2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

3 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Im still trying to figure out the financials of 3k monthly payments for a 1 million dollar car

They are offering great financing these days - It is really what is driving their sales.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Im still trying to figure out the financials of 3k monthly payments for a 1 million dollar car

think of it as a mortgage.  you can sleep in a car but you cant drive a house.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

For decades the cheaters would constantly claim "Texas pays players just like everyone else." Don't get me wrong, I was vocal about how Texas didn't handle it correctly. They should have either joined the cheaters or turned them in. The tactic of not cheating or turning them in but just whining about it to boosters while not letting them pay players was nauseating. But still, the cheaters would always have the same retort when Texas fans pointed out how they were outrecruiting Texas. "You're just jealous, Texas pays players just like everyone else."

Oh really?

Now that Texas affiliated interests are actually paying players because it's legal (along with a splash of winning), how's that working out for y'all? Fuck 'em all.

I truly hadn't thought of this aspect to this new age of college football. It makes me feel a little better about this stampede. 

Now we need only fear what A&M, the richest school in the history of rich, will do. I'm sure they're keeping up.

• Haha 1

Transition is tough, it's even tougher since they specifically chose to live in Tuscaloosa to get coached by Saban. The value proposition has changed and DeBoer isn't the guy to convince them otherwise. 

On top of that, they can make better money, live in a better town, and potentially get better development by leaving.

Not a hard decision if that's why you came.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Are they not letting the 2024 guys out of their NLI?

If they enrolled early, then they have to go through the portal.  Classes for Bama started Jan 10. 

Sayin was an early enrollee. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Screenshot2024-01-19at8_06_40AM.thumb.png.8d2d0875e4b3e12d1b9b6b8a35aeac49.png

The three year depreciation on an Aventador is $73k.

$73,000 / 36 months = $2027 / month. 

In the current market it's entirely possible you could still get New list price or even over list for a 2 year old Aventador with <6K miles. At the very least I'd bet the real market value is way better than these numbers. If you can write it off as a marketing expense, it's a no-brainer for the dealer. Add in the brand loyalty you're building with a soon to be wealthy young man, it's a great deal. 

I like how this thread keeps trying to stay on track and then there’s someone bringing up Lamborghini ownership costs again every 10 posts, like moving on would represent some kind of character defect.  

Also “Lambo” is just as bad as “Natty”.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Deboer is tearing Alabama down to the studs in order to rebuild something that didn’t need to be rebuilt. Folks still employed there are fucking dumbfounded. 

I guess this is the way Deboer did it at his other stops, so it’s got to be this way in Tuscaloosa? I’m enjoying it, I know that. 

He gave lip service to Saban being allowed say in everything and always being welcome so I was wondering if this is ego and his way of trying to show that "when I win here it will be my success not Saban's" or something ridiculous like that. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

A Georgia booster friend of mine just told me that Ohio State and Texas are throwing "unprecedented" money at Caleb Downs. Sounds like bullshit to me, but he was right about AD Mitchell leaving and coming to Texas well before the news became public. Figured I would ask before I would tell him his source sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

GENWcGXX0AAXSD6?format=jpg&name=large

Jesus we're gonna skull fuck!

We only got them because A&M's new coach understands that you don't want guys like these. You want players who've proven themselves (to some degree) at less prominent programs. They're grinders with calloused hands and chips on their shoulders. I pity our players having to face men of such grit and courage.

Evidently DeBoers is of like mind.

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Deboer is tearing Alabama down to the studs in order to rebuild something that didn’t need to be rebuilt. Folks still employed there are fucking dumbfounded. 

I guess this is the way Deboer did it at his other stops, so it’s got to be this way in Tuscaloosa? I’m enjoying it, I know that. 

I've seen folks in other lines of work do the same, especially in similar situations - imagine you're coming into a great position and the person you're following is considered not just great, but perhaps the greatest ever.  A technique to establish yourself as the org alpha is to tear things down not because they're completely broken, but because it's more imperative to let everyone know that you ARE the alpha and you're going to have things YOUR way.  If you get everyone cowed and jumping to your every word then it might work...

...then again it frequently doesn't (look at our AD disaster a few years ago).

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Noozak said:

A Georgia booster friend of mine just told me that Ohio State and Texas are throwing "unprecedented" money at Caleb Downs. Sounds like bullshit to me, but he was right about AD Mitchell leaving and coming to Texas well before the news became public. Figured I would ask before I would tell him his source sucks.

I think it’s clear that the SEC blue bloods will now presume every Texas commitment or transfer is purely about the payday.  

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Crazy, letting the narcissistic tendencies run free even against what Saban built?

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

13 minutes ago, Noozak said:

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Downs’ agent was negotiating with Ohio State before he ever entered the portal. Georgia got involved. Texas is being mentioned as a negotiating tactic. I don’t think Texas is working on this one. Maybe something is happening late with Texas, but I doubt it. 

Expect Texas to be mentioned in every high profile portal situation, but don’t take anything seriously unless a player actually visits. 

That exact strategy has been de rigueur in European Soccer transfer negotiations for the last decade plus. Come to think of it, the combination of NIL and the transfer portal is pushing college football squarely into a transfer market operating model, except that teams are getting no financial upside when star players move on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.