45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

13 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Again, I gotta give Commander Dipshit credit.  Literally just received a Summary Judgement indicating he unlawfully misstated financial assets and valuations in order to defraud legitimate banks.  So what does he do? Publicly states his $18mm valuation is easily worth 100x that amount as a basis for invalidating the accusation that he mis-represents his assets.  

Now, MAGA apologists will come forward and say there's a difference between mis-stating to the IRS, to a bank, and then to the general public via media/marketing channels.  Fine, I'll entertain that notion.  Before bed tonight, go to your mailbox.  In it, you will find 2 or 3 marketing mail pieces from various female realtors with soft lighting and a popped collar indicating they are experts in your area.  on the other side will be homes they are currently listing to show you their sales expertise.  The home price will be listed as $1,800,000.  May sell for a bit more, may sell for a bit less.  What they won't do is put in print, "F/S: $1,800,000 which could easily be worth 100x that amount."  Because that's called fraud and Linda would lose her license by mass distributing that through the mail.  At the very worst, she'd fuck over every banking and title relationship she ever had.

But what does MAGA nation do?  They send him more money.  

No way maga nation understands this case. Hell 15 years ago they were getting evicted as a result of lying on their mortgage applications. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Three things here, Eric.

1.  Nobody there with $5 to their name refers to it as "Palm Beach Island."  It's just Palm Beach.  

2.  If you read "it is a travesty of Justice and embarrassment to the court" in Cecily Strong's voice from W/U "Girl you wish you hadn't talked to at a party", this whole thing gets really funny for a few moments.  And we need to laugh more, Eric.  

3.  You've been in commercial real estate for what, Eric?  15 years?  I don't want to shock you here, but you are using Zillow.  Which is a residential real estate valuation/transaction tool for residences.  And you're using it compare single-family private residences to a commercial real estate development called Mar-a-Lago, a golf resort and events venue.  That's not how comps work, Eric.  You don't get to claim your business is worth the same amount as the mansion is down the street because they're not the same asset class with the same valuation/underwriting metrics.  This would be understandable if you were some vindictive soon-to-be ex wife from a Balkan country where a woman's worth is weighed in the cum she slurps prior to becoming First Lady.  But you're supposed to be...you know...in real estate.  I'd say you're comparing apples to oranges, but your dumbass would yell, "No Lobo, there's no oranges here, okay!  This is prime real estate...the citrus is grown further inland!"  Every time I think you're not mentally disabled, you surprise me.  And I thank you for it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Cbs What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Is that supposed to be significant in the legal world?

Being sanctioned by a judge for frivolous pleadings is significant if you were only fined $100.   Given the jurisprudence, it is actually difficult to be found to be engaging in frivolous filings.    The overriding philosophy is to allow great leeway to counsel in crafting novel legal theories and strategies even though they might be ultimately unsuccessful.    In granting this leeway the system makes sure that the law remains a vibrant force in our contemporary changing world, and that the law does not become so moribund that it evolves into the type of out-of-touch jurisprudence one had at the turn of the 20th century in the freedom of contract era. 

Oh, I guess I feel that more as a Louisiana lawyer, as Louisiana does not follow the common law doctrine of precedent.  We follow the civilian concept of jurisprudence constante.  Since the civil code and statutes are the Genesis of our law, it is theoretically possible for any judge in any case to consider the Code and decide that prior judicial interpretations got it wrong.    In other words, we in Louisiana have a special affinity to filing stuff that is often contrary to established caselaw.    But even we know enough that, after we are chastised by the judge and get our knuckles wrapped, we do not file the same exact shit a month later. Trump’s counsel apparently did not figure this out. 

Given the extraordinary amount of leeway that courts usually give in presenting novel legal theories, you really have to screw the pooch and stick your middle finger in the judge’s face to be sanctioned the way trump’s lawyers were.   

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Here we go.  A measured, appropriate response to today's ruling:

F6_OsnXW4AEJTJk?format=jpg&name=large

30% of American voters view the above as truth.  25% are so uninterested/uninvolved/muh guns/abortion, that they'll vote whichever way their one-issue wind blows.  We are on a razor-thin edge to keep our democracy.  Scary.  Fucking. Shit. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Being sanctioned by a judge for frivolous pleadings is significant if you were only fined $100.   Given the jurisprudence, it is actually difficult to be found to be engaging in frivolous filings.    The overriding philosophy is to allow great leeway to counsel in crafting novel legal theories and strategies even though they might be ultimately unsuccessful.    In granting this leeway the system makes sure that the law remains a vibrant force in our contemporary changing world, and that the law does not become so moribund that it evolves into the type of out-of-touch jurisprudence one had at the turn of the 20th century in the freedom of contract era. 

Oh, I guess I feel that more as a Louisiana lawyer, as Louisiana does not follow the common law doctrine of precedent.  We follow the civilian concept of jurisprudence constante.  Since the civil code and statutes are the Genesis of our law, it is theoretically possible for any judge in any case to consider the Code and decide that prior judicial interpretations got it wrong.    In other words, we in Louisiana have a special affinity to filing stuff that is often contrary to established caselaw.    But even we know enough that, after we are chastised by the judge and get our knuckles wrapped, we do not file the same exact shit a month later. Trump’s counsel apparently did not figure this out. 

Given the extraordinary amount of leeway that courts usually give in presenting novel legal theories, you really have to screw the pooch and stick your middle finger in the judge’s face to be sanctioned the way trump’s lawyers were.   

Yes, because Americans and their lawyers have essentially the right to file bullshit lawsuits (some of which don't turn out to be bullshit after all), it's hard to get sanctioned.

That right, then, mitigates the severity of the sanctions:  they usually are not intended to put a lawyer out of business or a client in the poorhouse, but mostly to signify that they crossed the line that permits bullshit lawsuits and wandered into complete and utter bullshit of the purest ray serene.

• Like 2

30% of American voters view the above as truth.  25% are so uninterested/uninvolved/muh guns/abortion, that they'll vote whichever way their one-issue wind blows.  We are on a razor-thin edge to keep our democracy.  Scary.  Fucking. Shit. 

Shit…it’s the pathetic infantile language that chaps my ass the most. If you deleted “at levels never seen before” from all of his writing, he’d lose 30% of his word count.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Shit…it’s the pathetic infantile language that chaps my ass the most. If you deleted “at levels never seen before” from all of his writing, he’d lose 30% of his word count.

If you're going to say the same bullshit over and over and over again, some prosaic variation should be required.

I mean, shit, look at us.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yes, because Americans and their lawyers have essentially the right to file bullshit lawsuits (some of which don't turn out to be bullshit after all), it's hard to get sanctioned. .

i’m sitting in the house that I bought as a young lawyer after a judge bought one of my bullshit civil Rico enterprise theories….which led to a very nice settlement.

Within months of that, a federal judge sanctioned a plaintiffs lawyer in my state to repay $100,000 to defendants in a similar unsuccessful civil RICO action.   YIKES!!  Which is all to say, if there is a fine line between creative lawyering and frivolous bullshit, it is not always that clear a view. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I've read the ruling on summary judgment and it seems pretty sound.

The key thing to understand is that the provision under which James sued, in addition to providing remedies for classic common-law fraud,* also provides a remedy for acts that have a "tendency to deceive" or "create an atmosphere conducive to fraud."  That's where ol Don gets hooked through the bag, here.

*common-law fraud, almost everywhere, requires a knowing false statement, about a material fact, on which the recipient justifiably relies, to the damage or detriment of the recipeint.  The materiality, justifiable reliance, and damage or detriment elements probably mean that Trump would not be liable for ordinary fraud, because of the disclaimers, the sophistication of the lenders, and the lack of loss to the lenders.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

i’m sitting in the house that I bought as a young lawyer after a judge bought one of my bullshit civil Rico enterprise theories….which led to a very nice settlement.

Within months of that, a federal judge sanctioned a plaintiffs lawyer in my state to repay $100,000 to defendants in a similar unsuccessful civil RICO action.   YIKES!!  Which is all to say, if there is a fine line between creative lawyering and frivolous bullshit, it is not always that clear a view. 

What is says to me is that forum shopping pays off. 

59 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

What is says to me is that forum shopping pays off. 

My only choice was federal court in New Orleans or federal court in the Northeast where the bank was located.   To be honest, I have no idea as to the facts or forum possibilities in that other case…other than a Louisiana federal middle district judge they used to call the Ayatollah Polozola sanctioned the plaintiff.  So, no.  

I use the adjective “similar” too loosely, as the only similarity was that it was also a Civil Rico complaint. 

From the article:

His gaudy Trump Tower apartment, his golf courses, his Boeing 757 jet and even Mar-a-Lago could all be disposed of by a court-appointed monitor, leaving Trump with not much more than his pensions as a one term president and a television performer.

I was wondering if "Trump Force One" was included in this. 

