Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

I was in Chicago for a long weekend and soaked up as much patio time as possible. At lunch on Saturday a couple was so offended they would be seated outside with the oppressive heat. Got a good laugh out of that.

Jokes on me though. I land back in Austin in 10 minutes with nothing but 100+ degree days on the horizon.

• Haha 1

Travis and Williamson get their burn bans

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/travis-and-williamson-counties-now-under-mandatory-burn-bans/

land we are breaking some records

https://www.kxan.com/weather/forecast/todays-forecast/

High temperatures tied another record Tuesday afternoon in Austin reaching 107°. This was our third consecutive day to tie or set a record high temperature.

Austin also tallied its 9th-consecutive day of temperatures reaching 105° or hotter, tying the all-time record for the most extreme heat days in a row, set in 1923. This is a record we will beat on Wednesday and may eventually beat by a wide margin.

As we hover in a close second place for the hottest July on record to date, daily heat records continue to fall through the week and potentially into next week.

The area will see its first rain chance since July 6th in the form of a few very isolated thunderstorms on Saturday and Sunday. Unfortunately, we are only expecting a 10% chance of rain where you live, which will not bring much in the way of heat relief.

good job Buda

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/hays/officials-responding-to-wildfire-near-buda-subdivision/

Multiple first responders were called to assist with a wildfire in the Ruby Ranch subdivision in west Buda near Montgomery Court on Tuesday, the Hays County Office of Emergency Management (HCOEM) said on social media.

Officials said the fire started after a homeowner was cutting something with a saw and sparks caught the grass on fire. At this time, officials said the fire is roughly 45 acres and 85% contained. At least 17 structures were saved because of firefighters’ efforts and help from aircraft.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I’ve lived in Texas all my life and can’t recall a summer this miserable.

I keep thinking "this has to be confirmation bias" when I feel like this is a worse summer than many before it.

But then the numbers keep piling up - 107 degrees today, in the middle of July.

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

43 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

This year is terrible for sure, but for some reason last year seemed even worse.  We got hot this year in early June.  It was April last year when the blast furnace hit.

36 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I disagree, but let's be honest, it all just sucks now.

A little bit of this, a little bit of that - from KXAN, this is the hottest stretch we've had in Austin since records started being kept.

Afternoon highs will reach 102°-108° areawide today, well above seasonal averages for this time of year. Austin’s forecast high of 107° today is not only expected to break the daily record of 106° set just last year, it will also seal the deal for the longest stretch of 105° or hotter (10 days) we’ve ever observed here in Austin, a record that has been in the books for 100 years.

As we hover in second place for the hottest July on record to date, daily heat records continue to fall through the week and potentially into next week.

This year is terrible for sure, but for some reason last year seemed even worse.  We got hot this year in early June.  It was April last year when the blast furnace hit.

From Space City Weather, in Houston at least the mean June/July daily temps were actually slightly higher last year. The heat indices (“feels like”) and low temps are worse this year because of higher dew points, which is attributed to an exceptionally warm Gulf of Mexico. They showed that most places in Texas are setting a few high temp records, but absolutely smashing overnight low records. We’ve been at 78-80 degree lows for well over a month. Normal for that time frame (June into July) would be 70-75.

I know Gulf moisture impacts Texas’s weather well inland of Houston so I wouldn’t be surprised if this is true for Austin, San Antonio, and DFW folks too. And I’ve read previously that low temps are expected to increase more significantly than high temps in TX as the climate changes (not to say that highs won’t increase, just that the difference between 98 and 101 is less than the difference between 74 and 80, for example).

Phoenix...good thing they've got a lot of water.  Oh, wait, whoops.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/phoenix-reaches-110-degrees-for-a-record-setting-19th-day-in-a-row/ar-AA1e2hG7

In a city used to blazing summers, a historic heat wave set a new benchmark Tuesday: Temperatures reached 110 degrees on a 19th-consecutive day here.

And then they kept climbing: The mercury hit 116 less than two hours later, breaking a record for Tuesday’s date, and rose as high as 118, according to preliminary National Weather Service data. The hot streak is not expected to end soon, meaning old records will be shattered. High temperatures are forecast to reach 115 degrees or hotter for at least the next week.

• Temperatures have tied or broken daily records during five of the past six days at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, including a high of 118 degrees Saturday. (The city’s hottest temperature ever observed was 122 degrees on June 26, 1990.)
  • Nights are providing little relief from the heat — Tuesday morning was a record ninth in a row at Sky Harbor during which temperatures failed to drop below 90 degrees. Monday morning, temperatures bottomed out at 95 degrees, the highest daily minimum temperature for the date and second-warmest recorded on any day.
  • Phoenix is enduring one of its longest stretches ever observed without measurable precipitation, and that lack of rain and clouds is helping the heat persist. Only traces of rain have been observed at Sky Harbor over the past 118 days, one of the 10 longest such streaks there, according to the National Weather Service.
  • It’s not just its duration — the heat wave’s intensity is surpassing previous hot streaks. Temperatures have averaged above 101 degrees in Phoenix over the past 17 days. That is significantly hotter than another record-setting heat wave, when the city surpassed 110 degrees on 18 consecutive days in 1974. During that stretch, temperatures averaged 96.5 degrees.

2 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

2011 was horrible - we are getting there though.

Yeah, we are.  But as someone noted above, at this point, we're getting to a place where "all summers are shitty."  In terms of how it affects your life, there's not much difference in the summer where we had 40 days over 100, averaging 103, vs. one where we had 35 days over 100, averaging 102.8.  It's like saying that being sodomized by a baseball bat studded with 98 nails isn't so bad, because LAST time, the baseball bat was studded with 100 nails.  Fuck that shit, it all sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I moved back in July 2019.  Every summer has sucked shit through a straw and that's after being in SE Asia and W Africa for the prior 16 years.  There was one summer that started off pretty good (2021 I believe) where it rained quite a bit in June and temps didn't seem bad at all.  But God almighty August more than made up for it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I moved back in July 2019.  Every summer has sucked shit through a straw and that's after being in SE Asia and W Africa for the prior 16 years.  There was one summer that started off pretty good (2021 I believe) where it rained quite a bit in June and temps didn't seem bad at all.  But God almighty August more than made up for it.

Yep. That was a weird year. 

24 minutes ago, SurlyBDR said:

Screenshot-20230719-125554-Messages.jpg

This Is Fine GIF

So did you text HELP4HELP?

1 hour ago, hookem2010 said:

I guess I don't remember how miserable August was in 2021, although I do recall that second summer didn't seem to end until November. But 2021 may end up being one of the most tolerable summers for the rest of our lives.

I was the nicest June/July I can remember.  Then August came in with no lube and didn't let up til October.

17 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

Mexico city or Colorado in the next year or 2. Even my wife is on board. Amarillo may be the only inhabitable city over 100k in Texas now.  God bless the Caprock.  Dallas area can go fuck itself. 

Have you looked at prices in the ex-pat areas of Mexico City? It ain't cheap anymore and there's a whole list of other issues to deal with living in Mexico City.

You might take a look at Puebla (where I live). 90 minutes from Mexico City, great weather, much cheaper.

Edited by rage-a-holic

48 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I was the nicest June/July I can remember.  Then August came in with no lube and didn't let up til October.

Wasn’t it like 80 at one point in December 2021? I had just moved back from Colorado too.  Even Christmas it was like 77. And then last year was like 30

Edited by Js1

Pretty clear that July is gonna suck all the way to the finish line.

Went back and read through the 2022 thread and it's darkly funny how identical the posts from mid-July 2022 are to this thread lately. Only thing that gives me any kind of hope for relief was that the posts started to get less apocalyptic in August. 

Went back and checked the weather records for Houston and, I'll be damned, after like 6 straight weeks of misery, the first Saturday in August was 90/74. It got blazing hot again for a few days after, but by 8/20, it only got above 95 twice the remainder of the year, and we even had a handful of days towards the end of August where the high only made it to the upper 80's. 

First whiff of a "cool" front last year came on 9/14 (89/66). First extended dose of pleasant weather was a front that lasted about a week from 9/27 to 10/5. Daily highs in the mid 80's and lows in the high 50's. 

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Wasn’t it like 80 at one point in December 2021? I had just moved back from Colorado too.  Even Christmas it was like 77. And then last year was like 30

80 degrees in December happens. The average hottest December day in Houston is 80 degrees.

What was wild about that December is that the mean high temp for the month was mid/upper 70’s, just a few degrees off that mean maximum. And it was a very nasty, swampy, muggy month. That was actually the straw the broke the camel’s back with regard to me wanting to leave.

The historical average December high is 65 degrees. Eclipsed the average high for the entire month by double digits.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

80 degrees in December happens. The average hottest December day in Houston is 80 degrees.

I think I just absolutely forgot since usually by December, it already snows a few times in CO.  Except 2021, where by the time I left the weekend before Thanksgiving, it still hadn't snowed at all.  It was the most pleasant, clearest drive I could have made from Denver to Houston.  

And then it was a very warm, muggy December.  And I instantly hated it. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Js1 said:

New Years Eve hit the 90’s then 12 hours later it was in the 20’s. I took a screenshot of the weather update showing a current temperature of 90 along with a banner for a Hard Freeze warning. I named it bullshit.png. 

Edit to add:  Pretty sure I posted bullshit.png in the 2021 Blast Furnace thread. 

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

Same story as everyone else. Lived in Texas my entire life and starting to think I can’t take it anymore. Heat like this is just as inhospitable as 0 degrees and snow. 

I'm 47 and in the same boat. I have zero desire to do anything between 2:30 and 6:00.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/18/2023 at 11:35 PM, Helobious said:

2011 was the the absolute suck. Drought began early in the year, triple digits started in May. By July, lake travis was a puddle. My dumbass picked August 27 as a move-in date, 113 degrees. Then in September Bastrop burned to a crisp. Yes this summer is a miserable bitch, but 2011 was the wrath of an angy God

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Kavinsky said:

2011 was the the absolute suck. Drought began early in the year, triple digits started in May. By July, lake travis was a puddle. My dumbass picked August 27 as a move-in date, 113 degrees. Then in September Bastrop burnt to a crisp. Yes this summer is a miserable bitch, but 2011 was the wrath of an angy God

It’s not even August. Let’s not start sucking each others dicks just yet.  

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2