45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Thought there might be news. Silly me. It's all beach fleshlights and lawyer talk.

We were talking about fistfights that almost happened in courthouses, but I was hoping we’d talk about fistfights that landed us in courthouses.  

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Moving on

tenor.gif

Trump loses bid to delay $83.3 million E. Jean Carroll judgment

Judge Kaplan: “Mr. Trump's current situation is a result of his own dilatory actions. He has had since January 26 to organize his finances with the knowledge that he might need to bond this judgment, yet he waited until 25 days after the jury verdict …to file his prior motion for an unsecured or partially secured stay pending resolution of post-trial motions. … Accordingly, the present application for administrative stay is denied.”

image.thumb.png.a86a152599fe8d39c22964f2aab3cce4.png

I fail to see how this involves Hall and Oates.  Quit threadshitting.

Also, fuck that fucking guy.  I like him taking the L, but we need him to take a brutal, no-coming-back-from-this L, and right soon.

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That order will be violated in a timespan that can be measured in milliseconds.

And there will be no consequences.

Just wait till Twice as to tell everybody what is meant by the overturning of the Trump jury conviction under the theory of “equipoise.”

6 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Just wait till Twice as to tell everybody what is meant by the overturning of the Trump jury conviction under the theory of “equipoise.”

"Equipoise" was an underrated Hall and Oates album, no doubt about it.

18 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Equipoise sounds like an adult diaper. Very fitting for Trump except for all the unsightly bunching.

13 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Alas, I had jury duty in November.  This is the jury I wanted to be selected for. Sigh.

Given the increasingly-decreasing abilities and aptitudes of Trump's attorney's, I could foresee your being on the voir dire panel, their taking the time to read all of your posts on Surly, and their allowing you to end up on the jury without objection.  This missed opportunity is a loss for us all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

So if he posted the bond in his name and someone else fronted the money, what are the tax implications on a $92M gift.

Yes, I know he cheats on his taxes, but that's how they got Capone.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Apparently underwritten by Chubb insurance group.  Don't know anything about them.  

I don't know....but I would heavily bet.....that they fronted the cash based on pledges of security of his ACTUAL interest in ACTUAL assets (not what he SAYS he has, but what he actually has, based on what they are actually worth).  Because after recent history, no legit, real outfit (and Chubb isn't some made-up deal, they've been around a long time) is going to front cash without serious fucking security backing it.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I don't know....but I would heavily bet.....that they fronted the cash based on pledges of security of his ACTUAL interest in ACTUAL assets (not what he SAYS he has, but what he actually has, based on what they are actually worth).  Because after recent history, no legit, real outfit (and Chubb isn't some made-up deal, they've been around a long time) is going to front cash without serious fucking security backing it.

Saudi Prince Friends GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

For all we know, Chubb is the insurer on the 737 and that is the collateral, which assuming that is free and clear is probably about right (a rather large assumption, I'll grant).  

22 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Apparently underwritten by Chubb insurance group.  Don't know anything about them.  

I've got an agreed value policy through CHUBB on my older boat.  They've faithfully taken my money for years.

Edited by dcbc

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well that is interesting that he submitted an actual bond rather than cash. Guess that means he ain't got the cash. 

The bond writer, you can be relatively sure, has encumbered 91M of Trump assets of some sort.  The less liquid, the more the fees. 

It's not at all surprising to me, his whole life is a game of three card monty, and when you do that he's constantly robbing peter to pay paul, which means you never actually have anything that isn't going right back out to keep the scheme going.  When it's all said and done, I think we are going to find out that he's upside down several billion dollars.  The good news, in a couple of weeks the State of New York is going to start that process.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Normally I’d say a billionaire that has $500 million cash should just put up the money. 

but trump’s entire life and ethos is to have other people’s money work for him.  If that bond is collareralized, I’m sure he has a plan to thwart that if Chubb dares try to collect. 

Well that is interesting that he submitted an actual bond rather than cash. Guess that means he ain't got the cash. 
The bond writer, you can be relatively sure, has encumbered 91M of Trump assets of some sort.  The less liquid, the more the fees. 
The pretty great news is that Jean Carroll is fully secured now on both her judgments and if any part of either is affirmed, she gettin paid. 
Yep. She's getting paid after appeal. She might be the only one who does.
Normally I’d say a billionaire that has $500 million cash should just put up the money. 

but trump’s entire life and ethos is to have other people’s money work for him.  If that bond is collareralized, I’m sure he has a plan to thwart that if Chubb dares try to collect. 
He's not going to be able to stop them.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If Chubb pays on that bond they are coming after his ass hammer and tongs. 

