2024 Transfer Thread - Watching victory88 & Friends Ignorantly Bawl All Over Themselves

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What is going on with moose Muhammad at A&M? I would think he and his dad would want him to be on a higher profile team to help with a potential nfl career. 

Pretty sure nfl scouts have access to aggy film.  Now a better offense and qb would help

8 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

As someone who has negotiated a lot of influencer contracts I'm just imagining that whatever NIL they're throwing at these dudes includes a deliverable and brief to tweet that they're actually not getting paid and it's a hilarious image in my head

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Move on to what? Penix will get a look in the NFL but no way Gabriel is every more than a practice squad guy at best with that lack of arm and his entire college career in junk college offense. Dudes like him should get all the NIL they can while they can. 

Move on to the real world and get a fucking job like the rest of us. I don't like kids playing five or six full fucking years of college football.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Teryor said:

As someone who has negotiated a lot of influencer contracts I'm just imagining that whatever NIL they're throwing at these dudes includes a deliverable and brief to tweet that they're actually not getting paid and it's a hilarious image in my head

I don't know what that is, but it sounds like a good handle.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

If my memory serves correctly, X was chasing more money and threatened a transfer after his Fresh year. We placated with better NIL money. He later found religion/culture. He even alluded to it in the post B12 champ LHN interview. He said year 1, guys were looking out for themselves and their own stats. This year was all about the team. I'm assuming he was including himself in that statement.

So I wouldn't be so hard on Stewart for chasing money. Give him money and maybe he too can find religion/culture in this program. That may be too big of a risk tho.

X maximized his money but he also fully buys in with the team. He's been getting banged up and still playing most games this year. Stewart would've shut it down the first time he rolled his ankle. 

33 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Abor, Thompson, Byrd... it's Duncanville's greatest hits

In hindsight losing that Duncanville pipeline when Ja'Quinden Jackson transferred and we didn't hire Samples has turned out ok

• Hook 'Em 9

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Move on to the real world and get a fucking job like the rest of us. I don't like kids playing five or six full fucking years of college football.

Because no one ever spends 5 or 6 years in college before moving on to the real world without playing college football.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Life as a student athlete, especially at Texas, is more difficult of a job than most people ever come close to in their lives.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

Marcus Majors and Daylan Smothers in the portal from the OU RB room. sounds like Majors was expected, Smothers was less so.

edit: missed the third guy

17 minutes ago, C-Man said:

i mean it's just because of the COVID year

plus he can go earn more on a NIL deal than he probably earns year 1 out of college anyway. good for him in this situation

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Because no one ever spends 5 or 6 years in college before moving on to the real world without playing college football.

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

Life as a student athlete, especially at Texas, is more difficult of a job than most people ever come close to in their lives.

All they're doing is taking up space on a roster at the expense of guys coming in, especially at QB position where you only have one on the field at all times.

Not to mention all these middling talents are going to have unbreakable records simply because they played 50+ college games. Bo Nix has played 60 college games.

1 minute ago, NoName said:

Marcus Majors and Daylan Smothers in the portal from the OU RB room. sounds like Majors was expected, Smothers was less so.

plus he can go earn more on a NIL deal than he probably earns year 1 out of college anyway. good for him in this situation

Smothers almost left during fall camp. Had 11 carries for 40 something yards. Still sucks to see him go. Thought he could turn into a player eventually. 

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I would expect Texas to lose, to the portal:

1 QB Murphy

1 TE Davis

2 WR Neyor, Cain

4 OL (SGW, Merril, Kirkland, Cajoe are the most likely for varying reasons. They do not want to lose, but may lose, several other back-ups if there's NIL craziness. The only way Cam Williams is leaving is for a giant pile of cash from another major P5 that Texas simply cannot match or doesn't want to match.)

2 DT Carter, Swanson

2 DE hmm... Akana? Finkley came for academics and is in rotation so doubt he'd leave.  Would hate to lose Tapp as he has athleticism the others don't.  Maybe Vasek? Did he play at all?  He's behind a bunch of dudes and now has to compete with Simmons.  I imagine a "5 star" probably wants to play.

2 CB/Star  Brice, Guilbeau/Jordan

2 S  BJ Allen, LTG

I would expect Texas to take, from the portal:

1 TE

3 WR (they are looking at cream of the crop stuff here, and they may decide to be picky and take 1-2 and see what happens this spring)

1 DL

1 LB

1-2 DB (they will take elite DBs only, and apparently Korie Black qualifies)

For fun, let's speculate...

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Question on the student part of student athletes. Jonathan Brooks is having his ACL surgery today. It is two weeks from finals. Do they allow athletes the ability to take finals after Christmas?

Speaking from personal experience, I had to have surgery before a final and couldn't take the final.  The professor can do three things (at least 20 something years ago).  Exercise discretion and just give the student the grade they earned before the final.  Give them an incomplete and require them to take the final next semester.  Work with the student to take the final at some other time.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Speaking from personal experience, I had to have surgery before a final and couldn't take the final.  The professor can do three things (at least 20 something years ago).  Exercise discretion and just give the student the grade they earned before the final.  Give them an incomplete and require them to take the final next semester.  Work with the student to take the final at some other time.

Thanks. Good to know that there are options. I was hoping it wasn't a sign that he is going pro.

21 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Why would they do that? Would you forego getting paid good money to be a big time college star athlete for an extra year or two just to go work a shit job like 99 percent of the population? I sure as fuck wouldn't. 

The only dudes that do this are ones not evaluated as good enough to go in the draft. And the extra COVID year will only be around another year or two then will be out of the game. Seems like a weird thing to get mad about. 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Atticus said:

This. I remember when I used to hang out with former UT All America MB Dawn Davenport & she told me what their schedule was like as volleyball players. It was unreal, and that was 40 years ago. I'm sure it hasn't become more relaxed since then.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He’s going to need it. That COLA from Starkville to Seattle is a killer. 

They are offering a base pay raise, moving expenses, a sign on bonus and COLA these days. Plus, Washington has no state income tax.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

He/his dad reached out to Deion last spring about him transferring over, since he'd looked at Jackson State during his recruitment. Allegedly there was a tepid response about competing for playing time and no NIL so Taylor stayed put and collected his money.

There's going to be some pain for Texas in the portal this cycle, but Texas should also win again on a net basis from the portal. There is a lot of interest coming UT's way across the board. 

I would expect Texas to lose, to the portal:

1 QB

1 TE

2 WR

4 OL (SGW, Merril, Kirkland, Cajoe are the most likely for varying reasons. They do not want to lose, but may lose, several other back-ups if there's NIL craziness. The only way Cam Williams is leaving is for a giant pile of cash from another major P5 that Texas simply cannot match or doesn't want to match.)

2 DT

2 DE

2 CB/Star

2 S

I would expect Texas to take, from the portal:

1 TE

3 WR (they are looking at cream of the crop stuff here, and they may decide to be picky and take 1-2 and see what happens this spring)

1 DL

1 LB

1-2 DB (they will take elite DBs only, and apparently Korie Black qualifies)

Texas is going to sign 23-25 HS players. So if they're losing 15-20 in the portal and 15-20 to draft plus graduation, that would have them net zero to net down 9 max. If they're going beyond potential net down 3-4, I assume they're making that up in the portal. 

There are roughly, supposedly, 15 guys on the roster that they'd be fine losing, although not necessarily being aggressive with that many. 

I expect there to be 3-4 transfer announcements shortly and then a relative trickle until the playoffs are over. There are going to be a few guys who, as soon as they've met with Sarkisian, are going to feel like they need to get the fuck out and get a landing spot somewhere quickly. That will outweigh the desire to be a part of a playoff team. I'll be shocked if it is more than 5 guys and the same if it is like 0-1. We will all know a lot more over the next 36 hours regarding transfers out since the guys they're the most bullish on not being a part of the program going forward will be met with quickly, immediately following anyone, if there is anyone, who they view as a real flight risk ahead of the playoffs that they do not want to lose.

One caveat to all of this is that no one knows to what extent the culture being created, and the opportunities being presented, puts both a lid on guys leaving and the quality of the guys they can bring in. Everyone is assuming some pain on the portal side related to NIL expectations in the market, and the unknown aspects of the depth and breadth of that, and whether or not Texas can handle it. There's a legit chance the program can happily play inside of all of these numbers, but no one is preparing for the best case scenario.

Are the coaches entertaining the idea of allowing Kris Ross back on the team, or is he persona non grata at this point?

24 minutes ago, NoName said:

edit: missed the third guy

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Is there a worse coach than the OU RB coach?

Seriously. We need to get a giant pool of assistant coach money, and give half to Tashard Choice and the other half for Demarco Murray to stay at Oklahoma.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

24 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

In hindsight losing that Duncanville pipeline when Ja'Quinden Jackson transferred and we didn't hire Samples has turned out ok

And Sark has re-established the pipeline this year anyways.

18 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

No idea on how it is today, but my mother sat next to Nobis in one of her math classes at UT and her comment was always he was a nice guy and friendly but she never remembered him showing up the day they had any test.

My old man was at SMU during the Pony Express days and had a class with Eric Dickerson. Said he only ever saw him twice, the first day of class and the day of the final. And on the final he turned in his test back to the professor 45 seconds after they were handed out and left.

• Haha 1

Probably stating the obvious at this point but the safety room is likely getting a complete makeover outside of Taaffe/Williams. 98% sure Catalon is not coming back and apparently may not even stick around for the playoff. Dude got 10 snaps against Tech running 3rd string and didn't even play this past Saturday. Writing has been on the wall for Crawford for a while and not sure how you can have hopes for LTG/BJ Allen considering they couldn't get on the field this year with this depth chart. Jerrin Thompson has a covid year but he is who he is at this point.

They will need to move at least 1 corner/nickel to safety this spring, pray we get Filsaime and even then we might need 2 guys in the portal. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Probably stating the obvious at this point but the safety room is likely getting a complete makeover outside of Taaffe/Williams. 98% sure Catalon is not coming back and apparently may not even stick around for the playoff. Dude got 10 snaps against Tech running 3rd string and didn't even play this past Saturday. Writing has been on the wall for Crawford for a while and not sure how you can have hopes for LTG/BJ Allen considering they couldn't get on the field this year with this depth chart. Jerrin Thompson has a covid year but he is who he is at this point.

They will need to move at least 1 corner/nickel to safety this spring, pray we get Filsaime and even then we might need 2 guys in the portal. 

I mean, which writing on the wall for Crawford? That he is a Senior, or that he fucking sucks? I assume you're going to answer "yes."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

I wonder if Catalon has some kind of beef. He seemed to ball when he was in there, but I wasn't seeing much of his coverage on TV. 

4 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

I wonder if Catalon has some kind of beef. He seemed to ball when he was in there, but I wasn't seeing much of his coverage on TV. 

We gave him a chance. He can't stay healthy. He's not a plus coverage guy either. 

He may go elsewhere and play his covid year, but he may just call it a career with all those injury issues.

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Watching victory88 & Friends Ignorantly Bawl All Over Themselves