45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

Just now, High Plains Drifter said:

probably Michael Rappaport (sp?)

Sounds exactly like him.  I didn't want to say it, because last time I did I was actually referencing one of his own tweets, like the non-observant idiot that I am.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

The part of the electorate embracing the awful things you accurately list is most homogenously white. White people (men. I'm one of those, too.) have operated with an assumption of their place in a hierarchy of their own creating. A great many of us walk around complacently unaware of the world for Black people and women. The smack in the face of Me Too and BLM indeed woke some of us up to that blind complacency. 

Yeah, I should have been more clear on that.  But white Boomers (not all, but many) are a huge part of the problem due to the huge numbers of them out there.  If more thought and acted like you do, we'd be in a better place.  But from my interactions with my own Boomer parents, they have become far less intellectually curious as they have aged, and they are far more likely to trend towards authoritarianism to get what they want.  Social media is a huge part of the problem, too.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm a Boomer. My friends are mostly Boomers. We seldom (never) talk about holding onto our power or taking it from somebody else. Nobody does. Like people of every age, we don't have much power.

There are plenty of things to resent about Boomers or anybody else, but all the things you name are political and not, in my opinion, delineated by generation.

The part of the electorate embracing the awful things you accurately list is most homogenously white. White people (men. I'm one of those, too.) have operated with an assumption of their place in a hierarchy of their own creating. A great many of us walk around complacently unaware of the world for Black people and women. The smack in the face of Me Too and BLM indeed woke some of us up to that blind complacency. 

I aspire to being labeled woke. I know, at best, I'm awakened to my blindness. What else have I been missing? How do I remedy this? I'm not thinking as a Boomer or even a Dem. Just a suburban white boy grown into late manhood still trying to get a few things right.

Boomers my age got all the breaks. Too late for the draft. Still in the post WWII economic boom where the US had a madly disproportionate share of the world market. The very real threat of  nuclear war diminished when I was still relatively young. I didn't will it or steal it. I was born in what human history will call the best time and place ever for a common person. I'll die before the seas rise much.  Just fucking lucky.

One of the things I do to try to correct the course of the country is only vote for white men when the alternatives are downright bad. I'd mandate that white men take a 20 year break (maybe even a Sabattical) from running everything. I think there'd be less carnage of all types and more cooperation. 

It's the nervous, stupid, angry, insecure among white men that you have to look out for no matter their generation, my friend. 

Written without rancor.

I'm starting to write long again. I better watch that. 

100%. Well said. 

We've had Boomer generation voting for 50 fucking years.  We've had greed for centuries.  Yeah, we had a black president.  And we've had social media/online chat rooms/message boards for 30 fucking years.  We have 25 million straight ticket R voters.  We have 25 million that'll hold their nose and vote top line R if it looks like it's gonna help them out personally but may be inclined to sit it out and go third party if the GOP choice is too dank.

But the fucking grand mystery isn't a fucking mystery.  The other 25 million that they "found."  While other candidates play "turn out the vote" or "Energize the Base" or "appeal to the moderates" or "would be less likely/more likely if John Smith was the candidate" games, the 2014 Drogin playbook and Cambridge Analytics and Steve Bannon did what nobody else though to do, they found millions and millions of disaffected voters who either never voted or hadn't voted in a long time.  And they made them angry and alienated.  And they showed them to their seat at the table and led them to believe that everything they've ever felt was not only normal, but empowering.  Do you think these people understand how the Federalist Society and Mitch McConnell engineering a usurping of the federal circuit courts or tariffs with China?  He gave them validation and a feeling that whatever they were thinking was alright.  They were now "politically engaged."  That's it.  That's the big fucking 'TA-DA'  Running demographic stats and key turnouts in Arizona.  He made stupid people and hate-filled people feel smart and empowered.  That's it.  All there is to it.  Matt Dowd has been trying to unpack it for 7 goddamn years with the smartest statisticians at the University of Chicago and they still come back to the same non-statistical answer...he has about 25 million people that will die for him and nobody can figure the fuck out why...beyond, "He makes them feel special"  

It's not about what year they were born.  It's about where they were born and to whom.  This tub of shit will be soon enough.  We need to start planning for how we deal with the aftermath.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

We've had Boomer generation voting for 50 fucking years.  We've had greed for centuries.  Yeah, we had a black president.  And we've had social media/online chat rooms/message boards for 30 fucking years.  We have 25 million straight ticket R voters.  We have 25 million that'll hold their nose and vote top line R if it looks like it's gonna help them out personally but may be inclined to sit it out and go third party if the GOP choice is too dank.
But the fucking grand mystery isn't a fucking mystery.  The other 25 million that they "found."  While other candidates play "turn out the vote" or "Energize the Base" or "appeal to the moderates" or "would be less likely/more likely if John Smith was the candidate" games, the 2014 Drogin playbook and Cambridge Analytics and Steve Bannon did what nobody else though to do, they found millions and millions of disaffected voters who either never voted or hadn't voted in a long time.  And they made them angry and alienated.  And they showed them to their seat at the table and led them to believe that everything they've ever felt was not only normal, but empowering.  Do you think these people understand how the Federalist Society and Mitch McConnell engineering a usurping of the federal circuit courts or tariffs with China?  He gave them validation and a feeling that whatever they were thinking was alright.  They were now "politically engaged."  That's it.  That's the big fucking 'TA-DA'  Running demographic stats and key turnouts in Arizona.  He made stupid people and hate-filled people feel smart and empowered.  That's it.  All there is to it.  Matt Dowd has been trying to unpack it for 7 goddamn years with the smartest statisticians at the University of Chicago and they still come back to the same non-statistical answer...he has about 25 million people that will die for him and nobody can figure the fuck out why...beyond, "He makes them feel special"  
It's not about what year they were born.  It's about where they were born and to whom.  This tub of shit will be soon enough.  We need to start planning for how we deal with the aftermath.  

This. They found the worst of America, empowered it, and that genie is never going back in the bottle. And it’s going to kill us all.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Trump reading that, "They can't sue you twice for the same crime."

Trump staffer, "Technically that's true sir.  But this would be considered an additional defamation occurrence, a new civil event.  Like how you can't rape somebody two times, get convicted of the first one, and then rape them again years later.  So this is another occurrence of legal defamation in her filing.  Like if you were to go on Fox News tomorrow and make the same kinda comments about her, that would be even a third legal occurrence.  Like when BLM thugs loot the same CVS three days in a row, that's three different crimes, 'member when you said that?"   

Trump, "I have the worst fucking attorneys."  

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

With no additional information I would assume that guy is a huge prick on the basis of that shirt alone. 

Hey Parlatore, the 1980's called and said they wanted their shirt back.

Also, can't you afford a decent tailor?  That jacket doesn't fit you.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 2

On the documents case, CNN reporting that NARA is releasing documents concerning Trump's knowledge of declassification procedures to Jack Smith. https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/17/politics/trump-letter-archives-special-counsel-declassification/index.html

That in itself is not that remarkable, and the article itself indicates that the fight is more over privilege than the evidence itself.

However, it shows that Smith remains at least somewhat concerned over the "declassification" argument and disproving it.  And that may indicate that he has evidence that Trump did something "untoward" with the classified documents, or some of them.  Or, maybe not, because the subpoena to which these respond is apparently a few months old.

• Hook 'Em 1

So, in the NY falsified documents case, we're getting some more deets.  Under NY law, a defendant is entitled, within limits, to a "bill of particulars" specifying facts and other information not present or required to be in the indictment.  Most particularly, here, Trump is trying to nail Bragg down on specifying the other crime that the falsified documents pertained to.  Here's the response https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23814446-20230512-people-20095-response-002_redacted

There are a couple of NY state crimes listed in addition to the federal election law violation to which Cohen pled guilty.

Another thing Trump seems to be relying on is the Apprendi decision, which holds that anything used to increase the sentence for a crime, i.e. elevate it from a misdemeanor to a felony, must be proven to the jury beyond a reasonable doubt.  I don't think that's going to result in any kind of dismissal, but it means Bragg is going to basically have to prove two crimes beyond a reasonable doubt, the falsification of records, and whatever crime he uses as the "predicate" to raise it to a felony.  And that would seem to mean that the jury is going to have to be instructed and have questions on that second crime.

Tricky shit.

The other thing is Trump's removal to federal court.  The basis for that seems to be that if Bragg chooses to use the federal election law violation, then that is preempted.  Certainly, if they were attempting to try him and sentence him under that crime, there might be some traction there, but as simply an element of a state law crime, I don't see it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

So, not sure where this goes anymore.  But . . . .

Screenshot 2023-05-22 8.08.52 PM.png

On the one hand it's nice that SBOT is showing some diligence here.  On the other, they're probably a bit behind the 8-ball on this.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/17/2023 at 3:31 PM, jimmyjazz said:

He couldn't look more like a mob lawyer if he tried.  The collar, the stripes, the tie bar, the poorly fitting jacket.  Donald Trump attracts the best on all fronts.

I was thinking lobbyist but sure, mob lawyer works too.  The similarity is uncanny. 

On 5/20/2023 at 7:00 PM, Red Five said:

I don't have them.... I mean I gave them back.... I mean the FBI planted them.... I mean I declassified them. 

I don't think his supporters can even follow his trail of broken brained logic.  They're all--Whatever he says.  Grab 'em by the pussy equates to He's the Messiah to that fucked up crowd of schizophrenic, rape enabling, charlatan, christians.   They don't ask questions for those with an R next to their name.  The R can stand for Rape and they're fine with it.  This should cut deep but it won't--they gave away their souls long ago.  One of these days, it'll be harvest time and they'll get back what they sowed.  And even then, it may be beyond mattering.  Just look at Uvalde.     

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

about to be indicted for high treason for helping steal classified documents and your first inclination isn't finding better lawyers and crisis management PR professionals, it's a web designer and gala planner for fundraising efforts?  

If that ain't Trump and his circle in a nutshell, tell me what is.  

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

he’ll have a whole new group of lawyers by them 

Most of his team for the NY case is from the Weisselberg/Trump Org case.  I'm not sure how much input he had on their hiring.  They did get their asses kicked though.

That Jim Trusty guy, for one who has pretty serious qualifications, including I believe succeeding Jack Smith as head of the Public Integrity Section at Main Justice, is an assclown.

First off, he was the one that actually said, in open court, that the MAL document dispute was akin to "an overdue library book."  Then there's shit like this.

He's just not a serious person. Fucking look at him.

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated