45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I am not as active here as I once was, but I thought I had read most of this thread since the indictments dropped.  So what did I miss?

Just a wholesale rejection of his bullshit followed by his magical disappearance.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, Goredho said:

If the federal government prevails, Trump will be either in prison for the rest of his life or dead and no one will dare self-identify as MAGA.

Unfortunately, I don't agree. MAGA is essentially version 2.0 of the segregationist movement of the 1950s-60s, which was version 2.0 of the reemergence of the KKK in the 1910s-20s, which was version 2.0 of the Lost Cause movement during and immediately after reconstruction, which followed the Civil War.

At this point, I don't think we'll ever completely rid ourselves of them. They'll just rebrand in a decade or so and come back, possibly with the rise of what we now call incels coming into power with their trad wives when I'm an old man but by then, hopefully, I won't fully have all my marbles or am just living a life of isolation in a cabin in the woods Ted Kaczynski style. Oh wait...

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Unfortunately, I don't agree. MAGA is essentially version 2.0 of the anti-segregationist movement of the 1950s-60s, which was version 2.0 of the reemergence of the KKK in the 1910s-20s, which was version 2.0 of the Lost Cause movement during and immediately after reconstruction, which followed the Civil War.

At this point, I don't think we'll ever completely rid ourselves of them. They'll just rebrand in a decade or so and come back, possibly with the rise of what we now call incels coming into power with their trad wifes when I'm an old man but by then, hopefully, I won't fully have all my marbles or am just living a life of isolation in a cabin in the woods Ted Kaczynski style. Oh wait...

Ok, you might be right, I don't know.  But it will be the end of this iteration of what you describe.

17 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Unfortunately, I don't agree. MAGA is essentially version 2.0 of the anti-segregationist movement of the 1950s-60s, which was version 2.0 of the reemergence of the KKK in the 1910s-20s, which was version 2.0 of the Lost Cause movement during and immediately after reconstruction, which followed the Civil War.

At this point, I don't think we'll ever completely rid ourselves of them. They'll just rebrand in a decade or so and come back, possibly with the rise of what we now call incels coming into power with their trad wifes when I'm an old man but by then, hopefully, I won't fully have all my marbles or am just living a life of isolation in a cabin in the woods Ted Kaczynski style. Oh wait...

Could probably walk this back to Salem witch trials or beyond

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, I think a normal trial setting for a federal criminal court is going to be about 9 months out.

There won't be delays associated with appeals, because there are almost no interlocutory appeals in criminal cases.

Trump will make motions to quash the indictment based on grand jury leaks or misconduct, those will be unappealable.  He'll move to quash the search warrant and the fruits of the search and that will be unappealable.  He'll also probably move to exclude evidence resulting from use of Corcoran's privileged material, also unappealable.  There won't be any novel questions presented by the fact that he is or was potus.

All of those motions should be denied, I believe.  And there shouldn't be any delay in the trial date associated with the motions.

So, the first trial date approaches and Trump's going to come up with some kind of shit where he needs a continuance.  That's discretionary and that's where she could start fucking it up.

summary on everything cannon can do to tip this case towards trump, we should be worried given her past history with the trump case ....

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/06/aileen-cannon-federal-prosecution-donald-trump.html

Trump’s lawsuit amounted to pure gibberish, a glorified Truth Social post that alleged a Democratic conspiracy. So Cannon promptly encouraged his lawyers to rewrite the suit so it sounded marginally less asinine. She then issued an order prohibiting the government from “further review and use of any of the materials” seized from Mar-a-Lago “for criminal investigative purposes.”

She has infinite tools at her disposal to thwart the prosecution at nearly every turn. Big swings, like tossing out the whole case—a very real possibility in her courtroom of chaos—can be appealed and overturned. But at every step, there are opportunities for sabotage. Cannon can try to rig voir dire to help the defense stack the jury with Trump supporters. She can exclude evidence and testimony that’s especially damning to Trump. She can disqualify witnesses who are favorable to the prosecution. She can sustain the defense’s frivolous objections and overrule the prosecution’s meritorious ones. She can direct a verdict of acquittal to render the jury superfluous. She can declare a mistrial prematurely for any number of reasons, including lengthy juror deliberations, and stretch out various deadlines to run out the clock. Many of these procedural moves could not be appealed until the proceedings have drawn to a close; appeals courts do not referee every little dispute in a jury trial as they happen. Cannon will be in control.

All of this means that we don’t really know why Cannon was initially assigned the case, and we don’t know if she will keep it. We can be fairly confident, though, based on her history, that she will do everything in her power to keep it to protect her benefactor, who is clearly in immense legal danger from this case.

Edited by tx 3 putt

It will be interesting to see how blatantly, if at all, she tanks for Trump.

Voir dire is one way she could very subtly fuck the prosecution.

If she goes ugly early, as by quashing the indictment, the government will have an immediate appeal and on remand could get it taken away from her.

If the federal government prevails, Trump will be either in prison for the rest of his life or dead and no one will dare self-identify as MAGA.  If Trump prevails, the US federal government will be completely dismantled when Trump or his ideological successor comes into power.  What comes after will still be branded the US federal government, but it will bear no resemblance to what preceded it outside of the military.  It will be a MAGA government with all that entails.

Either scenario results in Trump becoming the Mohammed of the American version of Islam. A religion adhered to by the stupid, incels, racists, and violent, while educated adherents justify it as actually being a religion of peace with a few bad apples.
  • Fuck You 2

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, the first trial date approaches and Trump's going to come up with some kind of shit where he needs a continuance.  That's discretionary and that's where she will start fucking it up.

FTFY. Despite our deepest desires for it to be so, the justice system is finding EVERY way to throw trumpco and the fascists a bone. Delaying the trial IS winning for trump. 

It's completely outrageous and beyond belief that she would just happen to land in her court TWICE on the same matter. And she's already shown a willingness to overtly fuck with the process and kneecap the prosecution. It looks and feels like the 2015 Okie lite game reffing. 

Sure we may get things right on appeal on the years timescale, but that's not all that helpful for stopping the active fascism happening right now. Taking years to handle a fascist uprising is generally how you get massive destabilization and a global conflict

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

So there's a picture going around ostensibly of Cannon in Trump facecpaint and a cowboy hat.  If that's real, how is that no in play for recusal?

Also wow that's fucking crazy. 

image.thumb.png.2fd7de06d4f4c5f19a4532a0edbc4d76.png

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/09/trump-judge-aileen-cannon-court-reform.html

That's from an old article too. 

Edit: thanks to twice, it's not her. Oopsie poopsie thanks for the correction 

Edited by Captainant

Just now, Captainant said:

FTFY. Despite our deepest desires for it to be so, the justice system is finding EVERY way to throw trumpco and the fascists a bone. Delaying the trial IS winning for trump. 

Really, what you said is counterfactual. 

Since the election, Trump has gotten his ass handed to him by trial courts, courts of appeal, and even the Supremes.

As the Slate article notes, there are various ways, subtle and otherwise, by which she could throw the case in Trump's favor.

If she indulges any of them, I doubt she'd indulge all of them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Geezus Christ.  That's not Aileen Cannon and even the article doesn't suggest that.

You guys are getting as bad as Qanon.

Well thanks for the correction, friend of the courts! 

Got it corrected on appeal so no harm then right?

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

There won't be any novel questions presented by the fact that he is or was potus.

All of those motions should be denied, I believe.  And there shouldn't be any delay in the trial date associated with the motions.

I thought you were paying attention when she appointed a special master and tried to slow down the investigation.  That was done because he was dotus

14 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Either scenario results in Trump becoming the Mohammed of the American version of Islam. A religion adhered to by the stupid, incels, racists, and violent, while educated adherents justify it as actually being a religion of peace with a few bad apples.

Wtf? Islam is no less a religion of peace than Judaism or Christianity. Your Islamophobic rambling aside, what possible comparison is there between Trump and Muhammad? Trump’s followers will try to make him out to be the new messiah. Muhammad wasn’t arrested and jailed, let alone martyred. He died peacefully in his home, an old man (by 7th century standards). Trump’s followers are already doing the things you described with Trump and the American version of Christianity with all the attributes you described.

Would you by chance be an educated Christian adherent who justifies it as actually being a religion of peace with a few bad apples?

• Hook 'Em 4

29 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Twice stans for the legal system like an L1. I wonder if he still believes in Santa Claus and the tooth fairy?

That's kind of like saying Newton would always Stan for gravity. 

"Alexander Fleming stans for mould."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, I think a normal trial setting for a federal criminal court is going to be about 9 months out.

There won't be delays associated with appeals, because there are almost no interlocutory appeals in criminal cases.

Trump will make motions to quash the indictment based on grand jury leaks or misconduct, those will be unappealable.  He'll move to quash the search warrant and the fruits of the search and that will be unappealable.  He'll also probably move to exclude evidence resulting from use of Corcoran's privileged material, also unappealable.  There won't be any novel questions presented by the fact that he is or was potus.

So, the first trial date approaches and Trump's going to come up with some kind of shit where he needs a continuance.  That's discretionary and that's where she could start fucking it up.

I watched the re-run of the excellent MSNBC panel discussion led by Nicole Wallace. One of the experts, a credible person whose name I don't recall, said that the trial might be moved to Miami for security purposes. The big city has more resources for law enforcement and security than the current venue. He made sense to me. 

@TwiceHorn Know that I and, I believe, most of the others here appreciate your illumination of the law and its processes. I do not understand the vitriole hurled your way as some sort of apologist for failures or disadvantages found in the legal process. You just giveyour best opinion and note when you are surprised something different eventually happens. You're still alive, so I'll end the eulogy there. 

• Hook 'Em 5

41 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I watched the re-run of the excellent MSNBC panel discussion led by Nicole Wallace. One of the experts, a credible person whose name I don't recall, said that the trial might be moved to Miami for security purposes. The big city has more resources for law enforcement and security than the current venue. He made sense to me. 

@TwiceHorn Know that I and, I believe, most of the others here appreciate your illumination of the law and its processes. I do not understand the vitriole hurled your way as some sort of apologist for failures or disadvantages found in the legal process. You just giveyour best opinion and note when you are surprised something different eventually happens. You're still alive, so I'll end the eulogy there. 

That is interesting and possibly a very bad development as although Miami was heavily Biden, it seems that its celebrity centered culture means frequent acquittals for public figures. 

Could result in a judge transfer, though, just on convenience grounds as Miami is a two hour drive from Cannons stomping grounds. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

if Tuesday is a full blown shit show, it’s getting moved to a military installation 

that solves a shit load of secretly issues 

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated