CFP National Championship Game: #1 Georgia vs #3 TCU.

FartingDreamer

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Were you crying softly as you typed this? He was correct that TCU doesn't draw viewers, but you're correct it was largely about the fact that they got their faces kicked in and looked worse than any other team that has ever played in a national championship game. 

Then you wrote a paragraph trying to convince yourself that everyone else is envious of TCU's season where they didn't win any championships and were humiliated in front of everyone even though that has nothing to do with the post you were responding to. 

This is on par with the time you argued that a 70% (at best) full stadium was actually full for the Iowa State at TCU game even though there was plenty of actual footage available showing you were straight up lying. We get it, you love TCU.

Yes, I do love TCU.

Yes, the CFP final game was brutal. I was wrong about every aspect of it. UGA is heads and shoulders above TCU, and would win at least 9 out of 10 times if they played a 10-game series. I think the CFP game was worst case for TCU and best case for UGA, but I don’t think TCU is on UGA’s level. 

And yes, every other CFP program except for UGA would trade its season for TCUs. TCU had a great season, fueled by a combination of upper class talent, a few blue-chippers, and a number of lucky breaks. What’s wrong with that?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Secrant:

Coincidence? In the 2020 presidential election the states of Texas, Ohio, and Alabama

Posted on 1/10/23 at 11:07 am
up vote10down vote128
bkm1.png
All voted for trump  

Georgia voted for Biden  

Since then, Georgia has won back-to-back national titles, beating the life out of TCU (Texas), Ohio State (Ohio), and Alabama (Alabama). In that order. 

Coincidence? 

Nope 

Water seeks its own levels and winners resonate with winners. 

Georgia keeps winning and so does Joe Biden! 

hmmm.

Huh. Thanks for sharing a brain dead post from brain dead people. Why don’t you keep that shit to the cloak room

13 minutes ago, nnm said:

Yes, I do love TCU.

Yes, the CFP final game was brutal. I was wrong about every aspect of it. UGA is heads and shoulders above TCU, and would win at least 9 out of 10 times if they played a 10-game series. I think the CFP game was worst case for TCU and best case for UGA, but I don’t think TCU is on UGA’s level. 

And yes, every other CFP program except for UGA would trade its season for TCUs. TCU had a great season, fueled by a combination of upper class talent, a few blue-chippers, and a number of lucky breaks. What’s wrong with that?

Give me at least a conference title over what happened to TCU. Banners hang forever. TCU has absolutely nothing to show for this year. 

Also if UGA & TCU played 10 times Georgia would win 13. That’s how much better they are.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Give me at least a conference title over what happened to TCU. Banners hang forever. TCU has absolutely nothing to show for this year. 

Also if UGA & TCU played 10 times Georgia would win 13. That’s how much better they are.

You don't know many TCU alums do you?  They will talk about this forever.    They will also put up a banner at the stadium about their 2nd place finish. 

• Haha 2

On 1/9/2023 at 9:33 PM, Sawbonz said:

Vandy is such an outlier it carries all the water for that conference. Look at acceptance rates and sat avg without vandy factored in. A&M is their 3rd best school. Gtfo

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/clarke-county/more-freshmen-want-ugas-winning-streak-application-numbers-spike/VVCMRJEZFVBFZOBFZJULQVSWAA/
UGA has gotten almost 40,000 freshman applications. It’s a relatively hard school to get in for above average students from suburban school districts. It used to be a lot easier 

the only thing i can think about every time i see this thread is just how utterly fucking incompetent one would have to be to play tcu at home and:
1) score 3 offensive points;
2) have 199 total offensive yards;
3) have one of the best players in college football rush for 29 yards on 12 carries;
4) go 1 of 13 on third down.
i am genuinely incapable of even conceptualizing that.  we are clearly not georgia and don't offer the same l.o.s. matchups that they did.  their qb has been in college for 74 years and our's should be a true freshman.  but holy christ that was such a humiliating failure of a game.

