Mini Universal Studios headed for Frisco

Pancho

39 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Frisco’ s new motto: “We’re the new Arlington, but prettier”

At first I was like, "I hope it's Dude Perfect World being announced"

Then I was like, "Oh okay, Universal Studios seems cool and don't have to fly to Florida as much for vacations to Disney/US, etc."

Then I was like, "Traffic is already horrible"

I feel like there are going to be a lot of people who traverse DNT from El Dorado to 380 who are going to wish people would stay in Arlington:

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

In unrelated news, tolls on the Dallas north tollway are scheduled to increase shortly to speed up the construction to the Oklahoma border. 

I got my year end AMEX report with the pie charts breaking down what I spent for the year. 

If you want to be shocked, actually look into how much you spend on toll fees a year.

As if that's going to make a damn bit of difference. Traffic is not going to be better without it.

They are building to the Red as fast as they can. Texas added 300k+ last year. Frisco is going to grow. Celina, Prosper, et al. I'm sitting in the truck where not that long ago it was farm and pasture. Princeton, it was a dot on the map as was Frisco when I was a kid. 

They're building the DNT as fast as they can. Next stop past 380? 

You tell me.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, cactusflinthead said:

As if that's going to make a damn bit of difference. Traffic is not going to be better without it.

They are building to the Red as fast as they can. Texas added 300k+ last year. Frisco is going to grow. Celina, Prosper, et al. I'm sitting in the truck where not that long ago it was farm and pasture. Princeton, it was a dot on the map as was Frisco when I was a kid. 

You tell me.

Yep.  I live close to 380 more towards the Denton end.  It's a nightmare heading to the tollway.  I'd rather the land be an amusement park over another master planned community

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Jurassic park and Harry Potter, same as Los Angeles?

Doubtful. They're not building any roller coasters with this one. It's aimed for kids 9 and under so that means Minions, Secret Life of Pets, Trolls, Shrek, and Madagascar. It is amusing that there were always rumors in the late 80s/early 90s that Disney was going to build a park in Frisco back when that was all ranches. That park is going to suck July and August. Hope they build some water features. 

Your move Six Flags! God, that place is a massive piece of shit now.

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

You tell me.

I bet it will extend to 455 in the next 7-8 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Foosters said:

The LA one is opening a huge Super Mario World area in Feb....

Curious as to where they’ll put it. The footprint of that park is already a bit frankenstein-ish.

We went there last Sept and were underwhelmed by the Harry Potter area. Their limited real estate makes making a large area difficult.

1 minute ago, GenXer said:

Curious as to where they’ll put it. The footprint of that park is already a bit frankenstein-ish.

We went there last Sept and were underwhelmed by the Harry Potter area. Their limited real estate makes making a large area difficult.

And they are only dedicating 100 acres to this one, at least the opening phase. So it’s tiny. 

16 minutes ago, GenXer said:

Talking LA, not Frisco-The Lower Lot past the Jurassic Park area. I think it used to be a parking lot. It won't be big. It will only have 1 ride and a restaurant. 

Frisco won't have a Nintendo World. 

Edited by mdmost

31 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

You tell me.

When I was in high school, it was just Frisco High and they were in our 3A (they are called 4A now) district. Now they have 12 high schools! And if you would have told me fucking little ass Prosper was one day going to be a large 6A school, I’m not sure I would have believed you. I remember when everyone went crazy when Deion built his ranch in Prosper. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Pancho said:

When I was in high school, it was just Frisco High and they were in our 3A (they are called 4A now) district. Now they have 12 high schools! And if you would have told me fucking little ass Prosper was one day going to be a large 6A school, I’m not sure I would have believed you. I remember when everyone went crazy when Deion built his ranch in Prosper. 

12 going on 14 and Prosper now has 2 6A schools with plans for a total of 4.

Frisco capped their school sizes all at 5A to allow for smaller schools/class sizes, etc.  

24 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

12 going on 14 and Prosper now has 2 6A schools with plans for a total of 4.

Frisco capped their school sizes all at 5A to allow for smaller schools/class sizes, etc.  

I knew that about Frisco ISD. I didn’t know Prosper had a 2nd high school already. Celina better prepare their butts.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

It is amusing that there were always rumors in the late 80s/early 90s that Disney was going to build a park in Frisco back when that was all ranches. 

In Gainesville, that rumor was always circulating except it was about Montague County in between St. Jo and Nocona.

3 hours ago, GenXer said:

I member when Frisco was just one stop light on a 2 lane 121 at Preston. And Michelle’s ranch.

3 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Same. There was an old gas station at the corner of 121 and 289/Preston. 

i remember when everything west of preston at the preston/park intersection was grass, save for one wooden bbq restaurant on the SW corner.

• Hook 'Em 1

From what I’ve read, this Universal is going to be very kid-centric which is super on brand for Frisco as a WASPy family friendly place to raise young kids. It won’t be a trashy Arlington six flags (though no doubt this will bring petty crime increases) and it won’t be the cool teen/adult attractions like HP or Jurassic Park rides.

This will be great for the families in/around the area who don’t want to drive an hour Six Flags, will be a nothing burger for those without young kids, just like Great Wolf Lodge is.

• Rage+1 1

27 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

From what I’ve read, this Universal is going to be very kid-centric which is super on brand for Frisco as a WASPy family friendly place to raise young kids. It won’t be a trashy Arlington six flags (though no doubt this will bring petty crime increases) and it won’t be the cool teen/adult attractions like HP or Jurassic Park rides.

This will be great for the families in/around the area who don’t want to drive an hour Six Flags, will be a nothing burger for those without young kids, just like Great Wolf Lodge is.

Great Wolf Lodge is a nothingburger with kids, with the added benefit of staph infection.