“Perfect” songs

Doc Daneeka

I’ve read, but cannot verify, that there was a study showing people most often identify music as “the best” if came out when they were in their late teens to early 20s, except that music from the late 70s to early 80s almost universally is more liked even by people who didn’t grow up during that time. That made me wonder what y’all might consider “perfect” songs. Songs that are like “How can anyone not like this song, regardless of what genres they prefer?” Songs that are timeless. Songs that always get turned up. Songs that almost give you hope for the human race. 

There are a lot of hard rock songs that I think kick ass, but I could understand if someone wanted to pass. Same with country, etc. Here are a few of mine which, granted, largely fall into a similar style that I like. These are like “This, THIS, is a masterpiece.” What would y’all throw into the mix?

For me the list starts with Aretha's cover of "Respect".

I get the Boston reference, but let's be honest, however great Brad Delp was as a singer, and however groundbreaking Tom Scholz' guitar tone was, his lyrics were really mediocre.  Still, they ruled FM radio like no other in the late 70s.

I'd put "Black Dog" on the list, it's a mind-blowing syncopation that very few players can figure out.  Plus, I don't think Led Zeppelin lifted it verbatim from American blues, which is unusual for them.

Kinda hard to dispute "Let It Be", too.

• Hook 'Em 1

in no particular order

Seger:  Night Moves (youthful inexperience)

Beatles:  Yesterday (poignancy about what once was)

Green:  Love and Happiness (groove)

EWF:  September (summer is over)

Jones:  Bartender's Blues (pour me another glass of regret while I'm suffering)

VH:  You Really Got Me (rock out)

The Band:  The Weight (driving lonesome highways)

Marley:  Redemption Song (overcoming yourself)

Fitzgerald / Armstrong:  Summertime (perfect voice coupled with one-of-a-kind musicianship)

• Hook 'Em 1

In trying to think of my "perfect" songs, I settled in on songs that nailed both the songwriting and the performance.  It's why I can't include anything by my favorite, Paul Westerberg.  He's always a mess.

But this one is a great example of a guy who can't sing all that well -- he's a bit like Springsteen, he's a better singer than you think --  but whose vocals don't detract from the terrific song, the amazing lyrics, the band:

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

May not be in the spirit of the thread, exactly, but most of my perfect songs that I never tire of tend to be orchestral, and often from soundtracks.

That's probably swayed by the movie visual because for me the combination of powerful imagery and music is unbeatable.

And pretty much any John Williams music. But I used to blast this one for my kids while driving. So an added nostalgia and sentimentality factor there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Regarding music that is generally liked by most and that “perfect,” song, I have always thought that a bunch of Tom Petty and the HB’s songs fall into that category. (I’m also thinking about song structure and lyrics as well)

Just a few examples.

• Hook 'Em 4

In trying to think of my "perfect" songs, I settled in on songs that nailed both the songwriting and the performance.  It's why I can't include anything by my favorite, Paul Westerberg.  He's always a mess.
But this one is a great example of a guy who can't sing all that well -- he's a bit like Springsteen, he's a better singer than you think --  but whose vocals don't detract from the terrific song, the amazing lyrics, the band:

I was gonna say “Road to Ensenada” or “Red Dirt Girl” by Emmylou, along these same lines.

Dylan famously told the Beatles and the Stones in their early days that he could have written their early hits, but they never could have written Mr. Tambourine Man.

I'd offer that Bob couldn't have written this. He'd never risk betraying his mythological self. Tight. Remorseful. The realization way too early that one's youthful dream of escape don't hold up to the realities of the adult world.

Bonus version with the E Street Band showing how to let a song breathe then layering all their talents in the end.

Edited by GhostOfTomJoad
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

For me the list starts with Aretha's cover of "Respect".

I get the Boston reference, but let's be honest, however great Brad Delp was as a singer, and however groundbreaking Tom Scholz' guitar tone was, his lyrics were really mediocre.  Still, they ruled FM radio like no other in the late 70s.

I'd put "Black Dog" on the list, it's a mind-blowing syncopation that very few players can figure out.  Plus, I don't think Led Zeppelin lifted it verbatim from American blues, which is unusual for them.

Kinda hard to dispute "Let It Be", too.

Yeah, I was going for something completely different. 

You have to pick a song that some random person is going to listen to and say, “Yeah, man, I really like that song.”  Not what you’d pick as your “perfect” song. A song that it’s pretty likely some guy off the street is going to like. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/3/2023 at 6:25 PM, jimmyjazz said:

The master of the opening line.

Ain't that the truth.

It's alright if you love me
It's alright if you don't
I'm not afraid of you running away
Honey, I get the feeling, you won't

What a Wonderful World performed by Louis Armstrong.  Simple music, simple lyrics and a little over two minutes long.  There were many artists in 1967 that could have recorded the song, but I understand that the songwriters wrote the song specifically for Armstrong.  His raspy voice was the voice of experience - the voice that had seen and lived hard times.  The message of seeing the beauty and goodness in the world is really punctuated by Armstrong in a way that would have been lost with other singers.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Satisfaction—you know who, and crank it up!

Fire and Rain—James Taylor

Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground—Willie

Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door—Dylan

probably many more to be added to this list, but I think these are songwriting perfection for their moment in time

A LOT of Motown falls under this category. For instance, find a flaw with the Isley Brothers’ “This Old Hear of Mine.”

I think The Beach Boys— yes, behind Pet Sounds— don’t get their due. “Little Surfer Girl.”

And George Strait is the greatest hat act of all time and at his best, the songs are perfect. So many could go here, “Amarillo By Morning” maybe first but how about this tearjerker from a terrible move— “King of Broken Hearts.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

When I think of perfect songs, I think of songs that wrote themselves. That would have eventually been written because they had to be. They arent necessarily my personal favorites but they are songs that will always stay with you, that are unique and flow perfectly from beginning to end.

Edited by UTGrad98
because that's why
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 3/3/2023 at 7:32 PM, Post Oak said:

I heard that song a lot when it was out. I liked it okay but I wasn’t crazy about it or anything. Nice song.

The first time I heard Black Pumas they were playing that song. It was kind of a perfect moment. I had fallen asleep watching Colbert and they were the musical guest. It was fall 2020 during pandemic isolation so Stephen was broadcasting from his hone, the “band” didn’t perform “live.” I missed the beginning of the song and woke up to a familiar tune. I couldn’t place it right away but I recognized that theme.

All alone in the dark, such a peaceful, mellow, and slightly mournful song. That voice sounded so good and the guitar so tasteful. I’m a jaded old guy and don’t get turned on by new acts very often. It hit me that it was the Tracy Chapman song, and I was proud that I could recall both artist and title. But it wasn’t because I knew the song that I was so pleased. The nostalgia factor didn’t hurt but it was just so nice to hear actual guitars and someone actually singing, and singing beautifully without any digital enhancement.

Those were lonely times and lying alone listening, it really hit the spot. Those guys play so well together. What a great match. I’ve since heard other songs by the band, mostly on the late night talk shows, and I’ve liked everything I’ve heard.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 3/6/2023 at 7:54 PM, Deej said:

I love that band. I saw them at the WOMAD Festival (World Of Music And Dance) at Buckeye Lake on 9/10/93. Two stages, a bunch of artists from all over like Sinead O’Connor, Lenny Kravitz, and Ziggy Marley. Peter Gabriel closed the main stage but Crowded House stole the show. They got members of the audience to build a big human pyramid.

That’s a great song but I’d go with this one:

• 10 months later...

LOL.  My dad band covers Lodi.  I demanded it.  We only do a couple of covers, and none well, but that song is great, regardless of what Lodi residents might think.

Narrator:  there is also a Lodi, NJ.  I'm pretty sure Fogerty was writing about the California town, but I'm not certain.  Regardless, I just read it as a metaphor for some shitty place where one gets stuck, perhaps not even a musician.

• Hook 'Em 2

I didn't realize there was a Lodi, NJ. This guy knew the song was about his California town and wasn't happy about it. Since he was a customer, I figured I shouldn't press the matter and let it go. But I really wanted to ask, "So getting out of your hometown is the subject of one of the greatest rock songs of all time. How does that feel?"

• 2 weeks later...