We did not realize running plays employing misdirection are legal.

Also when you look at the box score in that game one thing that jumps out of you. We had three guys catch balls. TCU had 11 guys catch balls.
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

38 minutes ago, nnm said:

Yes, I do love TCU.

The part that's wrong is where your bargaining phase is so transparent that you're arguing with ghosts. 

You made that argument and implied the other poster disagreed and you just didn't know how to explain why he's wrong. Except his post said absolutely nothing about TCU's season. 

You're trying to convince yourself, not him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

We did not realize running plays employing misdirection are legal.

Also when you look at the box score in that game one thing that jumps out of you. We had three guys catch balls. TCU had 11 guys catch balls.

They were better than us up front. I think it came down to that. 

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

I’m envious of their season, as any Horn fan should be. Not their last game, of course. I’m sure this has been posted many times but I’m not wading through this thread. 

I don't know man. Having experienced a season like that (as a fan obviously) I am not really envious of anybody going through it. It took until 1995 to really get over the end of the 1990 season. 

Now granted Georgia wasn't as insufferable as the Miami Hurricanes were about it. But I don't know. Being brutally exposed as a pretender in a championship game situation? I would rather not see that happen again. 

I would rather Texas' next contender be really good than have some flawed Texas team slip in just to get exposed in a brutal manner. Better to get exposed before then.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't know man. Having experienced a season like that (as a fan obviously) I am not really envious of anybody going through it. It took until 1995 to really get over the end of the 1990 season. 

Now granted Georgia wasn't as insufferable as the Miami Hurricanes were about it. But I don't know. Being brutally exposed as a pretender in a championship game situation? I would rather not see that happen again. 

I would rather Texas' next contender be really good than have some flawed Texas team slip in just to get exposed in a brutal manner. Better to get exposed before then.

And our 1990 season included a conference championship. 

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The part that's wrong is where your bargaining phase is so transparent that you're arguing with ghosts. 

You made that argument and implied the other poster disagreed and you just didn't know how to explain why he's wrong. Except his post said absolutely nothing about TCU's season. 

You're trying to convince yourself, not him. 

I’m not bargaining with anyone or anything. I’m admitting that UGA was on another level and that the game was brutal. 

I’ve also had time to let the sting of the game subside and reflect, and realize that a 13-2 season with a Fiesta Bowl CFP semifinal victory is a hell of a season. Of course the CFP final was brutal, but that doesn’t mean the season was a waste or that any other CFP program except UGA wouldn’t like a season like that. 

Maybe TCU takes a step back next year and maybe it has another good season. I don’t know. I certainly will not be expecting another CFP appearance before the field expands. 

3 hours ago, nnm said:

Yes, I do love TCU.

Michigan would not. They beat Ohio State and won the Big 10 conference. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Our defensive front whipped their Oline. Their long TD run was due to an unblocked LB taking himself out of the play. Roughing the punter and blown coverage gave them their other TD.

I’d say our pass blocking was better than theirs, but we misfired/miscaught/didn’t throw on our big pass opportunities. We suffered more from offensive incompetence (unforced errors) than they did.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Probably but didn't help we kept running straight at them....even Georgia didn't do that much until TCU was worn down later in the game.  TCU LBs pursue so hard and we just kept running right the fuck at it.  

3 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Michigan would not. They beat Ohio State and won the Big 10 conference. 

You’re right. My understanding is that to UM fans, beating tOSU is a successful season, regardless of whatever else happens. 

22 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Probably but didn't help we kept running straight at them....even Georgia didn't do that much until TCU was worn down later in the game.  TCU LBs pursue so hard and we just kept running right the fuck at it.  

We need to hire an offensive coach that can help Sark study opposing defenses and game plan against them. Said coach can call plays and coordinate the offense. We can simply call the position “offensive coordinator”…

16 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

TCU confirmed that the Big 12 is a joke of a football conference. They were so much more pathetic than even Cincinatti. The SEC move can't happen soon enough. I'm tired of watching shitty football.

Exactly. Texas hasn’t won this shitty conference for 13 years. I can’t wait until we dump the Big 12 and show the boys in Alabama and Georgia how it’s done. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, nnm said:

You’re right. My understanding is that to UM fans, beating tOSU is a successful season, regardless of whatever else happens. 

That's not really true.  They view tOSU in much the same way we view OU.  It's definitely important but we could still have a disappointing season even with a win over OU.   And they could still have a disappointing season even with a win over tOSU.

But that's not what happened for Michigan in 2022.  They had a bad-ass season that included whipping their arch-rival in their own house, going undefeated in the regular season, winning their conference, and coming just short in the national semifinal.  Only the most delusional Texas fans would be disappointed if we did the same.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Helobious said:

Disagree. Being the first non-blue blood or upper tier SEC team to play in a national title game is a much bigger deal than a conference title. Does anyone even care that Baylor won it last year? Will anyone care about KSUs upset this year? Maybe a little, but TCU not only made the playoff, they beat Michigan and played for the championship. That is far more memorable to the average fan than the conference championship game. Sucks that they got thumped but I think most people (non haters) know that TCU was outmatched, but they aren’t as bad as the score. It just got away from them, happens all the time, this one being horrific timing for them and the ratings. As an alum of a non-blue blood I envy TCU for breaking through, similar to Techs run to the title game in basketball a few years ago. The Tech comparison is apt, I still remember that run they made in March, I can hardly recall the last non- Kansas team to win the conference.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

You think Michigan would trade its Big 10 championship and win over rival Ohio State for your season?

Holy shit.

Clarified above twice. I was corrected on that and agree with the correction. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

You think Michigan would trade its Big 10 championship and win over rival Ohio State for your season?

Holy shit.

The Ohio State win wouldn't change because it was part of an undefeated regular season, same as TCU. So the question is would they rather lose the Big 10 title game in exchange for a first round playoff win and title game blowout, or take the conference championship win with the first round loss. I think its quite a bit different for Michigan than TCU. Michigan is a blueblood and will probably have opportunities in the future to make a national title game, so they may be more okay with a conference title this year and first round loss. TCU is very unlikely to play for another national title in the foreseeable future, so I think making that game even with the blowout was more important to their overall perception.

19 hours ago, sidis said:

the only thing i can think about every time i see this thread is just how utterly fucking incompetent one would have to be to play tcu at home and:

1) score 3 offensive points;

2) have 199 total offensive yards;

3) have one of the best players in college football rush for 29 yards on 12 carries;

4) go 1 of 13 on third down.

i am genuinely incapable of even conceptualizing that.  we are clearly not georgia and don't offer the same l.o.s. matchups that they did.  their qb has been in college for 74 years and our's should be a true freshman.  but holy christ that was such a humiliating failure of a game.

Ewers was that bad the second half of the season -- and Sark didn't really help matters. If he'd employed the Alamo/Washington dink-and-dunk passing game, I think we might've had a little more success all around.

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Disagree. Being the first non-blue blood or upper tier SEC team to play in a national title game is a much bigger deal than a conference title. Does anyone even care that Baylor won it last year? Will anyone care about KSUs upset this year? Maybe a little, but TCU not only made the playoff, they beat Michigan and played for the championship. That is far more memorable to the average fan than the conference championship game. Sucks that they got thumped but I think most people (non haters) know that TCU was outmatched, but they aren’t as bad as the score. It just got away from them, happens all the time, this one being horrific timing for them and the ratings. As an alum of a non-blue blood I envy TCU for breaking through, similar to Techs run to the title game in basketball a few years ago. The Tech comparison is apt, I still remember that run they made in March, I can hardly recall the last non- Kansas team to win the conference.

You can’t make a banner out of it, but TCU is now one of only 7 programs to win a CFP game. Is that worth being a national punchline in the short term and a trivia question for worst championship loss in the long term? YMMV

The 1990 Cotton Bowl loss to Miami is the closest comp I have as a Texas fan, but in that season we beat OU, Arkansas,  exorcised some Demons against UH, broke a 6 game losing streak to ATM, and won the SWC. 

Not calling TCU the conference champ this year is fucking stupid. Idgaf about the champ game. They still had a better record in a round robin conf play than Kstate by at least a full game, maybe 2. And a better record overall. The selection committee understood this. Because our conference leadership is stupid isn’t TCUs fault.

That said, they should have scored down on the goal line Vs Kstate.

20 hours ago, sidis said:

1) score 3 offensive points; 2) have 199 total offensive yards;

3) have one of the best players in college football rush for 29 yards on 12 carries; 4) go 1 of 13 on third down.

100% spot on. What's even more absurd: 1) The excuses provided for the incompetence. 2) Posters saying they are tired of watching crappy Big 12 football and ready for SEC. 

Legit question: Why does anyone think Texas's mediocrity gonna magically disappear in the SEC? Recruiting? More $$$$$

-- Since the Big 12 was formed, Texas won the Big 12 title three times and has gone 5-7 vs. SEC teams (not including Missouri games in Big 12). Unless there is a MASSIVE coaching and performance upgrade, Texas will be middle-of-the-road SEC, just like they have been in the Big 12 for the past 13 years. Sad, but true. 

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Fuck You 1

Legit question: Why does anyone think Texas's mediocrity gonna magically disappear in the SEC?

Narrator: it won’t.

That’s what aggy thought and how did that work out for them? Our results are a product of our organizational culture, which is a product of our organizational leadership. Until there is a wholesale change in our culture, driven by leadership, nothing will change.

Cultures are hard to change. Just ask aggy.

47 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

You can’t make a banner out of it, but TCU is now one of only 7 programs to win a CFP game. Is that worth being a national punchline in the short term and a trivia question for worst championship loss in the long term? YMMV

The 1990 Cotton Bowl loss to Miami is the closest comp I have as a Texas fan, but in that season we beat OU, Arkansas,  exorcised some Demons against UH, broke a 6 game losing streak to ATM, and won the SWC. 

The way the game went is far from ideal, but the answer is still unequivocally yes.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

100% spot on. What's even more absurd: 1) The excuses provided for the incompetence. 2) Posters saying they are tired of watching crappy Big 12 football and ready for SEC. 

Legit question: Why does anyone think Texas's mediocrity gonna magically disappear in the SEC? Recruiting? More $$$$$

-- Since the Big 12 was formed, Texas won the Big 12 title three times and has gone 5-7 vs. SEC teams (not including Missouri games in Big 12). Unless there is a MASSIVE coaching and performance upgrade, Texas will be middle-of-the-road SEC, just like they have been in the Big 12 for the past 13 years. Sad, but true. 

Iron sharpens iron. It's hard to be good at football when you only play mediocre big 12 teams every year. Texas and OU are more talented than everyone in the league every year. But they mostly go against middling schools that have little to no NFL talent on their rosters and it makes them soft as baby shit. Add to that the fact that everyone has their super bowl against us, along with trash refs with the agenda of keeping lesser teams in games(wow! such parity! that conference must be really hard!), and you get shit ass results.

Texas might be mediocre in the SEC as well. I'd think not, but i would rather give the guys on our football team experience playing against rosters loaded with future NFL talent than the bullshit we currently have to put up with on a week-to-week basis.

https://bnbfootball.com/which-conferences-produce-the-most-nfl-players/

These numbers are actually very damning. The pac-12 produces more NFL talent than the Big 12. Think about that.

Edited by Pam Cummings

35 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I’ll bet you $1,000 that we don’t win the SEC in our first 10 years in the conference. And believe me, I’d be happy to pay that bet.

OK? And what does that have to do with my point that the big 12 is a candy ass football conference that produces very little NFL talent compared to the SEC and Big 10?

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Not calling TCU the conference champ this year is fucking stupid. Idgaf about the champ game. 

The Big 12 doesn't care about your feelings.

KSU is the Big 12 champ.  You don't get a banner for winning the regular season unless your sport doesn't have a conference tournament. 

KSU is the Big 12 champ.  You don't get a banner for winning the regular season unless your sport doesn't have a conference tournament. 

100% agreed. But any objective observer can realize TCU had a better season in the big 12 than Kstate did. Also I don’t recall seeing anyone who thinks the big 12 method of determining a champion isn’t stupid.

That said, rules are rules so no banner for TCU. Doesn’t make it not stupid.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well maybe not a banner, but you do get a regular-season championship trophy in baseball, basketball, soccer, and tennis.

Below tweet is UT hoisting its regular-season B12 championship trophy in 2021 after winning the series against WestVirginia:

44 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Nothing.

It has everything to do with your statement that iron sharpens iron.

Ah. I just happen to think that the guys who play football at Texas have aspirations to play in the NFL. They will be better served and more prepared to go to the NFL if they are able to play against better competition from week to week. I think that Texas will produce better NFL talent due to this move. Whether that translates to having a lot of team success, who knows. But i certainly understand why you and others in our fanbase would be skeptical.

14 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Ah. I just happen to think that the guys who play football at Texas have aspirations to play in the NFL. They will be better served and more prepared to go to the NFL if they are able to play against better competition from week to week. I think that Texas will produce better NFL talent due to this move. Whether that translates to having a lot of team success, who knows. But i certainly understand why you and others in our fanbase would be skeptical.

Week to week grind.  Iron sharpens iron.  Just wait 'til the SEC.  Can't believe how bad the B12 is.

Who does that sound like?

UGA and Bama are heads and shoulders above CFB.  MissSU, Vandy, Mizzou, USCar, UK, aggy, etc., etc., are not.  UT is not going to play UGA and Bama every week.  They'll play the rest of those teams week to week.  Depending on the alignments, UT may even be able to dodge at least one of the heavyweights for decades, as aggy has.  Some years the other SEC teams have very good seasons.  But so do USCal, OrU, tOSU, UM, OUsux, TCU, etc.  

SEC isn't some magical conference that dispenses unworldly competitive levels on every member simply by association.  

Don't be aggy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The year before VY went all VY on USC, they pounded OU 55-19 in the title game.

That was a brutal beatdown for a championship game, but it was STILL a closer contest than TCU/Georgia.

All these years later, all anyone remembers is OU getting fucking exposed.  Not some magical season to get there, just the absolute pantsing USC gave them.

That's what will be remembered years from now for tcu.  Not the storybook season, just the slasher film ending.

I'd personally rather not be associated with those games on that stage.  We've had our share if humiliating outings over the last 10 years, but never on that stage and never with that much on the line.  Playing in the game is good...unless it's like that.  I don't see how you can argue a game like that can ever be a good thing.

• Hook 'Em 5

33 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

The year before VY went all VY on USC, they pounded OU 55-19 in the title game.

That was a brutal beatdown for a championship game, but it was STILL a closer contest than TCU/Georgia.

All these years later, all anyone remembers is OU getting fucking exposed.  Not some magical season to get there, just the absolute pantsing USC gave them.

That's what will be remembered years from now for tcu.  Not the storybook season, just the slasher film ending.

I'd personally rather not be associated with those games on that stage.  We've had our share if humiliating outings over the last 10 years, but never on that stage and never with that much on the line.  Playing in the game is good...unless it's like that.  I don't see how you can argue a game like that can ever be a good thing.

Didn't ESPN do a whole hour-long piece on OU being the Team of the Century that year? 

People will remember the undefeated season, but not nearly as much as TCU getting run through like DGs after Anchor Splash.  

Edited by Rio Don