45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

15 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The boomers are gonna blow most of it before they go.  That’s just my observation from a really small sample size.

Yeah, anytime I watch network TV or go on facebook, it's a constant barrage of ads trying to part old gullible people from their money.  They won't have any left.

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not exactly a counterpoint, but everyone keeps saying that when Boomers die it's going to be the greatest transfer of wealth in human history. Not sure if it's accurate or not (the hyperbole) but there are suddenly going to be a lot of Millenials and Gen Zers with houses, or the money to buy houses overnight. That will change things.

Assuming all the old selfish fucks don't give it all to Kenneth Copeland and his ilk before they fucking croak. 

I've seen multiple presentations by high net worth insurance carriers such as Chubb as well as financial planners discuss this very thing -- we are about to see the greatest transfer of wealth in the history of the world.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesfinancecouncil/2023/03/09/the-great-wealth-transfer-will-radically-change-financial-services/?sh=38ed467b5339

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yeah, anytime I watch network TV or go on facebook, it's a constant barrage of ads trying to part old gullible people from their money.  They won't have any left.

That’s part of it.  Healthcare is part of it.  But the primary part is that I don’t think they have any desire to leave anything behind.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I've seen multiple presentations by high net worth insurance carriers such as Chubb as well as financial planners discuss this very thing -- we are about to see the greatest transfer of wealth in the history of the world.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesfinancecouncil/2023/03/09/the-great-wealth-transfer-will-radically-change-financial-services/?sh=38ed467b5339

Lol at this 

Fintech, a portmanteau of "financial technology", refers to firms using new technology to compete with traditional financial methods in the delivery of financial services

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

That's just not how it works. The boomer generation was the generation of peace, love, and rock and roll as kids. '67 the summer of love. Gonna change the world. 

Then they got old and became the generation of hate, fear, and fascism. Generations of humans become shittier as they age because they succumb to fear about the changing world different from what they knew when they were kids. 

Pretty fair post. Nicely balanced by second paragraph. I wonder if the peace, love, and r&r boomers recalled from the 60s were actually the majority of boomers. There was more diversity (among the white people; Black people were still rare among us.) in the generation than the icons of the 60s  indicate. Mostly what we see are college kids and radicals from that time. 

Good things were achieved back then regarding the environment, safety nets for the unfortunate, and putting a (temporary) restraining hand on the nation's inclination to invade and bomb other people. But it all may have gone sour as you describe. 

If you've come across some poll or other information about what percentage of boomers are part of the anti-republic traitors, I'd be interested in seeing it. I and my boomer friends are not as described by you in general, but like hangs out with like. I do know a great many of my high school classmates are clearly conservatives/likely Trumpers from looking on facebook.

I don't like generational generalizations, but sometimes they are indeed apt. My state has gone to shit. Maybe the vast majority of my generation has as well. To borrow from those times, "It's in to be a cruel and frightened fascist!"

I do know white men should step aside. It won't happen, but it should.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not exactly a counterpoint, but everyone keeps saying that when Boomers die it's going to be the greatest transfer of wealth in human history. Not sure if it's accurate or not (the hyperbole) but there are suddenly going to be a lot of Millenials and Gen Zers with houses, or the money to buy houses overnight. That will change things.

Assuming all the old selfish fucks don't give it all to Kenneth Copeland and his ilk before they fucking croak. 

it will be, but that will be a really small group of people to whom wealth will be transferred, and on top of that many Boomers will have been bled dry with medical overbilling and other vultures who fuck people over on their way out of this world.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Perhaps but I'm just reporting what I see first-hand among my kids' (18 and 15) generation. Today's kids are far more tolerant of alternative lifestyles, LGBTQ+/ethnic, etc. They're far more engaged on social issues, they're more philanthropic (obviously, the kids older than mine) than previous generations and they're way less religious. It will take time -- and, yes, there are still going to be rich, entitled, male assholes to contend with -- but things will begin to pivot as the my parents and their peer group (mid/late 70's now) start dying off. I believe that. (Assuming AI doesn't kill us all off first.)

Dunning-Kruger Effect on full display

Yes the desperation from the right on these lost social issues is pretty funny. They trot out obvious losers like Charlie Kirk and Ben Shapiro in a futile effort to make old-school homophobia and antifeminism "cool" and they shamelessly tried (and are still trying) to ride the coattails of the incel/red pill movement.

