Jump to content

Mindy Kaling ruins Scooby Doo


GoPokes83

Recommended Posts

Velma on HBO Max is just getting trashed by every critic that’s seen it! With a less than 50 Rotten Tomatoes and 1.5 IMDB scores it’s a certified bomb. Apparently the reviews are so bad they turned off comments on the trailer. Velma is now Indian and a lesbian, black Shaggy, Asian Daphne, and no Scooby Doo… It looks like they’re trying really hard to include one of everything! What could go wrong? Anyone seen it?





 
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thinks just voices by an Asian?  I’m not real familiar with that site but by logging in you can view some reviews.  It’s gets absolutely panned for every reason under the sun other than the checking boxes casting.  It sounds truly awful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The trouble with a show like this is I can't always tell if a bad review is coming from an anti-woke SJW/incel, or if it's really that bad of a show.

Well. Saying "Mindy Khaling has never been entertaining" definitely falls into that former group.

  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

The trouble with a show like this is I can't always tell if a bad review is coming from an anti-woke SJW/incel, or if it's really that bad of a show.

Well. Saying "Mindy Khaling has never been entertaining" definitely falls into that former group.

Exactly. Critics reviews can give you a better sense but user reviews are completely unreliable for projects like this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the gist I've gotten (have not watched, no interest) is that apart from triggering the snowflakes this is a very badly executed show that seems to have no idea who it is for. It's supposed to maybe be for adults and has some... harley quinn elements to it? But it isn't funny, and who even wants that from Scooby Doo?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the entertainment weekly review was fairly scathing.  i like mindy a lot (mindy project was great and obviously the office) but this doesn't look like something i'm into regardless of the reviews.  i actually kinda forgot about it after reading about the development like a year ago.  at that time i thought it was a velma prequel, like without  scooby, but also without fred, daphne, and shaggy.  figuring maybe she met them all in her adventures in this show?

she's getting dragged pretty hard on twitter right now for "always featuring a chubby indian woman who has to change everything to make herself appealing to white men."  i don't know anything about that, but she tends to be pretty autobiographical, at least in the case of mindy project and sex lives of college girls.  one headline said, "mindy kaling has written herself into her velma tv show", which always makes me think of nick cage in adaptation.  "i've written myself into my screenplay."  

it's always a fear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess Velma is supposed to be edgier and more sarcastic but the clip makes her seem like a “mean girl” punching down on Daphane and Fred because they are less intelligent and shallow.  Fred of course has become straight garbage.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Why would they leave out Scooby Doo? I don't get it.

I think the timeline is before the mystery team is together… or wait, maybe it’s just some random alternate version/timeline?

Edited by YChang
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

how old are people that grew up with scooby doo? it was old when I was a little kid and I'm almost 40.

About 20 years older than you. Scooby-Doo was originally broadcast on CBS from 1969 to 1976, when it moved to ABC. ABC aired various versions of Scooby-Doo until canceling it in 1985, and presented a spin-off featuring the characters as children called A Pup Named Scooby-Doo from 1988 until 1991.

Edited by burntorangebongos
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

The trouble with a show like this is I can't always tell if a bad review is coming from an anti-woke SJW/incel, or if it's really that bad of a show.

Well. Saying "Mindy Khaling has never been entertaining" definitely falls into that former group.

I agree here, but I saw bad reviews of it from leftwing nerds who do satire for a living. 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Viper
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

The trouble with a show like this is I can't always tell if a bad review is coming from an anti-woke SJW/incel, or if it's really that bad of a show.

Well. Saying "Mindy Khaling has never been entertaining" definitely falls into that former group.

I’m definitely not part of the anti-woke crowd but I am part of the crowd that has never found anything entertaining or amusing about Mindy Kaling.

  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

how old are people that grew up with scooby doo? it was old when I was a little kid and I'm almost 40.

 

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

About 20 years older than you. Scooby-Doo was originally broadcast on CBS from 1969 to 1976, when it moved to ABC. ABC aired various versions of Scooby-Doo until canceling it in 1985, and presented a spin-off featuring the characters as children called A Pup Named Scooby-Doo from 1988 until 1991.

The OG was on cartoon network into the late 90s/early 2000s.

Then there was a What's New Scooby-Doo? from '02 to '06. 

Also the live-action movies in 02 and 04. 

But the youngest kids that Scooby-Doo still resonated with would be around my age - the last of the millennials. I had a Scooby-Doo birthday party and scooby doo bedding at one point. I doubt that's true for any gen z. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

 

The OG was on cartoon network into the late 90s/early 2000s.

Then there was a What's New Scooby-Doo? from '02 to '06. 

Also the live-action movies in 02 and 04. 

But the youngest kids that Scooby-Doo still resonated with would be around my age - the last of the millennials. I had a Scooby-Doo birthday party and scooby doo bedding at one point. I doubt that's true for any gen z. 

Be honest, you still have that Scooby Doo bedding?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Viper said:

I agree here, but I saw bad reviews of it from leftwing nerds who do satire for a living. 

 

 

 

 

That's a tough line to walk and the problem is even if it's done very well anyone who's going to get it is old enough to remember watching Scooby Doo as a kid, and those people aren't going to like a show shitting on it. Who didn't like Scooby Doo? It didn't have a racially diverse cast but it wasn't throwing out racist tropes and it was very inclusive to women and hippies who were getting shit on by the establishment in the late 60s and early 70s.  

It's just not a show that needs to be deconstructed or shit on in any way. 

Plus the two best characters were Shaggy and Scooby and they left them out. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’m definitely not part of the anti-woke crowd but I am part of the crowd that has never found anything entertaining or amusing about Mindy Kaling.

Same here as I just find her annoying. It's ok if she's the seldom used guest character to spice up a show but even her character in the office wasn't one of the better ones. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

It could be worse. Scrappy Doo could be in it. 

How dare you

 

2 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

About 20 years older than you. Scooby-Doo was originally broadcast on CBS from 1969 to 1976, when it moved to ABC. ABC aired various versions of Scooby-Doo until canceling it in 1985, and presented a spin-off featuring the characters as children called A Pup Named Scooby-Doo from 1988 until 1991.

Pup named Scooby was my jam when I was home sick from school

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...