CFP National Championship Game: #1 Georgia vs #3 TCU.

FartingDreamer

Should be interesting if UGA comes in taking TCU lightly.  I personally will be rooting for TCU, because a natty would give the new Big 12 a much needed boost in credibility, plus I'm sick of only the SEC winning all of the titles. and for a change, we have a non ACC/B1G/SEC team playing in the game for a change.  Go Frogs!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FartingDreamer said:

Should be interesting if UGA comes in taking TCU lightly.  I personally will be rooting for TCU, because a natty would give the new Big 12 a much needed boost in credibility, plus I'm sick of only the SEC winning all of the titles. and for a change, we have a non ACC/B1G/SEC team playing in the game for a change.  Go Frogs!

The conference your team isn't in?  Ok. Cool. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

The fact that Georgia had the big scare with Ohio St makes me think there's no way they take TCU lightly, and they should shred them. 

On the other hand, TCU has been winning games that they should lose all year long. What's one more?

If RB Miller can’t play that will hurt TCU but after watching them come out blazing against Michigan I give TCU more than a fighting chance. TCU has been on a razor’s edge all year but if they can get turnovers/control TOP (which has been the “keys to the game” for them every time I have watched them play) I can see this game coming down to the wire—FG or maybe 4 points wins it.

1 hour ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Hate how the game isn’t today  

monday is dumb.  I get why they do it, but it’s still dumb  

Should be on a Friday night since NFL is on Saturday and Sunday now.

I hate Mondays.  It forces me to take off work the first couple hours of Tuesday morning so I can sleep in/sleep it off.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

but if tcu can get turnovers/control TOP (which has been the “keys to the game” for them every time I have watched them play) I can see this game coming down to the wire—FG or maybe 4 points wins it.

Might surprise yah that tcu has lost TOP in several games this season

• Mich won TOP
  • Kstate won TOP in B12 Champ Game
  • Baylor won TOP
  • West Virginia won TOP
  • Kansas won TOP

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Might surprise yah that tcu has lost TOP in several games this season

• Mich won TOP
  • Kstate won TOP in B12 Champ Game
  • Baylor won TOP
  • West Virginia won TOP
  • Kansas won TOP

ah so they’ve won TOP in 9 of 14 games? that’s pretty strong. 

• Haha 1

The theme song for the title game was composed by John Williams.  Called "Of Grit And Glory".

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/john-williams-writes-new-theme-for-espn-college-football-1235480841/

Legendary composer John Williams has written an original theme for ESPN’s College Football Playoff National Championship, airing at 7:30 p.m. Eastern Monday night prior to the TCU-Georgia game at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, Calif.

Titled “Of Grit and Glory,” it runs three and a half minutes and will score a specially created series of visuals that convey “the feeling behind the night, fear and anticipation, triumph and failure,” ESPN co-director and producer Martin Khodabakhshian tells Variety.

Williams’ new music – previewed for Variety late Thursday – plays like a joyful overture, opening with fanfares and shifting seamlessly from martial urgency to anthemic splendor, all richly orchestrated and instantly memorable.

Says Williams: “Intercollegiate football has been at the heart and soul of our nation’s life for so long that the opportunity to musically salute this great tradition has been a particularly meaningful joy for me. I was thrilled and excited when ESPN suggested that I write a theme for the Jan. 9 championship game.

“The games themselves always raise the collective spirit and, in the end, the competition brings us all closer to a place where the concept of winners and losers dissolves into mutual respect and admiration. The invitation to write this music constitutes a great honor for me, and I feel especially privileged to make a small contribution to one of our country’s most treasured traditions.”

Khodabakhshian and his co-director and editor Michael Sciallis of Victory Pictures had dreamed about getting the world’s most famous film composer to write music for their opening sequence. So three months ago, at the urging of lead game producer Bill Bonnell (who had worked with the composer on past Olympic events), they wrote what Khodabakhshian calls “a love letter” to Williams, outlining their thoughts and gently inquiring about the possibility of an original piece.

“There’s no better person on the planet to write about emotions and the things that come with the biggest night on ESPN’s biggest stage, our Super Bowl, than John Williams,” Khodabakhshian says. Adds Sciallis: “We wrote about the emotions of bringing people together, not just the competition side of it, but how audiences are affected.”