With the exception of a very vocal minority contingent of clout-hungry terminally online losers trying to drive engagement, the overwhelming majority of normal people in the younger generations either don't care about these issues whatsoever or are firmly in the pro-progress, pro-tolerance, pro-not being a dick side of the issues. Conservatism has never been, and will never be, "cool."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

10 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

it will be, but that will be a really small group of people to whom wealth will be transferred, and on top of that many Boomers will have been bled dry with medical overbilling and other vultures who fuck people over on their way out of this world.

Eh. The medical billing I'm not willing to speak on, although I get where you're coming from. But I somewhat disagree on the "few" to which it will be transferred. There, specifically (I assume), be a lot of homes that transfer hands. Homes to kids who haven't been able to afford them, with notes paid. Are those sold and the money split among siblings? Maybe. I don't know. But there is reason to believe a large transfer of assets at least will allow some of these kids the resources to get into the housing market, at the least. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Eh. The medical billing I'm not willing to speak on, although I get where you're coming from. But I somewhat disagree on the "few" to which it will be transferred. There, specifically (I assume), be a lot of homes that transfer hands. Homes to kids who haven't been able to afford them, with notes paid. Are those sold and the money split among siblings? Maybe. I don't know. But there is reason to believe a large transfer of assets at least will allow some of these kids the resources to get into the housing market, at the least. 

Not if Magnum had anything to say about it.

default-large.jpg.464e4c35f97fd0a6aa937b80db6ce67f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That is my only chance lmao. Unfortunately, the house is in one of the shittiest towns in Texas

• Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Pretty fair post. Nicely balanced by second paragraph. I wonder if the peace, love, and r&r boomers recalled from the 60s were actually the majority of boomers. There was more diversity (among the white people; Black people were still rare among us.) in the generation than the icons of the 60s  indicate. Mostly what we see are college kids and radicals from that time. 

Good things were achieved back then regarding the environment, safety nets for the unfortunate, and putting a (temporary) restraining hand on the nation's inclination to invade and bomb other people. But it all may have gone sour as you describe. 

If you've come across some poll or other information about what percentage of boomers are part of the anti-republic traitors, I'd be interested in seeing it. I and my boomer friends are not as described by you in general, but like hangs out with like. I do know a great many of my high school classmates are clearly conservatives/likely Trumpers from looking on facebook.

I don't like generational generalizations, but sometimes they are indeed apt. My state has gone to shit. Maybe the vast majority of my generation has as well. To borrow from those times, "It's in to be a cruel and frightened fascist!"

The peace, love, and rock and roll were always a minority group among boomers.   Those folks did not grow into hate.  They greatly helped elect Clinton, Obama, and Biden.  Folks generally confuse the boomer political demographic.  The conservative component has had the majority, but does not represent the whole.  As usual, as always. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Foosters said:

You're learning about the concept of jury trials for the first time today? 

You've seriously never considered that juries can get it wrong? That innocent people get convicted and guilty ones walk?

Stop being such a fucking idiot 

"Wait! DON'T EAT THE CROW!"

*looks at empty plate like Captain Oveur*

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

You want to know who really got fucking screwed? Millennials and Gen Z,

Truth. The post-war economic boom is over. The world will change due to climate and science denial. A lot of terrible indicators for those generations but moreso for Greta Thunberg's generation whatever their name is.

I will write again that someone white and born in America the year I was will have had the easiest of lives that common people have ever had. I was too young for Viet Nam. I missed the draft. I could fuck around taking chances with my livelihood and know that I would never land hard. 

I'm glad of that. I had no control over that. I'm horrified at what we and all generations that have influence are creating for the generation now being born. They will look at pictures of us in our great cars and huge SUVs and hate all of us. All of us. And they should.

The post-boomers didn't get the breaks we did. Job situations suck. The college debt system is a despicable racket that should bring Congress, the banks, and the colleges under indictment under RICO.  All that political garbage about leaving debt to our children or doing things for the sake of children is just that. Garbage. We. Don't. Give. A. Shit.

That should be on the dollar instead of the ludicrous In God We Trust.

Okay, I'm going to contact a publisher to see if they have any interest in the novel I've written over several posts here. I seem to have some passion about these things.  

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

A shit ton of Greatest Generation vets came home to heartily embrace segregation and oppose women’s access to men dominated fields.   Broad brush acclaim is like broad brush denigration- never warranted. 

Yes.

I'll just post that the discussion here has been very good. Some of you younger people aren't dumbasses after all.

spacer.png

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

Considering that he's admitted to intentionally taking the documents and there's no legal defense for his conduct, I'd give anything to know what his current team of ass clown lawyers is telling him about their strategy and his chances of beating this. As far as I can tell, jury nullification or Cannon dismissing the indictment just because are their only possible paths to victory. 

I mean, he doesn't even have a team yet, since his last team left.

Still hasn't found lawyers dumb enough to take the job.

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

The main difference between boomers and millennials and gen z, is boomers spent their 20s and 30s accumulating wealth and building a nest egg. 

Funny. I seem to recall chasing tail and snorting all my money up my nose at that age.

CE6EE404-0175-447B-BF66-04FDE4BB7FA8.gif.6cb469650c68598da1701803166e7739.gif

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe you know different boomers from me, but many have been or will be foreclosed on or can't retire due to bills and debt. Even if homes are inherited, unaffordable taxes, insurance, maintenance, HOA bullshit stand in the way for many Gen Z and Millennials that are barely making ends meet in a world where wages have been flat for like 30 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Maybe you know different boomers from me, but many have been or will be foreclosed on or can't retire due to bills and debt. Even if homes are inherited, unaffordable taxes, insurance, maintenance, HOA bullshit stand in the way for many Gen Z and Millennials that are barely making ends meet in a world where wages have been flat for like 30 years.

My sister and I have already agreed any property we inherit in suburban hell is being sold and split in half. Don’t want it, don’t need it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

My sister and I have already agreed any property we inherit in suburban hell is being sold and split in half. Don’t want it, don’t need it. 

That's about the extent of the "generational wealth" the younger generations can expect. Maybe it was a longwinded way of saying that a ton of Boomers are incredibly bad and stupid with money. Here's a live look at what the "reading of the will" is gonna look like (yes, i know that's not a real thing but I'm being metaphorical)

dumb-and-dumber-iou.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

That's just not how it works. The boomer generation was the generation of peace, love, and rock and roll as kids. '67 the summer of love. Gonna change the world. 

Then they got old and became the generation of hate, fear, and fascism. Generations of humans become shittier as they age because they succumb to fear about the changing world different from what they knew when they were kids. 

Growing up in the sixties, I can assure you that a significant part of that generation were not the stereotypical hippy, San Francisco Summer of Love for a millisecond adherents.   That was mostly liberal college peeps, and the smattering of “if my parents are for it, I’m against it” natural generation knee jerk opposition to their parents.  

You’d still get your ass kicked for having long hair in much of America, and for sure the rural part.     The ass-kickers are all Maggats now, for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

There will be some transfer of wealth, but lets be honest about wealth distribution in this country. 

image.png.1ac9a6ecaeb27840559271404d4d054f.png

Data source

The bottom 90% of the country is working with 32% of the wealth. Approximately the same percentage that the top 1% holds. That results in median wealth of about ~$250K for people over the age of 55 in this country. That net wealth includes real estate holdings. If you're passing that down to multiple children, its a nice bump but its not life changing money. 

Additionally its getting expensive as fuck to be old in this country. I observed that as my mom just passed this spring from Alzheimer's. She spent the last 5 years of her life in assisted living with the last 2 years in memory care.  The places she lived were really nice....far nicer than where a medicare patient gets to live.  We were lucky that she took out a long term care insurance policy when my dad died, but we fully exhausted her policy "max payout" of $350K in 3 years, and the cost of her memory care facility was significantly more than assisted living. I want to say about $160K per year towards the end with all of the services she received. 

The wealthier (say top 10%) are going to increasingly stay in those types of facilities, and when they're burning $150K a year getting old, that wealth transfer is going to corporations not children. And they hoover that shit up fucking FAST.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

4 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Growing up in the sixties, I can assure you that a significant part of that generation were not the stereotypical hippy, San Francisco Summer of Love for a millisecond adherents.   That was mostly liberal college peeps, and the smattering of “if my parents are for it, I’m against it” natural generation knee jerk opposition to their parents.  

You’d still get your ass kicked for having long hair in much of America, and for sure the rural part.     The ass-kickers are all Maggats now, for sure. 

