The official 2024 GOP Presidential Candidate Clown Car thread!

horn4life

10 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

What do you think Trump's nickname for Rick Scott will be? It's got to be something that references Scott's skin color while at the same time plausibly (however improbably) a description of something else.

Dick Scott

Are we going back to 2016 with 15 republicans on the stage at the same time?

Wouldn't shock me if Trump or a proxy are encouraging others to run, if not flat out offering them something in his cabinet.  Trump needs 0 opponents or 10+ going into the primaries.

• Rage+1 1

I know we think little of them, but surely they understand basic math.  You can parlay a decent showing into a cabinet promise or high profile ambassadorship.  But you need to certainly need to be above 3%, usually at least 5-10%.  That's real momentum you can swing behind the favorite. 

8 people polling at 1% can't leverage "their" aggregate 7-8% into a single cabinet post.  That's not how cabinet seats work.  If they're all just jockeying for #2 to Trump so he'll throw 'em a bone, that's fine.  But that's an awful lot of time and money and burned reputation just to get Sec. of Labor.  Trump isn't complex, you don't have to go through all these machinations.  Just put out complimentary social media posts about him, rave about him on FoxNews, join him at rallies, hold massive fundraisers in your home state, etc.  You can just as easily get a cabinet post by stroking his ego in the media rather than spending 15 grueling months on the campaign trail and almost certainly burning yourself on the 2026 nomination possibility.  

Maybe this is all a long-game by the simulation to deliver this joke to Greg Abbott, "Dropped out with 1%?  That's only 1 more than I got and I can't even run."  

Running in the primary and losing isn't very risky in today's political world. Yeah, you probably lose a lot of hours but you get your name on the national stage. And there is a slight chance that you somehow catch on. 

Trump doesn't want to be on the stage alone with Ron so he needs Scott, Nikki, etc. up there as well.  He needs to keep Ron at 30% or below in the primaries. 

There is no chance that Tim Scott thinks he's winning the Presidency. He's running for other reasons.

Yep, this is exactly like the run up to 2016. Given that A) Republican primaries are winner-take-all, and B) Trump is the only candidate that can consistently get 30% of the primary vote, in a 20-man battle royal, Trump wins all the delegates with 25 to 30 percent. 

5 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Yep, this is exactly like the run up to 2016. Given that A) Republican primaries are winner-take-all, and B) Trump is the only candidate that can consistently get 30% of the primary vote, in a 20-man battle royal, Trump wins all the delegates with 25 to 30 percent. 

I believe that the GOP state groups have until this Fall to decide on the winner take all, proportional or some hybrid. The hybrid might be that you need to win a certain % to win any delegates. I imagine there are many fights about this behind closed doors. Those hidden fights may decide the candidate.

I think with the embrace and resurgence of more open racism among my Republican friends since Trump has come on the scene makes the election of a black Republican as President, about the same as the actual representation currently of black republicans nationally.  Of the 535 seats available in both the House and Senate the GOP's black representation is what 3 of 535? 

It's more a raise your profile and profit, no chance ever he is elected with an (R) next to his name.  Not in 2028, not ever.  

4 hours ago, horn4life said:

It's more a raise your profile and profit, no chance ever he is elected with an (R) next to his name.  Not in 2028, not ever.  

He's pushing 60 and sees a lot of Republicans 15-20 years younger than him who are working on positioning themselves for the GOP after Trump. Age drives a lot of these guys - only one old fatass can pull it off in the GOP, and that's Trump. If Scott can't position himself for 2028 (even if it's for VP), well 2032, he'll be pushing 70 and there will be even more Republicans who are 20-30 years younger than him that think they can pull it off. And people like him are doing the math, and if Texas or Florida flip between now and 2032 or AZ/WI/PA/MI swing further to the left (and GA stays blue, and maybe even NC flips), then the GOP is done.

Which brings up another issue - he's been in politics for nearly 30 years - nearly as long as Abbott has, and these guys tend to think it's their turn.  Both parties are inflicted with this disease.

And he could also be positioning himself to be Trump's VP candidate. He could be entering with Trump's blessing, and they won't attack one another, and he'll instead focus on taking DeSantis down and helping clear the field of Nikki, etc.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Georgia and North Carolina were less than 1-2% difference in the Presidential, and current trends show them moving even more left (at the least, Georgia stays D).

Arizona - 11

Georgia - 16

Michigan - 16

Nevada - 6

North Carolina - 15

Pennsylvania - 20

Wisconsin - 10

That's nearly 100 electoral votes, and if those states push farther to the left, Florida and Texas won't even matter.

We're going to get a nutty election next year, which will drive even more Dems in more states to vote.

23 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Rick “not a real Scot”?

Dark money Rick?

Gritsy Ricky?

Rick’s Life Matters?

Ol’ Sunset Rick?

Those are all way too clever for Trump.  Heck, he probably refers to them privately as White Scott and Black Scott. 

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Interesting thread

I still don't think DeSantis has a shot.

But, they are going to spend the money in IA and NH to find out 

Dubya in 2000 was the last republican to win the Iowa caucus and win the nomination.  There wasn't a 2004 caucus since Dubya was the incumbent.

I've never understood why candidates drop their drawers for the rubes in Iowa.  They don't make a shit bit of difference.  Fuck Iowa.

• Hook 'Em 2

A 99-county strategy in Iowa for a guy who, for all his faults, does appear to be able to squat down and spin some folksy yarns...is not that bad an idea.  

Will anyone on twitter or the next few weeks of media bother to ask him about the Floridian law that prohibits him from engaging in such a practice while governor?  Nah, 'cause you guys are too busy hosting town halls with Himmler's grandchildren.  

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

Can anyone explain to me what the Republican agenda is? Is there something they actually want to accomplish besides getting elected? At least 20 years ago you could say lower taxes and fewer regulations for their corporate buddies but now what the hell is it?

Honest answer to this is a bunch of pretty bad foreign policy and stuffing the judiciary with ideologues. As far as domestic policy, I have no idea. Monstrous deficits via tax cuts for the rich?

On 5/29/2023 at 3:14 PM, Michael Knight said:

Can anyone explain to me what the Republican agenda is? Is there something they actually want to accomplish besides getting elected?

It's called a fascist theocracy, ruled by white Christian America. It's been building since Reagan, right through the Bushes, Perot, Tea Party, and Trump-MAGA. They've stacked the Supreme Court, they got Roe overturned, they're overturning environmental laws, they're banning books, they're openly targeting POC, LBTQIA+, immigrants, doctors, nurses, educators, librarians, scientists, election officials, and "woke" corporations, all while worshipping AR-15s and doing nothing to stop mass shootings of kids. 

The level of political denialism and willful blindness in CR is just astonishing. And depressing. 

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 12:00 PM, BevoAbyss said:

It's called a fascist theocracy, ruled by white Christian America. It's been building since Reagan, right through the Bushes, Perot, Tea Party, and Trump-MAGA. They've stacked the Supreme Court, they got Roe overturned, they're overturning environmental laws, they're banning books, they're openly targeting POC, LBTQIA+, immigrants, doctors, nurses, educators, librarians, scientists, election officials, and "woke" corporations, all while worshipping AR-15s and doing nothing to stop mass shootings of kids. 

The level of political denialism and willful blindness in CR is just astonishing. And depressing. 

It was a rhetorical question. I find it more astonishing that your take after being here for a minute is that everyone is downplaying the threat, and that's you're the only one who sees it for what it is.

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Tapper used to push back on this stuff and lately he just lets it slide. This is absolutely incorrect:

And Jake Tapper just sits there. I used to have some respect for that guy, but he just slurped up the new CNN leader's mandate. Fuck CNN. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 6/5/2023 at 12:14 PM, horn4life said:

And Mike Pence files his paperwork.  I believe Pence is honestly and truly the most non-principled principled man I have ever seen.

He had one good day. One. I’m glad he did but that was the exception, not the rule. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2