45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

6 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

because normally the nominated judges are selected with input from various sources. Moreover, the nomination does not secure the job. Bipartisan committees review the qualifications of the candidate and the law requires Senate approval and confirmation.   it is much less like a personal appointment and much more like appointment by committee.

And if you think about it, if the fact that Trump was the one appointing her requires her to recuse herself, then most new judges in every administration could not hear any cases involving the United States government and its agencies.  Because whenever the United States was involved, the president as head of the executive department would also be involved. You would wind up with a situation where a reelected president, with an eight year term would have a large pool of judges who could not hear any cases involving the government.  As it is, there are often much-needed unfilled judicial appointments in many areas of the country.   It is universally recognized that judges can hear cases involving their prior law partners and firms, so long as the judge involved did not represent the client    That is how it must work in the real world.    Most of the time the judges take their oaths seriously and adjudicate the matters impartially    

You may recall that most of the judges during Trump’s bullshit election challenge effort were Republican judges, and many of them Trump appointed judges.  And as you recall, those Trump judges dunked on Trump’s bullshit cases. That is how it is supposed to work, and that, in fact, is how it did work.

she fucking helped the trump legal team re-write their brief for the special counsel request / review. That alone should disqualify her. 

jack smith hubris at play here. He should have kept this in dc and let trump drag this out some 

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

trump can offer her the next spot on the Supreme Court 

That would require him actually winning. He's done nothing to help himself in the battleground states that Biden took from him, and in fact some of those states moved even more left.  And that's before the abortion ruling.  And he's not doing anything to get moderates/independents on his side, and in fact this little legal misadventure of his has probably pushed those folks more firmly into the "whoever has a (D) next to their name" camp.

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

jack smith hubris at play here. He should have kept this in dc and let trump drag this out some 

twice or somebody explained why this had to be done in Florida, and that Jack Smith knew there was a chance she would get it. Something like if he filed it in DC, it would get moved to Florida anyways.

Look, I don't trust her, but I also know that she got what she wanted out of him, she's in her early 40s, and there's no reason for her to completely wreck her reputation or career over the next few decades for him at this point.

It's not ideal, but Jack Smith knows what he's doing, and she knows there are a lot of people watching. 

Like I said, it's probably not ideal for her either, because if she is seen as doing anything but 100% supporting Trump by the MAGA crowd, one of those mouth-breathers is liable to start making threats against her, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That would require him actually winning. He's done nothing to help himself in the battleground states that Biden took from him, and in fact some of those states moved even more left.  And that's before the abortion ruling.  And he's not doing anything to get moderates/independents on his side, and in fact this little legal misadventure of his has probably pushed those folks more firmly into the "whoever has a (D) next to their name" camp.

twice or somebody explained why this had to be done in Florida, and that Jack Smith knew there was a chance she would get it. Something like if he filed it in DC, it would get moved to Florida anyways.

Look, I don't trust her, but I also know that she got what she wanted out of him, she's in her early 40s, and there's no reason for her to completely wreck her reputation or career over the next few decades for him at this point.

It's not ideal, but Jack Smith knows what he's doing, and she knows there are a lot of people watching. 

Like I said, it's probably not ideal for her either, because if she is seen as doing anything but 100% supporting Trump by the MAGA crowd, one of those mouth-breathers is liable to start making threats against her, etc.

Jack smith has never seen anything like this. Tuesday will get ugly …

image.thumb.png.a63d07a63fbf0e835ba1fa5a34dada99.png

30 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

she fucking helped the trump legal team re-write their brief for the special counsel request / review. That alone should disqualify her. 

If he'd filed in DC and the defense convinced the judge it should have been filed in Florida it would be dismissed with prejudice (which I believe means it's over, for good).  

the Manafort case had the same issue and was split between DC and VA.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

If he'd filed in DC and the defense convinced the judge it should have been filed in Florida it would be dismissed with prejudice (which I believe means it's over, for good).  

If he walks in confident and cocky, the judge has cut a deal with him 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Bullshit.  The danger from faulty venue is a much greater risk.  

