Is there a better action movie than Raiders of the Lost Ark?

dcbc

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

Tell me this: What movie has more iconic set prices that T2?

Escape from the mall

Chased by a tow truck

Escape from the mental hospital

Blowing up Cyberdyne 

Highway chase

Fight in the steel mill

Die Hard

Bruce escaping the initial round up

sneaking around the board room mock ups and watching Takagi get ventilated

welcome to the party pal Heinrich body falling on Winston who drives off a parking lot 

Chased off the roof by a fucking helicopter as the roof explodes

Chased all over the 28th-34th floors, including shoot the glass escape scene.

blowing up the whole lobby and 2nd floor getting 2 with that blast

and of course yippy kai yay Mr Falcon.  

I mean shit it doesnt get anymore iconic than that

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Agree with others that Raiders of the Lost Ark is in a different category than Die Hard, Terminator, etc. I also think everyone is sleeping on the best action movie - Aliens. The cast, the music, the pacing - it's all perfect. Nothing tops it for me.

Aliens is more of a horror movie to me, but it is enough of a crossover that I'll allow it. You're opinion is still wrong, unless you misspelled Die Hard,  but I'll allow it.

14 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Die Hard

Bruce escaping the initial round up

sneaking around the board room mock ups and watching Takagi get ventilated

welcome to the party pal Heinrich body falling on Winston who drives off a parking lot 

Chased off the roof by a fucking helicopter as the roof explodes

Chased all over the 28th-34th floors, including shoot the glass escape scene.

blowing up the whole lobby and 2nd floor getting 2 with that blast

and of course yippy kai yay Mr Falcon.  

I mean shit it doesnt get anymore iconic than that

May I add the elevator shaft scene when he uses the gun sling for repelling gear?

And the fire hose swing!

Im gonna vote Die Hard. 

1 hour ago, dcbc said:
3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:
The effects weren’t.

Shhhh! We don't want George Lucas trying to improve on the practical effects with his special brand of digital ruination.

Well, George wasn’t the director so he couldn’t muck it up like he did Star Wars. Which btw didn’t need fixing and is a better action film than Raiders. I get your point, though.

But they did go back and digitally removed the reflection on the plexiglass barrier between Indy and the snakes in the Well of Souls. Would it have been so hard to fix the disappearing eyeglasses in the time lapse shot of the melting wax head when they opened the Ark?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just re-watched Raiders with my 13yo and 15yo.  They loved it all over again.

Alien, and Aliens, are sci-fi horror.  They're excellent examples of that genre.

Die Hard, is a Christmas Action Movie that is second only to Raiders as being the best Action Movie ever, but second to none in being the best Christmas movie ever.

Terminator maybe #3.

Predator is way down the list for me because of the aforementioned generic-ness of the first half.  Heck, First Blood might be a better action movie than Predator unless you ONLY watch the second half of Predator.

Jason Bourne and Mission Impossible movies are all good action movies. They're just not perfect, like Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Some of the above statements might be controversial.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Captainant said:

Who says a Christmas movie can't be an action movie??

Santa’s North Pole had plenty of action IIRC. 

Like Jaws, I view Raiders as more of an adventure movie than action. Both have their fair share of scares, laughs, drama and edge of your seat moments.  

On 5/8/2023 at 10:37 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

But they did go back and digitally removed the reflection on the plexiglass barrier between Indy and the snakes in the Well of Souls.

I'm surprisingly okay with this correction.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2018 at 9:14 PM, dcbc said:

Watching it with my 9 year old.  Had to do a bit of forcing, but he hasn't blinked since the gunfight scene in Abner's Nepal bar. 

Is there a better action movie?

This isn’t number one on my list , but it’s up there, and this thread reminded me I needed to show it to my kids. I love how Marion’s super power is being an alcoholic. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Marion is introduced by drinking a Sherpa under the table on top of a mountain in Nepal, followed by a 10 minute bar fight. So good. 

Let's not forget that, during the bar fight, her first contribution is handing Indy a bottle of whiskey to use as a weapon.

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

Introducing the 11 and 8 year old to The Matrix now. I don’t understand why they don’t get it. 

My now fourteen year old wasn't interested in it as a 13 year old.  Currently, his favorite movie is The Shawshank Redemption.

Edited by dcbc

On 5/7/2023 at 6:03 PM, PRONG HORN said:

Tow truck and steel mill might be iconic.  

john and his buddy riding off on the motorcycle ("she's not my mother, todd") to stealing from the ATM ("eeeeasy money") through the escape from the mall where arnold pulls the shotgun out of the box of roses and we see how the T1000 operates followed by the motorcycle chase out of the mall and into the canal, was my favorite sequence in any movie for pretty much the duration of my childhood.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Marion is introduced by drinking a Sherpa under the table on top of a mountain in Nepal, followed by a 10 minute bar fight. So good. 

Yea in Raiders of the Lost Ark Marion was one cool fucking chick who could hold her own.  Then they went and made her a blithering idiot who couldn't fend for herself at all in the last one.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

All of these are great movies but I think True Lies is right up there in a action movie with a preposterous story line that just works, with plenty of humor and Jaime Lee Curtis in that strip scene.

They did a great job of tucking her penis away from that scene.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Parliament said:

Where does Aliens fit in the conversation?

On 5/7/2023 at 11:00 AM, Serak The Preparer said:

Agree with others that Raiders of the Lost Ark is in a different category than Die Hard, Terminator, etc. I also think everyone is sleeping on the best action movie - Aliens. The cast, the music, the pacing - it's all perfect. Nothing tops it for me.

It fits on the top of the list. Alien is definitely sci-fi horror but Aliens is action in the same sense that T2, predator, etc., are.

On 5/8/2023 at 8:55 AM, Captainant said:

on topic: it's not the same quality of cinema, but I'll take any of the John Wick movies any day if I'm in the mood for some kickass action and stunts

I watched parts of John Wick on Amazon Prime the other day.

Guess I’m not the target audience because I turned it off with no intention of watching the rest.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/7/2023 at 7:32 PM, longhornmatt said:

James Cameron is the absolute best at pure action set pieces.  I might put T2, Aliens and True Lies 1-2-3 all time for those, and they’re all his movies.   That era was the sweet spot for action with outrageous stunts and violence and special effects, but not yet the complete comic book world where nothing feels real.

Thanks for the reminder. But in my mind, his legacy is forever tainted by Titanic and Avatar. 

On 5/7/2023 at 2:28 PM, Parliament said:

Tell me this: What movie has more iconic set prices that T2?

Escape from the mall

Chased by a tow truck

Escape from the mental hospital

Blowing up Cyberdyne 

Highway chase

Fight in the steel mill

Don’t forget about Slash wailing on his Les Paul in the background. 

9 hours ago, Superhero said:

Guess I’m not the target audience because I turned it off with no intention of watching the rest.

Gun kata/ Gun fu stuff is so lame and aesthetically uninteresting.  For brainless action Iwo Uwais stuff is a better watch

On 5/29/2023 at 9:13 PM, Parliament said:

Where does Aliens fit in the conversation?

On 5/30/2023 at 10:31 AM, Serak The Preparer said:

It fits on the top of the list. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e476na6fy4nkiyu0rcgzb

22 hours ago, Superhero said:

I totally get it.