True Detective: Night Country (Season 4)

mdmost

Little did you know this sleepy little town in Alaska was full of homicidal maniacs. Fucking 8 scientists and 20 cleaning ladies willing to commit murder. Also didn’t realize that these cleaning ladies were educated in siege tactics.

Plus several cops, the CEO of the global mine company that chooses to live in ennis instead of Gstaad or Santa Barbara, and that big woman beater.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Smax said:

This what the third time you've posted you're not watching the show, then why are you here and why do you keep reminding us you stopped after the first episode?

Your desperate need for validation is embarrassing 

I’m sorry you weren’t intelligent enough to see the writing on the wall in episode 1. I’m not sorry that I’m here to remind you of it.

59 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’m sorry you weren’t intelligent enough to see the writing on the wall in episode 1. I’m not sorry that I’m here to remind you of it.

You’re not contributing anything to the thread. You’re just here trying to show how smart you are. It’s annoying, be better.

• Hook 'Em 2

So I fell asleep in about head the episodes so pardon me asking a dumb question here.

What were all the apparitions that kept appearing, the girl with the silent screaming mouth etc? Would appear after an Orange would come out of nowhere. What did I miss? Was that ever explained?

On 2/19/2024 at 1:50 AM, C-Man said:

Just finished it. Not sure what to think but first impression was that it was shit. The janitorial staff came and wrecked Tsalal’s shit?

giphy.gif

On 2/19/2024 at 12:33 PM, wildcat09 said:

I actually didn't hate the cleaning ladies finding the hatch and figuring it out angle (outside of the True Detective universe, "evil corporation foiled by cleaning ladies" is fucking hilarious), but that sure felt like a deus ex machina they came up with pretty late and couldn't even figure out how to tie in Annie's tongue being left there, so just said fuck it on that.

The series truly had the feel that a new writer was brought to the set every 15 minutes to take over. "Keep it creepy. Don't worry about loose ends. It's creepy and very deep." 

On 2/19/2024 at 3:15 PM, austingirl said:

Are we to believe that Clark saw Navarro when he said "she's awake" and started seizing in the first episode? A "time is a flat circle" thing? Or did I completely misunderstand this? 

You should have applied for head writer. This might have got them started on some sort of story line. 

20 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

What a shit show. 
So the whole thing is that a group of scientists went into a homicidal rage and brutally murdered a girl with a screw driver? And then the cleaning ladies god mad and staged a mass kidnapping to kill the scientists?

What the fuck

Angry women. Miscarriages. Men raping the earth and the women. Beating them. Killing them. The show dishonors the theme with blatant idiocy. 

I hope somebody buys the rights and turns the nerds failing to murder a woman despite stabbing her 50 times and then falling prey to cleaning staff into a big musical finish.

Model the scene where the murder victim lady is discovered in the cave. The late entries would be the other scientists. Lead into a stabbing frenzy.

Maybe end with this except make the scissor guys be cleaning women and see the scene to it's conclusion.

Wait.  Why was there a spiral on the cave ceiling?  What was the shit moving around under the table?  Why'd the electricity go off?  How did Clark get untied from his torture chair?   Why the hell would two cops go spelunking w/o any plans if they got lost?  Why would two cops split up to chase a crazy dude through a research center?  Why'd Danvers leave an orange peel in the shape of the spiral?  I'm not going to go rewatch, but I thought Annie died in a cave.  IIRC, she was in a lab room when murdered.

Your partner disappeared.  You're second in command disappeared.  7, no 8 scientists just died "randomly".  A witness disappeared.  But, hey!  Good luck with the local political scene.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It’s like they wrote this abortion of a woman’s empowerment story, then tried to back in a murder mystery.

Then they figured they needed to tie it to the original True Detective and threw in the spiral and the one time throw away line “time is a flat circle”. That part made me angry.

This was a horrible watch and waste of time. The payoff was up there with the worst of all time.

14 hours ago, Mileslong said:

What were all the apparitions that kept appearing, the girl with the silent screaming mouth etc? Would appear after an Orange would come out of nowhere. What did I miss? Was that ever explained?

Regardless of what they may have intended, I think the sum of what they put on film has to be that there are actual ghosts in Ennis.

Otherwise, you have at least four characters (Danvers, Navarro, Julia, and Rose) that are experiencing hallucinations, and somehow the rolling orange is common to all of them except Rose. Even that doesn’t explain how a hallucination of dead Travis would lead Rose to the frozen bodies of the scientists or how Navarro is having hallucinations of figures appearing behind her that only the viewer can see. 

This also raises the question for me of what happened to Navarro at the end? We see her walking off into the frozen tundra, heading towards absolutely nothing, like she’s finally doing what she’s tried to do before and like her sister did. Then she shows up in the final shot in Danvers’ lake house. Is she alive there, or is it her ghost?

Edited by Duane Moore
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

It’s like they wrote this abortion of a woman’s empowerment story, then tried to back in a murder mystery.

Then they figured they needed to tie it to the original True Detective and threw in the spiral and the one time throw away line “time is a flat circle”. That part made me angry.

I’ve heard this theory discussed on a podcast. That the show creators pitched the basic concept to HBO (“Night Country”), and some executives said “hey, let’s make this a True Detective series” to create buzz from familiar IP.  So they just glommed on a bunch of superficial callbacks to the first series that really have nothing to do with the actual plot of the show and we got what we got. Makes as much sense anything. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Regardless of what they may have intended, I think the sum of what they put on film has to be that there are actual ghosts in Ennis.

Otherwise, you have at least four characters (Danvers, Navarro, Julia, and Rose) that are experiencing hallucinations, and somehow the rolling orange is common to all of them except Rose. Even that doesn’t explain how a hallucination of dead Travis would lead Rose to the frozen bodies of the scientists or how Navarro is having hallucinations of figures appearing behind her that only the viewer can see. 

This also raises the question for me of what happened to Navarro at the end? We see her walking off into the frozen tundra, heading towards absolutely nothing, like she’s finally doing what she’s tried to do before and like her sister did. Then she shows up in the final shot in Danvers’ lake house. Is she alive there, or is it her ghost?

I honestly thought they were going to tie in some sort of toxin in the water that was making everyone go crazy. It’s the only thing I could come up with that would have explained any of it, and even that theory would have had issues.

Like someone else posted: the fact that they didn’t explain any of the other symptoms like fried corneas or burns is really shitty. On top of all the other shitty stiff.

This didn’t earn the TD name. Stolen valor.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I can’t believe people are trying to explain anything from this turd season.  Was so bad it was actually funny by the end.  So many tough wimmenz.  

I think the whole thing works if you actually view it as a comedy. I mean, my son and I were literally laughing out loud through the last three episodes. They were a few tweaks and breaking the fourth wall every now and then from making this one of the greatest spoofs since Airplane. 

Maybe that's what the writers were really going for. We (the audience) are actually the True Detectives, trying to unravel the mystery that this was really a gigantic, subtly brilliant, dark comedy mocking the entire genre, instead of the biggest pile of shit to hit HBO since the last season of Game of Thrones.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I think the whole thing works if you actually view it as a comedy. I mean, my son and I were literally laughing out loud through the last three episodes. They were a few tweaks and breaking the fourth wall every now and then from making this one of the greatest spoofs since Airplane. 

Maybe that's what the writers were really going for. We (the audience) are actually the True Detectives, trying to unravel the mystery that this was really a gigantic, subtly brilliant, dark comedy mocking the entire genre, instead of the biggest pile of shit to hit HBO since the last season of Game of Thrones.

The end of episode 4 with the line "we're all in the night country now!" was one of the dumbest and funniest things I've seen in awhile.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Something else that I didn't catch while watching.  And, I don't think it's made the 40+ list of stupidity or plot holes over the last 3 pages.  We knew Annie was killed by the group of scientists; however, the Eskimo Mafia did not know this.  Why did they go after the entire crew?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Something else that I didn't catch while watching.  And,p I don't think it's made the 40+ list of stupidity or plot holes over the last 3 pages.  We knew Annie was killed by the group of scientists; however, the Eskimo Mafia did not know this.  Why did they go after the entire crew?

It had. It doesn’t make sense. 

We saw the cleaning lady spill water and find hatch. We the saw cleaning lady find star shaped screwdriver. 

We as viewers were supposed to assume:

1. The cleaning ladies knew that the holes in the body were from a star shaped weapon. 
2. The star shaped screwdriver was the only one in the state. 

3. It requires 8 grown men to kill Annie and dispose of her body.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Something else that I didn't catch while watching.  And, I don't think it's made the 40+ list of stupidity or plot holes over the last 3 pages.  We knew Annie was killed by the group of scientists; however, the Eskimo Mafia did not know this.  Why did they go after the entire crew?

Obligatory:  Eskimo is not the proper nomenclature.  

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

HBO gone straight to shit. They have renewed TD for season 5, with Issa Lopez at the helm again. They also gave her a long term deal. The world is insane.

Scooby-Doo and Shaggy will headline season 5

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Rotten Tomatoes: 

Season 1 - 91%

Season 4 - 92%

How much money was spent buying these reviews?

Don't tell Issa that!  She has been cringe responding to everything online defending stuff.  Even Navarro is making fun of all fans who have had negative reviews on reddit/forums/socialmedia.  She wants you the viewer to decide the answers to all the unsolved plots. She also acts like she made up the "ask the right questions" with no influence from season 1...gods told her.

HBO only cares about viewers...bad or good reactions are still good for them. 

Lots of good shows are done....no more Succession....Curb is ending. 

I would cancel my HBO Max if I didn't already use my friend's login for free lol.

image.thumb.png.5614778d69094ea8d7fb2a4925047fb2.png+

image.png.8c4b29674b41c74fc1c509dfe6b0a9ff.png

image.png.67409d4d5b567052b27ee25695c888c9.png

image.png.09e0b6863180402d3de63048ec65c335.png

image.thumb.png.da6df419c36ad624629e0ac99376b5d5.png

6 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

HBO gone straight to shit. They have renewed TD for season 5, with Issa Lopez at the helm again. They also gave her a long term deal. The world is insane.

nana changing GIF

5 hours ago, Red Five said:

Rotten Tomatoes: 

Season 1 - 91%

Season 4 - 92%

How much money was spent buying these reviews?

I think RT reviews for TV are usually made based on the first 2-3 eps not the full season.

6 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Don't tell Issa that!  She has been cringe responding to everything online defending stuff.  Even Navarro is making fun of all fans who have had negative reviews on reddit/forums/socialmedia.  She wants you the viewer to decide the answers to all the unsolved plots. She also acts like she made up the "ask the right questions" with no influence from season 1...gods told her.

HBO only cares about viewers...bad or good reactions are still good for them. 

Lots of good shows are done....no more Succession....Curb is ending. 

I would cancel my HBO Max if I didn't already use my friend's login for free lol.

image.thumb.png.5614778d69094ea8d7fb2a4925047fb2.png+

image.png.8c4b29674b41c74fc1c509dfe6b0a9ff.png

image.png.67409d4d5b567052b27ee25695c888c9.png

image.png.09e0b6863180402d3de63048ec65c335.png

image.thumb.png.da6df419c36ad624629e0ac99376b5d5.png

Please keep it up Reis so HBO will never cast you again. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'm three episodes into a re-watch of season 1.  Now the wife wants to watch it again as well.  I will reluctantly watch the first three episodes again.  Paying particular attention to Alexandra Daddario in episode two, again.

Fortunately for you, those first three episodes were perfect and the best episodes of season 1.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict the next season's viewership won't be nearly as strong

People finish murder mysteries that they start. I think a lot of people just won't start next season 

Also, Pizzolatto's social media activity might be more cringeworthy than Issa's

23 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Can't get any more seasons of Mindhunter on Netflix or another platform but let's churn out more season of this dead franchise.

• Like 3