They aren't some in the bag lender like DB that will be stuck with a foreclosure choice and cost.  Their only angle on this is the fees they have presumably already received. I'm sure those were healthy, but not enough to stomach a loss on the bond,which will be immediate and liquidated in amount if it comes to pass. There's no dilemma of refinancing or continuing to take payments or foreclosure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The pretty great news is that Jean Carroll is fully secured now on both her judgments and if any part of either is affirmed, she gettin paid. 

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

If Chubb pays on that bond they are coming after his ass hammer and tongs. 

They aren't some in the bag lender like DB that will be stuck with a foreclosure choice and cost.  Their only angle on this is the fees they have presumably already received. I'm sure those were healthy, but not enough to stomach a loss on the bond,which will be immediate and liquidated in amount if it comes to pass. There's no dilemma of refinancing or continuing to take payments or foreclosure. 

These.

Because he posted a bond rather than cash, he had to pay cash to Chubb for the service of them posting the bond.  Even if it was just 10% (and that's a low rate, from what I understand of that market), he had to pay them $9 million+, and that money is spent and gone, no matter what happens on appeal.  THEN, if he loses the appeal, Carroll just closes on the bond, and gets paid in full.

THEN, Chubb goes after the pledged assets to make itself whole.  And if it didn't get pledge security that is free-and-clear of other encumbrances that has a value more than sufficient to cover the bond, they're dumb as fuck.  That's possible, but unlikely.   NOW, could there be some shenanigan money laundering going on -- maybe the asset Trump pledged (with, ummm, a "co-signer" type) is an account somewhere....full of Saudi money?  No idea.  But if there's an opportunity for impropriety, one should definitely suspect that Trump is exercising that opportunity.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m saying if it’s against the plane or some other mobile asset, he will move/hide it or keep working out appeals to keep the execution of the award at bay. 

Chubb has over $400 billion in assets. They would squash him like a bug.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

These.

Because he posted a bond rather than cash, he had to pay cash to Chubb for the service of them posting the bond.  Even if it was just 10% (and that's a low rate, from what I understand of that market), he had to pay them $9 million+, and that money is spent and gone, no matter what happens on appeal.  THEN, if he loses the appeal, Carroll just closes on the bond, and gets paid in full.

THEN, Chubb goes after the pledged assets to make itself whole.  And if it didn't get pledge security that is free-and-clear of other encumbrances that has a value more than sufficient to cover the bond, they're dumb as fuck.  That's possible, but unlikely.   NOW, could there be some shenanigan money laundering going on -- maybe the asset Trump pledged (with, ummm, a "co-signer" type) is an account somewhere....full of Saudi money?  No idea.  But if there's an opportunity for impropriety, one should definitely suspect that Trump is exercising that opportunity.

quid pro quo 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

29 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

quid pro quo 

Eh, not everything is a conspiracy.  That kind of appointment sounds like an unpaid pain in the ass more than anything.

I suspect this was a highly arms-length transaction with Chubb papered to the hilt and poised to go balls deep on Trump should he try any shenanigans.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

These.

image.png.2daeed7c0f95b4e0a03a7d5605fdd679.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

Alright ladies and germs, it is nut-cutting time for Aileen Cannon. 

In opposing Trump’s motion to dismiss on immunity, Smith asks her to declare Trump's motion frivolous. That means even if she denies it, and he appeals, no stay of proceedings will attach, as it has in the DC case. 

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/07/politics/special-counsel-trump-delay-motion/index.html

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

image.png.2daeed7c0f95b4e0a03a7d5605fdd679.png

Every now and then I like to point out that that's from October of 2016. BEFORE the first election. Think about how much shit has happened since then.... and it still applies, for the most part.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

3 hours ago, BamaATL said:

It's not at all surprising to me, his whole life is a game of three card monty, and when you do that he's constantly robbing peter to pay paul, which means you never actually have anything that isn't going right back out to keep the scheme going.  When it's all said and done, I think we are going to find out that he's upside down several billion dollars.  The good news, in a couple of weeks the State of New York is going to start that process.  

It sounds exhausting.  Good!