45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

What we're really concerned with on immunity questions is whether government officials can do their jobs without fear of civil or criminal prosecution. 

I do my job without (rational) fear of civil or criminal prosecution.  The way I do that is that I keep my word, I don't break contracts and I don't break the law.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

“Grand jury report released: A Georgia judge has released the full final report from the special grand jury that investigated Donald Trump and his allies' attempts to overturn the 2020 election in the state. The panel recommended charges against GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham and former GOP Sens. David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler, which Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis did not charge in the indictment last month against Trump and 18 other co-defendants.”

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Rage+1 5

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I do my job without (rational) fear of civil or criminal prosecution.  The way I do that is that I keep my word, I don't break contracts and I don't break the law.

Mostly this.  But sometimes when I'm at a stop light at 5:00 a.m. and nobody's around, I'll go.  I'm not proud to say that.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

“Grand jury report released: A Georgia judge has released the full final report from the special grand jury that investigated Donald Trump and his allies' attempts to overturn the 2020 election in the state. The panel recommended charges against GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham and former GOP Sens. David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler, which Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis did not charge in the indictment last month against Trump and 18 other co-defendants.”

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Yeah, here's 30 of the 39 people on the original list

F5gqN_QXUAA4zyX?format=jpg&name=large

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, obviously.  But some official duties can skirt close to the line, especially for civil cases, and you probably don't have political enemies that would like to sue you or prosecute you for reasons.

Here's the report.  https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23944943-read-georgia-special-grand-jury-report-on-trumps-election-interference

Kind of underwhelming, really.  Not a whole lot of findings.

The good thing, though, is that I don't think this provides much or any basis for grand jury misconduct.  The indicting grand jury didn't follow the recommendations literally, so the independence is pretty clear.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 9/7/2023 at 12:47 PM, Chewbacca said:

This is happening right now in CO.  I'm sure it ends up at the SC, as you say.  I have little faith they will do the right thing.

Further to this, here is another article on lawfare discussing it and in particular responses to an paper by Baude and Jefferson that argues how it should work. 

https://www.lawfaremedia.org/article/section-3-disqualifications-for-democracy-preservation

The Baude paper is cited in it.  But also here. 

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4532751

28 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Further to this, here is another article on lawfare discussing it and in particular responses to an paper by Baude and Jefferson that argues how it should work. 

https://www.lawfaremedia.org/article/section-3-disqualifications-for-democracy-preservation

The Baude paper is cited in it.  But also here. 

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4532751

Trump lawyers trying to get it moved to Federal court.  I'm sure they have some nefarious reason for that, but I'm not sure that it matters.  It's going to the Supremes, I think.

https://coloradosun.com/2023/09/08/trump-lawyers-move-insurrection-colorado-lawsuit/

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Trump lawyers trying to get it moved to Federal court.  I'm sure they have some nefarious reason for that, but I'm not sure that it matters.  It's going to the Supremes, I think.

https://coloradosun.com/2023/09/08/trump-lawyers-move-insurrection-colorado-lawsuit/

That's a much more routine form of removal than the stuff we've been talking about.

The state court petiton/complaint seems to raise a question "arising under the laws or Constitution of the United States," which thus entitles it to be heard in federal court.

Probably a better place for it, in all honesty.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, gernblansten said:

Which is something that is always a concern in trying to get 12 people on a jury on the same page. 

Yeah, with that backdrop, the decision not to indict Ladybugs, Loeffler and Perdue makes some sense, given it didn't seem to be just 1 or 2 ultra MAGAs that had doubts about including them, it was 4+ of 21.  Flynn and Epshteyn should have been included, though.

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Mark.  Buddy.  Amigo.

So.  Now is the time when you sing.  Like a motherfucking Canary.  Like fucking Mariah Carey and Pavarotti rolled into one.  Sing it all.  Every bit of it.  And maybe.  Just maybe, you keep your ass out of prison.

I just don't understand why he rolled on the fed stuff but not on the Georgia stuff. Does he really think he can beat the rap?

You know, we bought "Flatulence Barbie" and it's total bullshit.  If there's no hole down there, it can't make a farting sound.  That's how sound works.  Yet another bag of lies we were sold by Trump & Co.

Also fun fact, Look for Central Texas Congressman (not chip Roy) to make some noise on this later this month.  It's not September, but it's awfully close.  

27 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Yeah appears to be the case:

Solid opinion, I'm not sure I see any gaping holes in it.  https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.gand.319225/gov.uscourts.gand.319225.69.0.pdf

I'm not so sure Meadows had a lot of federal exposure in the first place, the charges in Georgia are pretty different.

Also, I think Meadows' main value to Smith, if he did come clean, was to provide evidence as to Trump's state of mind on January 6 and in the events leading up to it.  That's not even charged in Georgia.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Solid opinion, I'm not sure I see any gaping holes in it.  https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.gand.319225/gov.uscourts.gand.319225.69.0.pdf

I'm not so sure Meadows had a lot of federal exposure in the first place, the charges in Georgia are pretty different.

Also, I think Meadows' main value to Smith, if he did come clean, was to provide evidence as to Trump's state of mind on January 6 and in the events leading up to it.  That's not even charged in Georgia.

You know in revisiting this group of mugshots, it would appear that only Cheesy McFuckface really seems to understand just how royally fucked he is.  It's sort of jarring to see so many people who are likely to spend much of the rest of their live's in prison and be either in denial or oblivious.  Mind you, I don't feel bad for any of them, but it is odd.  

I just finished reading the entire thing. This is a very solid opinion. The court certainly goes out of its way to recognize all of the jurisprudence and testimony that might be favorable to Meadows, and carefully dissects why, given that evidence, removal is improper.

The only potential chink I see is in the one claimed overt act of a phone call to a Pennsylvania legislature, that the RICO complaint did not adequately describe as political in nature. The court relies heavily on prior cases mandating the trier of fact to look at the “heart“ of the alleged criminal activity claimed to be under color of Meadow’s job as chief of staff. The judge found that this one act cannot be said to be outside the scope of Meadow’s job. That leaves at least the small possibility that an appellate or supreme court would find that even one claimed criminal act that was within the scope of Meadow’s job would allow the whole damn thing to be removed.  
To find that would be extreme judicial activism, but SCOTUS is SCOTUS.   I think this thing is as airtight as you could possibly make it.  ( I also think the judge admitting and considering the unverified and non-notarized Meadows affidavit - over the state’s objection - was a smart strategic move that helped slam the door on Meadows appellate chances. )
  • Hook 'Em 3

My angry bias aside, I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw Melania with him in person.  It's been months IIRC.  The court/jail apperances, the rallies, the pre-recorded deals with the weird filter on his website/social media app, the speeches/interviews, Iowa, etc.  Seriously, my bullshit aside...it's been at least several weeks if not months, no?  I've seen Casey DeSantis every other day.  Former first ladies usually fade pretty elegantly into obscurity, but she's supposed to be actively campaigning with/for her husband.  And nowhere to be found.  Certainly plausible if Barron was still a youngster like in 2015/16.  But how much Balkan cum can she swallow before she's finally like, "Yeah, I should probably head back to New Hampshire and put on a fake smile...I'm not totally set for life yet so gotta play the part.  Any of you six fellas have any mouthwash in your bag?"  

Why are we not actively in pre-production of a film entitled "The Balkanization of Melania Trump"?  It's a three-tiered story of a woman run afoul.  The denouement writes itself.  As does the bukkake ending.  All the while, wrapped up international intrigue and an entrapped marriage so forged from impulsive convenience, it came with a burrito and slurpee.  

37 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

My angry bias aside, I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw Melania with him in person.  It's been months IIRC.  The court/jail apperances, the rallies, the pre-recorded deals with the weird filter on his website/social media app, the speeches/interviews, Iowa, etc.  Seriously, my bullshit aside...it's been at least several weeks if not months, no?  I've seen Casey DeSantis every other day.  Former first ladies usually fade pretty elegantly into obscurity, but she's supposed to be actively campaigning with/for her husband.  And nowhere to be found.  Certainly plausible if Barron was still a youngster like in 2015/16.  But how much Balkan cum can she swallow before she's finally like, "Yeah, I should probably head back to New Hampshire and put on a fake smile...I'm not totally set for life yet so gotta play the part.  Any of you six fellas have any mouthwash in your bag?"  

Melania disappearing off the face of the earth post-election was the most predictable thing ever.

• Like 3