Edit: should have finished reading the thread first

Edited by Gatorubet
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

Not with prejudice. 

But would have given trump an early victory. 

41 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Would be great if that flyer is fake and there's no bus trip yet dozens of idiots descend on that unfortunate Walmart with their tiny mushroom in their hands

Would be better if the driver got lost and the bus broke down in Coral City. 

Not with prejudice. 
But would have given trump an early victory. 
https://www.justice.gov/archives/jm/criminal-resource-manual-918-false-statements-and-venue
True, with the caveat that if the statute of limitations had run prior to the dismissal on improper venue you could not re-try the defendant.   I think I remember reading that obstruction had a five-year SOL, so those charges could be brought again. I’m not sure about the other more serious charges, but I’ll be shocked if their SOL was shorter than the obstruction.

Just spitballing, but it might be interesting if some smart guy around these parts whipped up some flyers advertising free bus rides from Gainesville, Tampa, Naples, Tallahassee to the courthouse in south Florida.

You know, satire.  Plastered all over Truth and other Trumpy sites.

Like I said, spitballing.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Those flyers and mention the pick up is the address of the gov. mansion in austin, Tallahassee and a few other maga locations, just the address and no mention of where/ what it is, and see how many actually show up waiting for the bus. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just spitballing, but it might be interesting if some smart guy around these parts whipped up some flyers advertising free bus rides from Gainesville, Tampa, Naples, Tallahassee to the courthouse in south Florida.

‘bring snacks’ 

Bill Barr "weighs" in: https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-indictment-documents-06-11-23/index.html

Former Attorney General Bill Barr heavily criticized claims by former President Donald Trump and some of his allies that he is being targeted and unfairly treated by the federal government in its case against him for his alleged mishandling of classified documents after leaving office.

"This idea of presenting Trump as a victim here, a victim of a witch hunt, is ridiculous. Yes, he's been a victim in the past. Yes, his adversaries have obsessively pursued him with phony claims. And I've been at his side, defending against them when he is a victim. But this is much different. He's not a victim here," Barr told "Fox News Sunday."

Barr said Trump was "totally wrong" in saying he had the right to retain the classified documents.

"Those documents are among the most sensitive secrets the country has," Barr said. "He had no right to maintain them and retain them. And he kept them in a way in Mar-a-Lago, that anyone who really cares about national security — their stomach would churn at it."

"I was shocked by the degree of sensitivity of these documents and how many there were frankly," Barr added.

While noting that Trump has a right to a defense, Barr described the indictment as "very damning" and the counts as "solid." He said it was "perfectly appropriate" for the government to try and recover the documents the former president had stored at his resort in Florida.

The former attorney general also pushed back against claims by Trump and others that what he had done was similar to the practice of former presidents (and which CNN and others have also fact-checked extensively).

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

because normally the nominated judges are selected with input from various sources. Moreover, the nomination does not secure the job. Bipartisan committees review the qualifications of the candidate and the law requires Senate approval and confirmation.   it is much less like a personal appointment and much more like appointment by committee.

And if you think about it, if the fact that Trump was the one appointing her requires her to recuse herself, then most new judges in every administration could not hear any cases involving the United States government and its agencies.  Because whenever the United States was involved, the president as head of the executive department would also be involved. You would wind up with a situation where a reelected president, with an eight year term would have a large pool of judges who could not hear any cases involving the government.  As it is, there are often much-needed unfilled judicial appointments in many areas of the country.   It is universally recognized that judges can hear cases involving their prior law partners and firms, so long as the judge involved did not represent the client    That is how it must work in the real world.    Most of the time the judges take their oaths seriously and adjudicate the matters impartially    

You may recall that most of the judges during Trump’s bullshit election challenge effort were Republican judges, and many of them Trump appointed judges.  And as you recall, those Trump judges dunked on Trump’s bullshit cases. That is how it is supposed to work, and that, in fact, is how it did work.

