45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

There's little evidence of that in her background.

The worst thing in her background is that she was a member of Fed Soc.  Leonard Leo doesn't concern himself much with district court appointees, so they're not typically demagogues.

If I had to guess, it would be that she was a brown woman with some conservative credentials and that's about it.  She was proposed by lil Marco, which makes sense.

She's quite young and quite inexperienced as an attorney for a US DJ.

Was there possibly a way for Donald Trump to find out if she was a Trumper other than running the same internet searches you're running? It seems like he probably had access to more information than you do, and everything in his history shows exactly what he wanted out of appointees. Sometimes your ability to hyperfocus only on what's provable in a court of law is a positive, sometimes it's more of an inability to see obvious things that aren't immediately provable. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

There's little evidence of that in her background.

The worst thing in her background is that she was a member of Fed Soc.  Leonard Leo doesn't concern himself much with district court appointees, so they're not typically demagogues.

If I had to guess, it would be that she was a brown woman with some conservative credentials and that's about it.  She was proposed by lil Marco, which makes sense.

She's quite young and quite inexperienced as an attorney for a US DJ.

I’d say the way she conducted herself the first time she handled a Trump case is some evidence for concern.

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Texas needs a Dem win for anything to sort of spark a fire. I think that’s did it for Arizona and Georgia. 

Georgia did it through years of voter registration drives. It takes lots of people willing to see the long game and persist in their efforts over a number of years to make it happen.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mole said:

Georgia did it through years of voter registration drives. It takes lots of people willing to see the long game and persist in their efforts over a number of years to make it happen.

This is very accurate.  There are a lot of people who put in tremendous work that is playing out over the long haul.  Stacey Abrams has been huge in this, but to limit it to one person would be taking away from the work of many.  The reality is that if you want to see a change it will take a lot of work and a lot of people dedicated to seeing the matter thru.  Getting a win isn't as easy as wish-casting it, the work has to be put in; otherwise you will just be left to whine about the results.  The key to everything here has been convincing historically disenfranchised people that they do have a stake, after years of systemic work has been done to convince them otherwise.  Bottom line, it won't be easy, but it can be done.  You likely won't see immediate gratification in the form victories, but you have to start with an increase in turn out and build with it.  If the national party sees that and sees the potential the money will start coming in for support, but it starts grass roots.  

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, safe sex said:

Actually, is there a quality jurist that has come from the Fed Soc in the last 30 years? Like, you can point to this judge and you aren't going to find batshit rulings in their history?

Fed Soc has only become really pernicious in the last 10 years or so.  DDDad was a member way back in the day, and I was Fed Soc curious way back in the day also.  I'd wager brisket was too.

Back then it was just conservative, in contrast to the many progressive societies available at law schools.  I don't know when exactly it became what it has become.  It's not a great sign, but it's not the end of the world either, necessarily, unless shown to be a recent and militant member.

59 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Was there possibly a way for Donald Trump to find out if she was a Trumper other than running the same internet searches you're running? It seems like he probably had access to more information than you do, and everything in his history shows exactly what he wanted out of appointees. Sometimes your ability to hyperfocus only on what's provable in a court of law is a positive, sometimes it's more of an inability to see obvious things that aren't immediately provable. 

Trump didn't do shit on any of his judicial nominees and certainly not Cannon.  He's not that smart, curious, or doctrinaire.

The same SCOTUS nominees would have come from any GQP POTUS, because they're only nominally in charge of that.

He was totally reliant on any vetting done by organizations such as Fed Soc for SCOTUS and some court of appeals judges, and the state GQP machine and senators for district judges, who are typically far below the radar of Fed Soc (Cruz and Cornyn put up a lot of christofascists for our benches and they were pretty much the sole source there, Cruz especially).  See https://www.texastribune.org/series/texas-law-conservative-revolution/

My opinion on this comes mostly from knowing how district court judicial nominations work.  It's not the same as SCOTUS, in almost any way, shape, or form. It is almost wholly dependent on the Senators of the state, if GQP, who are in turn informed by the state party.  And if not GQP Senators, then the state party through Democratic Senators.

Besides, shes been under the microscope now for almost a year.  If there was any significant political dirt on her, it would be out there.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, BamaATL said:

The wife and I have decided to volunteer to help with Georgia 55, a program dedicated to helping people get to vote.  We are going to take off work during early voting to help people get to polls, drop boxes and etc by doing the ride program.  I don't know if such a thing exists in other states, but I believe there are opportunities out there along these lines.  My goal is to personally get 100 voters to vote that otherwise wouldn't have been able to.  How they vote is obviously their business, but I know any increase in participation is good and generally favors us.  Even if you can't volunteer that sort of time, there are other ways to contribute, such as coordination, vote curing, etc.  Bottom line, I'll be damned if I am going to watch these fucksticks win simply because someone like myself who had the ability to help didn't.  

Georgia55 is a good group.  I hope someone in Texas develops one soon.  

7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is awesome.  Living in Texas, specifically Austin, it feels like a lost cause, but I should look into this as well.

We definitely need all hands on deck starting now.  It's refreshing to see new blood getting involved and that helps reach new targets with different messages that might appeal more than the tired old trope.  We need election workers all over, especially the redder counties.    I'd suggest you reach out to your precinct chair first.  

6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

I've often wondered if Texas is a completely lost cause and it would be better for Texas Democrats to put their money and time into helping in states like Georgia, Arizona, Nevada, etc. 

It's pretty interesting how many people we get volunteering on our voter protection hotline that come from other states, usually blue ones.  They make the efforts to train on the confusing Texas voter laws to help out.    Usually it's folks from California or up in the Northeast.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Trump didn't do shit on any of his judicial nominees and certainly not Cannon.  He's not that smart, curious, or doctrinaire.

He was totally reliant on any vetting done by organizations such as Fed Soc for SCOTUS and some court of appeals judges, and the state GQP machine and senators (Cruz and Cornyn put up a lot of christofascists for our benches and they were pretty much the sole source there, Cruz especially).  See https://www.texastribune.org/series/texas-law-conservative-revolution/

My opinion on this comes mostly from knowing how district court judicial nominations work.  It's not the same as SCOTUS, in almost any way, shape, or form.

Besides, shes been under the microscope now for almost a year.  If there was any significant political dirt on her, it would be out there.

This is the answer.  He likely had no idea who she was until she was presiding over the docs case prior to his indictment.   She may be in the tank for him, but it's more likely that she's a republican lawyer, who played the game, joined the right groups, met the right people, and had her name thrown into the mix when a district court nomination was open.

As for the Fed Soc., I was asked to join by a lawyer-acquaintance a few years back.  I live in the part of the state where people assume your political affiliations.  Polite decline on my part.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 5

Just now, dcbc said:

This is the answer.  He likely had no idea who she was until she was presiding over the docs case prior to his indictment.   She may be in the tank for him, but it's more likely that she's a republican lawyer, who played the game, joined the right groups, met the right people, and had her name thrown into the mix when a district court nomination was open.

You mean groomed. She was groomed by the GOP money people for the job. That’s what FedSoc does now. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, dcbc said:

In the not too distant past, administrations have had trouble coming up with district judge nominees because the job is less attractive than a court of appeals or certainly SCOTUS job.  It's a pay cut, it's hard work, and it doesn't offer many opportunities to be political, if that's your thing.

In some cases, the party of the president has had to resort to people with only the barest political connections just to come up with a body to fill a spot, e.g. John McBryde.  Sometimes, "right people" and "right groups" is a helluva lot less insidious than it sounds.  It's a little bit of sucking up here and there.

And those that want to be turdballs like Kascmaryk have to go to a single judge district/division (Amarillo in his case) to insure they can get forum shopped, and those are all backwaters.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

I've often wondered if Texas is a completely lost cause and it would be better for Texas Democrats to put their money and time into helping in states like Georgia, Arizona, Nevada, etc. 

Texas is not a lost cause - you need only look at how desperate Republicans are to take over total control of local elections, education, law enforcement, etc. in the larger counties such as Harris and Travis. 

They are scared shitless that there are enough votes in Harris County to flip the state to the Dems, and Trump's margin of winning in Texas was smaller than the number of registered voters who didn't vote in Harris County.  A serious GOTV effort on the scale of Georgia would flip it.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

He was President of the United States, and was not given one piece of evidence that he actually won the election. That’s called “knowing”.

He has not given any evidence he claims to have.  He kept saying he had the evidence, but for some reason, he wasn't having it posted on WhiteHouse.gov when he was still in office, or on his campaign website.

I've asked quite a few Trumpkins I know about this, and they all had "reasons", but my response was usually "oh, are they waiting to publish this information until after he dies?"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Texas is not a lost cause - you need only look at how desperate Republicans are to take over total control of local elections, education, law enforcement, etc. in the larger counties such as Harris and Travis. 

They are scared shitless that there are enough votes in Harris County to flip the state to the Dems, and Trump's margin of winning in Texas was smaller than the number of registered voters who didn't vote in Harris County.  A serious GOTV effort on the scale of Georgia would flip it.

Unfortunately, the Texas Democratic Party is about as well-organized as a corral full of sugar-addled toddlers who haven't slept in three days.  And not nearly as cute.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Man, I like your posts but this schtik of "oh, it's not so bad, the Republicans are scared and desperate" ignores a much simpler fact. They are doing this because they can. It gains them more power. It hurts the people they want to hurt.

When people do bad things, sometimes it is Jean Valjean stealing a loaf of bread to feed starving kids and give credence to a nice plot line in Deep Space Nine. More often it's a seven year stealing a car because he wants to do it because it's fun, fun to do bad things.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 8/3/2023 at 2:09 PM, locodos said:

I keep hearing posters discussing if Trump can win election.   My question is will it matter?   

I know in Florida we have spanky new voter/election security laws, a dedicated state police force to enforce them, a military force under the sole purview of the Governor, GOP controlled state house and senate (cough gerrymandering cough cough), and a super dee duper Supreme Court that just loves states rights! 

I'm not sure that if the state does go blue, that won't be deemed a fraudlent result, and the state steps in to investigate and appoint electors as Jesus intended.

Pretty sure Florida is NOT alone in that, but as is our way, we have just taken it up to eleven under Comandante Dedo de Pudín.

PS I forgot the laws on "rioting" which would be enforced if the natives get restless whilst this is going down.  Good times!

Also pretty sure he's staying in the race hoping for a Trump criminal implosion and be the best of the rest...

I love that I did not have to look it up, Trump could never pronounce it, and it rhymes with dead ol Putin.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Fed Soc has only become really pernicious in the last 10 years or so.  DDDad was a member way back in the day, and I was Fed Soc curious way back in the day also.  I'd wager brisket was too.

Back then it was just conservative, in contrast to the many progressive societies available at law schools.  I don't know when exactly it became what it has become.  It's not a great sign, but it's not the end of the world either, necessarily, unless shown to be a recent and militant member.

Este.

I wasn't just a member, I was the founding member and first president of my law school chapter.  Of course that was over 30 years ago.  I really didn't ever pay any attention to it after I graduated (never paid dues, etc.) so it wasn't really until like the last 10 years or so that I noticed its considerable increase in influence.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, BamaATL said:

I'm not trying to pick on you here, but that mentality is part of the problem.  You clearly see a problem, you have a choice, get involved or whine about it.  Again, that's not a slight directed at you personally, it's a mentality that has permeated left leaning voters for years.  We aren't organized, we aren't local efforts are chaotic, etc.  You know what, comparatively speaking to the Republicans that's all true, that's been the key to their successes.   That having been said, if we do nothing we shouldn't expect a better outcome, if we start working on it, even on small levels we can build to success.  

Think of it this way, if you are going to play a football game and half your team believes they are going to lose before the game even starts, you probably will.  It's worse than that though, in order to really win a football game the work starts months in advance.  If you believe in April you aren't going to win in the fall, guess what, you don't put in the work, and then you never give yourself the chance.  

The bottom line is we have to get out the consistent loser mentality we've been conditioned to accept in the Democratic Party.  This narrative has been pushed by the media, obviously the opposition, but worst of all internally by Democrats and left leaning voters themselves.  The truth of the matter is we are picking up steam, and it's time to start believing we are going to win and more importantly put in the work to do so.  This shit isn't magically going to happen, we have to do work.  

I salute your work.  You have one big problem.  A lot of people who agree with you are so fucking sick of living in Texas that we are in the process of getting the fuck out of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Who else would he be talking about? He also was bitching again yesterday about Jack Smith’s wife, and mentioned her by name. I do not understand how these now three judges allow this to happen.

this is the equivalent of a toddler pushing their anti-corporal punishment parents to the brink. they really, really, really don't want to do this wrong. guess they're taking a "never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake" approach?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, hpslugga said:

They started doing that immediately after Trump uttered the words "this is a fraud on the American public" and we got a good look into how effective those efforts really were in 2022. Remember that "red wave" that was supposed to happen last year? How'd that go?

And that axiom I mentioned? It was established before said efforts and survived them. That's how toxic Trump is, and it's why other GQP candidates are currently talking about raising the voting age to 21. That will never fly because it requires a consitutional amendment, and that shit ain't happening between now and next November.

But that's not even the point. The point is that all this chatter about "raise the voting age" is an acknowledgement that at the state level, they didn't do near enough to suppress D votes and that they need to do more to accomplish that. They don't know how to do that in a way that would survive court challenges.