Two days later, word came back: “He’s started writing something.” The ESPN team jumped into action, conceiving a visual sequence that would feature “college football heroes and legends from all eras” but also add “the beauty of Hollywood and California,” where the game would take place, Khodabakhshian notes.

Williams conducted a 96-piece orchestra on the Sony scoring stage on Dec. 21. And ESPN was there with seven cameras, shooting the entire three-hour recording session, parts of which will be intertwined throughout the opening segment – “so you feel the energy of those orchestra members, and of John, playing this music for the first time, so the audience gets to feel that as well,” Sciallis says.

The “giddiness and excitement” associated with a new Williams anthem for their big college football game was palpable throughout the ESPN executive suites, Sciallis says. Yet it remained top secret until today. On Saturday, ESPN will tease the opening and the Williams score during its NFL Wild Card Doubleheader.

Williams’ new music will be heard throughout the TCU-Georgia matchup. He recorded several takes of the main piece as well as briefer excerpts, “a re-join piece and a vamp,” Sciallis reports; “cutdowns and stingers,” shorter pieces that could be useful during the game itself, were edited in the days following the Dec. 21 session.

“He captured the spirit of the night,” says Sciallis. Khodabakhshian confesses he broke down in tears after meeting the maestro. “I’m so overwhelmed and grateful because he’s the GOAT!”

This is believed to be the largest-scale musical commission ever for the sports network. What will happen with the piece after Monday night is not clear. ESPN could theoretically use it in future college football broadcasts; no plans for a commercial release have apparently been discussed.

In terms of music for athletic competition, the five-time Oscar winner has written four Olympic fanfares, a gridiron march for NBC’s football coverage, and the score for Kobe Bryant’s Oscar-winning short “Dear Basketball.” He hasn’t written music for broadcast television since his “Great Performances” theme for PBS, which won a 2009 Emmy; his theme for “Obi-Wan Kenobi” debuted last year on the Disney+ streaming service.

Williams, 90, is currently on the Oscar shortlist for his music for Steven Spielberg’s “The Fabelmans,” and has been working for the past several months on the score for “Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny,” slated for release June 30.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I don't want any other Texas team to win the MNC ... ever! No matter how much we have sucked over the past decade, we still have the bragging right of being the only team from Texas to win the MNC in the modern era, and I don't want that to change. Go UGA!

• Hook 'Em 1

TCU is a really good team, having a great season. They’re not much (if any) better than Texas. Michigan was their best win, by a mile. What was their second best win? Over Texas or KSU? 

They had a puncher’s chance against Michigan, and they took it. This is the second week in a row they will have to go up against bigger, more physical lines. I don’t see Duggan with 15 carries again. I think Georgia covers. 

I think this will be the playoff template, going forward. A team can get hot, and win the first round, but the championships will be won by the teams with lots of NFL talent on the lines. 

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure of accuracy of this TOP data, but at bottom is a link...

• jawja ranked    #11
  • tcu ranked       #49

"College FB Team Average Time of Possession (Excluding OT)"

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot

Their(TCU) TOP being lower in so many wins tells me one thing...efficiency. 

For me, what I am most interested in seeing in this game is UGa’s defensive line and linebackers against TCU’s attempt to run the ball. Ohio State is not really a powerful running team right now, so that was not a great example.

TCU was wonderful running the ball against Michigan. If they can run the ball against UGa I think they have a good shot. Conversely, TCU’s DL whipped Michigan’s running game. Can they do the same in this one? I don’t think they will.

I think UGa wins but, I also think it will be a good game. I don’t think UGa slaughters them.

• Hook 'Em 1

Keys to victory for tcu:

Georgia needs to go to the red zone 3 times and only get 3 points out of it.

Stetson needs to throw 2 pick 6 balls.
Exactly. And after all that, Michigan still had the ball with a chance to win at the end.

Bennett is not giving them gifts like Michigan's dorky QB.

What makes you think that? The last 3 games they played weren’t won with ease.
Are you talking about Georgia? They throttled LSU in the SEC championship. And slept walk to a 3 score win against Georgia Tech. Those were definitely easy games.

And Ohio State is on a much different level than TCU talent wise. They have speed and talent all over the place who can go toe to toe with Georgia. And should have easily won if they didn't get ultra conservative at the end. Ohio State would have throttled TCU too.