This is not the United States or any government agency. This is a private citizen who was a former President. It is not analogous in any way to a judge hearing cases of their former partners or firms. The judge’s sole reason for being a judge was due to the selection by this former President, but yes, I am sure there was some thorough vetting by Congress. Tommy Tuberville probably did a deep dive on her credentials. 

I agree that all the election bullshit case were handled appropriately and to the letter of the law by Trump appointed judges. Thankfully 

But we have already seen this wacko ignore the law for Trump. That is evidence the system is not working. Having the appellate slap her down is the evidence of the system working. 

But Eventually enough bought judges will be put into place to ignore the law (see Dobbs) 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Does the Trump transcript about how he "can't declassify anymore" also shoot down any possible argument about how he sincerely believed he truly won 2020 and, thus, didn't have the necessary intent to commit the crime? (Note, I'm not saying that's a winning, good, or even non-frivolous argument - I'm just trying to anticipate the kind of arguments he's going to attempt)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

This is not the United States or any government agency. This is a private citizen who was a former President. It is not analogous in any way to a judge hearing cases of their former partners or firms. The judge’s sole reason for being a judge was due to the selection by this former President, but yes, I am sure there was some thorough vetting by Congress. Tommy Tuberville probably did a deep dive on her credentials. 

I agree that all the election bullshit case were handled appropriately and to the letter of the law by Trump appointed judges. Thankfully 

But we have already seen this wacko ignore the law for Trump. That is evidence the system is not working. Having the appellate slap her down is the evidence of the system working. 

But Eventually enough bought judges will be put into place to ignore the law (see Dobbs) 

I do not disagree with anything you say. But the question I was responding to was, how can a judge rule on a matter associated with a president after being appointed by that president?  Having a particular judge be completely wrong about legal issues and being vigorously bench-slapped in a rather public manner by the 11th circuit seems, to me, to still be insufficient grounds under existing jurisprudence to recuse the judge.  

Anyone trying to assert fraud claims in federal court under the enhanced pleading requirements knows that just alleging - or even proving that someone did something wrong, or even egregiously wrong - is insufficient to plead fraud in the way many want here.   Using that fraud analogy to the judge, there needs to be more before she will be yanked off the case. That is just my opinion. That is not what I want to see happen, or the result that I would prefer.    So, while I hate Trump more than even Trump haters, that does not extend to me saying that it is easy or doable to forcibly remove her from the case. Even with her dumb Fuckery in her previous handling of the case.

I very much look forward to being wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

I read the entire deposition indictment this afternoon. I looked at the middle of it Thursday, and I was surprised at how accessible it is for a layperson such as myself. Smith saying "read the deposition" should be echoed everywhere. 

The document is masterful in generating a clear narrative and weaving together the facts of the investigation and Trump's own words. There's no need for me to offer any commentary, ipse dixit.

I mainly want to convey the brilliance of those who prepared the case and then created the language in the indictment. If one reads it, one cannot but be astonished at how powerful the case is against Donald Trump.

And it's an easy interesting read.

Edited by RomaVicta
Thanks Twice.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I was thinking, you know, misinformation. Which should align well with their strategery.

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Jack smith has never seen anything like this. Tuesday will get ugly …

image.thumb.png.a63d07a63fbf0e835ba1fa5a34dada99.png

Comedy Central should do a live feed with Jordan Klepper in the walmart parking lot. He could hand out snacks.

image.thumb.png.f2656f31db40b7bb6ef61be2a671c557.png

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

There's a Trumpy church at the end of my street.  I'm seriously thinking about doing up a flier advertising a free bus ride that leaves from there at 9am Monday, posting it, and having an awesome walk with my dog tomorrow.

We need video

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

Does the Trump transcript about how he "can't declassify anymore" also shoot down any possible argument about how he sincerely believed he truly won 2020 and, thus, didn't have the necessary intent to commit the crime? (Note, I'm not saying that's a winning, good, or even non-frivolous argument - I'm just trying to anticipate the kind of arguments he's going to attempt)

7B705DE5-1778-4495-AC6D-079B288E5266.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated