2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

I worked at a store in the mall similar to Gadzooks for part of one summer and Christmas break. We sold those shirts, Oakleys, Raybans, No Fear gear, Mossimo and Stussey. At the fucking time, I was embarrassed when people bought the Big Johnson shirts. I was 17 and questioning their decision making. 
I bought one No Fear t shirt. A rooster facing a cat, both sneering at each other and the cat was thinking “chicken” and the rooster was thinking “pussy”. I thought it was funny. Every single time I wore that shirt to class at Texas, a girl approached me about studying together. I wore it 3 times and was 3 for 3. The last girl stole the shirt from me. 

Reigning champ, and still undefeated…
  • Hook 'Em 1

Good lord this bread is still a dumpster fire. If we aren’t talking transfer news or no news can we at least move back a few years and talk about OP fashion from the 80’s? Way better than No Fear. 

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NTVTXN said:

I worked at an Account in Arlington back in the ‘90’s. It was in very close proximity to The Ballpark so we’d get a lot of visiting Team players come in to waste time between games. So, one day the Mariners are in town and this REALLY tall dude with long hair and a fu-Manchu walks in and sees the rack of “Big Johnson” tees. He got all excited and bought every XXL we had. I told him I could get more designs from the Dallas store, so he came back the next afternoon and bought those. This kept going for about three years. Every time the Mariners were in town, Randy Johnson would come buy his BJ tee’s.

CSB…TIA or not. 😕

That is a csb. I think. 

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I worked at a store in the mall similar to Gadzooks for part of one summer and Christmas break. We sold those shirts, Oakleys, Raybans, No Fear gear, Mossimo and Stussey. At the fucking time, I was embarrassed when people bought the Big Johnson shirts. I was 17 and questioning their decision making. 

I bought one No Fear t shirt. A rooster facing a cat, both sneering at each other and the cat was thinking “chicken” and the rooster was thinking “pussy”. I thought it was funny. Every single time I wore that shirt to class at Texas, a girl approached me about studying together. I wore it 3 times and was 3 for 3. The last girl stole the shirt from me. 

Nm

Edited by Cairn Horn88

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Nah they were really in it for that 7.52 40 speed 

6 hours ago, troph said:

Good lord this bread is still a dumpster fire. If we aren’t talking transfer news or no news can we at least move back a few years and talk about OP fashion from the 80’s? Way better than No Fear. 

OP was for nerds who shopped at JCPenny.

image.thumb.png.ab24f25613966f634e2a965016d8feb3.png

Edited by Herpa Derpa

16 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Then the Texans passed on Derrick Johnson and then Vince Young. I watched more NFL and Houston NFL football in 2023 than I had in the last decade combined. Maybe there's hope, but that Bills game may have really broken me. We'll see. 

The Texans passed on Justin Tucker to let him go undrafted. Instead they drafted Fat Randy Bullock in the 5th round. Idiots in the back office.

7 hours ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

$80 bucks for 3 rounds of strange is a damn fine investment.

I believe the term you are looking for is ROI on investment. (Thanks Michigan)

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Josef Pwag said:

I saw Sublime with Rome this summer. I was drunk on a blanket at an outdoor venue. Rome Ramirez made some comment about the people in their 40s & 50s in the crowd. The early 20s kid setting right next to me booed. I looked at him and said, "These songs came out before you were born. Why are you here? Is there any artist from your lifetime that doesn't suck?" He had a sense of humor about things, which is good, because he could have knocked my old ass out if things got nasty. The moral of the story is this, I'll never get over the Oilers playoff collapse in Buffalo in 1993. All of the overpriced drinks at retro concerts in the world won't fix things. So, I'm alone. Always will be. I work a bit. I eat a lot of Chinese food. I listen to some podcasts. I'm just biding my time, occasionally shaving my back, waiting for the heart attack that puts me out of my misery. 

The KC loss in playoffs next year was worse.  That Oiler team was so much better and could have given us an all Texas Super Bowl.  

• Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, Newy25 said:

The only sad part about the Oilers epic collapse against the Bills as a Cowboys fan is being robbed of the opportunity to watch an all Texas Super Bowl in Pasadena. I was 12 when my father took me to the Rose Bowl for that game and it would have been glorious watching Cowboys v Oilers. 

As a Cowboys fan, I was dreading this matchup. Thought Oilers were the only team that could beat us that year. I thought our secondary was suspect and would get exposed by that offense. 

10 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

The KC loss in playoffs next year was worse.  That Oiler team was so much better and could have given us an all Texas Super Bowl.  

I was at that game. I got food poisoning at the dome and turned into a fountain in the Primo Pasta parking lot on the way home. Horrible day. 

• Haha 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

40 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

Jan 4th 1992 -  Broncos down 21-6

Jan 3th  1993 - Buffalo

Jan 15th 1994  -  Chiefs

This run killed me (plus some Astros pain - specifically '86 and '98)

It wasn't until Jan 4th 2006 that I even considered that maybe i wasn't cursed. 