The issue summed up in a single tweet:

Thought - if Trump took out massive loans against all of these properties at well over their actual value then how far under water is he going to be once the fire sale starts? 

It really looks like he is ruined and no amount of MAGA donations will be able to make up for it. 

Keep in mind that the cash burn rate of his PAC is exceeding intakes due to his legal bills and he cannot get anything from the GOP until he is formally the nominee. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I asked to have my previous username/posting history erased for the benefit of myself and surly owners for a project with UT where I had to disclose any social/online media presence in which I ever discussed anything to do with UT.  I came back many months later, unrelated to that first thing, to glean some fraternity and advice from some guys I know going through something else in life that proved/proves immensely helpful.  

it's not remotely close to the same thing.  But as usual, your insight is stunningly impressive.  I bet you were one of the first 500 posters to figure out I used to post as Lobo, after I said it dozens of times.  If your incessantly whiny ass wants me to go away, don't worry about being subtle.  He falsified financial records.  I got a new handle on a site about tits and football because I needed advice from bearschlong and some others.  Totally the same thing.  It's impossible you're this fucking stupid, but here you are.  

blah GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

blah GIF

Yeah man, we moved on past that intra-thread exchange a day ago.  It's all good.  Move on.  We get to watch millions of Americans lose whatever cognitive function they have left in real time unfold before our very eyes.  

If we're half-smart, there's a grift in here somewhere which raises money from MAGA nation to "save Mar-a-Lago!"  Something like "This proud and historic resort which is the White House of the South is under attack from political judges and liberal cabals!  With just a $500 donation, we can work with President Trump to maintain this illustrious property and keep it out of the hands of Crooked Joe Biden and the Weaponized DOJ!"  Meanwhile, it's in foreclosure/receivership/admin workout with nothing to do with Biden or the Democrats. But by the time they figure they out, we'll be up the intercoastal, sitting on the beach, earning 20%.  

26 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah man, we moved on past that intra-thread exchange a day ago.  It's all good.  Move on.  We get to watch millions of Americans lose whatever cognitive function they have left in real time unfold before our very eyes.  

If we're half-smart, there's a grift in here somewhere which raises money from MAGA nation to "save Mar-a-Lago!"  Something like "This proud and historic resort which is the White House of the South is under attack from political judges and liberal cabals!  With just a $500 donation, we can work with President Trump to maintain this illustrious property and keep it out of the hands of Crooked Joe Biden and the Weaponized DOJ!"  Meanwhile, it's in foreclosure/receivership/admin workout with nothing to do with Biden or the Democrats. But by the time they figure they out, we'll be up the intercoastal, sitting on the beach, earning 20%.  

Dance Fun GIF by Gogglebox Australia

You'd think a former President living in a $1.8 billion property would be bigger news.  I mean, how did he swing that considering he donated his Presidential salary all those years?  I love that he's still tweeting this shit out despite being under investigation for over-inflating property values for preferred term sheets.  The next phase of FAFO and is there are people at some of these lending institutions that were complicit in this.  They knew he was lying but they went along with it to deploy the loans and collect the fees/commissions.  These are not people who are Soros or Pelosi plants.  They were just greedy bankers, nothing rare or unusual.  They're going to flip on him en masse to avoid losing jobs or prison time.  And then spend the rest of their lives looking over their shoulder for that one MAGA loyalist who thinks they were in on the deep state conspiracy to undermine the orange billionaire's empire.  

I almost feel bad for Eric.  Dumbass signed most the underwriting affidavits in the last decade.  He as to "touched by God" to know what he was getting himself into.  Now he's looking at this shit like, "Wow Dad!  Look how much some of our buildings are worth now!"  To which Trump has to somberly reply, "Eric, the number on the right is bigger than the old one on the left, yes.  But see those parentheses around the larger number, you don't know what that means do you?"  Eric replies, "Aw c'mon dad, you know I'm that good at spelling."  

I can't believe this was the first family of the United States.  I'll never fucking get it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just a reminder that the reason this partial summary judgment occurred without a jury is because Alina Habba didn't file the paperwork in time for a jury trial. 

She's likely the one feeding him this bullshit I'd guess.

Also note that ALL of his lawyers in this case got sanctioned including Chris Kise.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 9/25/2023 at 3:05 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Ugh, as a Palmetto State Armory customer, I'm aware of their politics and don't really mind them but hosting somebody under felony indictment really seems gross. 

Also check out Jamin McCallum's super terrible gun safety and handling on display in this video. @Brisketexan what would your father done if he had seen you do this? I know what mine would have done. 

Shame they didn't have the armorer from that Baldwin western.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

From the article:

Thought - if Trump took out massive loans against all of these properties at well over their actual value then how far under water is he going to be once the fire sale starts? 

It really looks like he is ruined and no amount of MAGA donations will be able to make up for it. 

Keep in mind that the cash burn rate of his PAC is exceeding intakes due to his legal bills and he cannot get anything from the GOP until he is formally the nominee. 

I don't think it's accurate to state that any of this stuff is presently or soon to be subject to forced sale.  I've explained why above.

Life and business in NY state just got a lot more difficult for Trump, but this is not, as of yet, a bankruptcy-style liquidation, or anything like it.

Were there any lending institutions that actually made loans to Trump on the assumption that Mar-A-Lago is worth $1.5B?  There has to be more to it than "OK, we'll take your word for it".  As in, kickbacks, money laundering, other forms of corruption.  If I went to a bank for a personal loan and claimed my house is worth $125M I'd be laughed out of the place.

11 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Just a reminder that the reason this partial summary judgment occurred without a jury is because Alina Habba didn't file the paperwork in time for a jury trial. 

Also note that ALL of his lawyers in this case got sanctioned including Chris Kise.

Just a note.  Summary judgment occurs irrespective of a demand for jury trial.  The essence of it is that there are no facts necessary for judgment to be developed or considered at trial, either before a jury or the bench.

Do you have a cite for the notion that Habba didn't timely file a demand for jury trial?  I'm not 100% sure a jury trial is available for this kind of thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

From the article:

Someone put Trump's head on this GIF:

4oEB.gif

18 minutes ago, The Dog said:

seth-meyers-doing-chef-s-kiss-mragtzusd3

6 minutes ago, royiv said:

Palm Beach County should increase the appraisal on Mar-a-lago to $1.8 billion since that what Trump says its worth and send him a revised property tax bill. FAFO.

jack-nicholson-jack.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Were there any lending institutions that actually made loans to Trump on the assumption that Mar-A-Lago is worth $1.5B?  There has to be more to it than "OK, we'll take your word for it".  As in, kickbacks, money laundering, other forms of corruption.  If I went to a bank for a personal loan and claimed my house is worth $125M I'd be laughed out of the place.

Again, this isn't quite like a home mortgage deal.  The AG doesn't have to prove that a bank relied on the false statements, or suffered any loss.  Basically just the fact that they were repeatedly false and actually used in business transactions is sufficient.

10 minutes ago, royiv said:

Palm Beach County should increase the appraisal on Mar-a-lago to $1.8 billion since that what Trump says its worth and send him a revised property tax bill. FAFO.

Worth noting that the judge didn't assign any values to anything.  He wisely held that he didn't have to choose a "correct" valuation for anything, just accurately denote the inflation in Trump's valuations.

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Just a note.  Summary judgment occurs irrespective of a demand for jury trial.  The essence of it is that there are no facts necessary for judgment to be developed or considered at trial, either before a jury or the bench.

Do you have a cite for the notion that Habba didn't timely file a demand for jury trial?  I'm not 100% sure a jury trial is available for this kind of thing.

it was something said on MeidasTouch and on Brian Cohen's shows. that's where I got that. Think it was Popok's show. 

I always take what they say with a grain of salt but it kind of dovetails with everything else so I ran with it at the risk of getting waaay out over my skis.

3 minutes ago, The Dog said:

it was something said on MeidasTouch and on Brian Cohen's shows. that's where I got that. Think it was Popok's show. 

I always take what they say with a grain of salt but it kind of dovetails with everything else so I ran with it at the risk of getting waaay out over my skis.

Just curious.  That's a pretty grievous error if it happened.  I notice the docket is pretty front-end loaded with a bunch of different stuff going on, motions to dismiss, preliminary injunctions, trying to get it sent to Commercial Division.  Could well have been overlooked.

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Worth noting that the judge didn't assign any values to anything.  He wisely held that he didn't have to choose a "correct" valuation for anything, just accurately denote the inflation in Trump's valuations.

Of course, but Trump has told us that his financial statements are ironclad. He should be paying his property taxes on his ironclad appraisals if he's so sure of them. Let's see how he would react to that.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

MAL needs 30 million in renovations to get rid of all of Trump’s hideous “decorations”. Shoulda listened to his realtor when he said don’t over do it because it turns off the next buyer. 

It's got bathrooms with chandeliers! That place is a bargain at $1.8 billion!

image.png.10d57388305d010c6678a8bee4e6e551.png

• Haha 1