCarthy finally got a W. Granted, it’s on a motion to adjourn and it was thin AF, but he won a vote.  That’s something, even if it’s thin gruel, in the House. I’m hearing rumors he may have to agree to open rules on legislation, which is just chaos grenades, and to @Ghost of LL point, helps the Dems more than anything, because they can attach messaging votes to almost anything. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

Isn’t McCarthy’s only play here to take a vote to move to a plurality for Speaker?

If the Ds voted yes, this would likely force some of the dissenters to back him in that vote.

He’s not going to move any of the original 19 unless their votes actually matter.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Isn’t McCarthy’s only play here to take a vote to move to a plurality for Speaker?

If the Ds voted yes, this would likely force some of the dissenters to back him in that vote.

He’s not going to move any of the original 19 unless their votes actually matter.

he's certainly not going to move 16/20 without something major happening.

there are at least 5 hardline never-kevins and a vacate rule floating allowing a 5 vote removal.  coincidence?

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If McCarthy does the plurality thing and it passes, and they are forced to vote for him, wouldn’t the first thing to happen afterwards is 5 of them put him up for recall and start the carousel up again?

I think he doesn’t present the agreed upon rules package. They didn’t originally vote for him so why should he honor that deal.

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

I'd wager it's less than half that know about it and out of the 40ish% that do know there's another sizable portion that have no idea what is happening just that it is happening. 

I'd wager that half this country has never heard of the "Speaker of the House."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, Satchel said:

If/when McCarthy wins, looks like we’ll see Gaetz and Boebert serving on the kitty litter committee.

How many of the 20 need to cave? 16? They can’t give in after this show. They will end up forcing someone other than McCarthy in and planting their flag that they won’t fall in line on any vote. Debt ceiling. Military funding. Nothing. 

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

How many of the 20 need to cave? 16? They can’t give in after this show. They will end up forcing someone other than McCarthy in and planting their flag that they won’t fall in line on any vote. Debt ceiling. Military funding. Nothing. 

That’s shit they are eager to not get in line for to start…threatening them with a good time. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Psssst.....they don't know what they are doing.

They invited insane, shit-flinging monkeys into their house (the HFC).  The monkeys won't leave, and the rest of the party has no way to MAKE them leave.  So, they are stuck in a house with insane, shit-flinging monkeys who have no inclination to stop their insane shit-flinging, and there's no way to stop them.  In that situation, there's really nothing you CAN do.  You created this mess.  You are now stuck in it for as long as the crazy shit-flingers decide you'll be stuck in it.  Could it be another day?  Week?  Year?  It's all up to them.....who YOU gave all the power to.

The GQP is getting covered with layer upon layer of flung shit, and it is entirely of their own making.

I swear to god, if the Dems do ANYTHING to relieve the GQP of its plight, I will kick every one of them in the nuts/ovaries.

I'm serious -- the only play the GOP has now is to walk in and motion for a plurality-wins vote.  

1.  If the shit-flinging monkeys vote for Donalds, they destroy the GOP.  But it's pretty clear they're going to destroy it eventually anyways. 

or

2.  If the shit-flinging monkeys vote for McCarthy, the GOP has the House, McCarthy has the gavel, and he also has the shit-flinging monkeys under his boot and can grind them into dust if he wants.  

lulz. McCarthy is just getting wrecked. the pièce de résistance will be Trump taking a shit all over him after all the ball and shaft work Kevin delivered the last 6 years. He'll probably come right out and say it...."Now Scalise knows how to properly work a shaft, you've never seen such a patriotic dick sucker.  that Keith loser doesnt even swallow"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

So it’s going to be Scalise, right?

Predicting anything at this point is like betting on college teams in overtime: it’s all kickers and 2 point conversions. Having said that, if McCarthy can’t lock it up tonight, at some point a main-ish stream member is going to break, and then somebody will nominate Scalise.  They may have to move to plurality to do it, but if I had to pick an alternative, it would be him. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm increasingly convinced that she's just insane.

The ultimate Karen 

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Well, she was in an actual real life cult and she willingly fucks Clarence Thomas soooooo

giphy.gif

They don't have sex. I doubt they even see each other naked. They are a couple of convenience and political power.  

52 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

I think they are in burn it down mode, and would happily support another candidate, even if it meant the Ds win, because they are at the point where they don't give a fuck about the GOP, they give a fuck about the HFC.

None of these 19-20 are running for a nationwide or even statewide election, and all of them will easily get reelected next year.  They think they may not have much to lose at this point, because they will come out saying they weren't sellout RINOs and weren't going to support the leftist agenda that McCarthy and his supporters are pushing.

Some of these people are known to sympathize with Qanon, I would not put anything past them at this point.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Predicting anything at this point is like betting on college teams in overtime: it’s all kickers and 2 point conversions. Having said that, if McCarthy can’t lock it up tonight, at some point a main-ish stream member is going to break, and then somebody will nominate Scalise.  They may have to move to plurality to do it, but if I had to pick an alternative, it would be him. 

I’ll bet it all on them coming out of this looking like complete fucking morons, no matter the outcome.  And I love every minute of it.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1