2023 Texas High School Football

Hiphopopotamos

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Older people use quotes for emphasis. Younger people use them for sarcasm. Which has definitely never led to any intergenerational mixups in meaning.

SNL_0832_Update_Bennett_Brauer.jpg

Maybe I don’t “know what’s going on in the news” and the network bigwigs will send old Bennet and his negative “Q Rating” on a slow boat to Shanghai.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Laga4 said:

McKinney beat Longview last night  23-21.

I hope Beau Vine didn't retire.

I watched this game. Longview killed themselves with so many procedure penalties and the fact they have a not so good QB. That defense is elite - the Lobos will be fine. 

What streams are going on tonight? I’m in PA and HS football here sucks. 

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I watched this game. Longview killed themselves with so many procedure penalties and the fact they have a not so good QB. That defense is elite - the Lobos will be fine. 

If you have no other options, Rockwall always streams their two teams for free

https://www.rockwallisd.com/

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

SA Vets beat Harlendale easily but Peoples didn’t play. Guess he was banged up from the scrimmage last week. Play SA Taft next week.

I think am going to go see Seguin vs Alamo Heights tonight.

I always liked Harlandale. Most consistent inner city program in SA by far and they usually somewhat hold their own against superior teams. 

Michael Terry is a player to watch for AH. Dude can ball.

Shiny new toy on display tonight in Melissa.

Good on that community. That place is nicer than many small colleges and they will host a lot of playoff games in that stadium, for a lot of NE DFW teams into the future decades. Let alone a “jewel” for their own school to be proud of.

Hook’em!!!

3 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

We are going to watch Euless Trinity vs Prosper.  

Supposed to be on NFHS,  but if you want to check it out it's usually better on Trinity Sports Network.  

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Is that on streaming website they used a lot during Covid still a thing? It was like $10 for like all HS games 

NFHS is $12 if you go monthly.  The feeds are hit and miss. 

Probably worth $12 to try it out,  lots of HS football on it.  

Melissa is absolutely dominating Argyle from halfway through the first to halftime - they’re bigger, faster and stronger. 22-7 at halftime. That said Argyle has a very good QB and not good WRs - several perfect passes not caught  

Melissa has a ~250 lb DE that’s scored 2 rushing TDs (with cuts and stuff arms!) and was the punter, too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Melissa is absolutely dominating Argyle from halfway through the first to halftime - they’re bigger, faster and stronger. 22-7 at halftime. That said Argyle has a very good QB and not good WRs - several perfect passes not caught  

Melissa has a ~250 lb DE that’s scored 2 rushing TDs (with cuts and stuff arms!) and was the punter, too. 

Is that Nigel Smith?

Looks like the Denison Yellowjackets will win their 11th straight Battle of the Ax against the arch rival Sherman Bearcats.  35-0 at the start of the fourth quarter.  This was the 125th playing of the game making it the oldest high school rivalry in the nation.  It was also the hottest on record with temps at 104 at kickoff.

edited to add:  Final Denison 42 Sherman 0.  Temp down to 92.

Edited by bmbmd
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

Fun scores from week 0:

Yesterday

Denton Ryan 27 New Braunfels 24

Boerne Champion 37  Laredo US 27

Texarkana 48 Frisco Lone Star 40

McKinney 23  Longview 21

G-P 25 Calallen 7

SA Sam Houston 18  SA YMLA 12

Tonight

Desoto 39 Allen 7

LT 13 Arl Martin 6

Vandegrift 27 Dripping 7

Westlake 31 Ridge Point 21

Steele 52 Brennan 0

SA Johnson 24 Judson 21

Dunc 34 SOC 13

NS 38 Woodlands 17

Weiss 37 Round Rock 7

Reagan 17 SV 16

San Benito 28 Browns Vets 21

Aledo 50 Parish Episc 35

Harlingen 12 South 7

Alamo Heights 51 Seguin 48   

Brownwood 35 Wylie 21

Melissa 43 Argyle 14

Flour Bluff 42 Boerne 35 

WOS 40 Nederland 34

ROHO 41 Old High 0  

Anna 37 Decatur 23

China Spring 35 Lorena 13

Waco LV 35 Kennedale 28

Chapel Hill 71 Gilmer 53

Carthage 30 Kilgore 27  

Grandview 35 Glen Rose 7

Pleasant Grove 10  Brock 7

Hitchcock 43 Refugio 36

Edna 41 E Bernard 27  

Gunter 53 SA Cornerstone 7

Jim Ned 34 Hawley 12

Hallettsville 41 Shiner 8

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Durham is 2024.

12 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Desoto 39 Allen 7

So when does Allen finally do what’s right for the students and build another high school? Them stacking the deck ain’t working for them anymore anyways.

• Hook 'Em 2

We are going to watch Euless Trinity vs Prosper.  
Supposed to be on NFHS,  but if you want to check it out it's usually better on Trinity Sports Network.  
As a born and bred north Texan, if you had said Prosper is playing Trinity to me 30 years ago I would have laughed and changed the subject to something not batshit crazy.

For those that aren't aware, not that long ago Prosper was just a sleepy farming community without many working farms while Trinity was in Euless near DFW airport.
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 12:24 PM, BrazilHorn said:

Just in case any of you were planning on doing any exhaustive research into the Austin High Football team I can save you the trouble.

They won't be very good again this year. 4 wins is ceiling. (Like stars line up right and no injuries and lots of breaks go their way)

1st string is decent but falls off a cliff after that. Offense has no real threats and defense will be on field for like 80% of game.

That will be $9.95

Stony Point 53 
Austin High 0

Stony Point 24
Austin High 21

Maybe Austin High won't be as shitty as they were last year? 

• Hook 'Em 1

8c2e43cb5db3fc65ffba01855a3ff0fa.jpg

Parish wasn’t taking too kindly to the ass kicking. Aledo took a touchback on opening kick off then first play was a 75 yard swing pass for a td. Parish had a decent td drive. Aledo followed with a 4 play td drive. Then had a pick six on the next drive. 21-7 good guys with 6+ minutes still in first. Parish never got within 2 tds again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Fun scores from week 0:

Yesterday

Denton Ryan 27 New Braunfels 24

Boerne Champion 37  Laredo US 27

Texarkana 48 Frisco Lone Star 40

McKinney 23  Longview 21

G-P 25 Calallen 7

SA Sam Houston 18  SA YMLA 12

Tonight

Desoto 39 Allen 7

LT 13 Arl Martin 6

Vandegrift 27 Dripping 7

Westlake 31 Ridge Point 21

Steele 52 Brennan 0

SA Johnson 24 Judson 21

Dunc 34 SOC 13

NS 38 Woodlands 17

Weiss 37 Round Rock 7

Reagan 17 SV 16

San Benito 28 Browns Vets 21

Aledo 50 Parish Episc 35

Harlingen 12 South 7

Alamo Heights 51 Seguin 48   

Brownwood 35 Wylie 21

Melissa 43 Argyle 14

Flour Bluff 42 Boerne 35 

WOS 40 Nederland 34

ROHO 41 Old High 0  

Anna 37 Decatur 23

China Spring 35 Lorena 13

Waco LV 35 Kennedale 28

Chapel Hill 71 Gilmer 53

Carthage 30 Kilgore 27  

Grandview 35 Glen Rose 7

Pleasant Grove 10  Brock 7

Hitchcock 43 Refugio 36

Edna 41 E Bernard 27  

Gunter 53 SA Cornerstone 7

Jim Ned 34 Hawley 12

Hallettsville 41 Shiner 8

Let's not overlook the Anderson Trojans shellacking the McCallum Knights 42-0 in the Taco Shack Bowl last night.  Texas (baseball) signee Ed Small was the key player for the Trojans in their victory.

Anderson scores early and often, runs away with 42-0 Taco Shack Bowl win over McCallum

https://www.kxan.com/sports-general/high-school-sports/for-all-the-tortillas-anderson-mccallum-clash-in-22nd-annual-taco-shack-bowl/

• Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, Helobious said:

I always liked Harlandale. Most consistent inner city program in SA by far and they usually somewhat hold their own against superior teams. 

Michael Terry is a player to watch for AH. Dude can ball.

CSB, Harlandale's former AD of 20ish years, retired 6 or 7 years ago, was head coach in Weslaco for a couple of years in the 90s. My dad was on his coaching staff and our families are still pretty close. So I've always had a soft spot for Harlandale.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watched my beloved Chaps on the stream. I’m feel how Clemson fans must have felt for the last two years hoping DJ Uiagalelei would finally put it all together. Our QB, God bless him, has the size and arm but something is missing. You hope after the off-season, he somehow would come back as this bastion of skill and confidence. And then you see the him do the exact same things, like panic, bail on the pocket, throw balls to nowhere, etc. Sigh. 

We have a great little RB, but we run that “you know the QB is never keeping the ball” scheme so the defense doesn’t even bother worrying about the QB keeper, about it, lulz. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Watched my beloved Chaps on the stream. I’m feel how Clemson fans must have felt for the last two years hoping DJ Uiagalelei would finally put it all together. Our QB, God bless him, has the size and arm but something is missing. You hope after the off-season, he somehow would come back as this bastion of skill and confidence. And then you see the him do the exact same things, like panic, bail on the pocket, throw balls to nowhere, etc. Sigh. 

We have a great little RB, but we run that “you know the QB is never keeping the ball” scheme so the defense doesn’t even bother worrying about the QB keeper, about it, lulz. 

I’m guessing what the QB is missing is Todd Dodge. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Stony Point 53 
Austin High 0

Stony Point 24
Austin High 21

Maybe Austin High won't be as shitty as they were last year? 

It was definitely a much closer game for sure. SP lost like three D1 players from offense the prior year. Tough loss last night. Kind of a defeat from jaws of victory deal

I had free time last night so I decided to watch my high school on their YouTube channel. Lampasas was playing Elgin. Won the game by knocking away a potential tying TD pass as time expired. Lampasas will never, and thank God for this, waste money on one of these McMansion stadiums. They’re playing on the same grass field they’ve had since FDR’s first term in office. Grass fields are just more fun to play on. Out of nowhere in the 3rd quarter some of the sprinklers went off. I had to laugh a little bit at that considering the flak they have caught for watering the field during the mega drought down there. It still looked pretty dead to me, but I guess that’s to be expected playing football games on the surface of the sun.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, ousux said:

As a born and bred north Texan, if you had said Prosper is playing Trinity to me 30 years ago I would have laughed and changed the subject to something not batshit crazy.

For those that aren't aware, not that long ago Prosper was just a sleepy farming community without many working farms while Trinity was in Euless near DFW airport.

Yes. In the late 70's my little brother took his first coaching job in Prosper. We visited him and the area was how you described it. All the "small farm and ranch towns" north of Dallas have been growing for years.

3 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Watch too (rooting for the other guys)... Hoping just 1st game jitters for Chaps, but they look like they could struggle this year. Like said QB isn't a threat and if you focus on Keyser they stall out quickly. Keyser is currently their only offense.

For Ridge Point...well won't matter, Atascocita and North Shore will block their path again, although they may actually fall to DII this year or next due to a new HS that opened.

If you’re watching the HS football game on ESPN, the jerseys worn by St Francis (white team) would not be allowed by the TXHS Football or the NCAA, as the numbers don’t contrast enough for the color of jersey. If it weren’t for close-up shots on tv, you wouldn’t be able to make out their numbers.

Hook’em!!!

If you’re watching the HS football game on ESPN, the jerseys worn by St Francis (white team) would not be allowed by the TXHS Football or the NCAA, as the numbers don’t contrast enough for the color of jersey. If it weren’t for close-up shots on tv, you wouldn’t be able to make out their numbers.

Hook’em!!!

• Like 1