45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

8 hours ago, hornmpa96 said:

I can’t wait for the day when I see Donald Trump making a court appearance in handcuffs and an orange jumpsuit. 

I want to see him wind up like Ohio Republican House Speaker Larry Householder, who was convicted of a $60 Million bribery scheme, and got sentenced to 20 years behind bars.

IMG_6625.thumb.jpeg.16aca46f54bdc5bd859f6b84f5345ad4.jpeg

(If Trump were to win the election, I’d fully expect him to pardon Householder. Not because the two of them are connected at all, just because Trump has a soft spot for Republican corruption. And just to “own the libs.”)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Pffft.

Garland doesn't control Alvin Bragg or Fani Willis, and, looky here, all these indictments are rolling in about the same time.

Maybe, just maybe, it takes some time to put together a criminal case.

Or... he sat on it for over a year. 

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/report-says-doj-resisted-investigating-trumps-role-in-jan-6-for-over-a-year

Do you believe the states of New York and Georgia have the same level of resources available as the feds?

Your stanning for Garland is annoying.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Pence has stuff to say: 

As Americans, his candidacy means less attention paid to Joe Biden's disastrous economic policies afflicting millions across the United States and to the pattern of corruption with Hunter.

Yeah, things are really falling apart economically.  And Hunter's dong.
  • Hook 'Em 1

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/02/trump-judge-tanya-chutkan-00109342?nname=playbook&nid=0000014f-1646-d88f-a1cf-5f46b7bd0000&nrid=0000014e-f0fd-dd93-ad7f-f8fde5bf0000&nlid=630318

When Judge Tanya Chutkan presides over the new criminal case against Donald Trump, it won’t be her first time tangling with the former president and his lawyers.

In fact, the U.S. district court judge already dealt the ex-president one of the most significant legal blows of his lifetime, triggering perhaps the greatest deluge of evidence about his bid to subvert the 2020 election — a scheme for which he now stands charged with serious crimes.

The Obama-appointed jurist ruled in fall 2021 that the House Jan. 6 select committee could access reams of Trump’s White House files — a ruling that was subsequently upheld by an appeals court and left undisturbed by the Supreme Court. That evidence — call logs, memos, internal strategy papers and more from the desks of Trump’s most trusted advisers — became the backbone of the committee’s evidence and shaped much of the public’s understanding of his effort to seize a second term he didn’t win.

Much of that evidence resurfaced Tuesday in special counsel Jack Smith’s four-count indictment of Trump, which referenced call logs and White House records that were already familiar to Americans who tracked the Jan. 6 committee proceedings. Chutkan was randomly selected Tuesday to preside over Trump’s latest criminal case, his third in the last four months.

“Presidents are not kings, and Plaintiff is not President,” Chutkan wrote in her 2-year-old ruling, a rebuke that is sure to echo as she prepares to preside over the newest criminal case against the current GOP frontrunner for the presidential nomination in 2024.

Chutkan, 61, was born in Kingston, Jamaica, and came to the U.S. for college as a teenager, attending George Washington University and then law school at the University of Pennsylvania. She spent more than a decade as a public defender in Washington, D.C. She later worked for the law firm Boies Schiller & Flexner before being confirmed as a federal trial judge in Washington in 2014.

Spoiler

Chutkan has avoided some of the most pointed criticisms of Trump that some of her colleagues on the federal bench in D.C. have delivered as they’ve sentenced defendants who participated in the Jan. 6 mob that attacked the Capitol as part of Trump’s bid to remain in power. Judge Reggie Walton has called Trump a “charlatan.” Judge Amit Mehta has said Jan. 6 defendantswere “pawns” of Trump and his allies. Judge Amy Berman Jackson has chastised Republicans for refusing to level with Trump about the 2020 election.

“It is not patriotism, it is not standing up for America to stand up for one man — who knows full well that he lost — instead of the Constitution he was trying to subvert,” Jackson said at a sentencing last year.

But Chutkan has delivered some of the harshest sentences to Jan. 6 defendants and made her disgust and horror over the attack clear, lamenting the prospect of renewed political violence in 2024 and noting that no one accused of orchestrating the effort to subvert the election had been held accountable.

“You have made a very good point,” she told Jan. 6 rioter Robert Palmer at his December 2021 sentencing, “that the people who exhorted you and encouraged you and rallied you to go and take action and to fight have not been charged.”

“The issue of who has or has not been charged is not before me. I don’t have any influence on that,” she said. “I have my opinions, but they are not relevant.”

But Chutkan also said that reality wasn’t a reason to go easy on those who bought into the election lies and acted upon that belief.

