45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Do we go so far as to require divestiture of hospitality or any other business that could be patronized by foreigners or others to curry favor with the administration?

Yes.  We should absolutely do that.  And I say it across the fucking board.  I don't care if the guy running for POTUS just owns a Buick dealership....because gosh golly, it will turn out that the Saudis decide they need an all-new fleet of vehicles to serve their needs here in the US, and they just randomly placed an order for 200 top-of-the-line Buick Enclaves, paying full sticker price, at President Jimmy Don Earl's Buck Emporium.  Just a coincidence, I guess!

Some professions/businesses are incompatible with holding the office of President.  Maybe your gig is providing military advice to foreign armies.  Cool.  Have at it.  Get paid.  But you can't keep up that hustle and be POTUS.

• Hook 'Em 5

33 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Because the malfeasance, and him getting away with it, proves how powerful he is, getting one over on "the man.".

Normally people might not admire murdering scum, but if you think back to Bonnie and Clyde and Dillinger, a large portion of the country had been screwed over by the man in the form of banks, and such, and we’re totally happy to see as heroes some really wretched individuals who murdered cops execution style after they gave up their weapons.   ‘Cause, ‘Murkins!

That Support Robin Hood against The Man mindset is a long tradition. I saw George Wallace give a stump speech in rural Florida, where he railed against the “pointy headed intellectuals who think they are better than us”.  People think of him as just a nut-job deep south racist, but in 1968 he won the Michigan primary. His slogan,  “Stand Up For America”, meant “Keep Other People Down…For America”.  

He was a proto-MAGA. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Yes. Jimmy Carter sold the peanut farm that had been in his family for generations.

You sign up for this kind of shit when you become president. There has to be some sort of sacrifice because of all of the power you get

Apparently not true.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2023/02/24/fact-check-jimmy-carter-put-peanut-farm-blind-trust-during-term-president/11340029002/

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Normally people might not admire murdering scum, but if you think back to Bonnie and Clyde and Dillinger, a large portion of the country had been screwed over by the man in the form of banks, and such, and we’re totally happy to see as heroes some really wretched individuals who murdered cops execution style after they gave up their weapons.   ‘Cause, ‘Murkins!

That Support Robin Hood against The Man mindset is a long tradition. I saw George Wallace give a stump speech in rural Florida, where he railed against the “pointy headed intellectuals who think they are better than us”.  People think of him as just a nut-job deep south racist, but in 1968 he won the Michigan primary. His slogan,  “Stand Up For America”, meant “Keep Other People Down…For America”.  

He was a proto-MAGA. 

Bingo.  The phenomenon of the "downtrodden" supporting a shitbag populist precisely BECAUSE he's getting away with being a shitbag, thus sticking it to the man/the system, is nothing new.  And to state it in simple and direct terms here:

The MAGAts don't love Trump in spite of the fact that he's an open and proud criminal, they love him BECAUSE of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

This sounds really bad, and I hate that I'm saying this, but... meh.  We already know that he kept his businesses, including his hotels, and that foreign diplomats frequently stayed at his DC and NY hotels. 

It's shady, for sure.  I just don't see the breaking news aspect of it.

Can you imagine the breaking news aspect had Obama taken 8 million from foreign governments?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wait, he did let him talk? FUcking why?

Maybe only because there’s no jury so there’s no harm done. The judge knows what made it into evidence and won’t be persuaded by any of that grandstanding. Also, one less issue for the appellate courts - I’ve seen judges go out of there way to grant every procedural/evidentiary ruling to a party only to grant judgment for the other side. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, Pig Bellmont said:

Maybe only because there’s no jury so there’s no harm done. The judge knows what made it into evidence and won’t be persuaded by any of that grandstanding. Also, one less issue for the appellate courts - I’ve seen judges go out of there way to grant every procedural/evidentiary ruling to a party only to grant judgment for the other side. 

Yeah, on the one hand, there's no reason to give him any time and no reason to think he can abide by the rules of closing.

On the other hand, it's a bench trial and Engoron won't be misled or prejudiced by it.

He hasn't let Trump get away with much, but he has given him plenty of leeway to fuck it up.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Because the malfeasance, and him getting away with it, proves how powerful he is, getting one over on "the man."

Remember how much of America (well....non-black America) was shocked when the OJ acquittal verdict was announced, and lots of black people openly celebrated it?  That wasn't because they were happy that OJ killed Nicole and Ron.  They were happy because one of them, a people who had gotten the shitty end of the stick in the justice system over and over and over, got one over on that very justice system.  The fact that everyone knew OJ murdered two people was functionally irrelevant to their thinking; it was all about the fact that in SPITE of the evidence being against him, he beat the system.

For MAGAts, it's similar.  They hate "the system/the deep state."  No, they really don't even know what it is (at least black Americans had a pretty firm grasp on the justice system of the police and the courts, and how they had been fucked by them for a long-ass time).  So, the fact that their guy can openly and blatantly violate laws, rules, and norms, and "the system/the deep state" can't seem to stop him only makes him MORE of their hero.

That is also why it is imperative that the rule of law crush him, and grind him to fucking dust.  Above-board, in the open, and by-the-book.  He's a fucking criminal with contempt for our laws.  Treat him as such, and get the fucking result.

He’s Stone Cold Steve Austin sticking it to Vince McMahon and the WWE guvment.

stone-cold-steve-austin-stunner.gif

If he hadn't originally denied Trump's request to speak it wouldn't really be a big deal. It'd be annoying that Trump continued to get away with little shit that other people would get thrown in jail for, but it wouldn't have been news or had any impact for more than a day. But denying Trump's request, then receiving a bomb threat and backtracking and letting him speak, sends a horrible signal to Trump's supporters.

• Rage+1 3

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The fact that everyone knew OJ murdered two people was functionally irrelevant to their thinking; it was all about the fact that in SPITE of the evidence being against him, he beat the system.

Don’t ignore the widespread corruption and hatred in the LAPD and that cops were caught manipulating evidence in the OJ case. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Can you imagine the breaking news aspect had Obama taken 8 million from foreign governments?

Yeah, well what if it was 8 million tan suits? Think of that 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

"...and in Jesus Built My Hotrod Jesus said 'binga dang dong a ding dong a bang bang binga dang dong a bwaaa'...."

Yeah, but he was an architect, previous to his career as a prophet

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wait, he did let him talk? FUcking why?

52 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Terrible capitulation by Engoron. He effectively just told Trump and his supporters that bomb threats work. 

Because our government kowtows to fascists regularly. 

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yes oh this is surely the evidence you have been looking for. 🙄

Look motherfucker, do consequences exist for fucking around in a courtroom or not? Literally anybody else NOT named "Donald Trump" would be getting contempt rulings and the fucking book thrown at them FOR INSTIGATING FUCKING BOMB THREATS AGAINST THEIR JUDGE!!!

Failure to punish these out outbursts like they would with ANY other citizen is just another instance of using kid gloves with trump and the fascists. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

51 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

I'm not sure because it didn't happen.  What do you think?  More, or less than wearing a tan suit?

I think had Obama been found to have received 8 million dollars from foreign governments, he would have been impeached, convicted and driven from office. Trump is a living, breathing example of real white privilege - not the fake king Nancy Mace referred to in yesterday’s House hearing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yes oh this is surely the evidence you have been looking for. 🙄

Keep on telling us this is how it works as he steamrolls the justice system.  And let me know when the bankruptcy trustee actually makes Alex Jones' family disgorge the money he sent to them before he filed.  That one should be a fucking slam dunk and nothing.  Crickets.

• Rage+1 1

27 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Because our government kowtows to fascists regularly. 

Look motherfucker, do consequences exist for fucking around in a courtroom or not? Literally anybody else NOT named "Donald Trump" would be getting contempt rulings and the fucking book thrown at them FOR INSTIGATING FUCKING BOMB THREATS AGAINST THEIR JUDGE!!!

Failure to punish these out outbursts like they would with ANY other citizen is just another instance of using kid gloves with trump and the fascists. 

Wrong. I have clients go on rants at the judge all the time. Sometimes directly calling a judge "mothefucker" or worse. Judges patiently wait for the outburst to end, and move on.

Why do you continue to argue with such certainty over issues you are unfamiliar with? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

New York Times

Jan. 11, 2024, 2:55 p.m. 
Nate Schweber

As Mr. Trump concluded his remarks in the lobby of his building at 40 Wall Street, a crowd of more than 100 onlookers, mainly young men who had entered via a back door, overwhelmed security and surged forward, bellowing. Mr. Trump, who had walked out of sight, returned. Standing before the crowd, he raised his right fist, pumped it, and opened his palm in a diagonal wave. The crowd screamed for him and came within around 50 feet, as Secret Service agents and building security failed to hold them back.

What is going on here?

15 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Wrong. I have clients go on rants at the judge all the time. Sometimes directly calling a judge "mothefucker" or worse. Judges patiently wait for the outburst to end, and move on.

Why do you continue to argue with such certainty over issues you are unfamiliar with? 

Have you had any clients get a bomb threat sent to the home of a judge that you saw the next morning? Did you read the email exchange that was posted yesterday regarding Trump talking today?  It was done.  Open and shut and Trump wasn't going to speak today.  And then he did.

20 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Engoron is the biggest pussy this side of Merrick Garland.

Oh geezus christ.  This is not true.

Dollars to donuts, he gave Trumpco 20 minutes to close, with five mintues left, they reiterated their request and Engoron said fuck it, all he can do is waste five minutes.

Voila.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Bullshit move by the judge but ultimately meaningless. Judgment is gonna be big, the biggest, many people are saying so, just enormous, horrible judgment, just horrible.

Edited by 'stache
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Oh geezus christ.  This is not true.

Dollars to donuts, he gave Trumpco 20 minutes to close, with 15 left, they reiterated their request and Engoron said fuck it, all he can do is waste five minutes.

Voila.

the other key about it is that it further enhances his bulletproof-ness on appeal.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Just now, 'stache said:

Bullshit move by the judge but ultimately meaningless. Judgment is gonna be big, the biggest, many people are saying so, just enormous, horrible judgment, just horrible.

It really is meaningless.  Just a complete nothingburger.

22 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Reads like a community college freshman that hasn't attended a single class emailing their professor the week after Thanksgiving.

I always like these guys. Not like the meek little rule-followers who just show up and learn stuff. They're sort of European, where you attend lectures, or don't, then the results of one exam determine whether you become the under-secretary of non-development, or else just sit around a cafe by the train station smoking cigarettes.

• Haha 4

At this point, let him speak. I can't imagine any moderates are leaning towards him and any "reasonable" R's are becoming less and less interested in voting at all (at least the ones I know). Yea, he's whipping his base up into a frenzy each time but his base, his true base (the Jan 6 crowd, the racist, homophobic, anti-women, fascist loving crowd), I don't think is that large.

8 minutes ago, sidis said:

the other key about it is that it further enhances his bulletproof-ness on appeal.

I think Engoron has been pretty masterful at dropping the hammer when appropriate without getting carried away with the personal pique that Trump and his team richly deserve.

He's handled it like a 20 year federal judge rather than an elected one with 10 years experience.

Nothing about this would be an appealable/reversible error, but it is yet another data point of Engoron accomodating Trump to the reasonable and beyond, without putting up with much of his bullshit.

Edited by TwiceHorn

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It really is meaningless.  Just a complete nothingburger.

I'm just fucking sick of him getting his way. He wasn't supposed to talk! And if he went off the rails, he's to be fined $50k. Well?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, safe sex said:

I'm just fucking sick of him getting his way. He wasn't supposed to talk! And if he went off the rails, he's to be fined $50k. Well?

it is extremely frustrating and an exemplification of how celebrities/wealthy/etc... have a double standard.

that said, as i said earlier, the primary concern procedurally for any state court judge in a bench trial is not making an error on not allowing evidence/facts/testimony in that would allow an appellate court to say that decision was prejudicial or in violation of due process/constitutional rights/etc...  for good reason by the way.  but when it is a bench trial, the judge has no jury to protect so they can put it all towards weight and take that arrow out of any appellant's quiver.  that's why things like dauberting experts is a more tedious process in a jury trial than a bench trial.  letting trump run a clown show pointlessly to the trier of fact (the judge) who clearly sees what a piece of shit he is actually undermines trump's ability to try and undo any of it through the appellate process.  they completely fucked themselves on their outcome in this trial and one of its potential appellate paths so he could have a pointless tantrum.

him getting his way is insanely frustrating when the piece of shit should have been shot to mars by now but in this case, there's a bit of napoleon at play here...giving him the rope to hang himself.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Afterward, there wasn't a dry eye in the courtroom.  Justice Erdogan gaving him a standing ovation and declared it to be a perfect closing.

The bailiff came up to him, a big strong man with tears in his eyes....

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Also, the threatened 50k fine was only if he violated the existing gag order, again, which he did not.  See Engoron email of 1/5 at 13:18.

• Hook 'Em 2