I notice similar leanings among the Gen X and elder Millennials who were into nu metal and butt rock back in the 90s and 00s. They got old, broke, fat, divorced, and transferred their enthusiasm for bad music into enthusiasm for bad Youtubers (and adopted their bad politics).

3 minutes ago, Blotto said:

when they're burning $150K a year getting old, that wealth transfer is going to corporations not children. And they hoover that shit up fucking FAST.

ESTE

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

lol, what is "butt rock"?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Butt Rock

A style of hard rock & heavy metal music that is watered down both musically and lyrically to garner maximum radio play and mainstream acceptance. Lyrical themes are drawn from a put-on “tough guy / bro” persona, and include being a badass, getting lots of pussy, strippers, partying, and being betrayed or alone. Image wise, butt rock bands typically consist of guys in their mid-30s with spiky hair, Affliction t-shirts, and bad tattoos (usually barbed wire or tribal). The typical fan emulates this fashion style and exhibits what they think are “manly” personality traits, such as frequently drinking energy drinks, driving an unnecessarily large truck, and otherwise overcompensating for an insecurity in their masculinity. They also tend to have a superficial knowledge of metal music, being familiar only with bands that receive regular radio rotation. Examples of butt rock bands include Five Finger Death Punch, Three Days Grace, Buckcherry, Nickelback, Disturbed, and Three Doors Down.

“All riiiggghhhtt, that was Five Finger Death Punch with ‘Jekyll & Hyde,’ comin up next we got Buckcherry with ‘Crazy Bitch’ for all you ladies out there, right here on KBRO Nothing Butt Rock...”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Well I don't think it's the generation as a whole. It's the leadership of the generation. My parents are boomers and are not on board the Republican train at all but it seems the boomer generation leadership of the last 25 years or so has been pretty horrendous overall. A lot of that leadership was put in place and kept in place by large amounts of boomer voters but it's not 100 percent their fault. I don't put the Reagan disaster on boomers because that was the WW2 generation still running things at that point.

Overall success tends to breed greed, complacency, and contempt for others. I think the meteoric rise of America as both a financial and cultural giant on the global scale post WW2 led to a ton of hubris and greed that has slowly eroded the things that allowed America to make that leap. We are a nation in decline with a widening gulf between the top few percent of wealthy people and everyone else and we're seeing the usual propaganda and fascist tactics take hold just as it did in other declining civilizations throughout history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

Yes the desperation from the right on these lost social issues is pretty funny. They trot out obvious losers like Charlie Kirk and Ben Shapiro in a futile effort to make old-school homophobia and antifeminism "cool" and they shamelessly tried (and are still trying) to ride the coattails of the incel/red pill movement.

With the exception of a very vocal minority contingent of clout-hungry terminally online losers trying to drive engagement, the overwhelming majority of normal people in the younger generations either don't care about these issues whatsoever or are firmly in the pro-progress, pro-tolerance, pro-not being a dick side of the issues. Conservatism has never been, and will never be, "cool."

I think they may get even more desperate, but that desperation will hurt them in the end.  Kirk and Shapiro are about as far from being cool to the younger generation as you can get.

And the younger generation is growing up on the internet, for better or for worse, so they are seeing all the memes, and making fun of people like Kirk and Shapiro who are crying about whatever upsets them whether it's the gays or minorities or whatever, etc. and even in Bumfuck East Texas, there are kids growing up whose parents maybe shitty, but they are exposed to so many other types of people  and views through the internet, TV, etc.

These things take time, and yes, there's some shitty people in the younger generation, but look at things like race - we've now got a few generations who grew up idolizing African-American athletes such as Michael Jordan or various minority entertainers who were all over the TV.  Sure, there were AA athletes and entertainers in the 60s and 70s (and even before then), but not in the way that we saw in the 80s into the 90s.

And we now have a generation or two who is used to openly LBGTQ folks who are all over social media, TV, etc. and while the olds may not be happy with it, it's not a big deal to the younger folks.

There's a reason why the "okay boomer" thing took off.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Look, you can have your musical tastes but you'll have to pry my cell phone from my cold, dead fingers before I change my wife's custom ring tone from Crazy Bitch. 

Which should be easy the first time I ask her to call me because I can't find my phone. 

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated