45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The fuckery starts?

Objectively, with the CIPA issues and the volume of discovery, December is an ambitious trial setting.  Some judges might go ahead and set it as an aspirational thing, others might say, why set a date it's unlikely we can meet, let's do February or March.

• Hook 'Em 4

27 minutes ago, royiv said:

If she rules in Trump's favor, what's stopping everyone in this country that is accused of a felony to declare their candidacy for President so as to delay their trial?

Well see, you also have to have tremendous lead in the polls.  All the best polls, not the fake ones!

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, immamac said:

Everyone realizes the Mar-A-Lago thing is not the thing that needs to actually go down for him to get convicted of something that DQ's him? Jan 6 is the real prize here. 

Being convicted and imprisoned wouldn't disqualify him.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Objectively, with the CIPA issues and the volume of discovery, December is an ambitious trial setting.  Some judges might go ahead and set it as an aspirational thing, others might say, why set a date it's unlikely we can meet, let's do February or March.

Setting a trial date in the thick of primary season is going to be harder on Trump than a December trial, IMO. FAAFO, indeed.

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

IIRC it does in the documents/Mar a Lago case.

it definitely does for sedition, conspiracy against the US, etc etc. there's a few charges at the fed level that DQ you, I'm pretty sure Jan 6 is those kinds. 

25 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Of course, one of the things we've learned from all this and really Donald Trump and Roy Cohn's whole careers, it's that the court system and the bar don't have a lot of patience for bad faith actors. 

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Of course, one of the things we've learned from all this and really Donald Trump and Roy Cohn's whole careers, it's that the court system and the bar don't have a lot of patience for bad faith actors. 

Well, not sure if this is sarcasm, but the civil system mostly tolerates a lot of delay and within that a lot of bad-faith acting, because the system is almost "self-paced."  Almost.  The parties, and particularly the wealthier party, control most everything in the civil system.  Occasionally you come across a no-bullshit judge, usually federal, that really controls the thing, like Lewis Kaplan in the Carroll case.

Not true of the criminal system.  Cohn was mostly a civil lawyer and most of Trump's shenanigans have been accomplished in the civil system.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, not sure if this is sarcasm, but the civil system mostly tolerates a lot of delay and within that a lot of bad-faith acting, because the system is almost "self-paced."  Almost.  The parties, and particularly the wealthier party, control most everything in the civil system.  Occasionally you come across a no-bullshit judge, usually federal, that really controls the thing, like Lewis Kaplan in the Carroll case.

Not true of the criminal system.  Cohn was mostly a civil lawyer and most of Trump's shenanigans have been accomplished in the civil system.

This is worth repeating.

Civil trials and criminal trials are two completely different things.

And federal criminal trials are very different from state criminal trials.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/amendment-14/section-3/

Section 3 Disqualification from Holding Office

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Smith over played his hand with this one. Hubris 

He has Bedminster in NJ and J6 in DC.

Question: if Trump is in jail in Georgia this time next year for violating state election statutes can he still be president?  Anyone?  Bueller?

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

This is worth repeating.

Civil trials and criminal trials are two completely different things.

And federal criminal trials are very different from state criminal trials.

very very true

But when  smith was prosecuting cases at The Hague he had impartial judges. Cannon is a ranking nazi party member passing judgment on nazis war crimes after ww2 

• Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, immamac said:

Yes, this and the two-term limitation are the only ways to disqualify someone who meets the Constitution's basic requirements from being President. The 14th Amendment's disqualification almost certainly doesn't apply to normal criminal convictions and nobody really knows if it's self-executing or would need to be alleged in some sort of judicial or non-judicial formal proceeding or resolution (such as a Senate resolution following a conviction after an impeachment).  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

very very true

But when  smith was prosecuting cases at The Hague he had impartial judges. Cannon is a ranking nazi party member passing judgment on nazis war crimes after ww2 

maybe lets cut the head off the snake first and see what happens

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Some of y'all still think there's a chance that he sees justice.  You've got faith that the Titanic will reach NY after it's been ripped open by an iceberg.  

But I too am infuriated that we aren't going to get what we want, and what real justice would be.  I want just one thing.  Just one.  For Trump to end up playing the role of the Colonel in Boogie Nights...

MV5BNjUxMDgxNTMtYzNlOS00NmEyLTg1MTQtNzVl

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

No, it doesn't.

This is where I got that:

One of three statutes cited in the search warrant, code 2071, contains a clause stating that anyone who “willfully and unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, falsifies, or destroys” government documents shall be “disqualified from holding any office under the United States””

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/aug/13/nuclear-or-not-classified-or-not-mar-a-lago-files-spell-out-jeopardy-for-trump

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Some of y'all still think there's a chance that he sees justice.  You've got faith that the Titanic will reach NY after it's been ripped open by an iceberg.  

But I too am infuriated that we aren't going to get what we want, and what real justice would be.  I want just one thing.  Just one.  For Trump to end up playing the role of the Colonel in Boogie Nights...

MV5BNjUxMDgxNTMtYzNlOS00NmEyLTg1MTQtNzVl

once he's convicted, you're going to be saying "i can't believe it!"

and I'll be right there with you saying, "that's because you're a complete idiot."

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

you sure?

Yes.

And the request from Team Trump will be "that's a lot of stuff, and will take until the 12th of Never for us to review and prepare our defense.  Therefore, in order to avoid prejudice of the defendant, President and future Emperor Donald J. Trump, so you better be nice to him and maybe he'll let you live once he has full Imperial Power, trial of this matter should be delayed until at least the 13th of Never."

Delay is the game.  Will Cannon play?  Bet on it.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes.

And the request from Team Trump will be "that's a lot of stuff, and will take until the 12th of Never for us to review and prepare our defense.  Therefore, in order to avoid prejudice of the defendant, President and future Emperor Donald J. Trump, so you better be nice to him and maybe he'll let you live once he has full Imperial Power, trial of this matter should be delayed until at least the 13th of Never."

Delay is the game.  Will Cannon play?  Bet on it.

go fuck yourself swear trek GIF

<3

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Yeah, on the one hand it sounds damming to Trump to say you've got 1mm pages of documents for discovery.  But it also sounds like perfect ammo for continued delays, "We can't possibly be expected to go through all of this, your honor, in just 15-18 months.  

I almost empathize with Trump a bit when he complains that he couldn't turn over the document boxes right away (or within a year) because he hadn't yet had the opportunity to sort them and get his own personal papers out.  The man who openly admits he doesn't take notes or write anything down, suddenly produced thousands of pages of personal notes and papers.  And of course stored them where every President stores their personal items---not in boxes, crates, cartons, filing cabinets, or storage tubs.  Nope, no sir.  But rather shoved in between the pages of bound copies of classified briefings and documents.  A thing that happens with every president.  

I just wish for Trump supporter's sake that all of this could have been avoided if only the government availed some sort of tracking service for Trump's personal documents and papers.  Like a group of historians, librarians, data experts, informatics people, technical organizers for digital and printed information, archivists, curators, and other records managers.  And these administrators could have been available to Trump in a non-partisan way to oversee the organization, cataloging, and preservation of his important Presidential Records and Archives, like a the national level.  Why wasn't that available to him?  Why was he forced to shove all his years of documents into these random boxes with who knows what else contained inside?  Why wasn't there some sort of National Archive and Records group of administrators or managers?  It's partisan bullshit!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

This is where I got that:

One of three statutes cited in the search warrant, code 2071, contains a clause stating that anyone who “willfully and unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, falsifies, or destroys” government documents shall be “disqualified from holding any office under the United States””

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/aug/13/nuclear-or-not-classified-or-not-mar-a-lago-files-spell-out-jeopardy-for-trump

He is not, however, charged with that crime.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

If true, that's kind of disappointing to me.  Those would seem to be "process crimes," although there could be a ton of juiciness in the witness tampering stuff.  

Again,  if true, I'm going to guess they don't think they can convict on the obstruction of an official proceeding because of the ambiguity of the intent evidence.  That doesn't mean it's super ambiguous, before people freak the fuck out.  That just means it is ambiguous enough to throw a reasonable doubt in there.

That Cannon woman is playing the Trump game. Don’t move it to after the election - yet. Just move those decisions to January/Feb and then we’ll decide. Step by step. She should be removed, period. And now, before all of this gets totally out of hand. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I knew he would win the nomination.  I knew he would win the presidency.  I knew that he would employ violence to attempt to stay in office.  I've been pretty good at seeing the shitstorm and awfulness that Trump would bring us.  When it comes to things Trumpian, always bet on the worst things happening.  It's the safe bet.

I'd love, love, LOVE to be wrong about the criminal shit.  And if he ends up a crying little bitch in prison, I'll stand there and let you call me a complete idiot until the heat death of the universe, and you STILL won't be able to wipe the smile off my face.

If you thought he was going to "win the election" before James Comey tossed a huge lifeline... you must have been talking to Roger Stone and Putin. 😉

History (assuming Trump does not win and end democracy and honest history in the US) will show that Russia did indeed have a large role in swinging the election to Trump. Jared Kushner post election poo-pooed the idea that " a few facebook ads" could influence the election.  Then Trump put more money and more money as a percentage of election advertising into Facebook advertising.

Trump of course pardoned his fellow treasonous co-conspirators in Stone and his campaign manager, Paul Manafort that gave Trump internal polling data to a Russian agent. Perhaps history will tell the true tale of Trump's treasonous actions.  I think his seditious actions will be proven in court. But there is a high chance of dishonesty in the juror pool, that could produce jury nulification.  

• Hook 'Em 2

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated