CFP National Championship Game: #1 Georgia vs #3 TCU.

FartingDreamer

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

So Todd Monken is a great coach.

Herbstreit would not stfu about that guy. What was the deal there? Was there an over/under on how often he could randomly mention Todd Monken's name? A drinking game perhaps, and Herbie wanted everyone plastered?

Edited by Pam Cummings

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Disagree.   When talking about a coach’s resume, bowl record almost always pops up

Oh people definitely talk about it.  People talk about lots of irrelevant stupid things.

But bowl games are, continue to be, and have always been, a poor metric for comparing relative conference strength.  It's simply too different from the regular season in preparation and stakes, to have any real meaning.

So how does this affect TCU going forward. My kid and I were talking about it earlier. Would you rather go to that game and get beat by damn near 60, or not make it to that game at all?

Not that I really care, because fuck the Roaches. Roaches suck.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, wood said:

So how does this affect TCU going forward. My kid and I were talking about it earlier. Would you rather go to that game and get beat by damn near 60, or not make it to that game at all?

And they don't even have a conference trophy.  For me, that would make a difference in the way I view this team. But the fact is that they failed in both of the two games they played, when hardware was on the line.

• Hook 'Em 3

I don’t think it affects them at all. They’re still a small school that punches above their weight in football and for some reason stokes odd irrational hatred from delusional Longhorn fans. No reason for any of that to change. They likely won’t get a shot like this for another 80 years or so but they’ll probably keep wearing out our entitled team on a regular basis until we flee.

I think as far as reputation and recruiting goes, they either needed to keep it close-ish or lose a tight game against Michigan in the first round. The shine of making the title game is quickly tarnished by getting your shit pushed in with the whole cfb fandom watching, IMO. Especially with all the close games they played this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

They beat Michigan because of that overturned TD and two defensive scores

I don't understand that thinking. Pointing to a few plays and saying that is why someone lost is lame. Michigan has the ball inside the one. Don't fumble the ball. Yes, TCU returned two Michigan passes for INT TDs. Don't throw interceptions. The plays happened.

Don't run stupid plays and when they don't work don't say, "if that hadn't happened we would have won". It makes no sense. Every play matters. Every mistake matters.

"If we didn't throw those interceptions....."

Well, don't throw them.

TCU ran for over 260 yards and added three TDs, 77 more yards than Michigan. The first time this season Michigan had been outgained in rushing. Duggan also threw two INTs. Should we say that those caused the game to be closer than it should have been? TCU averaged 16 yards per reception with two TDs. TCU's defense had four sacks. Don't give up sacks. 

Three times Michigan was inside the TCU 5-yard line and came away with three points. 

Michigan deserved to lose and TCU deserved the victory.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hmbre97 said:

I think as far as reputation and recruiting goes, they either needed to keep it close-ish or lose a tight game against Michigan in the first round. The shine of making the title game is quickly tarnished by getting your shit pushed in with the whole cfb fandom watching, IMO. Especially with all the close games they played this year.

Agree. If anything this helps us and OU recruit with the upcoming move to the SEC. Michigan game win won't be remembered. The absolute ass kicking last night will be on show for decades.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I don't understand that thinking. Pointing to a few plays and saying that is why someone lost is lame. Michigan has the ball inside the one. Don't fumble the ball. Yes, TCU returned two Michigan passes for INT TDs. Don't throw interceptions. The plays happened.

Don't run stupid plays and when they don't work don't say, "if that hadn't happened we would have won". It makes no sense. Every play matters. Every mistake matters.

"If we didn't throw those interceptions....."

Well, don't throw them.

TCU ran for over 260 yards and added three TDs, 77 more yards than Michigan. The first time this season Michigan had been outgained in rushing. Duggan also threw two INTs. Should we say that those caused the game to be closer than it should have been? TCU averaged 16 yards per reception with two TDs. TCU's defense had four sacks. Don't give up sacks. 

Three times Michigan was inside the TCU 5-yard line and came away with three points. 

Michigan deserved to lose and TCU deserved the victory.

Here’s the thinking: When you win because of things that rarely happen and thus can’t relied upon for consistent success, it’s often seen as more of an anomaly than when you line up and beat someone’s ass up and down the field. That is not to say that the rare situations didn’t happen or that the plays weren’t made. They were and the team that made them gets the benefit of them, but they probably aren’t reproducible and probably wouldn’t happen in a rematch. 

Pick sixes are relatively rare. Two in the same game even more so. Having a good team get to your two and come away with no points is relatively rare. Twice in the same game even more so. All four in the same game? How many times is that going to happen and what are the odds you could do it again in a rematch?

You may not agree with that thinking, but outliers are a thing even while acknowledging that the beneficiary of those things helped create them. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Even before opt-outs, bowl game results were a terrible way to attempt to measure relative conference strength.  There's a big difference between the way teams prepare for a bowl game, compared to the way teams prepare for regular season games.  Many coaches don't give a rat's ass about the bowl game results and simply use the extra practice time to prepare for the following year.  Many of the players have already checked out and moved on to the next thing on the priority list, even if they're not preparing for the NFL.  And then there's the holidays which tend to break training, and the banquet circuit which absolutely breaks training for those involved.  

It's always tempting to use the bowls as a measure, because we get a lot of intersectional games that we don't often get to see in the regular season.  But the disparity in the way various teams, coaches, and player choose to prepare for the bowls, makes them a poor metric.  Regular season matchups are a better metric, where the preparation and the stakes are more uniform from team to team. 

If that was the case you would see a lot more randomness in the bowl game records between conferences.  But over the last shit ton of years the SEC consistently does better than most if not all other conferences.  Imagine how much ass they would kick if “they wanted to be there”, or maybe it’s the other schools that “don’t want to be there”.

27 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

This is almost exactly what I was telling my kid.

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

If that was the case you would see a lot more randomness in the bowl game records between conferences.  But over the last shit ton of years the SEC consistently does better than most if not all other conferences.  Imagine how much ass they would kick if “they wanted to be there”, or maybe it’s the other schools that “don’t want to be there”.

SEC also picks and chooses their matchups in bowl season 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yes.

TCU now has the distinction of suffering the 1st and tied for 2nd worst blow outs in bowl history.

The only Fort Worth Classic took place on Jan. 1, 1921, as Centre beat TCU 63-7 in front of 9,000 fans. Centre finished 8-2 in the 1920 season.

So….I’m wondering if our 70-7 ‘05 Big XII win over CU was the most lopsided in college postseason history?

2 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

So….I’m wondering if our 70-7 ‘05 Big XII win over CU was the most lopsided in college postseason history?

Probably...and it was 70-3, and we had that 70 halfway through the 3Q.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomlayberger/2018/11/16/five-of-the-most-lopsided-college-football-conference-championship-games/?sh=13070a725aff

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Agree. If anything this helps us and OU recruit with the upcoming move to the SEC. Michigan game win won't be remembered. The absolute ass kicking last night will be on show for decades.

Yep, and the booth pointed that out last night.  That game fuels the argument that the left-behinds won't be able to compete in the new world.

A bunch of schools will bust their ass to win their conference and make the expanded playoff, telling themselves why they can actually go deep, only to get their pants pulled down on national tv like we saw last night when they run into Georgia, Bama, Ohio State, USC, eventually Texas, etc.  After a handful of years, that should just about permanently keep those left-behinds from getting anything more than 3-stars.

I mean, I guess they'll always have the playing time argument.  But that's it.  You want to win, you go to the B1G or the SEC.

Edited by TexArcher

I rewatched some of the TCU/Michigan game before the National Blowout and TCU was more physical than M. They handled their assignments and they got helmets on people far better than M did. That works well until you start trying to put your helmets on guys who are future NFL players. Then you get your ass kicked.

2 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Have you psychologically blocked out UH in 1988 with Andre Ware? The Rotten Bowl against Miami? Rout 66? A few of Mack’s efforts against OU?

Nope.  Miami Cotton Bowl was up there, but in a gam for everything, the freaking National Championship, I’ve never seen anything like last night.

The stage is factored into my comment.

5 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Uhhh, yeah you have.

Not on that stage.  Not ever.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

A TCU team goes from 5-7 to losing in the national championship game and y'all are trying to paint it that maybe they'd been better off not going. Lol.

Sounds logical until you consider that they got completely assraped, mudholed and humiliated. And as others pointed out, don't even have conference hardware to show for it. They could have at least looked like they should be there for the big dance.

TCU's new school song ... play it for the 'croots

1 hour ago, wood said:

depends on the alternatives. Lose the championship ugly or catch a beating in the Alamo Bowl or forfeit the bowl or go 5-7 & not make a bowl? I'd prefer the NC beatdown in that scenario. There aren't many scenarios where I wouldn't want to be playing for the NC over much of anything else even though the 60 point beat down would not leave me feeling great. 

We went 5-7 last year just like TCU, would you have preferred their 13-2 season or our 8-5 season?

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, hook me said:

depends on the alternatives. Lose the championship ugly or catch a beating in the Alamo Bowl or forfeit the bowl or go 5-7 & not make a bowl? I'd prefer the NC beatdown in that scenario. There aren't many scenarios where I wouldn't want to be playing for the NC over much of anything else even though the 60 point beat down would not leave me feeling great. 

We went 5-7 last year just like TCU, would you have preferred their 13-2 season or our 8-5 season?

Depends. Is the 13-2 a fluke where you regress to a .500 team? Would you have preferred Baylor’s previous season given how this season went? Is the 8-5 a step toward 10-3 toward more or is it another in a string of mediocre seasons? Ideally, you don’t trade one year of lightning in a bottle for building a better foundation, but there’s no way to know whether either is true at this point. 

In retrospect, if I were a TCU fan, I’d rather lose a street brawl to Michigan to validate that we belonged rather than win it and then become a punchline. We don’t get to operate in retrospect, though. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Depends. Is the 13-2 a fluke where you regress to a .500 team? Would you have preferred Baylor’s previous season given how this season went? Is the 8-5 a step toward 10-3 toward more or is it another in a string of mediocre seasons? Ideally, you don’t trade one year of lightning in a bottle for building a better foundation, but there’s no way to know whether either is true at this point. 

In retrospect, if I were a TCU fan, I’d rather lose a street brawl to Michigan to validate that we belonged rather than win it and then become a punchline. We don’t get to operate in retrospect, though. 

If you're asking for the direction of a program then you're changing the argument. I'd rather go 5-7, 8-5, 10-3, 11-2 & settle in 12-1 land for eternity, but since we don't get to really plan out the next 5 years I'd 100% take a flash in the pan-type season & then hope our coaches can parlay that success into future success as opposed to watching coaches be completely unsuccessful for 3 years & piss away any hint of success at the first opportunity. Baylor won a Big 12 championship last year which we haven't done in 14ish years. They also won their NYE6 bowl which is a combination we haven't accomplished since 2005 when we won the NC. Yeah, I think I'd take that & then have a return to earth for a season opposed to scratching out an 8th win before getting handled in the Alamo Bowl. But that's just my preference & I can certainly understand those who'd prefer to not be on the opposite end of that kind of beatdown. 

6 minutes ago, hook me said:

If you're asking for the direction of a program then you're changing the argument. I'd rather go 5-7, 8-5, 10-3, 11-2 & settle in 12-1 land for eternity, but since we don't get to really plan out the next 5 years I'd 100% take a flash in the pan-type season & then hope our coaches can parlay that success into future success as opposed to watching coaches be completely unsuccessful for 3 years & piss away any hint of success at the first opportunity. Baylor won a Big 12 championship last year which we haven't done in 14ish years. They also won their NYE6 bowl which is a combination we haven't accomplished since 2005 when we won the NC. Yeah, I think I'd take that & then have a return to earth for a season opposed to scratching out an 8th win before getting handled in the Alamo Bowl. But that's just my preference & I can certainly understand those who'd prefer to not be on the opposite end of that kind of beatdown. 

I'm not changing the argument because seasons don't occur in a vacuum. That's like "Hey, look at this great stock I picked this year! Up 75% and yours is only up 8%!" Let's ignore that the stock tanked the next and lost the gains while I only got 8% again.

If all you're asking is "Ignore the whys and the processes and what's going on at the two places is 12-3 better than 8-5?" Well, yeah. That's a trivial question. The more fundamental question is would you swap the 8-5 team's status for the 12-3 one's? I wouldn't swap programs or rosters with TCU.

College football is like the Bermuda Triangle’. Just proves Teenage kids are something! 

How does A Michigan team that ran over Ohio State in the Shoe at that, lose to a TCU team that was thrashed by a UGA team that was a missed FG away from not even being there to this same Ohio State team!! 

Georgia was just on one last night 

Confused No Way GIF by Desus & Mero

This is Nebraska Florida 1996, ultimately, except people thought Florida could win that game.  

Notwithstanding talent where there was already a huge gap, Georgia’s offensive scheme is a horrible matchup for TCU’s defense more than others.  

Matchups are real. Texas beat Georgia largely because Texas that year was horrible defending misdirection and spread offenses and Georgia was pro style and down the middle.  We won. That Georgia offense was a great matchup for our defense.  

Still, TCU got gigged early and didn’t wake up.  As well as they were prepared for Michigan, they were just happy to be there for Georgia and that’s on Dykes and his staff.  I was thinking 38-13 or something like that.  And I think most of the time when the avalanche/snowball effect of championship momentum isn’t coming into play, that’s probably the right score between these teams.  Still a huge gap. 

• Hook 'Em 3