TCU RB Kendre Miller 50/50 to play Monday (MCL sprain.) we might know in a few hours if he can play at all:

“[Sunday] definitely is going to be pretty much the deciding factor if I can go or not, but I’m going to definitely try. It’s kind of like a 50-50, but I’ll most definitely suit up either way and try,” Miller explained to the media Saturday, according to ESPN.

If he can play I’d probably only use him in the 4th quarter if the game is close (meaning TCU is behind.) that’s just my opinion. Maybe some goal line stuff. 

UGA enters Q4 with a 17 point lead. TCU scores a late TD to make it a 10 point game. 
38-28 final.

I think TCU jumps up to a 14-0 lead then UGA just dominates and wears them out from there. 45-24 or something. The talent on UGAs lines are the best in college football.

12 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

If RB Miller can’t play that will hurt TCU but after watching them come out blazing against Michigan I give TCU more than a fighting chance. TCU has been on a razor’s edge all year but if they can get turnovers/control TOP (which has been the “keys to the game” for them every time I have watched them play) I can see this game coming down to the wire—FG or maybe 4 points wins it.

Agree, but I don’t see TCU getting 2 pick-sixes….which is unheard of.   Hope TCU can pull this off, but if not, just hope it’s a close, good game.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m hoping for 14 games of almost every call and every break going TCU’s way getting repaid in this one game. 

Every game is its own thing, but I don’t expect TCU to have any more success on offense against Georgia than they did against Texas, with fewer missed holding calls and fewer chances for a flopping punter to be able to create the equivalent of turnovers. 

33 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I’m hoping for 14 games of almost every call and every break going TCU’s way getting repaid in this one game.   Every game is its own thing, but I don’t expect TCU to have any more success on offense against Georgia than they did against Texas, with fewer missed holding calls and fewer chances for a flopping punter to be able to create the equivalent of turnovers. 

I'm still amazed that the Texas defense held the toads to only 17pts...  

Crazy Game  😋

Edited by LTtxfan

5 hours ago, statsman said:

TCU is a really good team, having a great season. They’re not much (if any) better than Texas. Michigan was their best win, by a mile. What was their second best win? Over Texas or KSU? 

They had a puncher’s chance against Michigan, and they took it. This is the second week in a row they will have to go up against bigger, more physical lines. I don’t see Duggan with 15 carries again. I think Georgia covers. 

I think this will be the playoff template, going forward. A team can get hot, and win the first round, but the championships will be won by the teams with lots of NFL talent on the lines. 

Everyone keeps saying that. It’s not true. This isn't 1960s-1990s scrappy yet undersized TCU. 

TCU’s DL averages 6'3" 294 to Georgia DL 6'3" 300. The DL is the strength of the UGA defense along with one great CB. 

The OL for TCU averages 6'5" 317 verses UGA at 6'5" 311. TCU OL is actually bigger, just like they were bigger than the so called monster Michigan OL. 

TCU didn’t run misdirection smoke screens to beat UM. They straight punched them in the mouth and beat them up. They may lose against UGA, but they’re not undersized or not physical. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, TexasGolf said:

TCU had 2 pick six, Michigan fumbled on the half yard line and another trip inside the 5 with no points and yet Michigan was only down 3 points towards the end. Georgia rolls. 

Take off your blue blood glasses.
Michigan benefitted from a phantom roughing call resulting in a TD, got a pick from a well thrown ball which the receiver deflected, which resulted in another TD, got a fumble deep inside TCU’s territory, and benefitted from phantom DPI calls. 

TCU dominated the game, led wire to wire, and it was UM, not little ol’ TCU, running scared and running trick plays to try to keep up. 

If the results were reversed, everyone would be talking about how UM dominated and plucky TCU came close but just couldn’t quite get there despite a miraculous 3Q. 

UM was lucky to be within 3 towards the end.

UGA is better than UM, but not the dominant team they were last year. They may win, but I don’t think it’s going to be the game the lazy blue blood tshirt fans think it is. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Hate how the game isn’t today  

monday is dumb.  I get why they do it, but it’s still dumb  

Definitely should be on a Saturday.

7 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

I don't want any other Texas team to win the MNC ... ever! No matter how much we have sucked over the past decade, we still have the bragging right of being the only team from Texas to win the MNC in the modern era, and I don't want that to change. Go UGA!

Why not?  Lack of state pride?  The more teams from this state appear in the title game, the better it reflects on Texas talent overall.

Edited by FartingDreamer