Do none of you whipper-snappers remember the fucking over of Mike Renfro?

The original Oiler pain.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

20 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Anyone hitting the portal now would not be good for Texas. It's not like Texas could enroll them for the spring at this point. So someone entering the portal now would be heading to the west coast. No thanks. There will be serious efforts in April to land major help on the DL.

CTJ, I'm not calling you out here or anything, your comment just prompted this thought of mine so I'm raising this in a more general way. Also, sorry to break up the reminiscing about working at places like The Buckle and Fast Forward in the 90s malls...

So if we need a DL and we'll be seriously looking for help in the next portal window, which is something BB has said many times on OTF as well, then why again were we 'not interested' in Walter Nolen? He was a good player, right? That seems to be an obvious yes, so that leads me to believe either he had no interest in us or his asking price was just too high. Assuming it was his price then I wonder how that tradeoff will look when everything is said and done.  What do we end up paying for the big portal help in April vs. what Ole Miss paid Nolen and how does that compare to the difference in talent.  We'll never know, well probably I will never know, but if we're just 1 really good DT away from being better next year than this year's team, as BB has said, then maybe that price was worth it. 

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I suspect the words “culture” and “fit” and “we don’t need 100% money driven divas” may be included in future responses, and all appropriate words.

yea, but he would be a one and done guy, and we have a culture of kicking ass.  Paying a one and done mercenary won't kill your culture especially if it plugs a real need, see AD mitchell.  Maybe he has off field behavioral issues like he wants agreement up front to skip practice and smoke weed in the locker room... .but that sounds crazy unlikely to me given it would kill his draft stock. 

It seems like there are always these responses that blame a player's character when we don't get them (see Dominic Mckinley - I know poor motor and mama doesn't want him coached by mean bo davis...), but is the real truth that we just didn't want to pay that much for one single non-QB player? And if so, that's cool, gotta think about things in their totality, I'm just wondering if it will come back around later when we need a stop on 4th & 2, or something. 

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Drummond said:

Jan 4th 1992 -  Broncos down 21-6

Jan 3th  1993 - Buffalo

Jan 15th 1994  -  Chiefs

This run killed me (plus some Astros pain - specifically '86 and '98)

It wasn't until Jan 4th 2006 that I even considered that maybe i wasn't cursed. 

I was too young for 1978-80 Oilers and 1981 Rockets but thank god the Rockets came along in 1994 & 1995 because Oilers 1991-93 was the fucking worst shit ever.

I did yell out "I am not a curse" from the 3rd base line at Rosenblatt after Oniveros fielded the final out in the 2002 College World Series as the dogpile was going on.  We then proceeded to party with the Street family at Starsky's immediately after the game with a celebratory meal of steak the Drover (72nd & Mercy).

Texas needs to figure shit out fast because we're 18 years and counting since baseball & football and infinity years and counting in basketball and IDGAF about the rest ;-)

Edited by Pimphand

5 hours ago, Marcusshelton said:

As a Cowboys fan, I was dreading this matchup. Thought Oilers were the only team that could beat us that year. I thought our secondary was suspect and would get exposed by that offense. 

The Oilers 1992-93 team really was not that good.  They went 10-6 and their defense under Jim Eddy was mediocre.

The 1993-94 team that lost to Montana was so much better.  They started 1-4 because they changed the entire defense.  And then won 11 in a row once Buddy Ryan got the defense going, even beating a strong San Fran team on the road and holding them to 7 points. 

The 1993 team was the one that could have given Dallas a game.  Dallas would have destroyed the 1992 Oilers.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Marcusshelton said:

That Oilers team was soft against the run, if I remember correctly. Instead of Aikman being the MVP Emmitt would have gone off against those guys. 

CTJ, I'm not calling you out here or anything, your comment just prompted this thought of mine so I'm raising this in a more general way. Also, sorry to break up the reminiscing about working at places like The Buckle and Fast Forward in the 90s malls...
So if we need a DL and we'll be seriously looking for help in the next portal window, which is something BB has said many times on OTF as well, then why again were we 'not interested' in Walter Nolen? He was a good player, right? That seems to be an obvious yes, so that leads me to believe either he had no interest in us or his asking price was just too high. Assuming it was his price then I wonder how that tradeoff will look when everything is said and done.  What do we end up paying for the big portal help in April vs. what Ole Miss paid Nolen and how does that compare to the difference in talent.  We'll never know, well probably I will never know, but if we're just 1 really good DT away from being better next year than this year's team, as BB has said, then maybe that price was worth it. 
aggy has a way of tainting the psyche of players who spend at least one season there. When was the last time we got an aggy transfer or even one showing interest after hopping in the portal?

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.