“The people who planned this and funded it and encouraged it haven’t been charged, but that’s not a reason for you to get a lower sentence,” she said. “I have to make it clear that the actions you engaged in cannot happen again. Every day we’re hearing about reports of antidemocratic factions of people plotting violence, the potential threat of violence, in 2024.”

Chutkan has alluded more specifically to Trump in other Jan. 6 sentences, including her first — to misdemeanor defendant Carl Mazzocco, who Chutkan said “went to the Capitol in support of one man, not in support of our country.”

During those early months of the Jan. 6 investigation, Chutkan also staked out territory that some of her colleagues were reluctant to tread: She pointedly rejected the equivalence some defendants were drawing between violence adjacent to Black Lives Matter protests and the riot at the Capitol.

One Trump-appointed judge, Trevor McFadden, had raised sharp questions about whether Jan. 6 defendants were being treated more harshly than people accused of similar conduct during the summertime violence of 2020.

“I think the U.S. attorney would have more credibility if it was even-handed in its concern about riots and mobs in this city,” McFadden said at the time.

Chutkan, while sentencing a defendant in a different case, appeared to allude to her colleague’s remark, before saying she “flatly” disagreed.

“People gathered all over the country last year to protest the violent murder by the police of an unarmed man. Some of those protesters became violent,” Chutkan said of the protests and rioting that followed George Floyd’s death. “But to compare the actions of people protesting, mostly peacefully, for civil rights, to those of a violent mob seeking to overthrow the lawfully elected government is a false equivalency and ignores a very real danger that the January 6 riot posed to the foundation of our democracy.”

• Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

“Like I said to that lady, ‘take off your clothes and don’t make me have to use this pistol.’   It’s my right as an American to have free speech. How dare you,Jack Smith, deprive me of my free speech …you are unethical!”

I really enjoy informing bank tellers how they can survive the next few minutes. Gotta love Merica. 

59 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Or... he sat on it for over a year. 

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/report-says-doj-resisted-investigating-trumps-role-in-jan-6-for-over-a-year

Do you believe the states of New York and Georgia have the same level of resources available as the feds?

Your stanning for Garland is annoying.

I don't believe that reporting anymore than I believe what that "IRS Whistleblower" says about the Hunter Biden investigation.

Someone looking at an investigation can see what they want to see.

And, as to resources, DOJ has been busy securing convictions against 485+ out of 1033 arrested and charged on January 6.

Resources are relative.

Your bashing of Garland is annoying.  As I recalll, you were number one or close to it on the nattering nabobs of negativity.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

@TwiceHorn what’s your take on the free speech defense?

Also, skimming the indictment, the funniest part was when Raffenberger tried to explain to Trump the State Farm video he watched was doctored, and he would send Trump a link to the undoctored video, Trump said I don’t need your link, I have a much better link. 😂 

image.png.7c5d7d9b326bd1a1654f05832408f2f7.png

Edited by Neonmoon
to add screenshot
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Also, skimming the indictment, the funniest part was when Raffenberger tried to explain to Trump the State Farm video he watched was doctored, and he would send Trump a link to the undoctored video, Trump said I don’t need your link, I have a much better link. 😂 

Not going to work.  It might get a little traction if they hadn't alleged the conspiracy and were relying only on the 1/6 speech alone as some kind of incitement.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

Yeah, things are really falling apart economically.

If they just keep repeating it, people will believe them. Trump introduced this practice of just speaking whatever reality he wanted into existence and it worked for him. So now the whole party has adopted that strategy. Trump was campaigning in 2016 saying the economy was in the shitter when in reality it was doing fine. Just three weeks into his presidency a positive jobs report came out and he took credit for it, as if he had anything to do with those numbers, and said, “They may have been phony in the past, but it’s very real now.” Just speak whatever bullshit you want because the GOP base will fall for it  

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/trump-monthly-jobs-numbers-sean-spicer-235936

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Free speech is a press conference at Four Seasons Lawncare and crying like a bitch titty baby that they cheated. Pressuring the Vice President and others in power to commit crimes to carry out your facist fantasyland isn’t free speech. It’s why it’s important they keep hammering that he knew that there was zero evidence of fraud.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Not going to work.  It might get a little traction if they hadn't alleged the conspiracy and were relying only on the 1/6 speech alone as some kind of incitement.
Is that why we aren't seeing other Republicans who did make speeches on J6 (Cruz & Hawley) not getting any dirt on them?

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Free speech is a press conference at Four Seasons Lawncare and crying like a bitch titty baby that they cheated. Pressuring the Vice President and others in power to commit crimes to carry out your facist fantasyland isn’t free speech. It’s why it’s important they keep hammering that he knew that there was zero evidence of fraud.

Using fake electors and violence to stay in office after losing also isn't free speech. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It seems to me that arguing Trump's efforts to overturn the election were protected free speech is akin to arguing that armed robbery of a liquor store is legal because the thief held an open carry license.

Edited by jimmyjazz

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, they fuckin promoted it as the "Stop the Steal" rally for weeks in advance.  

This wasn't merely a mob caught up in someone's words.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It seems to me that arguing Trump's efforts to overturn the election were protected free speech is akin to arguing that armed robbery of a liquor store is legal because the thief held an open carry license.

More like claiming free speech when you asked a hit man to kill your wife.

1 hour ago, tchookem said:
2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Is that why we aren't seeing other Republicans who did make speeches on J6 (Cruz & Hawley) not getting any dirt on them?

Yeah, this has significant preparation and purpose, as well as specific intended unlawful result.

1 hour ago, speed817 said:

What's the bigger lie in that tweet: his innocence, or dotard claiming to be 6'5" tall?

I'm surprised they didn't include an inset claiming his mushroom dick was 12" and thick as a beer can.

Edited by GhostOfTomJoad
Fuck trump
  • Haha 5

[mention=248]TwiceHorn[/mention] what’s your take on the free speech defense?
Also, skimming the indictment, the funniest part was when Raffenberger tried to explain to Trump the State Farm video he watched was doctored, and he would send Trump a link to the undoctored video, Trump said I don’t need your link, I have a much better link.  

image.png.7c5d7d9b326bd1a1654f05832408f2f7.png

Even though you aren’t asking me, my legal opinion is that the free speech “defense” doesn’t pertain at all to what the actual indictment is for at all, but instead, addresses what a huge chunk or folks (on both sides, TBH think the “January 6 case” is about. This whole free speech “thing” is, IMO, just a talking point to further the entire victim/pariah persona that TFG uses to raise funds.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

DOJ was investigating and Garland had to appoint the special counsel once the GOP took over the house. 

Garland is never ever ever going to get credit because he didn't do it the day he was confirmed by the Senate.

Doesn't matter why.  He's an easy target.  WHY NOT DONE

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Garland is never ever ever going to get credit because he didn't do it the day he was confirmed by the Senate.

Sure, because it's just absolute crazy talk to suggest that the USAG make investigating an attempted fucking coup a priority.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Sure, because it's just absolute crazy talk to suggest that the USAG make investigating an attempted fucking coup a priority.  

And if he rushed it to make you happy, and Trump gets off on a technicality...

There's no winning.  Engaging with people who just want to bitch about it is pointless.  Jack Smith is getting it done, after BEING APPOINTED BY GARLAND. 

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

And if he rushed it to make you happy, and Trump gets off on a technicality...

Yes, because the only two choices were:

1.  Rush the investigation and be sloppy.

or

2.  Wait nearly two years to appoint a prosecutor.

It's like you're doing a slorch bit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

17 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

giphy.gif

12 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Unless Rudy is acting, guess we can assume he's not cooperating with Jack Smith and his team.

6 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

It's a shame that it took the Committee hearings spoon feeding this shit to Garland before he got off his ass and appointed Smith to get after it.

Once this is over, if Biden or another D is elected, Garland needs to step down and Smith needs to be AG.

Jack Smith for VPOTUS.

5 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Lot of y'all need to go get your annual eye exam.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Dude.  Most of the posters here are in their late 30s to 50s (excluding Armybrat, who's from the 1750s).  If we were at a neighborhood pool party, and a gal who looked like Jen Psaki walked out onto the deck in a tight swimsuit and one of those gauzy wraps, her red hair shining in the sun.....every damned head here would damn well turn and smile to check her out.  She's not a 20 yr old Instagram model.  Cool.  She's a very attractive, smart, and witty 45 yr old woman.  Sign.  Me.  Up.

To get this back on topic....She is at least 90 IQ points too high for Trump to ever find attractive.  Trump's type is easy to figure out: moneygrubbing grifting whores, just like him.

I'm 50 and I think she's ok. Smart AF, which is nice but nothing to garner the response given in last nights string of posts.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

This mother fucker really has a death wish. He'll be sucking that mushroom dick by this time next year, guaranteed.

Is it wrong that sometimes I fantasize the insurrectionists HAD found Pence on J6? (Of course if they had, there's no telling how things might've gone in that alternate timeline.)

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated