45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

5 hours ago, Tuco said:

Yeah.  For the last 7 years or so. What channel were you watching?

I would think Trump's most solid legal defense would be to claim that he is a lying piece of shit.  His vulnerability to prosecution is based on him speaking honestly to people in a room.  He could have been looking at a Denny's menu and claiming it was secret war plans.  Would that really seem unlikely or out of place considering what we know about him?  Shit, they could bring in a couple hundred million character witnesses who would testify that he just says stupid shit all the time, and for no particular reason. 

I doubt Trump would make such a claim, which makes me smile a bit. 

Whether he was really waving around the document is secondary to him acknowledging that he is knowingly in possession of information concerning the national defense and knows he shouldn't have it and shouldn't be showing it to people.

And, I don't know that they would defend it that way, precisely, but it might be something closely related.

First, let's acknowledge that putting people on the jury that are like most of us is almost as wrong as putting q-magats on the jury.  So, there are going to be jurors that are more neutral than either of those groups of people, or, in any case willing to decide the case on the evidence before them and not their pre-existing knowledge or beliefs about Trump.

Most people know that you can't take anything Trump says at literally face value.  Most of us believe, probably rightly, that the real, intended meaning is far worse than what he actually says.  Others are going to be less easily convinced that it's something insidious, certainly when applying a reasonable doubt standard.

With some defendants, it's probably less risky to go to trial basically on their words alone.  But Trump is such a bloviating, double-talking, lying-ass, word salad motherfucker that you really need some extra evidence corroborating that worst possible meaning.

And, in contemplating where and how Smith got this recording, something occurred to me.  In some cases, you want to talk to every conceivable witness to find out what they might say, even if you don't believe they have valuable evidence.  And you can put them in front of a grand jury to make their testimony more truthful and have an actual record of it in case they change their story.

With Trump and his propensity for influencing/tampering with witnesses, this is probably doubly important so that one of those people doesn't pop up at trial with some kind of exculpatory evidence.  So I think Smith has been talking to "err'body" before the grand jury to reduce that likelihood and stumbled on this gem.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

The law is linked in the article along with prosecutions arising from it.

Screenshot_20230531-214548-124.png

Well, the obvious answer of course is Florida, just like the answer for Mason is Texas.  But the way that statute is written, "willfully submits" could provide an out for someone who negligently or mistakenly provides an incorrect or the wrong address in voter registration information.

If you're a federal prosecutor indicting on that statute, you probably want some extra information as to why the defendant put the wrong information down and why it was willful and not negligent.

In the Mason case, unfortunately for her, you do have her signing the provisional application affidavit falsely, which is a bad look in and of itself, and the affidavit itself basically informs her that she is ineligible to vote.  And this is a woman who was a tax preparer that was convicted of filing false tax returns on behalf of her clients, so she's not exactly an ignoramus about paperwork and seems to have a morally casual attitude about filing false papers.

I'm not supporting her conviction, certainly not her sentence.  But if you're talking about the kind of evidence prosecutors need and want to secure a conviction, it's mostly there for Mason and takes a lot of digging for Trump.

ETA:  Oof, according to Wikipedia, and to my surprise, Tarrant DA Sharen Wilson, a standartenfuhrer if there ever was one, offered Mason probation if she'd plead guilty.  What a clusterfuck.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

FxdkpJQXgAQ9OND?format=jpg&name=medium

So what do we call this hairstyle?  It's not a mullet because of the generous front combover.  It's not blonde, nor red.  Kinda orange.  Definitely party out back.  But overall, it's altogether different.  It needs a name.  

12 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Is a provisional ballot the same as a regular ballot?  Doesn’t it get extra vetting before being allowed to be tabulated, for various eligibility checks? Didn’t those checks work in that case?

Yes, but the statute covers an "attempt to vote."

Again, I'm not defending the Mason conviction, and particularly not the sentence.  I'm talking about the nuts and bolts of trying a criminal case.  The Mason case was easy-peasy with a little bit of wiggle room on the issue of "knew she was ineligible to vote."  That's an easily triable criminal case with one witness and about a day's preparation.

These Trump cases are nothing like that.

6 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Yes. That’s why we keep saying this. I’ll believe he faces consequences if/when it happens. 

Again, I maintain that Trump's slipperiness with respect to the civil law is a different kettle of fish than what he's facing now.  And, even the civil things like Carroll have a different flavor than the bullshit he's pulled off in the past.  Is the Carroll case the first time Trump has been to trial on anything?  If not, it's one of a very few.

The Bragg case is a bit fraught, though.  We'll see on Fulton County.  The Mar A Lago thing seems to be shaping up to about as close to a slam dunk as one could hope for, at least on the obstruction charge.  One huge problem there is that it seems it would be tried in Florida, not DC or NY.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yes, but the statute covers an "attempt to vote."

Again, I'm not defending the Mason conviction, and particularly not the sentence.  I'm talking about the nuts and bolts of trying a criminal case.  The Mason case was easy-peasy with a little bit of wiggle room on the issue of "knew she was ineligible to vote."  That's an easily triable criminal case with one witness and about a day's preparation.

These Trump cases are nothing like that.

Wow so weird that our justice system is ricky fuckin tick fast when it comes to imprisoning a black woman with the temerity to attempt to vote, and how much a fascist has to do before the lawyers can muster enough cognitive power to connect the fucking dots and lift a goddamn finger TWO YEARS AFTER INCITING THOUSANDS TO ATTEMPT TO INSTALL A FASCIST DICTATORSHIP

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Wow so weird that our justice system is ricky fuckin tick fast when it comes to imprisoning a black woman with the temerity to attempt to vote, and how much a fascist has to do before the lawyers can muster enough cognitive power to connect the fucking dots and lift a goddamn finger TWO YEARS AFTER INCITING THOUSANDS TO ATTEMPT TO INSTALL A FASCIST DICTATORSHIP

Again, nuts and bolts.

Mason case easy, Trump cases hard.

It's not really that difficult to understand.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

His own former lawyer, Ty Cobb, was on tv saying that he would advise his client that it's over and he should take whatever deal he can get.

And there it is.  He'll get a slap on the wrist and be our next president.  THIS IS OUR CONCERN DUDE.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

And there it is.  He'll get a slap on the wrist and be our next president.  THIS IS OUR CONCERN DUDE.

The feds, as a general proposition, don't offer too many sweetheart pleas, as outlined above.

And I don't think Trump's ego permits him to plead guilty.

The other thing is that no criminal consequences, however severe, necessarily prevent him from being President.  Short of execution before he can take office.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

So what do we call this hairstyle?  It's not a mullet because of the generous front combover.  It's not blonde, nor red.  Kinda orange.  Definitely party out back.  But overall, it's altogether different.  It needs a name.  

The Ratfucker? 

3 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Yes. That’s why we keep saying this. I’ll believe he faces consequences if/when it happens. 

"That's why we keep saying this" doesn't follow from your "yes."

If y'all were paying attention, reading between the lines of what eg TwiceHorn is saying:

Federal investigators have, and have had for a while, a recording of Trump admitting everything they need for a conviction. Federal investigators who are very, very thorough, and have a 90% conviction rate. Against a guy who is struggling to keep good lawyers and often hires inexperienced ones for their looks.

At this point, any doubt about Trump getting convicted looks less like "don't give me hope" and more like parroting Kremlin propaganda. Because believe it or not, Moscow's social media agents work both sides. They want you to feel hopeless, so you won't act when needed.

Of course, it could also just be that y'all are dumb as a bag of hammers.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Federal investigators have, and have had for a while, a recording of Trump admitting everything they need for a conviction. Federal investigators who are very, very thorough, and have a 90% conviction rate. Against a guy who is struggling to keep good lawyers and often hires inexperienced ones for their looks.

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Federal investigators have, and have had for a while, a recording of Trump admitting everything they need for a conviction.

You’ve heard this tape? The one CNN is reporting on? The one they haven’t heard themselves but which “sources say” that “Trump’s comments suggest” the slam dunk we-got-him-this-time evidence to convict? That tape?

40 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

If y'all were paying attention, reading between the lines of what eg TwiceHorn is saying:

At this point, any doubt about Trump getting convicted looks less like "don't give me hope" and more like parroting Kremlin propaganda. Because believe it or not, Moscow's social media agents work both sides. They want you to feel hopeless, so you won't act when needed.

I don't think it's unreasonable for people to expect this to wither and die just like most other attempts to punish Trump or limit his behavior.  At this point half of America has PTSD/combat fatigue.

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think it's unreasonable for people to expect this to wither and die just like most other attempts to punish Trump or limit his behavior.  At this point half of America has PTSD/combat fatigue.

It is unreasonable. It's completely irrational. It requires ignoring certain basic facts that we've been repeatedly exposed to just in this thread alone.

I'll buy that y'all have PTSD, if only because that's an admission of irrationality. Admit that it's irrational, though. Don't sell me PTSD-derived insanity as if it's reasonable.

Dude.  I have a voice and a vote.  I use both.  It's still not unreasonable to gird one's self against the possibility he'll skate AGAIN.

I'm not undercutting my ability to effect as much change as I can, being just one progressive Texas resident.  I do what I can.  Not getting my hopes up is self-defense, not irrational behavior.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, dcbc said:

Oh, I agree with you in large part.  I was just saying that not all state prosecutors are winging it all the time.  Some do.  And I know of more than a few feds who got their start as state prosecutors.

But it's a different level for sure.

There's also differences within the state. Going up against a prosecutor on a drug possession case that was handed over to the prosecutor an hour before trial, vs. multi-strike case, or homicide, where gov has multiple expert wits prepped, forensic analysis, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 2

If I see an indictment under the espionage act I will be shocked. If I see any felony count I will be pleasantly surprised and leaning towards a hung jury if/when he goes to trial. 

If it’s a bunch of misdemeanors 

image.gif.a28e1d5a666a523fc090222c2f657084.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

This.  I will believe it when I see Trump walk into a prison and hear the barred door lock shut behind him.  Not one second before.

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Because this.  This is what will happen.  In fact, his conviction (with minimal/no prison time) will INCREASE HIS SUPPORT AND TURNOUT OF GQP VOTERS.  Some of y'all haven't been paying attention.  Breaking the law and getting away with it is the ULTIMATE way to induce "sweet libtard tears," which is the only thing that matters to GQP voters.  They will turn out at a 98% turnout rate, and he has a damned good chance of waltzing back into the White House.  Yes, I'm saying it: a convicted Trump has a BETTER chance of winning a POTUS race than the current Trump does.

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Indeed we do.  And the Rule of Law has taken a beating.  Many of us -- including people who literally depend on it for a living -- have justifiably lost a shitload of faith in it.  Don't tell me what the law is, or what it says.  That doesn't matter.  Only the outcome matters.  And we don't trust the people with their hands on the levers, because we've been given ample evidence telling us not to do so.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

If I see an indictment under the espionage act I will be shocked. If I see any felony count I will be pleasantly surprised and leaning towards a hung jury if/when he goes to trial. 

If it’s a bunch of misdemeanors 

image.gif.a28e1d5a666a523fc090222c2f657084.gif

Mar A Lago doesn't seem to involve any misdemeanors.  Whether they bring the espionage act count is a good question.

Obstruction of justice comes in a couple of different flavors, both of which they could charge, but it's a 10 year felony.  That's maximum, though, and I probably wouldn't count on that, of course.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I'd believe that Trump would eventually face conviction in 3-4 years If he wasn't the frontrunner to be elected Potus. All it takes is a dip in the economy or a spike in gas prices and he likely wins, and then hes not getting convicted-ever. The slow ass justice system coupled with Trump's usual stall tactics makes the likelihood of conviction pretty small within the window we have. Then you have the GOP blatantly stealing elections, suppressing votes and Bragging about. Then you have Ken Paxton who was indicted in 2015 and still has not gone to trial.

It's a razor thin margin here. The Republic may endure only because the Supreme Court went full 4 Loco with Roe, and women are pissed and will turn out in 24 to keep fat boy pussy grabber out of office despite the GOPs efforts to steal the election.

I may be dumber than a bag of hammers, but I'm a UT grad. Consider how much dumber all the aggies and non college grads out there voting must be, especially compared to this board.
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Certainly a bad act.  What crime involved, though?

Crime?  Not sure.  He used the military to clear a peaceful protest, though.  Seems like there might have been a little 1A violation there.  You tell us if it's criminal.

A few points about the Crystal Mason case, maybe no one cares but:

There  was no jury. The trial was a bench trial. The judge was explicit that no knowledge of ineligibility was required. So the issue was never fully litigated and was not ruled upon. Court of Appeals said same -- knowledge not required. Court of Crim. Appeals said nah-- read the damn statute. 

So now it's back in the Court of Appeals to consider the issue of her knowledge. But how that's going to work, I don't understand. What is the standard of review for judging sufficiency when there was a conviction but the issue was never litigated-- de novo? And yes she signed the written oath but that's not dispositive. If she claims she didn't read or understand it (which by the way she had been released from prison AND from a halfway house), that's a credibility issue, no? Which is a matter the original fact-finder gets to assess, not an appellate court from a cold record. It would seem to me that a new trial is the proper remedy, which I guess the CoA could still say. DA's office should really drop this shit though --filled out a provisional ballot that was never counted SMDH.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

A few points about the Crystal Mason case, maybe no one cares but:

There  was no jury. The trial was a bench trial. The judge was explicit that no knowledge of ineligibility was required. So the issue was never fully litigated and was not ruled upon. Court of Appeals said same -- knowledge not required. Court of Crim. Appeals said nah-- read the damn statute. 

So now it's back in the Court of Appeals to consider the issue of her knowledge. But how that's going to work, I don't understand. What is the standard of review for judging sufficiency when there was a conviction but the issue was never litigated-- de novo? And yes she signed the written oath but that's not dispositive. If she claims she didn't read or understand it (which by the way she had been released from prison AND from a halfway house), that's a credibility issue, no? Which is a matter the original fact-finder gets to assess, not an appellate court from a cold record. It would seem to me that a new trial is the proper remedy, which I guess the CoA could still say. DA's office should really drop this shit though --filled out a provisional ballot that was never counted SMDH.

Perhaps you missed the parts where 1) she was black and 2) she tried to vote.

Open and shut case, she'll get more than any Jan 6th defendant when all is said and done.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Hope GIF - Hope - Discover & Share GIFs

I'm definitely leaning towards the Bag of Hammers Theory because literally every defense y'all have made of this asinine hand-wringing and pointless despair have been addressed, multiple times.

stop being whiny pussies and look at the facts here already

6 hours ago, Captainant said:

I’d complain. 

9 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I'm definitely leaning towards the Bag of Hammers Theory because literally every defense y'all have made of this asinine hand-wringing and pointless despair have been addressed, multiple times.

Listen man, I think this might actually have legs for once, but you can't blame people here for being skeptical considering 1) History  2) How Timing Works Out 3) There is a Human Element involved here in the form of Juries, etc. Plus politics. Plus Democrats who might not prosecute because "we'll divide the country." We don't know. 

Remember when you used to call those of us hammering Mack Brown and Greg Davis and later Charlie Strong Handwringers? Pepperidge Farm remembers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I don't often neg, but my trigger finger is getting itchy.

Calling other posters stupid and whiny pussies (in addition to being misogynistic) is classic ad hominem and intellectually lazy.

There has been a considerable history of lack of accountability on Trump for what has appeared to be a consistent pattern of illegal behavior throughout his lifetime.  I'm not saying he'll never face consequences, but based on what I've seen so far, I'm pessimistic and will not be getting my hopes up unless and until it happens.  

If that makes me a whiny pussy then I guess I'm a whiny pussy.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I don't often neg, but my trigger finger is getting itchy.

Calling other posters stupid and whiny pussies (in addition to being misogynistic) is classic ad hominem and intellectually lazy.

There has been a considerable history of lack of accountability on Trump for what has appeared to be a consistent pattern of illegal behavior throughout his lifetime.  I'm not saying he'll never face consequences, but based on what I've seen so far, I'm pessimistic and will not be getting my hopes up unless and until it happens.  

If that makes me a whiny pussy then I guess I'm a whiny pussy.

I think he will be held accountable but death will prevent him from serving one day in jail. He will go four corners and stretch all the legal proceedings out and never serve a day because he’s dead or loses his mind like his father. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated