2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Man bama really fucked up with that hire. Debouer is destroying 2 rosters at once 

Pretty much anyone outside of Smart or Belichick was going to be a step down in the roster's eyes. There was no way you were going to keep that roster fully intact. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Man bama really fucked up with that hire. Debouer is destroying 2 rosters at once 

Who were they supposed to hire? Hiring head coaches is a always a crapshoot. It remains to be seen how it works out longterm.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If Bama were to take a step back next year, I'm sure their fans will be very patient and understanding.

Without the Saban effect, they better get used to being on a more even playing field in recruits' eyes.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

We had 8 total receptions worth of returning production at the WR position heading into the SEC, that is not a good formula for success. I would expect for Sark to loosen up the receiver rotation a bit this year since there is a lot of talented depth that needs to get experience. I would like to see us field 6-7 WRs that get consistent snaps. Cook, Bond, Golden, Boldin, Wingo, Niblett and Moore should all be seeing action next season.  

I know sark has a history of only using a handful of players at the WR position but it may change. That was pre portal. May rethink it to keep players in the fold as long as they are productive. I’m sure he wants to keep the high value players around for consistency. 

53 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Damn, they are getting absolutely gutted, and I am here for every fucking second of it. What in the hell is DeBoer telling saying that no one is willing to stay on board.

This might just be the new normal if you have a coach depart a roster with talent. Happened to A&M, happening to Bama, and it’ll probably happen at Michigan (although most of their studs are already gone). I assume Bama is doubly fucked because all these guys that took a Saban discount are now testing their market value.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

One thing I've seen consistently from Blue that I think is an important and under appreciated trait is his patience in the backfield to let his blocks develop.  So many RBs just run headlong to where the play is designed without that patience and miss out on some yards.  Blue shows that patience and then has the acceleration and speed to hit the holes his blockers create.

I look forward to game threads next fall when, as soon as Blue churns out less than 100 yards in a game, this will all be re-framed as him being afraid of contact, with no ability to go beast mode, and other disparaging remarks.

3 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

I have seen enough of Blue down the stretch to know that he is an absolute badass who is going to kill it in our offense.  As a runner, pass catcher, and if they let him, kickoff returns.  He has rare speed for a back and plays big.  That fumble was unfortunate, he was trying to make a play and get extra yards.  But he is going to be a major, major problem for opposing teams.

I am concerned about precisely two positions right now, DT and TE.  And I am not all that concerned about them.  I suspect they will be addressed.

How many teams are out there kicking themselves because Blue's agent floated his name as a possible portal entrant last year looking for NIL, and they gave him a big "Nope"?

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

7f0134b1d64d405461ebb09a337f914d.jpg

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Jeez I didn't expect this much attrition either. Wonder where Proctor will end up, that will be a expensive one.

Seen a few rumors on twitter that Jaheim Oatis may enter. That would be a nice add if we could get him.

12569176-de2b-4266-9f09-d8538f9907b2_tex

• Haha 1

Alabraska, clap clap clap clap clap.  
They hired a good coach.  If he goes 7-5 next year, isn't a great recruiter and doesn't care for the fanbase giving him a bunch of shit I could see him saying "Fuck it- I'm going to the NFL" and Bama getting to do all this again in a couple years, only starting from a worse position.  Or, in other words, exactly what happened to Nebraska when their legend retired, they lost their place at the absolute apex of college football and they lost their competitive advantage (admitting retards and criminals). Same same, different, but same.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Does this include players that started for other playoff teams that now play for Texas?

i'm really not sure how to accurately come up with this number as some of the guys i'm thinking of may not technically be starters but receive the bulk of the playing time:

defense (7) - sorrell, burke, hill, taffe, barron, brooks, muhammed

offense (7) - quinn, baxter/blue, banks, conner, majors, hutson, campbell

there is 14 and that's obviously not including any incoming transfers.  and i may have missed someone

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Does this include players that started for other playoff teams that now play for Texas?

We added a starting safety and two starting wide receivers from P5 schools. With the portal the entire “returning starter” stat means so much less than it used to. How many starters are we truly going to be breaking in new? Right tackle, middle linebacker and two tackles? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, FloridaHorn said:

Damn, they are getting absolutely gutted, and I am here for every fucking second of it. What in the hell is DeBoer telling saying that no one is willing to stay on board.

Maybe his “hello” talk is as bad as his “goodbye” talk?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Really who would have kept the guys that left especially since Downs during his recruitment said he would only trust Saban or Smart to develop him properly. Do you think Bond would have stayed Freshwater but not DeBoer? Please tell us what hire would have done better.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Fuck it....shit on Bama tangent we need

Charlie for DL coach! We know he can recruit and as a position coach that was his area for a few years. Also, Red would approve he was hired for the right level of coaching on a team.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Without the Saban effect, they better get used to being on a more even playing field in recruits' eyes.

Yup. Gotta figure the Saban promo code they have been using in the NIL space over the last decade is about to expire. Good luck competing with the larger/wealthier alumni bases now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Charlie for DL coach! We know he can recruit and as a position coach that was his area for a few years. Also, Red would approve he was hired for the right level of coaching on a team.

200.webp

I don't want that man anywhere near our team.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

We aren't going after Downs. With Barron back we're pretty much set in the DB room for now except for taking the home run swing at Muhammad at corner. We have a big incoming freshman class with Filsaime looking probable to be able to back up one of the safety spots. Taafe got a lot of unwarranted shit on here, he played very well last season and got blamed for a lot of other people making errors in reads or just in communication. Mostly Thompson and Crawford. 

Only real need is DT and I expect Sark and Wright or whoever the new DT coach is to go full on into it either in spring portal or one of these special portals if more coaches leave. The plan is probably to get Niblack or Yurasek now then put everything into DT. 

With Robinson bailing on us they're at 87 scholarships now, and 88 if they plan on giving Auburn one for his great production. 89 if Muhammad comes in, 90 if a TE comes in. They're going to need 5+ deep bench guys to bail to the portal after spring ball. 

We needs studs and competition.  Taafe should never be on the field for Texas unless he's covering a kick or bringing someone water.  If someone wants to spend the money to make our roster better at a major position of need, who are we to argue?  If we can't land the boys upfront this cycle, we better be able to cover on the back end.  I'm sure we are thrown in here to drive up the price but if the interest from the money players is real, absolutely take this guy over what we have.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I've got bad news for you about Red...

• Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.