Regarding the age issue, it can only get worse for the R's as we must consider that 1) there were a bunch of people ages 14-17 in 2020 who could not vote then and will be able to in 2024 and 2) the Gen Z demographic was as lopsided as could be against the GQP before Dobbs, and after Dobbs, they swung away from them even harder. In 2016, they accounted for 2% of the election. In 2020 it was 7.5% and next year, they look to figure in for about 13%. Combine them with the millennials, that looks to be more than one-third (37%) of the electorate. Trump does very poorly with that demo in the swing states.  

[cut out all the TLDR]

So in 2018, he started to lose support in electoral form and lost the House
In 2020, he lost more support in electoral form, lost the Senate, and was voted out
In 2022, he lost even more support in electoral form, the GQP barely gained the House because of gerrymandering fuckery, and the D's gained a Senate seat
In 2023 he is losing even more support due to the indictments
So he's gonna...what...gain all that support back and win the general? 

Here are some graphs to show the GOP problem with demographics.

First the party affiliation by cohort from April 2023  https://www.statista.com/statistics/319068/party-identification-in-the-united-states-by-generation/

image.png.509e374067a391674525697bf5a4ca5e.png

Next is the number of people voting age by cohort from Pew in 2018 so realize it is worse now for the Boomers and Silent.  It's been 5 years since then and the youngest silent generation is 95 and most of them are about as functional as Diane Feinstein. The youngest Boomers are now 59 and the oldest are 77.  Their curve is getting ready to start matching the Silent's as the Gen Z picks up steam. (Yes, I edited the chart to reflect 2023 data. *The source I used for current data says there are 65M Gen X)

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2018/04/03/millennials-approach-baby-boomers-as-largest-generation-in-u-s-electorate/

image.png.efe1cc6475377a222120f9494401ba0b.png

The net effect is that the most MAGA generations (+3 to +4%) are getting replaced with the most Dem generations (+6 to +14%)

But even then it's all about turnout because as we learned in the mid-terms, turnout matters.  I'd argue that Republicans in 2022 were buoyed by Trump not being on the ballot.

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2023/07/12/republican-gains-in-2022-midterms-driven-mostly-by-turnout-advantage/

image.png.2e74d315b0b2ef3d2fcf6089887a7389.png

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Meh.  I’m still on the fence.  Something is missing.

spacer.png

Who gives a fuck? Aren't there other places for this shit?

I don't care who you think is hot or doable. You'll never get a shot, so you're basically arguing about would you beat off to a woman's photo.  High standards for that activity really don't impress.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I salute your work.  You have one big problem.  A lot of people who agree with you are so fucking sick of living in Texas that we are in the process of getting the fuck out of Texas.

If I weren't thinking of doing the same thing at some point, if only for better weather (but also other reasons), I'd post the School Ties "COWARDS!" .gif.

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

Who gives a fuck? Aren't there other places for this shit?

I don't care who you think is hot or doable. You'll never get a shot, so you're basically arguing about would you beat off to a woman's photo.  High standards for that activity really don't impress.

Now, now…..I’m sure he thinks you’re pretty hot too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Genco said:

You know who was not amongst the co-conspirators described and was conspicuously absent from the entire indictment?

spacer.png

Mark Meadows has actually dug for dinosaurs and then purchased the land they were on. He later sold the land to Answers in Genesis without disclosing the sale. In spite of this personal experience, he believes the earth is 6,000 years old and that dinosaurs co-existed with humans. 

https://www.salon.com/2020/12/27/mark-meadows-has-skeletons-in-the-closet--dinosaur-skeletons-to-be-precise/

Just some context for the following statement.

Even that fucking moron knows Trump lost, the election wasn't stolen, and cooperating with the investigations is the only way to keep his stupid ass out of the prison sentence he so richly deserves.

Which brings to mind the question, just how fucking stupid do you have to be to actually believe the election was stolen and that Trump won? Apparently stupider than Mark Meadows, which is a very low bar. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

this is the equivalent of a toddler pushing their anti-corporal punishment parents to the brink. they really, really, really don't want to do this wrong. guess they're taking a "never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake" approach?

They don't see the big picture. They don't see the paradigm shift from political conflict to existential conflict for the republic.

Oooh! Ooooh! This is all unprecedented with an ex-President! Decorum! Kid gloves! We don't want to seem political!

I'll return to my, by now, tired metaphor of those who are inside the stadium watching the annual game unaware that there is a war in the streets just outside the entry gates. If they keep staring at the football game, the can tell themselves that it's all just a football game which is something safe and which they are familiar with.

Nobody,  me included, wants to wade into the war when everything else in our lives is so nice.

Just let me keep my TV, my toaster, and my steel-belted radials, and I won't say anything.

• Hook 'Em 2

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated