Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

Checked my local weather to see what’s what (don’t ask) and then scrolled over to see family locales. And I see that, at almost midnight local time, it’s 92 with a heat index! of 95 in Arlington at this moment.  That’s toasty warm.  No sunburn though I guess if you wanted to get a round in about now. 

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Furk, only 40 acres, but 10% contained.

100 acres, 40% contained, but some people are able to come back.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/bastrop/home-evacuations-underway-due-to-bastrop-wildfire/

Just before 10 p.m. first responders said people living in the areas affected by the evacuations could return home. That area was between Harmon Road and Pine Hill Loop in Bastrop. It’s unclear how many homes are impacted at this time. Neighbors are advised to contact the county hotline at (512) 303-4300 for more information.

Follow it https://public.tfswildfires.com/

I picked an awesome week to be in Dallas. It was 95° at 10am Monday while I waited for my Uber at DAL. Luckily some meetings fell through so I didn’t even check into my hotel. Took my Monday meetings and flew home.

I’m back tomorrow for the Rangers game. I’m really glad it’s an indoor park.

The heat is causing weird stuff in San Antonio.

Yesterday, No wind all day.

Then a localized huge gust of wind rocked my street.

Threw trash cans in the street (it was trash day), Oak tree branches broken everywhere. Moss all over. Super weird.

It lasted for ~ minute then nothing. 

3 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

Tomorrow ties the record for consecutive 100+ days in Austin, right? Looks like we should tack on a minimum 5 more days after that. Good work, everyone. Can't wait to shatter more records in the future!

spacer.png

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

Tomorrow ties the record for consecutive 100+ days in Austin, right? Looks like we should tack on a minimum 5 more days after that. Good work, everyone. Can't wait to shatter more records in the future!

Minimum?  Honestly, there's no end in sight.  At all.  Its depressing. 

Edited by texasdago

2 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Minimum?  Honestly, there's no end in sight.  At all.  Its depressing. 

I just came to ask -- are there any long-range models that show any hope? Like those random hurricane models that show a storm forming in the Gulf three weeks out?

This shit is just fucking brutal. 

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

Threw trash cans in the street (it was trash day), Oak tree branches broken everywhere. Moss all over. Super weird.

Had the exact same thing happen to me in NB, though I think it was 2 days ago. I thought the trampoline was gonna fly off. Wind was whipping like a hurricane for about 2 minutes. My wife and kids were at Schlitterbahn and they said nothing happened there. When I checked the windmap it was all dead space around central Texas - no wind whatsoever. 

39 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I just came to ask -- are there any long-range models that show any hope? Like those random hurricane models that show a storm forming in the Gulf three weeks out?

This shit is just fucking brutal. 

Oh sure, let's root for a hurricane to hit Texas.   Sounds great.

3 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Oh sure, let's root for a hurricane to hit Texas.   Sounds great.

My post wasn't clear. I was referring to any "wishcasting" models showing a break from the heat, similar to what we see during hurricane season where they show something spinning up weeks in advance.

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

My post wasn't clear. I was referring to any "wishcasting" models showing a break from the heat, similar to what we see during hurricane season where they show something spinning up weeks in advance.

I'm sure there's a model showing that we're going to get another freezepocalypse, killing hundreds when the grid collapses, in February.  Is that what you're looking for?  Because that's what you're gonna get.

Hah my grandmother did the same in the 30s in Mexia just down the road and ate catfish nearly every single day as that's what her dad could catch and they didn't have any $$$ for food in the depression. She still kept her AC at 70 when she became middle class later in life and never looked back.

My grandfather had a decent job with Humble Oil in Mexia but got pneumonia and died in 1937. My grandmother got 56 cents from his new social security account so back to the family farm outside Groesbeck. I look at my 5 year old granddaughter and can’t imagine my mother same age dragging a long sack and getting slapped to keep up, getting cut up by cotton bolls.

The recency bias around here is nuts. “How did they fuck in that heat?” Plenty. My grandmother was one of 14. Her aunt had 21. I think they figured it out after plowing the back 40, hauling in water from the well, baking dozens of biscuits, milking the cows. Life wasn’t for pussies back then.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

My grandfather had a decent job with Humble Oil in Mexia but got pneumonia and died in 1937. My grandmother got 56 cents from his new social security account so back to the family farm outside Groesbeck. I look at my 5 year old granddaughter and can’t imagine my mother same age dragging a long sack and getting slapped to keep up, getting cut up by cotton bolls.

The recency bias around here is nuts. “How did they fuck in that heat?” Plenty. My grandmother was one of 14. Her aunt had 21. I think they figured it out after plowing the back 40, hauling in water from the well, baking dozens of biscuits, milking the cows. Life wasn’t for pussies back then.

That's right.  Texas is for tough folks.  Get out of the south if you can't handle the heat.

15 hours ago, Incredulity said:

to  groundbreakings in late August? 

Doubtful

I've had to wear a suit plenty of times for work-related outdoor events like this in the heat of summer.

But here's the funny thing. The high on that particular date in neighboring Lubbock was 87 and the low was 57 (temp records don't go that far back for Levelland). We don't know what time of day the groundbreaking was held, but I wouldn't be surprised if it occurred in the pleasantly cool morning.

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/lubbock/day/august-20

42 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Yeah, they had 14 because they needed the free labor.  That doesn't sound like living the good life.  That sounds like working your fingers to the bone to eek out a living. God bless her... she was tougher than almost all of us but that's not a life we should aspire to or romanticize.  Life expectancy for men in 1937 was 58.  The next year there woudl be a a little rally in Nuremberg.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Phrasing?

13 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Yeah, they had 14 because they needed the free labor.  That doesn't sound like living the good life.  That sounds like working your fingers to the bone to eek out a living. God bless her... she was tougher than almost all of us but that's not a life we should aspire to or romanticize.  Life expectancy for men in 1937 was 58.  The next year there woudl be a a little rally in Nuremberg.  

Also, it is literally hotter now than it was then. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

I've had to wear a suit plenty of times for work-related outdoor events like this in the heat of summer.

But here's the funny thing. The high on that particular date in neighboring Lubbock was 87 and the low was 57 (temp records don't go that far back for Levelland). We don't know what time of day the groundbreaking was held, but I wouldn't be surprised if it occurred in the pleasantly cool morning.

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/lubbock/day/august-20

And 87 in Lubbock is way different than 87 in Houston.   As weird as it sounds, I miss the business travel to Amarillo.    The summer days up there were way more tolerable than Houston.  

• Hook 'Em 1

My sprinkler system is on the fritz.  I tried to keep up starting in late June moving hoses and sprinklers around the yard.  It became nearly impossible.  I just let the lawn die.  My house is biased as close to the street as the city allows, so the front yard isn't big.  I seriously think I'm going to come close to breaking even by planting new sod this fall instead of watering the bejeezus out of the lawn all summer.

3 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

https://www.grunge.com/440093/the-wild-true-story-of-satans-storm/

Yeah, we get it---Houston is humid.  But this bullshit notion that Austin is some sort of 'dry heat' paradise like Palm Springs is moronic.  It's humid as fuck here with no rain or lush foliage to show for it.  That's the cruel part.  If you don't think it's muggy as hell here, not Houston bad but pretty fucking miserable, come talk to the back of my ball sack later this afternoon.  But come with a translator, 'cause for some reason-it only speaks Belgian.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

50 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, we get it---Houston is humid.  But this bullshit notion that Austin is some sort of 'dry heat' paradise like Palm Springs is moronic.  It's humid as fuck here with no rain or lush foliage to show for it.  That's the cruel part.  If you don't think it's muggy as hell here, not Houston bad but pretty fucking miserable, come talk to the back of my ball sack later this afternoon.  But come with a translator, 'cause for some reason-it only speaks Belgian.  

Current heat index in Houston is three degrees higher than Austin 

Houston is the worst by far. Austin, SA and Dallas are all in the next tier and Austin is probably the worst of those 3. 

Houston compared to Austin has three times as many cars, less green space per mile and is flatter with less breeze. And obviously it's more humid. 

Edited by ztejas